Author Topic: Topic for going off topic  (Read 212639 times)

SteveH

• God? She's black.
Re: Topic for going off topic
« Reply #1500 on: June 24, 2021, 01:49:29 PM »
  :o
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Roses

« Reply #1501 on: June 27, 2021, 03:49:34 PM »
Our middle daughter (47) had both her hips replaced on Tuesday having had problems with them since she had her first son 19 years ago. The surgery she had is experimental and developed in Australia where her hip replacements were made especially for her. She felt pretty grotty after the surgery, but is beginning to make good progress and will be discharged as soon as she is able to walk with the crutches, hopefully in the next day or so.

Unfortunately her youngest son (nearly 17) dislocated his shoulder whilst playing volley ball with his mates yesterday. Some years ago he badly damaged the same shoulder when falling from a tree, he had surgery on it and it would appear that it has left him with some weakness. The shoulder has been reset, but he has to go back to hospital tomorrow for more tests, to check if anything else needs to be done. His poor Dad has quite enough on his plate worrying about our girl and could do without this added concern. :o 
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1502 on: June 27, 2021, 05:10:43 PM »
Word of the week - "hammydown". Someone on Facebook posted a screenshot of someone else's Twitter post, in which she said that she was getting rid of her old hammydown furniture.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Roses

« Reply #1503 on: June 27, 2021, 05:18:13 PM »
I have two items of 'hammydown' furniture from my childhood home. One item is a few hundred years old and worth a bob or two, the other item is useful. The first item is being 'hammydown' to our eldest who has requested it.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #1504 on: June 27, 2021, 05:29:02 PM »
Personalised number plates have always seemed to me to be a riduculous self-indulgence. As it is - I'm someone who considers a motor car to be a tin box with a wheel at each corner that gets me from A to B. I expect my motor car to be reliable, safe and economical and I am prepared to spend money to ensure that it remains so. I am totslly uninterested in treating my car like a status symbol.

The other day, I saw a car bearing the registration number  ELIOTT D - I assume that this was registered as EL10 TTD. Is the way the number is now displayed legal?
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Roses

« Reply #1505 on: June 27, 2021, 06:17:18 PM »
I don't see the point of them either. My late brother-in-law liked to have a personalised number plates on his cars.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1506 on: June 28, 2021, 11:29:30 AM »
Useless fact: the world's first personalised number plate was owned before WW1 by Harry Tate, a music Hall star. It was T8.

Roses

« Reply #1507 on: June 28, 2021, 12:33:38 PM »

Roses

« Reply #1508 on: June 28, 2021, 02:01:59 PM »
Far from being heart warming this story is deeply shocking. :o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lina_Medina

The youngest woman in history in history to have a baby, which can be confirmed as factual, was five years and 7 months old. This occurred in Peru in 1933!

SusanDoris

« Reply #1509 on: June 28, 2021, 02:27:54 PM »
The Occupational Therapy dept here are very helpful. Some years ago, I havd a safety gate fixed on the small landing at the top of the stairs and I use it all the time. When I'm upstairs for more than a few minutes, I close it and that removes all concern that i might slip and fall down the stairs for any reason.

Today, the same chap has been to fix a bench seat which can be held up with a clip or put down to rest on the opposite side of the bath. I need that extra safety because, although my movements are not restricted, my orientation in the shower is more difficult because of the decrease in the peripheral vision.

Maintaining my independence is important to me!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1510 on: June 30, 2021, 11:53:56 AM »
Heart-warming photo of the week. The woman is Carson Pickett, an American soccer star, and the kid is Joseph Tidd, who was 21 months old when the photo was taken, two years ago. Both were born without a left forearm. Pickett's Wikipedia entry refers to it as a "fist-bump", but it's more of a stump-bump, I'd've thought.
Here.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 11:57:38 AM by Dr Horace Worblehat, B.Thau, D.M »

Roses

« Reply #1511 on: June 30, 2021, 02:07:44 PM »
During my school days and that of my children the most senior prefect was referred to as head girl or head boy, at our grandchildren's secondary school they are referred to as, 'head learner'. Our grandson (17) has that status, he was interviewed by senior staff and governors as were other senior pupils. He was deemed the best for the job, which involves quite a bit of work, like bringing to the attention of the senior staff any problems pupils are experiencing.

The head girl at the secondary school I attended was having an affair with one of the married male teachers! >:( We all knew about it as no doubt did the staff, nowadays the teacher would be for the high jump and rightly so. :o

Roses

« Reply #1512 on: July 05, 2021, 05:00:55 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57652297

These jetpacks look interesting. I think in my younger days I might have liked to try one out if they had been available.

Roses

« Reply #1513 on: July 09, 2021, 12:22:45 PM »
I have dropped the 'little' from my username and will be known as 'Roses' in future, which is my family nickname.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1514 on: July 09, 2021, 12:29:58 PM »
Do you know what just popped into my head.

Roses grow on you.

I think I need chocolate.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Roses

« Reply #1515 on: July 09, 2021, 01:43:29 PM »
 ;D

Roses

« Reply #1516 on: July 13, 2021, 04:42:50 PM »
Last Friday our grandson (15) an RAF cadet had a trip in a glider, he was permitted  to take the controls for a bit.  He was thrilled, it was a brilliant experience and has made him keener than ever to become a pilot. :)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1517 on: July 13, 2021, 04:45:04 PM »
Last Friday our grandson (15) an RAF cadet had a trip in a glider, he was permitted  to take the controls for a bit.  He was thrilled, it was a brilliant experience and has made him keener than ever to become a pilot. :)

I've always fancied a go at gliding.

Unfortunately there is the coward within me that assures me this will never happen!
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Roses

« Reply #1518 on: July 31, 2021, 12:02:05 PM »
We had a notice put through the door mid week saying that Mark Tami our Labour MP would be visiting our road at 11am today, and to put the notice on our window if we wanted a chat. I didn't bother as I hadn't anything to say to him. However, on my early morning walk I didn't see those leaflets in any of the windows in our road. I saw Mark walking up the road and felt a bit sorry for him so pretended to look for something in the car as he came passed our house so I could say 'hello' to him.

I first met Mark in 2008, at my request as we were having some problems with the road in which we then lived. I was looking after our baby granddaughter when he turned up. I offered him a cuppa and Tami walked the floor with her whilst I made it.

I met Tami again in 2019 when he was visiting our area. I reminded him of our first meeting, which he remembered, me being once seen never forgotten, of course. ;D We had a nice little chat today, I said he must be pleased that Keir Starmer is now leader of the Labour Party instead of Corbyn, whom he thought was a terrible leader when I saw him three years ago.

I have no doubt brightened up Mark Tami's day a lot. ;D

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1519 on: July 31, 2021, 01:51:21 PM »
If my MP, fat, puce-faced, Tory brexiter "Sir" Mike Penning, walked down my road, all I'd give him would be two fingers and a loud raspberry.

Roses

« Reply #1520 on: July 31, 2021, 03:28:54 PM »
If my MP, fat, puce-faced, Tory brexiter "Sir" Mike Penning, walked down my road, all I'd give him would be two fingers and a loud raspberry.

That says more about you than him! ::)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1521 on: July 31, 2021, 06:40:49 PM »
That says more about you than him! ::)

I see the divorce is back on  ;)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1522 on: August 05, 2021, 11:08:14 PM »
As so often happens I go down a rabbit hole on the internet and come across something I feel sure I should have known about, but didn't.

Tonight the special surprise was Dextrocardia.

That is people who are born with their heart on the right hand side of their chest.

It occurs in 1 in 12,019 pregnancies. It doesn't usually carry any adverse consequences.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1523 on: August 05, 2021, 11:17:28 PM »
The heart is really in the middle of the chest, but more to the left of the centre-line than the right (or vice-versa, with dextrocardia). When yanks put their right hand supposedly over their heart when the national anthem is played, half of them are actually covering their left lung.

Roses

« Reply #1524 on: August 06, 2021, 11:16:31 AM »
The Dextrocardia complications that some people with the condition have are:-

Blocked intestines (due to a condition called intestinal malrotation)
Heart failure.
Infection (heterotaxy with no spleen)
Infertility in males (Kartagener syndrome)
Repeated pneumonias.
Repeated sinus infections (Kartagener syndrome)
Death.