Author Topic: Topic for going off topic  (Read 212581 times)

Roses

Re: Topic for going off topic
« Reply #1525 on: August 09, 2021, 11:37:12 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58141756

The smallest baby on record has just left hospital after 13 months. Kwek Yu Xuan a baby girl born in Singapore was just 212g (7.47oz) - the weight of an apple - when she was born and measured 24cm long.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1526 on: August 11, 2021, 08:21:42 PM »
Beautiful day for a bike ride, so I went on one - first for ages.
https://www.strava.com/activities/5776850895
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Roses

« Reply #1527 on: August 15, 2021, 12:29:08 PM »
I have heard that landline phones are to be done away with in 2025, which I find very concerning. I don't like using mobiles, I just take mine with me when driving. Due to my husband's brain damage he finds it very hard to use his now, even though he could text like a teenager prior to the aneurysm bursting in his brain in 2006.

What do other posters think about landlines being scrapped?

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1528 on: August 15, 2021, 01:12:26 PM »
They've been obsolete for years, so hardly surprising.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Roses

« Reply #1529 on: August 15, 2021, 01:45:02 PM »
They've been obsolete for years, so hardly surprising.

Of course they haven't been obsolete for years, all my many contacts have landlines, which they use, as well as mobiles.

SusanDoris

« Reply #1530 on: August 15, 2021, 03:09:49 PM »
Of course they haven't been obsolete for years, all my many contacts have landlines, which they use, as well as mobiles.
I 'm absolutely with you on this one, Roses. I cannot manage with a mobile as I need large number buttons. I'll contact the RNIB during the next week or so to find out what they have to say.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #1531 on: August 15, 2021, 04:02:59 PM »
I 'm absolutely with you on this one, Roses. I cannot manage with a mobile as I need large number buttons. I'll contact the RNIB during the next week or so to find out what they have to say.

I expect the style of handsets currently used on landlines will still be available, just that they will connect over the internet - which will be available everywhere. Many of this type are already in use in offices.

It is just that wired analogue connections can be eliminated - you won't be obliged to have a small mobile phone.   
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

SusanDoris

« Reply #1532 on: August 15, 2021, 04:46:54 PM »
I expect the style of handsets currently used on landlines will still be available, just that they will connect over the internet - which will be available everywhere. Many of this type are already in use in offices.

It is just that wired analogue connections can be eliminated - you won't be obliged to have a small mobile phone.
Oh, I see, but I hope I can keep my same telephone number - I do not like these long mobile phone numbers.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1533 on: August 16, 2021, 03:28:45 PM »
Oh, I see, but I hope I can keep my same telephone number - I do not like these long mobile phone numbers.

You may well be all set up anyway. If you've got a broadband and phone deal it won't make any difference to you except you plug your phone into your router with an adaptor instead of a socket on the wall (at least I think that's it!).

This item goes into detail on the changeover:

https://www.lifeline24.co.uk/digital-telephone-switchover/
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

SusanDoris

« Reply #1534 on: August 16, 2021, 04:35:17 PM »
You may well be all set up anyway. If you've got a broadband and phone deal it won't make any difference to you except you plug your phone into your router with an adaptor instead of a socket on the wall (at least I think that's it!).

This item goes into detail on the changeover:

https://www.lifeline24.co.uk/digital-telephone-switchover/
Thank you for saying. I don't think I'll try to read the link though! :)

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #1535 on: August 16, 2021, 05:27:29 PM »

This is termed VOIP - voice over internet protocol. At my house in France I have "normal" telephone but it is plugged into the modem and I have access to over 100 countries at no extra cost. I think that quite soon telephone exchanges - as we know them - may disappear.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Roses

« Reply #1536 on: August 17, 2021, 11:30:33 AM »
The situation isn't as bad as I thought it was, my daughter has put my mind at rest.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1537 on: August 17, 2021, 04:40:11 PM »
This made me laugh:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/aug/17/the-latest-conspiracy-theory-about-the-bbc-its-lying-about-the-weather?

Why I hear you ask?

When we relocated to the South Coast we first thought about moving to Littlehampton and viewed a few properties there. Two of the four estate agents we met told us that Littlehampton had a micro-climate. We decided Littlehampton was a bit too quiet for us. So our search took us further along the coast to Worthing where once again we were regaled with tales of the fabled micro-climate specific to Worthing. A friend of ours is now looking to move to Seaford (other side of Brighton from us) we asked her to note how many times a micro-climate was mentioned to her by estate agents. She's up to three currently.

It's not a micro-climate, it's just sunnier in the South.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1538 on: August 17, 2021, 04:52:12 PM »
This made me laugh:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/aug/17/the-latest-conspiracy-theory-about-the-bbc-its-lying-about-the-weather?

Why I hear you ask?

When we relocated to the South Coast we first thought about moving to Littlehampton and viewed a few properties there. Two of the four estate agents we met told us that Littlehampton had a micro-climate. We decided Littlehampton was a bit too quiet for us. So our search took us further along the coast to Worthing where once again we were regaled with tales of the fabled micro-climate specific to Worthing. A friend of ours is now looking to move to Seaford (other side of Brighton from us) we asked her to note how many times a micro-climate was mentioned to her by estate agents. She's up to three currently.

It's not a micro-climate, it's just sunnier in the South.
Having lived in Leith rather thsn Edinburgh, it did have a micro climate. I used to be in Edinburgh in the sun, and look down to Leith which was covered in cloud.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 05:26:56 PM by Nearly Sane »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1539 on: August 17, 2021, 05:00:54 PM »
While I'm worth
My room on this Earth
I will be with you
While the Chief
Puts sunshine on Leith

Oops. Wrong thread!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 05:09:11 PM by Trentvoyager »

SusanDoris

« Reply #1540 on: August 19, 2021, 03:10:44 PM »
Phone call from my younger son yesterday - he has had a heart attack, is in hospital, had one stent, now on an urgent list for double by-pass. An absolutely dreadful shock of course.

Enki

« Reply #1541 on: August 19, 2021, 04:01:47 PM »
Sorry to hear that Susan.  Hope everything turns out alright soon.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Roses

« Reply #1542 on: August 19, 2021, 04:52:04 PM »
Poor Susan what a terrible a shock for you. :( I hope your son receives his surgery soon and makes a good recovery.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1543 on: August 19, 2021, 05:33:31 PM »
Really sorry to hear this, SusanDoris.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 05:50:22 PM by Nearly Sane »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #1544 on: August 19, 2021, 05:39:20 PM »
Awful news Susan, but hopefully the medics will get him sorted.

Take care, please.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1545 on: August 19, 2021, 05:49:09 PM »
Dreadful shock for you and your family. Take care.

SusanDoris

« Reply #1546 on: August 19, 2021, 05:55:16 PM »
Many thanksfor the above. He's just phoned to say he is going to have some sort of pre-op procedure and the by-pass surgery within a day or so.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #1547 on: August 19, 2021, 06:01:49 PM »
Keep us posted on how he is doing.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #1548 on: August 21, 2021, 07:34:52 PM »
Really sorry to hear this, Susan. I hope that his operations go well - the outcome from by-pass surgery is usually good.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

SusanDoris

« Reply #1549 on: August 22, 2021, 08:28:14 AM »
Thank you. They want his enzyme levels to come down and as they seem to have halved since he was there, they should be down more after another day's rest. Fortunately, he is sensible and is not sitting there fretting or fussing.

I was talking to my younger granddaughter yesterday and they are all hoping he will be able to attend the older one's wedding at the end of September.