Author Topic: Topic for going off topic  (Read 212689 times)

SusanDoris

Re: Topic for going off topic
« Reply #1425 on: March 03, 2021, 04:34:45 PM »
Census  - story goes something like this: phoned RNIB, I haven't got a form, info supplied and was put through to ONS, helpfulperson put me through to the census office, spoke to a young woman who took details and made appointment for  phone call to me next Wednesday but I found out straight away afterwards that I was not free that day.Phoned the 0800 number I had asked for in case of just such a case and spoke to another young woman who carefully took details and arranged for the 11th instead, but then she must have pressed the wrong key because the phone went dead. Phoned 0800 number again, spoke to a young chap who completed the alteration of day and time.

All done very quickly !
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1426 on: March 03, 2021, 04:51:41 PM »
Census  - story goes something like this: phoned RNIB, I haven't got a form, info supplied and was put through to ONS, helpfulperson put me through to the census office, spoke to a young woman who took details and made appointment for  phone call to me next Wednesday but I found out straight away afterwards that I was not free that day.Phoned the 0800 number I had asked for in case of just such a case and spoke to another young woman who carefully took details and arranged for the 11th instead, but then she must have pressed the wrong key because the phone went dead. Phoned 0800 number again, spoke to a young chap who completed the alteration of day and time.

All done very quickly !
Ongoing legal challenge to the Census which is England and Wales on the sex question and guidance.

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/sexinthecensus2021

SusanDoris

« Reply #1427 on: March 04, 2021, 08:43:25 AM »
Ongoing legal challenge to the Census which is England and Wales on the sex question and guidance.

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/sexinthecensus2021
Hmmmm, I don't suppose that will cause the census to be postponed, though, but we'll see.

Roses

« Reply #1428 on: March 04, 2021, 01:52:27 PM »
Our youngest daughter starts a new job on Wednesday. She will be the HR advisor for a well known very large company with connections in another country too. We are so proud of her as there was a lot of competition for this particular post. :) It will be her first fulltime job since her eldest child was born nearly 18 years ago. The children are old enough to look after themselves whilst their parents are at work. Their father works from home several days a week at present.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #1429 on: March 04, 2021, 03:05:56 PM »
If I hear anymore about the Oprah Winfrey interview with Harry and Megan I think I will scream!

Just saying (as they say)...
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1430 on: March 04, 2021, 03:59:05 PM »
If I hear anymore about the Oprah Winfrey interview with Harry and Megan I think I will scream!

A sentiment I think many of us share.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Roses

« Reply #1431 on: March 04, 2021, 04:05:25 PM »

So will I. >:(

Roses

« Reply #1432 on: March 07, 2021, 01:35:09 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56307466

The new Swansea bridge is really ugly, imo. :o

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1433 on: March 07, 2021, 02:23:11 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56307466

The new Swansea bridge is really ugly, imo. :o
I've seen prettier, I must admit.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1434 on: March 07, 2021, 02:36:00 PM »
I've seen prettier, I must admit.

Pass the smelling salts.

You are nearly in agreement there  ;D
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

SusanDoris

« Reply #1435 on: March 09, 2021, 11:20:38 AM »
My talking bathroom scales has told me several times recently that my weight is fifty-four-point-ten kilograms. Could someone please tell me the difference between fifty-four-point-ten and fifty-five?!

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1436 on: March 09, 2021, 11:25:20 AM »
My talking bathroom scales has told me several times recently that my weight is fifty-four-point-ten kilograms. Could someone please tell me the difference between fifty-four-point-ten and fifty-five?!

Obviously fifty-four-point-ten means your lighter  ;)

SusanDoris

« Reply #1437 on: March 09, 2021, 11:56:21 AM »
Obviously fifty-four-point-ten means your lighter  ;)
:) Perhaps some sort of an occasional built-in comfort zone?! At other times it says fifty-five. Mind you, it is slightly annoying because I think it is because of a change in medication that it is saying around 55 instead of 54 anyway!

Roses

« Reply #1438 on: March 09, 2021, 02:28:52 PM »
Making it illegal for sport's coaches and the clergy to have sex with kids aged 16/17 is to be put before Parliament. I hope it is voted in. It is already illegal for teachers and social workers to have sex with pupils of that age who are in their care.

SusanDoris

« Reply #1439 on: March 11, 2021, 11:36:23 AM »
My Census form has been completed on the phone. No problems there, and I have no objection to being asked about my sexual orientation! However, I was slightly flummoxed by the options: straight, heterosexual and two others. Could someone please tell me what is the difference between straight and heterosexual?!!
I opted for heterosexual, but it really doesn't matter one way or the other - I'll certainly be dead before the next Census and no-one who knows me would think I was anything unusual!!

ETA Curiosity killed the cat, so I looked it up! Straight means attracted to the opposite sex only in a sexual or romantic way. Heterosexual means you are attracted to the opposite sex only, but leaves out the romantic bit, for which the word 'hetero-romantic' is required apparently! :)

And well, imagine that - I've lived all my 85 years without even thinking of such nuances of meaning.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 01:17:16 PM by SusanDoris »

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #1440 on: March 11, 2021, 01:27:16 PM »
My Census form has been completed on the phone. No problems there, and I have no objection to being asked about my sexual orientation! However, I was slightly flummoxed by the options: straight, heterosexual and two others. Could someone please tell me what is the difference between straight and heterosexual?!!
I opted for heterosexual, but it really doesn't matter one way or the other - I'll certainly be dead before the next Census and no-one who knows me would think I was anything unusual!!

ETA Curiosity killed the cat, so I looked it up! Straight means attracted to the opposite sex only in a sexual or romantic way. Heterosexual means you are attracted to the opposite sex only, but leaves out the romantic bit, for which the word 'hetero-romantic' is required apparently! :)

And well, imagine that - I've lived all my 85 years without even thinking of such nuances of meaning.

In the census question "straight or heterosexual" are actually the same option, so it's just a matter of wording.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

SusanDoris

« Reply #1441 on: March 11, 2021, 01:47:58 PM »
In the census question "straight or heterosexual" are actually the same option, so it's just a matter of wording.
/Thank you. I presume you mean there is just the one box to tick. The woman talking to me didn't mention that!

Roses

« Reply #1442 on: March 11, 2021, 02:32:20 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56358257

A Parkinson's skin-swab test is being developed.

My husband's mother had Parkinson's Disease, as did one of my aunts by marriage.

Roses

« Reply #1443 on: March 14, 2021, 03:08:22 PM »
My children expressed their fondness for their old Mum with cards and gifts to celebrate Mother's Day. :)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1444 on: March 14, 2021, 04:15:08 PM »
My children expressed their fondness for their old Mum with cards and gifts to celebrate Mother's Day. :)
Just had a call with my mother for an hour and half. Sharp as ever.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1445 on: March 14, 2021, 05:04:48 PM »
Mothering Sunday, not Mother's day. It's traditionally a day off from Lent, and, as I always give up booze, I have had a pint of Theakston's Old Peculier and one of Wychwood Hobgoblin, and have two bottles of Tillington Hills cider to go.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Roses

« Reply #1446 on: March 15, 2021, 04:46:36 PM »
Thorntons the chocolate maker are to close all their stores! :o

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1447 on: March 16, 2021, 09:20:38 AM »
Thorntons the chocolate maker are to close all their stores! :o
:o

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1448 on: March 17, 2021, 01:26:21 PM »
Happy St Patrick's Day

https://youtu.be/OCbuRA_D3KU

Roses

« Reply #1449 on: March 18, 2021, 06:32:50 PM »
For a few minutes this evening we had what is described as a, 'mackerel sky'. I wish I had taken a photo, when I looked the term up I discovered they are quite rare. I can't remember when I last saw one.