Author Topic: Topic for going off topic  (Read 212667 times)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Re: Topic for going off topic
« Reply #1475 on: April 27, 2021, 11:41:56 AM »
Arty socks:

https://musearta.co.uk/collections/all

For inexplicable reasons (to me at least) I want a pair. Probably the Mondrian ones.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Robbie

« Reply #1476 on: April 27, 2021, 12:59:48 PM »
I want some too! The Tree of Life,Van Gogh's Starry Night & Irises are my favs. They're going on my wish list.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

SusanDoris

« Reply #1477 on: May 18, 2021, 10:37:47 AM »
I have definitely messed up the layout of the familiar page I know every time I go to R&E. I'm not entirely sure what it is I've done but it's a little uncomfortable with something different!
?All help gratefully received.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1478 on: May 18, 2021, 11:43:46 AM »
I need a new wristwatch, and would prefer a mechanical one to quartz or radio-controlled. The other day, I found a site called 'Sputnik 1957', which sells vintage watches made in the Soviet Union between the 1950s and the 1980s, some of which are very attractive. I bookmarked two I particularly liked, and they promptly sold out, but I think I'll go with this one, if it doesn't sell out before Friday, when I'll have the dosh to pay for it. I like the big, bold numbers and the clean, unfussy face, and the Cyrillic words lend it an exotic touch. They transliterate, apparently, as "Shturmanskie" (navigator), and "Raketa" (rocket).
https://sputnik1957s.com/collections/best-sellers/products/rare-shturmanskie-rocket-raketa-vintage-military-wrist-watch-1980s
[Edit] In fact, I've just ordered it, despite not having the dosh in my account until Friday: Santander are good about allowing you to be overdrawn for a few days.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 11:57:19 AM by Officer Crabtree »
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

SusanDoris

« Reply #1479 on: May 29, 2021, 12:32:44 PM »
It seems I have bursitis in my right hip. I've looked up all the - mostly gloomy of course! - side effects and have some special gel from the doctor to use on it. Anybody had experience with this? It is very annoying!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Roses

« Reply #1480 on: June 04, 2021, 11:37:31 AM »
I am back again now, it was mean to deprive you of my company, you must have missed me so much.  ;D ;D ;D Seriously though, I think it is a good idea to take a break from time to time.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1481 on: June 04, 2021, 12:10:06 PM »
I am back again now, it was mean to deprive you of my company, you must have missed me so much.  ;D ;D ;D Seriously though, I think it is a good idea to take a break from time to time.
Good to 'see' you

Roses

« Reply #1482 on: June 04, 2021, 12:11:32 PM »

Roses

« Reply #1483 on: June 06, 2021, 03:23:13 PM »
My children have been trying to persuade me to learn how to send texts, something I have refused to learn to do up to now. My basic phone is only taken with me when I am driving just in case there is an emergency. However, there is a valid reason now why I should learn to text so I am to be given lessons by my grandson (17). I will also have an updated phone too. I hope I manage to get the hang of it.

Roses

« Reply #1484 on: June 08, 2021, 02:17:17 PM »
I have been going through some of the scrapbooks which belong to our DS son (36). When I home schooled him I thought it would be more interesting for him to write letters to celebs he saw on TV than boring stuff like, 'I had Weetabix for my breakfast today'. I had forgotten he had so many responses, having not looked at those scrapbooks for a good number of years. Many of the celebs had written him lovely letters as well as signed photos of themselves, which was kind of them.  :)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1485 on: June 11, 2021, 11:06:27 PM »
As many of you know I don't really approve of the honours system, but I can't help but be pleased by this one:

https://www.alisonmoyetmusic.com/alison-moyet-to-receive-an-mbe/?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Christine

« Reply #1486 on: June 13, 2021, 02:28:16 PM »
Hello everyone, just saying hello, as I’ve not been around for a while. Glad to see the familiar names are still here - no doubt I’ll work out whether the unfamiliar belong to Steve or Vlad quite easily…

I hope you are all well and have not suffered too much due to either the virus or the lockdown. I’ve personally had a good lockdown, haven’t lost anyone and don’t know anyone who’s been particularly ill, either; I’ve been working from home and enjoying it. I do recognise I may have been remarkably lucky.

Personally ok, but depressed to witness the on-going destruction of our country and society by a government comprised of corrupt liars and / or incompetent buffoons. I’m proud to live in a heartening, S*n-free, red haven and try to avoid the news…

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1487 on: June 13, 2021, 02:57:41 PM »
Welcome back. I'm Steve, so the other one must be Vlad.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #1488 on: June 13, 2021, 02:58:38 PM »
Great to see you back, Christine.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1489 on: June 13, 2021, 07:06:45 PM »
Welcome back Christine. Good to see you.

Roses

« Reply #1490 on: June 15, 2021, 12:04:35 PM »
I ordered nose clips for my face masks, which are supposed to stop my specs steaming up. They arrived today, I am most disappointed with them, they are hard to fit on the mask and not very comfortable.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1491 on: June 16, 2021, 11:55:55 AM »
On Monday we drove over to Seaford in East Sussex and walked over Seaford Head and down to the Cuckmere River taking in views of the Seven Sisters. We spent a bit of time sitting on the beach by the Cuckmere and heard an approaching noise. A troop of Hare Krishna devotees dressed in the traditional orange colours were approaching playing drums and doing their usual chanting.

My partner, who for some reason was a bit grumpy, was not best pleased.

I found it rather beautiful and magical.

Roses

« Reply #1492 on: June 16, 2021, 05:07:48 PM »
That was an interesting experience. :)

Roses

« Reply #1493 on: June 18, 2021, 03:21:17 PM »
Has anyone seen the shape of the rocket Jeff Bezos has had sent into space? I must admit it made me giggle, I wonder if you think it resembles a part of the male anatomy?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1494 on: June 18, 2021, 04:22:18 PM »
Has anyone seen the shape of the rocket Jeff Bezos has had sent into space? I must admit it made me giggle, I wonder if you think it resembles a part of the male anatomy?

Filth I tell you, filth.  ;)

SteveH

• God? She's black.

Roses

« Reply #1496 on: June 20, 2021, 05:10:33 PM »
When did Father's Day begin to be celebrated here in the UK, it wasn't when I was a kid or even when my children were young?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1497 on: June 20, 2021, 05:16:07 PM »
When did Father's Day begin to be celebrated here in the UK, it wasn't when I was a kid or even when my children were young?
I remember buying Father's Day cards in the early 70s

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #1498 on: June 20, 2021, 06:08:27 PM »
I remember buying Father's Day cards in the early 70s

I'm pleased to report that these days the cards tend to come with bottles of desirable liquids.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1499 on: June 23, 2021, 05:51:13 PM »
File this under stuff I did not know:

'Meowing is cat communication for humans'
From: Izzi Howell, author of 'Cats react to science facts' and winner of the Royal Society of Science’s Young People’s Book Prize

“Adult cats only meow at humans! Kittens meow to get their mother’s attention, but wild cats stop meowing at each other as they move into adulthood. However, pet cats have realised that their cute chirps have the same effect on people as mother cats. So meowing is basically a new form of cat communication specifically for humans! “