Author Topic: Topic for going off topic  (Read 212552 times)

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
Re: Topic for going off topic
« Reply #1625 on: July 13, 2022, 10:03:11 AM »
Another milestone today on the hike from birth to death. I have applied for my bus pass.

I've had one since I was sixteen. The older one was for free transport on bus or train in the former Strathclyde region; since then it has been expanded to free bus or train transport anywhere in Scotland for registered blind people.
Curiously, the pass was introduced in Strathclyde on the insistance of bus drivers, who were fed up sorting out change for tickets!
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1626 on: July 21, 2022, 12:33:08 PM »
Home-made sauerkraut - started on Sunday, jarred an hour or so ago. I tasted a bit: sour as buggery. The fermentation was sped up by the heat on Monday and Tuesday, and to a lesser extent yesterday.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Roses

« Reply #1627 on: July 25, 2022, 05:14:37 PM »
I thought I would look in on the forum again, it is 10 months since I last posted.

I hope you are all Covid free? My husband and I have been fortunate not to have gone down with it yet, fingers crossed that continues to be the case. Members of our family have had the virus, but fortunately they had it very mildly and are now Covid free.

What a mess this country, and the world in general, seems to be in at present. Hopefully things will buck up in the next few months.

Take care everyone.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1628 on: July 25, 2022, 05:52:24 PM »
Roses

Good to see you. Glad to hear you are keeping covid free.

Take care.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #1629 on: July 25, 2022, 06:23:24 PM »
Good to see you posting here again.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1630 on: July 25, 2022, 09:57:14 PM »
I thought I would look in on the forum again, it is 10 months since I last posted.

I hope you are all Covid free? My husband and I have been fortunate not to have gone down with it yet, fingers crossed that continues to be the case. Members of our family have had the virus, but fortunately they had it very mildly and are now Covid free.

What a mess this country, and the world in general, seems to be in at present. Hopefully things will buck up in the next few months.

Take care everyone.
Good to see you

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1631 on: July 25, 2022, 10:48:34 PM »
Oh gawd - not you again! (Only joking - welcome back.)
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Roses

« Reply #1632 on: July 26, 2022, 11:11:11 AM »
Thank you for the kind comments on my return to the forum, they are much appreciated. :)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1633 on: July 29, 2022, 10:26:56 PM »
A Leith Affogatto!

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1634 on: July 29, 2022, 10:39:33 PM »
Jings, crivens and help ma boab!

Roses

« Reply #1635 on: August 01, 2022, 02:34:42 PM »
I have a TV producer trying to persuade me to do another programme featuring me to be shown next year, for which I would be given a ridiculously large sum of money. :?: If I do agree, which I am far from sure about, I will donate all the money to charity.

SusanDoris

« Reply #1636 on: August 01, 2022, 03:41:14 PM »
I have a TV producer trying to persuade me to do another programme featuring me to be shown next year, for which I would be given a ridiculously large sum of money. :?: If I do agree, which I am far from sure about, I will donate all the money to charity.
What aspect of your life would be the focus?
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1637 on: August 01, 2022, 05:40:11 PM »
Robots from the Deep

Roses

« Reply #1638 on: August 01, 2022, 06:40:08 PM »
What aspect of your life would be the focus?

They wish to do a programme about the weird happenings at our previous property. There are four programmes in the series and ours is one of them. They will use the film footage they already have on it when I took part a good number of years ago, they will pay me very generously for that even if I have no wish to take any further part in it. Apparently the people who live there now have had strange activity too.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1639 on: August 05, 2022, 05:11:05 AM »
Discovered an odd fact yesterday, in Darwin's 'The Descent of Man', which I'm reading atm: nearly all tortoiseshell cats are female. Male ones are extremely rare, and have an extra sex chromosome, being XXY, which renders them sterile. I found that last bit of info online.

Roses

« Reply #1640 on: August 09, 2022, 11:26:09 AM »
I slipped over this morning and bashed my left hip. :o It is a bit painful but as I have full movement of my leg I don't think it is broken just bruised.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1641 on: August 09, 2022, 02:51:52 PM »
Every few years, I count my books. I've just done the latest count: 3135 (give or take 10 or so, to allow for miscounts).

Roses

« Reply #1642 on: August 10, 2022, 12:16:00 PM »
Our previous property was like a library we had so many books we had collected over the years, a few thousand I should think. When we moved to our present home 10 years ago I insisted that we downsized the collection drastically, as we rarely read books these days, we prefer our Kindles. We have several bookcases but they are stocked mostly with books to which we have an attachment like those we had as kids, my schools prizes, and those given to us as presents.

Roses

« Reply #1643 on: August 14, 2022, 10:41:20 AM »
When looking at the calendar this morning I realised that 53 years ago today my husband and I were married. He was 22 and I was 19. We don't celebrate wedding anniversaries, just not us.   

Roses

« Reply #1644 on: August 18, 2022, 10:41:50 AM »
Our grandson has got the grades he requires for his place at university. We are so PROUD. :)

Roses

« Reply #1645 on: August 26, 2022, 12:20:33 PM »
I am taking another break from this forum. There is a lot going on in my life at present, which needs my attention. I wish you all well, especially those who have health problems.

Robbie

« Reply #1646 on: August 27, 2022, 01:42:50 PM »
Roses I was just going to say I am glad to see you; though I haven't been posting much recently, I look in occasionally. Glad you've avoided Covid, nobody in my family has had it so far. As for the country we will muddle through and things will get better. I hope all goes well with you.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #1647 on: August 31, 2022, 09:49:29 AM »
I'm pleased to see you, too, Roses. I have enjoyed your inputs (though not necessarily agreed with them) since the BBC days  ... long ago.

Anyway ...

I am gazing out on sun-soaked France at the freshness of a new day. My eardrums, however, are being assaulted by the constant sound of a very large aircraft which has been circulating at a low level (perhaps 10,000 feet) for over half an hour. With my neighbours, I have determined that it is an Airbus Beluga - which is used to transport wing components from north Wales to the assembly line at Toulouse (which is about 100 km SE).

So why is it behaving like this? My guess is that it has taken off from Blagnac and has developed a fault and is having to burn off fuel before being able to return.

While I have been typing the noise has gone ... I hope that it lands safely.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Roses

« Reply #1648 on: September 04, 2022, 02:31:35 PM »
My life is a little less busy at present, so I thought I would pop back to see how you are all doing. I know I must have been missed, so it would be cruel to deprive you of my company for too long, especially Steve. :P ;D

My life is likely to get very busy again on Monday and Tuesday week when the BBC film crew will be there and a presenter will be interviewing me. I will be taking a break from the forum again then as I shall be absolutely knackered. I will still have all my chores to do, and my husband to look after.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1649 on: October 18, 2022, 06:43:55 PM »

Channel 4 on BBC's 100th birthday. First reply is very good