Author Topic: What Is God Made From?  (Read 155413 times)

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
Re: What Is God Made From?
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2015, 08:24:53 AM »
How would you describe something which is unlike anything else?

No intelligent person would try! If it is unlike anything else then you have no words to describe it with ... it is completely indescribable.
Right that's that problem solved then ("what constitutes the form of God?").
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Leonard James

« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2015, 08:38:42 AM »

No intelligent person would try! If it is unlike anything else then you have no words to describe it with ... it is completely indescribable.

Since "God" is indescribable, it follows that we can know nothing about it nor its wishes, and yet many people insist that we do.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2015, 08:55:03 AM »

Since "God" is indescribable, it follows that we can know nothing about it nor its wishes, and yet many people insist that we do.
But God made Himself known to us by becoming one of us.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Leonard James

« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2015, 08:59:36 AM »

So you believe! And even supposing it to be true, why can't believers all agree on his qualities and his wishes? It is quite obvious from all these forums that they don't.

Alien

« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2015, 09:38:15 AM »

Who has said that God is indescribable? Not I. The OP was about "what constitutes the form of God" or, less accurately, "what he is made of".

So, no, it does not follow that we can know nothing about it (sic) nor its (sic) wishes.
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Alien

« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2015, 09:42:08 AM »

So you believe! And even supposing it to be true, why can't believers all agree on his qualities and his wishes? It is quite obvious from all these forums that they don't.
What's that got to do with it?

Leonard James

« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2015, 10:22:09 AM »
OK, Alien and Alan,

I accept that you believe you know something about "God" because of Jesus.

Alien

« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2015, 11:12:09 AM »
OK, Alien and Alan,

I accept that you believe you know something about "God" because of Jesus.
Good man, Mr. James.

Shaker

« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2015, 11:27:14 AM »
The key word being 'believe,' of course.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Shaker

« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2015, 12:35:41 PM »
You seem to have misunderstood the meaning of "circular reasoning". That the internal witness of the Holy Spirit cannot be demonstrated to others I readily accept, but that is not circular reasoning.
No I haven't misunderstood it at all. Employing an argument in which the the thing yet to be proven is contained within the premises is question-begging/circular reasoning/petitio principii if you prefer. As you have done in trying to use "Even if all the other arguments were not very strong, we would still have this witness from God himself" as an argument for the existence of God. God is the thing yet to be demonstrated to exist - you can't assume the existence of God when trying to marshal an argument for God. Capisce?

If I were to tell you that I have a rubber band on my desk near my keyboard, that is something which is true, but is something I cannot demonstrate to you (particularly since I have now moved it off), yet in your view that would be "circular reasoning".
No it wouldn't. It's clear that out of the two of us, I'm not the one who misunderstands circular reasoning.

Yest, it is a cut and paste job. It is something I wrote out some time back.
Without even bothering to take any cognisance of all the counter-arguments that shoot down your woeful claims, evidently.

Oh and if I want fancy language like "absolutely groaning with logical fallacies and horrendous non-arguments which have been skinned, boned, gutted and given a decent burial a million times before", I'll have a word with Nearly Sane.
I'm sorry that some pretty ordinary, basic English was a problem to you.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:47:47 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Alien

« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2015, 03:46:57 PM »
Why? Belief in itself is neutral. Whether it is worth anything depends on whether that belief is correct.

Shaker

« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2015, 05:07:38 PM »
Why? Belief in itself is neutral. Whether it is worth anything depends on whether that belief is correct.
Absolutely bang on.

So ... ?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 05:25:46 PM by Shaker »

Alien

« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2015, 08:15:31 PM »
Absolutely bang on.

So ... ?
It means your #110 doesn't say much.

Alien

« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2015, 08:21:38 PM »
You seem to have misunderstood the meaning of "circular reasoning". That the internal witness of the Holy Spirit cannot be demonstrated to others I readily accept, but that is not circular reasoning.
No I haven't misunderstood it at all. Employing an argument in which the the thing yet to be proven is contained within the premises is question-begging/circular reasoning/petitio principii if you prefer. As you have done in trying to use "Even if all the other arguments were not very strong, we would still have this witness from God himself" as an argument for the existence of God. God is the thing yet to be demonstrated to exist - you can't assume the existence of God when trying to marshal an argument for God. Capisce?
No, you have indeed misunderstood. If God demonstrates his existence to someone through something other than an argument for his existence, then that is not a circular argument. I am not seeing to demonstrate to you that God exists. What I wrote was that if God gives us a witness to himself, even if we can't demonstrate it to others, that is sufficient reason for us to believe. That's why I wrote that this bit was for Christians (in #92). It was not meant to be a means of convincing others of God's existence. Maybe I didn't put that very clearly.

If I meet my wife, but cannot demonstrate to you that she exists, that is not a circular argument.

If I were to tell you that I have a rubber band on my desk near my keyboard, that is something which is true, but is something I cannot demonstrate to you (particularly since I have now moved it off), yet in your view that would be "circular reasoning".
No it wouldn't. It's clear that out of the two of us, I'm not the one who misunderstands circular reasoning.
You were arguing, if I have understood you correctly, that my inability to demonstrate something to you that I know to be correct is circular reasoning. See the bit in bold at the top.

Yest, it is a cut and paste job. It is something I wrote out some time back.
Without even bothering to take any cognisance of all the counter-arguments that shoot down your woeful claims, evidently.

Oh and if I want fancy language like "absolutely groaning with logical fallacies and horrendous non-arguments which have been skinned, boned, gutted and given a decent burial a million times before", I'll have a word with Nearly Sane.
I'm sorry that some pretty ordinary, basic English was a problem to you.
Nope, "pretty ordinary, basic English" is not a problem for me. If you would like to do a test with me to see who is better at understanding pretty ordinary, basic English, I'd be happy to give it a go. As it is ""absolutely groaning with logical fallacies and horrendous non-arguments which have been skinned, boned, gutted and given a decent burial a million times before" is very pretty language, claims much and demonstrates nothing.

Shaker

« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2015, 09:42:15 PM »
No, you have indeed misunderstood. If God demonstrates his existence to someone through something other than an argument for his existence, then that is not a circular argument.
Quite right. It isn't.

What is a circular argument is what I already stated, to wit:

Employing an argument in which the the thing yet to be proven is contained within the premises is question-begging/circular reasoning/petitio principii if you prefer. As you have done in trying to use "Even if all the other arguments were not very strong, we would still have this witness from God himself" as an argument for the existence of God. God is the thing yet to be demonstrated to exist - you can't assume the existence of God when trying to marshal an argument for God.
... which is what you did in section 6 of #92 already referred to.

I am not seeing to demonstrate to you that God exists.

... a comment which is, to say the very least, rather hollow given that you have not only written/compiled but posted here (presumably so that others can read it - otherwise, why?) a meretricious 3,000+ word essay on reasons why somebody should believe in God.

What I wrote was that if God gives us a witness to himself, even if we can't demonstrate it to others, that is sufficient reason for us to believe.
Except that it isn't. This is still more circular reasoning, in that it assumes the very thing (God) that the argument seeks to demonstrate (God giving a witness to himself). I'm trying, and I fully admit failing, to see how I can possibly make this any clearer and simpler than I have already tried to make it. To believe that God has given you a witness to himself requires that you already have a prior belief that there is a God in the first place to give a witness to himself. God has to be the starting point, the first assumption - the presupposition if you will - before you accept the conclusion (God has given a witness to himself) as valid. This is an unevidenced, unsupported, in fact if you're a non-cognitivist like me an undefined assumption. Atheists see no reason, no rationale, no justification for making that assumption. In that sense atheism is the null hypothesis, the default, the application of Occam's Razor to the God hypothesis: the basic ground state so long as God remains unevidenced (and, again for the non-cognitivists, undefined).

Furthermore, your determination that God has given a witness to himself could, for a multitude of differing but related reasons, be entirely mistaken. And, while we're about it, for all manner of reasons - principally those bearing upon human psychology - is vastly more likely to be so.

That's why I wrote that this bit was for Christians (in #92). It was not meant to be a means of convincing others of God's existence. Maybe I didn't put that very clearly.
You didn't. Why would it only be for Christians? This strikes me as mounting an argument for the belief in something aimed specifically at people who already believe in that something. What, exactly, is the point of that? Yes, yes, yes, I know that the old phrase preaching to the choir is the first, most obvious, perhaps even cliched recourse here, but it absolutely fits this case.

If I meet my wife, but cannot demonstrate to you that she exists, that is not a circular argument.
Correct. It isn't. But then that isn't what I said, either about your wife or your rubber band collection.

As it is ""absolutely groaning with logical fallacies and horrendous non-arguments which have been skinned, boned, gutted and given a decent burial a million times before" is very pretty language, claims much and demonstrates nothing.
It claims that you are either ignorant of or know but choose not to engage with the multifarious points and arguments, put forward by an embarrassment of riches of philosophers, scientists and other thinkers down the ages, which either rebut or refute the arguments you marshalled in #92. Your #92 demonstrates this.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:56:06 PM by Shaker »

Alien

« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2015, 10:03:13 PM »
No, you have indeed misunderstood. If God demonstrates his existence to someone through something other than an argument for his existence, then that is not a circular argument.
Quite right. It isn't.

What is a circular argument is what I already stated, to wit:

Employing an argument in which the the thing yet to be proven is contained within the premises is question-begging/circular reasoning/petitio principii if you prefer. As you have done in trying to use "Even if all the other arguments were not very strong, we would still have this witness from God himself" as an argument for the existence of God. God is the thing yet to be demonstrated to exist - you can't assume the existence of God when trying to marshal an argument for God.
... which is what you did in section 6 of #92 already referred to.

I am not seeing to demonstrate to you that God exists.

... a comment which is, to say the very least, rather hollow given that you have not only written/compiled but posted here (presumably so that others can read it - otherwise, why?) a meretricious 3,000+ word essay on reasons why somebody should believe in God.
We may be arguing past each other here. Jack Knave asked why I believed in the existence of God.

I replied, starting off, "Why should I believe in God?

It is often assumed, by Christians as well as non-Christians, that there are no concrete reasons for believing that God exists. Christianity has suffered from a reliance on feelings or “just having faith” for about a century. However, there are good reasons to believe in God’s existence." and then gave 5 reasons why anyone should believe in God's existence. I then gave a 6th one which was,

"6)   The Internal Witness of the Holy Spirit (Christians only)
When a person becomes a follower of Jesus Christ, they are “indwelt” by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit in us gives us an assurance that we are sons and daughters of God (Romans 8.15, 16 says, “For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, ‘Abba, Father.’ The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.”). The Holy Spirit starts to change us, our desires and our actions.

Even if all the other arguments were not very strong, we would still have this witness from God himself."

Whether very clear or not, that was intended for "Christians only". My apologies if it was not very clear. As you say, the whole thing was a copy and paste job from something I wrote many months ago. It is only to his children that God witnesses that they are his children.

What I wrote was that if God gives us a witness to himself, even if we can't demonstrate it to others, that is sufficient reason for us to believe.
Except that it isn't. This is still more circular reasoning, in that it assumes the very thing (God) that the argument seeks to demonstrate (God giving a witness to himself). I'm trying, and I fully admit failing, to see how I can possibly make this any clearer and simpler than I have already tried to make it. To believe that God has given you a witness to himself requires that you already have a prior belief that there is a God in the first place to give a witness to himself. God has to be the starting point, the first assumption - the presupposition if you will - before you accept the conclusion (God has given a witness to himself) as valid. This is an unevidenced, unsupported, in fact if you're a non-cognitivist like me an undefined assumption. Atheists see no reason, no rationale, no justification for making that assumption.
This is incorrect. If I have no prior belief in the existence of David Beckham, but then David Beckham turns up on my doorstep and I therefore start to believe that David Beckham exists, that is not circular reasoning.

Furthermore, your determination that God has given a witness to himself could, for a multitude of differing but related reasons, be entirely mistaken. And, while we're about it, for all manner of reasons - principally those bearing upon human psychology - is vastly more likely to be so.
I agree I could be wrong, but my mistake would not be circular reasoning which is what you are arguing.

That's why I wrote that this bit was for Christians (in #92). It was not meant to be a means of convincing others of God's existence. Maybe I didn't put that very clearly.
You didn't. Why would it only be for Christians? This strikes me as mounting an argument for the belief in something aimed specifically at people who already believe in that something. What, exactly, is the point of that? Yes, yes, yes, I know that the old phrase preaching to the choir is the first, most obvious, perhaps even cliched recourse here, but it absolutely fits this case.

Correct. It isn't. But then that isn't what I said, either about your wife or your rubber band collection.
Actually, it is. At least that was what I intended.

As it is ""absolutely groaning with logical fallacies and horrendous non-arguments which have been skinned, boned, gutted and given a decent burial a million times before" is very pretty language, claims much and demonstrates nothing.
It claims that you are either ignorant of or know but choose not to engage with the multifarious points and arguments, put forward by an embarrassment of riches of philosophers, scientists and other thinkers down the ages, which either rebut or refute the arguments you marshalled in #92. Your #92 demonstrates this.
Did you get that from Nearly Sane or did you make that up yourself? You could take over from Stephen Fry if he ever quits QI (that's a complement, by the way).

Shaker

« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2015, 10:16:23 PM »
This is incorrect. If I have no prior belief in the existence of David Beckham, but then David Beckham turns up on my doorstep and I therefore start to believe that David Beckham exists, that is not circular reasoning.
How do you know that it is Mr. Beckham on your doorstep?

I would know if David Beckham - or rather, since that particular name must be shared by thousands in this country and, perhaps, hundreds of thousands planet-wide, that David Beckham, the David Beckham, the luxuriantly illustrated David Beckham, footballer David Beckham and husband of ex-Spice Girl Victoria Beckham nee Adams David Beckham - turned up on my doorstep because I already have a target identity in mind. I've seen pictures of him, both still and moving, heard him speak, and experienced Leonard James drool over him. (Sorry Len!). In other words, I can identify David Beckham only because I already have a prior image - a target, as I've said - of David Beckham against which I can compare anybody who turns up on my doorstep. Unless he's fallen on hard times, moved countries and changed jobs, when the postman rings my doorbell tomorrow it won't be David Beckham.

If I didn't have that prior knowledge of David Beckham, and somebody turned up on my doorstep, I would have absolutely no idea that it was David Beckham. Somebody living a wild, "undeveloped" existence flown over from the wilds of northern Mongolia or Siberia to my house would not recognise Mr. Beckham if he rings my doorbell because they wouldn't have that frame of reference that I you, and Len have. They'd have no prior belief in that (or the) David Beckham, so it would be just the experience of just some man on the doorstep. Could be anybody.

In fact, to them, it is anybody.

Did you get that from Nearly Sane or did you make that up yourself? You could take over from Stephen Fry if he ever quits QI (that's a complement, by the way).
Thank you very much. No, not from Nearly Sane - all my own work (ignoring for the nonce all the philosophers and scientists and other generally smart-bottomed types I've ever read ...).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:43:57 PM by Shaker »

Alan Burns

« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2015, 11:21:16 AM »

Conscious mind does have some part to play in certain kinds of decision making, the illusion we are all under is that our conscious mind is in control .....
I agree that most of the work done by the human brain is done without our conscious awareness being in control, but our awareness does have manual override over certain functions, such as breathing - which enables our ability to speak.

Just returning to the question of whether free will events occur in real time.  I was a fan of the group Cream, with Ginger Baker on drums, Eric Clapton on guitar and Jack Bruce on bass.  I have several of their live recordings, in which they would improvise on their instruments for as long as 30 minutes on some tracks.  To improvise, they would need to be able to interact with their fellow musicians in real time using their power of free will to play what their conscious awareness inspires them to do.  This will also be true for all improvised Jazz.  There is no doubt in my mind that our conscious awareness can do whatever is needed to induce free will actions in real time.  We (our soul) control our actions of free will - not deterministic chemical reactions.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 12:31:32 PM by Alan Burns »
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

floo

« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2015, 11:50:59 AM »
Does the deity like Jazz?

Shaker

« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2015, 11:52:18 AM »
The Jazzers say yes because it says so in their book, but the non-Jazzers say no because it also says so in the book.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2015, 12:08:38 PM »

Just returning to the question of whether free will events occur in real time.  I was a fan of the group Cream, with Ginger Baker on drums, Eric Clapton on guitar and Jack Bruce on bass.  I have several of their live recordings, in which they would improvise on their instruments for as long as 30 minutes on some tracks.  To improvise, they would need to be able to interact with their fellow musicians in real time using their power of free will to play what their conscious awareness inspires them to do.  This will also be true for all improvised Jazz.  There is no doubt in my mind that our conscious awareness can do whatever is needed to induce free will actions in real time.  We (our soul) control our actions of free will - not deteministic chemical reactions.

So, learning to play an instrument well, and also knowing scales and modes and how to make use of these when playing in certain styles (and Blues playing is quite simple in this respect), and also playing with musicians whom you regularly play with so that there is familiarity involved, has nothing to do with it?

Of course it takes skill of to play anything well even when the underlying complexity isn't all that difficult, and in relation to Blues guitar BB King is a good example of this, but any competent guitar player could happily jam along for 30 minutes (if they didn't get too bored before then) playing standard Blues patterns with people they regularly played with.

Your inclination towards personal incredulity is getting in the way again, Alan, and all you are really describing here is the application of learned skills and practical experience.

Now, I've got my telecaster ready and plugged in (and I have too!), so lets do a Blues in G and stick strictly to the pentatonic - I'll count you in - a one, two, three, four - I can't hear you!

Alan Burns

« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2015, 12:23:44 PM »

Now, I've got my telecaster ready and plugged in (and I have too!), so lets do a Blues in G and stick strictly to the pentatonic - I'll count you in - a one, two, three, four - I can't hear you!
I would happily join in on my Fender Strat, but my Peavey amp has died a death.   :(

torridon

« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2015, 06:05:22 PM »

Conscious mind does have some part to play in certain kinds of decision making, the illusion we are all under is that our conscious mind is in control .....
I agree that most of the work done by the human brain is done without our conscious awareness being in control, but our awareness does have manual override over certain functions, such as breathing - which enables our ability to speak.

Just returning to the question of whether free will events occur in real time.  I was a fan of the group Cream, with Ginger Baker on drums, Eric Clapton on guitar and Jack Bruce on bass.  I have several of their live recordings, in which they would improvise on their instruments for as long as 30 minutes on some tracks.  To improvise, they would need to be able to interact with their fellow musicians in real time using their power of free will to play what their conscious awareness inspires them to do.  This will also be true for all improvised Jazz.  There is no doubt in my mind that our conscious awareness can do whatever is needed to induce free will actions in real time.  We (our soul) control our actions of free will - not deterministic chemical reactions.

Ah, I see you're still not getting this consciousness lag thing. Clapton, Baker and Bruce jamming together are all unaware of their consciousness lag but they are all playing in a perceived reality that is half a second displaced from real time. They all suffer the same lag (more or less) as indeed does everyone in the audience as indeed would any dog or cat in the audience, in fact anything with a comparable brain would also be living life subject to the same lag, but without realising it. We implicitly trust our conscious experience as being authentic, true to reality, but subtle insights derived from cognitive science reveals this not to be the case.

Imagine you stub your toe on a rock. The nerve impulse generated will fly up your leg and up the spinal cord at high speed, but once it meets the dense tangle of neural networks in your head the signal is slowed immensely; electrical signalling in the nervous system is far faster than the biochemical messaging that happens in a brain and that pain impulse has to propogate back and forth through billions of interconnected neurons many times for it to register as conscious experience. That takes time; a conscious thought for example travels at around 50 - 100 miles an hour, extremely slow compared to nervous system operation. This is why our conscious experience inevitably lags some time behind reality.

Jack Knave

« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2015, 07:50:55 PM »
You cannot consciously choose which memory to recall.
But my point is that you can consciously choose to recall a memory.  It is the deliberate act to recall which is invoked by your consciousness.  Allowing your sub conscious to choose which memory to invoke is not proof that the act of recall was also done by the subconscious.
This act still requires a motivation, an initial reason for doing it, and in turn reflects one's nature.

Jack Knave

« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2015, 07:56:26 PM »
In my opinion, Freewill does not exist, so that nips that one in the bud. Also, your idea requires the unqualified element that you name as God. Empirical evidence required.
FIFY, Jack.
I have no idea what FIFY means. Thank you Shaker for that.

No Hope, logically and philosophically it can be shown to be pie in the sky. It is a fix for theists to justify the actions of their God, which in all respects is totally unjustifiable.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:15:46 PM by Jack Knave »