Author Topic: What Is God Made From?  (Read 155473 times)

Shaker

Re: What Is God Made From?
« Reply #225 on: May 12, 2015, 08:53:17 PM »
Who is Mr Thorne?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

torridon

« Reply #226 on: May 13, 2015, 06:49:39 AM »
I believe that every human being has a natural awareness of what is good and what is bad, but they also have a natural tendency to override this awareness in order to indulge in some form of self centred activity.  Being a Christian, I can identify the awareness of good and bad with our God given conscience, and our tendency to override it as the temptation of the Devil.  The Devil will use any logical argument to tempt humans into doing what is against God's will.

We all have a conscience, ie feelings of guilt at doing what what is wrong or elation at doing what is right.  But that sense of conscience is not an infallible to what is actually right, or wrong.  Much of what we consider right and wrong is merely cultural mores.  A man from south India would probably feel guilty about eating animal flesh whereas a man from northern India would probably have no such qualms.  So, which man is being tempted by the Devil ? And how could you work that out ?

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #227 on: May 13, 2015, 08:22:43 AM »
Alan, is your god given concience separate from you god given soul?
I would assume that your conscience properties are hard wired into your brain cells through built in instinct and learnt experience.

However, your ability to override your conscience using free will is certainly a property of your soul.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Alan Burns

« Reply #228 on: May 13, 2015, 08:36:40 AM »
We all have a conscience, ie feelings of guilt at doing what what is wrong or elation at doing what is right.  But that sense of conscience is not an infallible to what is actually right, or wrong.  Much of what we consider right and wrong is merely cultural mores.  A man from south India would probably feel guilty about eating animal flesh whereas a man from northern India would probably have no such qualms.  So, which man is being tempted by the Devil ? And how could you work that out ?
I can only speak personally by stating that my own conscience is helped by teachings of the Christian bible and the Roman Catholic Church.  I acknowledge that other faiths and cultures will have different teachings which may be derived from sources other than the word of God or the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Alan Burns

« Reply #229 on: May 13, 2015, 08:58:50 AM »
Alan replied that while he may be capable of being deceived by other people, he cannot be deceived about his relationship with what he thinks is his god. In other words he believes that he is infallible on this point and in this regard.

I would not say it was me that was infallible, but God's presence in me.

floo

« Reply #230 on: May 13, 2015, 10:26:02 AM »
Alan replied that while he may be capable of being deceived by other people, he cannot be deceived about his relationship with what he thinks is his god. In other words he believes that he is infallible on this point and in this regard.

Oh dear that is a very dangerous position to take, :o especially as there is no evidence a deity exists. The Biblical 'heroes' no doubt took a similar position, and did dreadful things in consequence. One should take responsibility for one's own actions not think they are being led by a deity the can't even prove exists!

Alan Burns

« Reply #231 on: May 13, 2015, 10:37:59 AM »

Oh dear that is a very dangerous position to take, :o especially as there is no evidence a deity exists. The Biblical 'heroes' no doubt took a similar position, and did dreadful things in consequence. One should take responsibility for one's own actions not think they are being led by a deity the can't even prove exists!
If you continue to deny the existence of God you will have to say that I am deluded, but I can at least reassure you that I am not posessed by anything evil.  God's presence in me certainly does not lead me into doing dreadful things - indeed it is quite the opposite. (You shall know them by their fruits)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: May 13, 2015, 10:48:29 AM »

If you continue to deny the existence of God you will have to say that I am deluded, but I can at least reassure you that I am not posessed by anything evil.  God's presence in me certainly does not lead me into doing dreadful things - indeed it is quite the opposite. (You shall know them by their fruits)

Did you oppose gay marriage?

floo

« Reply #233 on: May 13, 2015, 12:35:37 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

If the story of Abraham is true he was prepared to sacrifice his son because he thought the deity wanted him to. That is EVIL! >:(

Enki

« Reply #234 on: May 13, 2015, 02:31:36 PM »

Unfortunately Alan I am not talking about human logic here, I am talking about those inner feelings which you call 'conscience'. There are many people whose 'conscience' exhorts them to support a certain 'moral' stance which can be diametrically opposed to others, who would claim that their 'conscience' leads them to accept a different 'moral' stance, and with the same integrity. People of any or no religion fit into either of these categories.

Hence I would question the whole idea of 'conscience' being the arbiter of what is right/wrong in any objective sense at all.

And so, the honest question I asked you, and one which you have not provided any satisfactory answer to, is whose conscience decides what is right and what is wrong?

All I have received back from you are platitudes which simply reflect your conviction that by accepting your version of the Christian God this will make everything clear to me. This is simply an assertion that you are right, and other people with opposing convictions must be wrong. Alan, this is no way to construct an argument, especially to people like me, who are not party to your assertions.

Remember I have no belief in any God(or Devil) unless and until evidence accrues that any exist. Hence such a sentence as "When we accept God's amazing grace, the Devil's scales of deception will fall away." is of no particular use or meaning to me. If you really want to connect with others who do not share your beliefs, I would humbly suggest you attempt to engage cogently with arguments and questions rather than rely on simple assertions and a proselytising attitude.

Unless, of course, you are incapable of doing so...
I believe that every human being has a natural awareness of what is good and what is bad, but they also have a natural tendency to override this awareness in order to indulge in some form of self centred activity.  Being a Christian, I can identify the awareness of good and bad with our God given conscience, and our tendency to override it as the temptation of the Devil.  The Devil will use any logical argument to tempt humans into doing what is against God's will.

Again, no logic involved, Alan. Plenty of people feel that their 'conscience' leads them to distinguish between right and wrong. And many of them, I suggest, might well take a different stand to yourself on matters of morality. I also suggest that many, if not most of these would also feel that their 'consciences' are not being overridden by their own self interest. Some of them may also, like you, believe that their 'consciences' are God given, and that the 'consciences' of certain other people, (perhaps ones like you), have been overridden by the temptation of the Devil.

Notice, Alan, I'm talking about people's feelings and beliefs here, not logic.

So, although from your position you won't see it like this, from my position the idea of 'conscience' can certainly be important for each individual but has nothing to add to the argument for an objective morality at all.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #235 on: May 13, 2015, 03:08:43 PM »

....which is exactly the type of thing that a deluded and/or possessed by evil, person would say!
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

floo

« Reply #236 on: May 13, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »

....which is exactly the type of thing that a deluded and/or possessed by evil, person would say!

Exactly!

floo

« Reply #237 on: May 13, 2015, 04:48:49 PM »
A question for Alan Burns. You have a voice in your head, which you thought was the deity telling you to kill your child, as apparently happened to Abraham. Would you obey, tell the deity to get lost, or seek psychiatric attention?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #238 on: May 13, 2015, 06:56:58 PM »

I opposed the idea of gay holy matrimony and the mind fascist antitheist insistence on it.
Since we live in a secular country and have done for longer than secularists would like to admit preferring the myth of labouring under the theist yolk, secularists have the right to any marriage they want.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #239 on: May 13, 2015, 07:15:22 PM »

I opposed the idea of gay holy matrimony and the mind fascist antitheist insistence on it.
Since we live in a secular country and have done for longer than secularists would like to admit preferring the myth of labouring under the theist yolk, secularists have the right to any marriage they want.

Ah supporting gay marriage is fascist. Mmm

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #240 on: May 13, 2015, 07:21:25 PM »

Usual unthinking unself-critical brutish bollocks from Nearly Sane.

I said An antitheist wanting enforced gay Holy matrimony was fascist....get your facts straight.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #241 on: May 13, 2015, 07:27:12 PM »

Usual unthinking unself-critical brutish bollocks from Nearly Sane.

I said An antitheist wanting enforced gay Holy matrimony was fascist....get your facts straight.
Your abuse of the English language made nothing clear. You randomly replied to a very specific question to Alan and threw in the word fascist. Grow up, and stop with your random nonsense.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #242 on: May 14, 2015, 01:31:55 AM »

If you continue to deny the existence of God you will have to say that I am deluded

I deny the existence of God and I think you are deluded.

I do, of course, reserve the right to change my mind if you ever come up with any evidence of God.  I'm pretty confident that is not going to happen, though.

but I can at least reassure you that I am not posessed by anything evil.

You'll be pleased to know that I also deny the idea of possession and evil as an external entity.

God's presence in me certainly does not lead me into doing dreadful things - indeed it is quite the opposite. (You shall know them by their fruits)

If your delusion that God exists is all that stops you from doing dreadful things, I fully encourage you to keep on with your delusion.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #243 on: May 14, 2015, 01:35:58 AM »

Name any antitheist that wants to enforce gay Holy matrimony. 

hasn't it occurred to you that antitheists think of holy matrimony as an irrelevance, by definition? 

Thuis is another of your bullshit straw men. 
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Alan Burns

« Reply #244 on: May 14, 2015, 08:55:18 AM »
A question for Alan Burns. You have a voice in your head, which you thought was the deity telling you to kill your child, as apparently happened to Abraham. Would you obey, tell the deity to get lost, or seek psychiatric attention?
God would never allow me to do evil deeds in His name.
You seem to put a lot of emphasis on one story from the old testament to justify your idea of an evil deity.  Jesus performs several miraculous healings on children in the New Testament, and I know He loves my children.

Alan Burns

« Reply #245 on: May 14, 2015, 09:04:12 AM »

Again, no logic involved, Alan. Plenty of people feel that their 'conscience' leads them to distinguish between right and wrong. And many of them, I suggest, might well take a different stand to yourself on matters of morality. I also suggest that many, if not most of these would also feel that their 'consciences' are not being overridden by their own self interest. Some of them may also, like you, believe that their 'consciences' are God given, and that the 'consciences' of certain other people, (perhaps ones like you), have been overridden by the temptation of the Devil.

Notice, Alan, I'm talking about people's feelings and beliefs here, not logic.

But when you say that you support assisted dying, are you not using some form of logic to justify this stance?

Alan Burns

« Reply #246 on: May 14, 2015, 09:12:18 AM »
It is God who opposes Gay marriage

BeRational

« Reply #247 on: May 14, 2015, 09:18:25 AM »

If you did not 'know' gods opinion, what would yours be?
I see gullible people, everywhere!

floo

« Reply #248 on: May 14, 2015, 09:24:15 AM »

And you know that for a fact do you?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #249 on: May 14, 2015, 09:34:56 AM »

So he used you as his tool to do so? Point is it could be thought that your opposition was 'dreadful' and by your fruits I know you to act in that way