Author Topic: What Is God Made From?  (Read 155406 times)

BashfulAnthony

Re: What Is God Made From?
« Reply #325 on: May 17, 2015, 05:38:23 PM »
"Love thine enemies, etc, etc."   Why do you always ignore Jesus' sayings?

Why do so many Christians?
The Devil targets Christians.

He doesn't have to target them, some are more than willing to do his bidding by bringing the faith into disrepute. A few of the Christian posters on this forum are doing a great job for their master, Satan, with their sick and unpleasant comments directed at folk who don't see it their way! >:(

You do a pretty good job for the "other side" yourself.
BA.

Jesus said to him, 的 am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #326 on: May 17, 2015, 05:53:31 PM »
A question for Alan Burns. You have a voice in your head, which you thought was the deity telling you to kill your child, as apparently happened to Abraham. Would you obey, tell the deity to get lost, or seek psychiatric attention?
God would never allow me to do evil deeds in His name.
And bang goes your freewill, Alan!!! Which just shows what a load of crap you've been talking. You haven't a clue have you, but you're too stupid to realise it.
But he would allow me to do evil of my own free will, but it would not be in His name.

But he does allow other people to do evil deeds in his name?

http://gaycitynews.nyc/god-made-me-do-it-defense-in-2011-midtown-murder/
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/68545052/pawn-shop-murderaccused-afraid-his-children-would-be-killed
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/god-told-me-to-do-it/

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #327 on: May 17, 2015, 05:55:41 PM »
A question for Alan Burns. You have a voice in your head, which you thought was the deity telling you to kill your child, as apparently happened to Abraham. Would you obey, tell the deity to get lost, or seek psychiatric attention?
And bang goes your freewill, Alan!!! Which just shows what a load of crap you've been talking. You haven't a clue have you, but you're too stupid to realise it.
But he would allow me to do evil of my own free will, but it would not be in His name.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/68545052/pawn-shop-murderaccused-afraid-his-children-would-be-killed

He doesn't allow them to;  they just do
BA.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #328 on: May 17, 2015, 06:00:42 PM »

If people want to do evil deeds in omnipotent God's name and he sits back and lets them  get on with it, he is allowing them to do evil deeds.  That is what "allowing them" means.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #329 on: May 17, 2015, 06:04:49 PM »

If people want to do evil deeds in omnipotent God's name and he sits back and lets them  get on with it, he is allowing them to do evil deeds.  That is what "allowing them" means.

There is a difference between "allowing" them to do evil, and preventing them from following their own, malign, intentions.  We are what we are, all of us, and we are each responsible for our actions, not God.
BA.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #330 on: May 17, 2015, 06:42:35 PM »

There is a difference between "allowing" them to do evil, and preventing them from following their own, malign, intentions. 

Agreed, the second is almost the opposite of the first.  If you had instead said "There is a difference between "allowing" them to do evil, and not preventing them from following their own, malign, intentions", I would disagree because not preventing somebody from doing something when you could have is the same as allowing them to do it. 

It's basic English.

We are what we are, all of us, and we are each responsible for our actions, not God.

Just because we are responsible for our actions doesn't mean that by not stopping us from doing them, God isn't allowing us to do them.

If I see somebody planting a bomb on a plane and I don't inform the authorities, am I allowing them to do evil or am I not preventing them from following their own malign intentions.  I would suggest there is no difference between those two and the fact that you claim there is exemplifies the mealy mouthed excuses that you Christians try to put up to defend the actions (and inaction) of your alleged god.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #331 on: May 17, 2015, 06:51:13 PM »
"Agreed, the second is almost the opposite of the first.  If you had instead said "There is a difference between "allowing" them to do evil, and not preventing them from following their own, malign, intentions", I would disagree because not preventing somebody from doing something when you could have is the same as allowing them to do it. If I see somebody planting a bomb on a plane and I don't inform the authorities, am I allowing them to do evil or am I not preventing them from following their own malign intentions.  I would suggest there is no difference between those two and the fact that you claim there is exemplifies the mealy mouthed excuses that you Christians try to put up to defend the actions (and inaction) of your alleged god."

God does not interfere with our actions, because, good or evil, we make our own decisions.  That applies to whether you decide to prevent someone from doing a certain action, or not, and why.  If God stands over us and controls everything we do, then life is hardly worth living, making us little more than robots.  What we do with our freedom to act is up to each individual, and how he sees life and morality, right and wrong.

BA.

Leonard James

« Reply #332 on: May 17, 2015, 07:49:10 PM »
  If God stands over us and controls everything we do, then life is hardly worth living, making us little more than robots. 

It is not necessary for "God" to control everything that is done, he just has to prevent people from doing bad things.

Contrary to what you say, life would be far more worth living if that were the case, and we would certainly not be 'little more than robots'. We would still be able to make our choices, but not bad ones. That would seem all to the good, and more like a loving father.

torridon

« Reply #333 on: May 17, 2015, 09:36:38 PM »

Not sure that works.

Are you saying that, if you were to fly a jetliner into the French Alps because you hated humans he would allow that, but if you flew a jetliner into a New York skyscraper yelling 'God is Great' he would intervene to stop you ?

floo

« Reply #334 on: May 18, 2015, 08:27:28 AM »
Some just love making excuses for the screw ups of the Biblical deity! ::)

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #335 on: May 18, 2015, 08:59:20 AM »

Not sure that works.

Are you saying that, if you were to fly a jetliner into the French Alps because you hated humans he would allow that, but if you flew a jetliner into a New York skyscraper yelling 'God is Great' he would intervene to stop you ?
People who do not know the true God may well mistakenly claim to do do things in His name.  Indeed they may well be under the influence of the Devil.

What I am saying, from my own knowledge and experience of God, is that God would not allow me, as a true believer, to mistakenly do something in His name.

If I were to deliberately swap sides, then I could pretend to do something in His name, but I would be conscious that I was not really doing what God wants.

I hope this clarifies things.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 09:04:18 AM by Alan Burns »
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Alan Burns

« Reply #336 on: May 18, 2015, 09:14:52 AM »

It is not necessary for "God" to control everything that is done, he just has to prevent people from doing bad things.

Contrary to what you say, life would be far more worth living if that were the case, and we would certainly not be 'little more than robots'. We would still be able to make our choices, but not bad ones. That would seem all to the good, and more like a loving father.

Len, if it was this easy, God would not have had to suffer and die in order to deliver us from evil.

I do not know all the answers, but I do know that God loves us and wants us all to join Him in heaven.  This earth is a battleground between good and evil - we are not in Heaven yet, but God has opened up the gate for us.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

BeRational

« Reply #337 on: May 18, 2015, 09:17:29 AM »

Len, if it was this easy, God would not have had to suffer and die in order to deliver us from evil.

I do not know all the answers, but I do know that God loves us and wants us all to join Him in heaven.  This earth is a battleground between good and evil - we are not in Heaven yet, but God has opened up the gate for us.

You repeat these things as if they are fact, they are not, they are just delusional beliefs unsupported by any credible evidence.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Leonard James

« Reply #338 on: May 18, 2015, 10:18:41 AM »

Are you trying to tell me that this all-powerful "God" you believe in was able to create the whole universe and the life in it, but he wasn't able to create humans without the power to do wrong, and that the only way he could do it was to go through all the paraphernalia of crucifying himself and then resurrecting? That doesn't sound very 'all-powerful' to me, Alan.

I know that is what you believe, but it is nothing more than an elaborate fable constructed for the consumption of the gullible.

Alan Burns

« Reply #339 on: May 18, 2015, 10:47:03 AM »

Are you trying to tell me that this all-powerful "God" you believe in was able to create the whole universe and the life in it, but he wasn't able to create humans without the power to do wrong, and that the only way he could do it was to go through all the paraphernalia of crucifying himself and then resurrecting? That doesn't sound very 'all-powerful' to me, Alan.

I have never used the words "all powerful" to describe God, because that would assume that Satan has no power.  Do not underestimate the power of the Devil.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #340 on: May 18, 2015, 10:49:23 AM »

I have never used the words "all powerful" to describe God, because that would assume that Satan has no power.  Do not underestimate the power of the Devil.

Is your god omniscient?

Leonard James

« Reply #341 on: May 18, 2015, 10:55:13 AM »

Never fear, Alan, both "God" and "the Devil" are powerless against my ability to reason.  :)

floo

« Reply #342 on: May 18, 2015, 11:46:51 AM »

Not sure that works.

People who do not know the true God may well mistakenly claim to do do things in His name.  Indeed they may well be under the influence of the Devil.

What I am saying, from my own knowledge and experience of God, is that God would not allow me, as a true believer, to mistakenly do something in His name.

If I were to deliberately swap sides, then I could pretend to do something in His name, but I would be conscious that I was not really doing what God wants.

I hope this clarifies things.

And you know the 'true' god do you? I think that is what you wish to believe, but have no verifiable evidence to support that statement!

Alan Burns

« Reply #343 on: May 18, 2015, 12:11:31 PM »

Is your god omniscient?
I do not know, because I myself do not know everything there is to know.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #344 on: May 18, 2015, 12:13:17 PM »

Never fear, Alan, both "God" and "the Devil" are powerless against my ability to reason.  :)

;D ;D  Seriously, though...
BA.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #345 on: May 18, 2015, 12:15:45 PM »

Is your god omniscient?
By Jove, I think he's got it

floo

« Reply #346 on: May 18, 2015, 12:34:28 PM »

Is your god omniscient?

I am glad you admit that, because none of us can possibly know all there is to know, more particularly if a deity actually exists.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #347 on: May 18, 2015, 12:36:46 PM »
If God stands over us and controls everything we do, then life is hardly worth living, making us little more than robots.
There's that bullshit false dichotomy again.  Between allowing everybody to do anything they like (which is what your god seems to do) and controlling us like robots there's a significant continuum.  He could just prevent all rapes, for instance.  That would be a start.

What we do with our freedom to act is up to each individual, and how he sees life and morality, right and wrong.

Indeed it is, but if your God exists, he is allowing us the freedom to act including allowing us to do bad things if we wish. 

Leonard James

« Reply #348 on: May 18, 2015, 12:48:55 PM »

;D ;D  Seriously, though...

I am serious in saying that I believe my ability to reason is impervious to attacks by gods and demons ... just as seriously as you believe your "God" exists. 

Alan Burns

« Reply #349 on: May 18, 2015, 01:07:08 PM »

Is your god omniscient?
I am glad you admit that, because none of us can possibly know all there is to know, more particularly if a deity actually exists.
I admit I do not know everything there is to know, but I am certain that God has made Himself known to me through Jesus Christ.  Nothing will ever take this away.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 01:09:50 PM by Alan Burns »