Author Topic: What Is God Made From?  (Read 155287 times)

King Oberon

• Spread your wings and let the fairy in you fly!
Re: What Is God Made From?
« Reply #425 on: May 20, 2015, 09:49:02 AM »
What Is God Made From?

Imagination of course  :)
I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #426 on: May 20, 2015, 10:03:17 AM »
What Is God Made From?

What is imagination made from?

Your soul of course. 

Who made your soul?

God of course.   :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:06:02 AM by Alan Burns »
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #427 on: May 20, 2015, 11:18:00 AM »
What Is God Made From?

Your soul of course. 

What is your soul made from?
Your imagination of course!
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

floo

« Reply #428 on: May 20, 2015, 11:22:25 AM »
What Is God Made From?

Your soul of course. 

Who made your soul?

God of course.   :)

No of course about it, a 'soul' is only a fancy name for consciousness, imo!

Alan Burns

« Reply #429 on: May 20, 2015, 04:58:54 PM »

Yes, I agree, your soul and consciousness are the same thing.  :)
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Jack Knave

« Reply #430 on: May 20, 2015, 05:17:17 PM »

But your if we wish to do so consciousness has to have a nature to do this else how can it motivate itself to take such actions? How does it decide? And a nature implies biases and likes.
You will not find the origin of free will in any nature.  It has to come from outside the deterministic nature of thing in our universe, otherwise it is not free will.  The origin of human free will is in the self awareness of the human soul.  We have the amazing ability to do something just because we wish to do it.
That definitional assertion is not what freewill is. It is just your excogitations with your imagination; what you think you can fathom out about your capacities from your Bishop Berkley armchair!!!

floo

« Reply #431 on: May 20, 2015, 05:32:13 PM »

Jolly good, however it still doesn't follow that any deity was responsible for our creation.

Alan Burns

« Reply #432 on: May 20, 2015, 05:35:06 PM »

That definitional assertion is not what freewill is. It is just your excogitations with your imagination; what you think you can fathom out about your capacities from your Bishop Berkley armchair!!!
So what would you say is driving my excogitations?

floo

« Reply #433 on: May 20, 2015, 05:36:21 PM »

Your assumptions and imagination, as you certainly have no evidence that passes muster to back them up!

Jack Knave

« Reply #434 on: May 20, 2015, 06:13:57 PM »

I come from a similar psychological background and understanding as C G Jung. I take it that our consciousness has its roots in the Collective Unconscious. This has an empirical standing as investigated by Jung, mainly, and therefore our consciousness, the essence that makes up us, that has come from the Unconscious has its own predisposition and nature in perceiving or reacting to life's experiences mainly in emotional value-judgements, but also in an intellectual manner too. Therefore, because it has a nature it also has biases and conditional ways it responds to various inputs.

I fear that this will probably be off your radar...?

torridon

« Reply #435 on: May 20, 2015, 07:46:44 PM »

Sloppy work Alan.

A soul is a hypothetical entity envisaged by many religious traditions to inhabit our bodies but which survives death of the body.

Consciousness refers to a mind state of waking alertness in higher animals.

A soul would not need sleep.

Consciousness is an ephemeral phenomenon that does not even survive sleep, never mind death.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 07:48:37 PM by torridon »

torridon

« Reply #436 on: May 21, 2015, 06:59:43 AM »
Nobody can want something that they don't want.

True, Torri, but we can't control what we want, but we CAN control whether we act on that want. That is when we exercise our free will.

If you don't act on a desire, that merely indicates that your desire to not act on it (for whatever reason) was greater than your desire to act on it.  You are still acting out your desires at the end of the day and we have no control over our desires, just as we have no control over our fears or our beliefs.

What you call free will merely reflects the greater complexity of considerations that might go on in a human's mind as opposed to in a hedgehog's mind (say).  That might be a good enough definition of free will for a chat with a bloke in the pub.  But the way decisions are made in a human brain are not categorically different from that in other mammals, or at least not so categorically different as to licence us to think that evolution has produced an organic decision making machine that is fundamentally free of the laws of nature that produced it.

Leonard James

« Reply #437 on: May 21, 2015, 07:04:57 AM »
Nobody can want something that they don't want.

True, Torri, but we can't control what we want, but we CAN control whether we act on that want. That is when we exercise our free will.

If you don't act on a desire, that merely indicates that your desire to not act on it (for whatever reason) was greater than your desire to act on it.  You are still acting out your desires at the end of the day and we have no control over our desires, just as we have no control over our fears or our beliefs.

What you call free will merely reflects the greater complexity of considerations that might go on in a human's mind as opposed to in a hedgehog's mind (say).  That might be a good enough definition of free will for a chat with a bloke in the pub.  But the way decisions are made in a human brain are not categorically different from that in other mammals, or at least not so categorically different as to licence us to think that evolution has produced an organic decision making machine that is fundamentally free of the laws of nature that produced it.

Hi Torri,

I will continue with my free will, and you will carry on without yours.

As long as we are both happy in our beliefs, it's all one!

torridon

« Reply #438 on: May 21, 2015, 07:08:31 AM »
Spoken like a typical theist, denying science to preserve your beliefs  ;D ;D

ippy

« Reply #439 on: May 21, 2015, 07:58:36 AM »
Just something that came from the thoughts from another thread, what do Christians think God is made from; what constitutes the form of God?
"What constitutes the form of God?" is better put than "What is God made from?" as the latter implies he was made. So, "What constitutes the form of God?"

If you respond with spirit then how did God manipulate the matter that forms the universe and our world? - as it clearly says in Genesis that he moulded the clay to create Adam.
God is spirit, though how you define that exactly, I don't know.

Whether it is correct or not, I have always found it useful, at least conceptually, to think of God as being in another (extra) dimension. For simplicity's sake let's call that the 4th dimension.

TW will like this. If we imagine a 2 dimensional world, i.e. stuff moving within what mathematicians call a "plane", then a 3 dimensional object can interact with those 2 dimensional object. For example, if we imagine a couple of 2 dimensional people moving around in this plane, we can stop them from seeing each other or touching each other by just drawing a line between them, e.g. completely around person #1. However, a 3 dimensional person is totally at liberty to step over that line and is thus not constrained in the same way as the 2 dimensional people.

The 3 dimensional person could actually draw that line, i.e. interact with those 2 dimensional people. If that is similar to how it is with God and us, then God would have no problem manipulating/interacting with/ doing stuff in our world.

You didn'finish off your post properly you mised "if he existed", only by missing this off it makes a nonsense of your post Alan.

ippy

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
« Reply #440 on: May 21, 2015, 09:19:12 AM »
Just something that came from the thoughts from another thread, what do Christians think God is made from; what constitutes the form of God?
"What constitutes the form of God?" is better put than "What is God made from?" as the latter implies he was made. So, "What constitutes the form of God?"

If you respond with spirit then how did God manipulate the matter that forms the universe and our world? - as it clearly says in Genesis that he moulded the clay to create Adam.
God is spirit, though how you define that exactly, I don't know.

Whether it is correct or not, I have always found it useful, at least conceptually, to think of God as being in another (extra) dimension. For simplicity's sake let's call that the 4th dimension.

TW will like this. If we imagine a 2 dimensional world, i.e. stuff moving within what mathematicians call a "plane", then a 3 dimensional object can interact with those 2 dimensional object. For example, if we imagine a couple of 2 dimensional people moving around in this plane, we can stop them from seeing each other or touching each other by just drawing a line between them, e.g. completely around person #1. However, a 3 dimensional person is totally at liberty to step over that line and is thus not constrained in the same way as the 2 dimensional people.

The 3 dimensional person could actually draw that line, i.e. interact with those 2 dimensional people. If that is similar to how it is with God and us, then God would have no problem manipulating/interacting with/ doing stuff in our world.

You didn'finish off your post properly you mised "if he existed", only by missing this off it makes a nonsense of your post Alan.

ippy
If he exists. I'm also happy to add on "if he exists and is the Christian God."

Nope, checked it. It doesn't make nonsense of my post.

I left it off as people here would normally be able to work out that I was talking about the Christian understanding of God. I'm happy to make it a bit more explicit next time for those who haven't twigged that I, a Christian, am talking about the Christian understanding of God if it is confusing.

Is there anyone else here other than Ippy who needs this added to all my posts in order to understand what I am posting about?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:20:44 AM by Alien »
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Jack Knave

« Reply #441 on: May 28, 2015, 07:00:06 PM »
444 posts. Not bad for my thread record and that I did it as a bit of a off the cuff, tongue in cheek laugh; hence the provincial title.

But no reply to my 155 and 158 from Alien...

Alien

« Reply #442 on: May 29, 2015, 08:57:39 AM »
1) I find it very odd that a faith, which implies to me to be something personal like falling in love and all that, is set out and founded in such an intellectual manner.
Why do you think it is "like falling in love and all that"? I find it very odd that someone seems to think a belief in God should not be "set out and founded in such an intellectual manner." There are frequent claims on these boards that Christian faith is "believing despite the evidence and the like". As far as I can remember, my fellow chemists at university who became Christians became Christians in a similar manner and there are plenty of other Christians who became Christians that way, e.g. my vicar (a former computer programmer). Some of the big brains of Christianity did so too, e.g. CS Lewis.

Do you care to relay some of the personal experiences you hint at at the end of this section?
Stuff like an overwhelming sense of God's love sometimes. An overwhelming sense of gratitude last week when looking at the pictures of our congregation at church during our prayer week. A one-off, rather weird experience about 20 years ago when being prayed for. Knowing that I am God's son (big "G", little "s"). Stuff like that.

As I have said elsewhere, I tend not to bring this up too much as though knowing of a person's personal experience may be interesting and may be thought-provoking, I don't think it is evidence for someone else to hook onto and, as a result, become a Christian. For that they need to be clobbered by God directly as one of my friends was or to look at the good evidence there is and which we discuss endlessly here.

2) For me that's a big if. As someone who is in the Jungian camp I can explain that in psychological terms. This is based on the basis that it never took place but is something that grows up due to the interaction of consciousness with the Unconscious, and is a function of the elements of the Unconscious called archetypes.
As I mentioned in my PM a while back, I'm confused by your numbering here. My two number twos were:

2)   Such believing in God requires more than an intellectual assent, something more than just accepting evidence. Whether we put our trust in him is very much bound up with our response to him telling us we are sinners. Do we respond to that by accepting it or rejecting it?

and

2)   Kalam cosmological argument.

Which one are you discussing? The former?

3) That doesn't help. Any religion could say that about their God and outlook.
Assuming you are speaking of "Argument from design", so what? Arguments 1-4 do not specifically argue for the Christian God, but rather a generic deistic/theistic God, both of which would get you out of your atheism.

4) Actually it is what you claim atheists say or put forward - "This is logically equivalent to an argument often put forward by atheists that if (since) God does not exist, the universe has no explanation."

Who says this? It's rubbish as it makes no sense.
Eh? No. 4 is about the "Argument from objective morals". You seem to be speaking about no. 1, "the "Argument from contingency (Leibnitz's argument).

5) OK
I think we are all muddled up with our numbering. You seem to be accepting "The death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.". That would be great, but somehow I don't think we are talking about the same point.

I'm going to stop here as I can't work out what points you are responding to. Here are my numbered items from 155/137.

It is often assumed, by Christians as well as non-Christians, that there are no concrete reasons for believing that God exists. Christianity has suffered from a reliance on feelings or “just having faith” for about a century. However, there are good reasons to believe in God’s existence.
Notes:
1)   Believing in God is more than just believing he exists; it is trusting him, though to do that you need to believe he exists. Do you believe in Ed Milliband? Nick Clegg? David Cameron?
2)   Such believing in God requires more than an intellectual assent, something more than just accepting evidence. Whether we put our trust in him is very much bound up with our response to him telling us we are sinners. Do we respond to that by accepting it or rejecting it?
3)   None of the items below are an argument against biological evolution.

Six Reasons to Believe in God (for a Christian) and Five Reasons to Believe in God (for an atheist):
1)   Argument from contingency (Leibnitz’s argument).
3)   Argument from design.
4)   Argument from objective morals.
5)   The death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
6)   The internal witness of the Holy Spirit (Christians only).
These arguments are based on those put forward by Dr. William Lane Craig who has a really good website at www.reasonablefaith.org.

Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Alien

« Reply #443 on: May 29, 2015, 09:03:09 AM »
Alan, I'm having trouble with this site so I've posted that to see if it will catch, which it did. I don't want to write a whole lot and then for it to fail.
The guy in the sun classes is number 8 but it seems if you put a ")" after it you get him.

So to carry on, and it seems there is not much left.

9) As a Jungian I understand that what gives us meaning are our emotional triggers that come from the Unconscious's archetypes and the like (see my signature below about the 'dryness' of science). And what bonds us in a group or tribe etc. are those archetypes, and so on, that we have in common. These archetypes work through culture and religion, and creates the loyalty and customs that a society has, or should have. This is what I'm looking for from you (some basis for your belief in your God - a relationship)but all you seems to have is this intellectual dryness that a robot could postulate.
I know naff all about Jung, but I try to go on the evidence. The arguments I gave for believing in the existence of God, apart from no. 6, are all arguments which can be looked at whatever tribe or society a person belongs to. I try to keep off the feelings and emotional stuff.

10) I did add/edit a comment about the numbers thing (fine turning of the universe), in my post above, after I posted it but you got there before I did this. Post 137.
In 137 you wrote, "I known about the fine tuning of the universe, you last bit about numbers. Two points on this. 1) We are here and know no other state so though it looks amazing and all that if it was possible then it could happen. It's like those "what if?" scenarios which are fairly meaningless in these circumstances. 2) It could be that these things are self righting and balances out so if one value changes then all the others change to create a stable state, but not one like our universe if the values are different. The fact is we just don't know(n)."

It could be? Is there any evidence for that?

Andy

« Reply #444 on: May 29, 2015, 11:10:16 AM »
Six Reasons to Believe in God (for a Christian) and Five Reasons to Believe in God (for an atheist):
These arguments are based on those put forward by Dr. William Lane Craig who has a really good website at www.reasonablefaith.org.[/i]

Disclaimer: Arguments 1 to 5 may only be convincing if you first pander to argument 6.

Jack Knave

« Reply #445 on: May 29, 2015, 07:26:17 PM »
Alien

"I think we are all muddled up with our numbering. You seem to be accepting "The death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.". "

Alan, I explained this in the PM. My numbering refers to your reply's sections. If you go my 155 and count the number of sections in your post which is replying to my previous post, you will see you have done 10 sections (parts of my previous post you have cut up and answered). My numbers refer to these 10 sections of yours and is finished off in my 158.

I hope that's clear.

Jack Knave

« Reply #446 on: May 29, 2015, 07:58:36 PM »
Alien - your 445.

Why do you think it is "like falling in love and all that"? I find it very odd that someone seems to think a belief in God should not be "set out and founded in such an intellectual manner." There are frequent claims on these boards that Christian faith is "believing despite the evidence and the like". As far as I can remember, my fellow chemists at university who became Christians became Christians in a similar manner and there are plenty of other Christians who became Christians that way, e.g. my vicar (a former computer programmer). Some of the big brains of Christianity did so too, e.g. CS Lewis.

I've put your stuff in colour.

I think that it is like falling in love because isn't it suppose to be a relationship, not some cold contractual agreement or some academic positional understanding based on some data. The data or evidence should be a personal one from experience just as relationships are in real life. The fact that others have taken to the Christian faith as you mention based on the cold evidence of texts etc. is a sad indictment of the paucity of our era. Isn't this faith of yours suppose to be about life not some action of signing on the dotted line?

Stuff like an overwhelming sense of God's love sometimes. An overwhelming sense of gratitude last week when looking at the pictures of our congregation at church during our prayer week. A one-off, rather weird experience about 20 years ago when being prayed for. Knowing that I am God's son (big "G", little "s"). Stuff like that.

As I have said elsewhere, I tend not to bring this up too much as though knowing of a person's personal experience may be interesting and may be thought-provoking, I don't think it is evidence for someone else to hook onto and, as a result, become a Christian. For that they need to be clobbered by God directly as one of my friends was or to look at the good evidence there is and which we discuss endlessly here.

What you outline there people get anyway, in all walks of life. There's nothing unusual or unique to your faith in what you say. In fact the emotional content of these that you mention I have had, but without the God stuff. People tend to have these things when they are younger. I'm more interested in what makes people tick, not some academic position per se.

I just found it odd, at the time, that when asked about how your faith came about you set out this academic list and not the personal relationship that Christians are suppose to have which, I assumed, starts things off, but as you have explained yours was on the evidence.

I don't mind going through the philosophy material you have presented, which I sense is teaching material for your churches use(?).

As I mentioned in my PM a while back, I'm confused by your numbering here.

"Apart from #5 which is about Jesus Christ? If he was raised from the dead then it points clearly to his claims about himself being true."

My 2 refers to this above which is your 2nd section reply in my 155. I think we may need to start again from my 155. What do you think?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 08:09:05 PM by Jack Knave »

Jack Knave

« Reply #447 on: May 29, 2015, 08:23:53 PM »
Alan, I'm having trouble with this site so I've posted that to see if it will catch, which it did. I don't want to write a whole lot and then for it to fail.
The guy in the sun classes is number 8 but it seems if you put a ")" after it you get him.

9) As a Jungian I understand that what gives us meaning are our emotional triggers that come from the Unconscious's archetypes and the like (see my signature below about the 'dryness' of science). And what bonds us in a group or tribe etc. are those archetypes, and so on, that we have in common. These archetypes work through culture and religion, and creates the loyalty and customs that a society has, or should have. This is what I'm looking for from you (some basis for your belief in your God - a relationship)but all you seems to have is this intellectual dryness that a robot could postulate.
I know naff all about Jung, but I try to go on the evidence. The arguments I gave for believing in the existence of God, apart from no. 6, are all arguments which can be looked at whatever tribe or society a person belongs to. I try to keep off the feelings and emotional stuff.

10) I did add/edit a comment about the numbers thing (fine turning of the universe), in my post above, after I posted it but you got there before I did this. Post 137.
In 137 you wrote, "I known about the fine tuning of the universe, you last bit about numbers. Two points on this. 1) We are here and know no other state so though it looks amazing and all that if it was possible then it could happen. It's like those "what if?" scenarios which are fairly meaningless in these circumstances. 2) It could be that these things are self righting and balances out so if one value changes then all the others change to create a stable state, but not one like our universe if the values are different. The fact is we just don't know(n)."

Do you keep off the emotional stuff for personal reasons? or is it that you feel it's too difficult to manage as a witnessing tool?

The reason why I have gone on about the emotional side of things is because it is related to communities and group cultures and a sense of belonging - the tribe thing. The way I see it all this feeling of being moved by the spirit and feeling loved really stems from the need to be in a tribe
and culture where one feels at home.

I assume your next bit is to my number 2 of a self righting mechanism. I vaguely remember some scientist postulating this as a possibility but I can't say for sure.

Alien

« Reply #448 on: May 29, 2015, 09:46:43 PM »

Do you keep off the emotional stuff for personal reasons? or is it that you feel it's too difficult to manage as a witnessing tool?
I thought I had explained it clearly enough. I'll try to clarify.

I don't see any need to get onto "emotional stuff". How does "emotional stuff" demonstrate anything? Maybe it is just my make up (IN, very T, extremely J on the old Myers-Briggs thingy), but if I am trying to demonstrate something to be true, how would bringing emotional stuff into it help? Perhaps you mean stuff like:

Jesus is the most important person in my life. I get choked up hearing or singing songs like "Before the throne of God above" and "This is the air I breathe" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gs_qlCWrPk). I find it desperately sad when Christians, here and elsewhere, bicker in front of people who desperately need to hear the good news of Jesus Christ. Perhaps you mean stuff like me crying in joy as well as sadness when I saw my mum's dead body in the local hospital a few years ago when she died suddenly and went to be with her Lord. Similar for my mate Jon when he died of lung cancer. Perhaps you mean the joy of seeing my father-in-law come to an uncomplicated faith in Jesus (nearly as late as the penitent thief on the cross!).

Is that the sort of thing you mean?

The reason why I have gone on about the emotional side of things is because it is related to communities and group cultures and a sense of belonging - the tribe thing. The way I see it all this feeling of being moved by the spirit and feeling loved really stems from the need to be in a tribe and culture where one feels at home.
OK, but I honestly don't think it is the case for me. Ask my wife if I am an emotional person. Even the stuff I wrote about above is the result of me thinking things through head-wise and letting it sink in deep into my being as a Christian.
I assume your next bit is to my number 2 of a self righting mechanism. I vaguely remember some scientist postulating this as a possibility but I can't say for sure.
If you would like to repost your bits with my bits which you are responding to, please feel free. I am happy to discuss with you, but don't have time to do detective work to try and work out which bit in your post matches which bit in mine in other posts in the past.

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #449 on: May 30, 2015, 06:48:42 AM »

No better than assertion.

Logically incoherent.

Argument from ignorance.

Challenged and undefended for nearly a year.

Only convincing evidence if you use a helping of confirmation bias.

Your () comment should read 'individual Christian only'.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire