Author Topic: What Is God Made From?  (Read 155209 times)

splashscuba

• might be an atheist, I just don't believe in gods
Re: What Is God Made From?
« Reply #475 on: June 09, 2015, 12:43:56 PM »
I have an infinite number of belief systems cos there are an infinite number of things I don't believe in.

I respect your right to believe whatever you want. I don't have to respect your beliefs.

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
« Reply #476 on: June 10, 2015, 11:02:22 AM »
Here I'm not arguing from experience, but that Jesus was buried in a known tomb, two days later the tomb was found to be empty and that over the course of the next 40 days individuals and groups were convinced they saw him, spoke with him and sometimes ate with him. My contention is that Jesus was raised from the dead by God is a better explanation than all the other attempted explanations put together.

So presumably, if you read in another book that a guy was killed and that over the next 40 days un-named individuals and groups saw him, ate with him and spoke to him ....you'd have no option but to believe he had been resurrected?

No little nagging doubts that it could all be fiction?
Which book?
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

jjohnjil

« Reply #477 on: June 10, 2015, 11:40:55 AM »
Here I'm not arguing from experience, but that Jesus was buried in a known tomb, two days later the tomb was found to be empty and that over the course of the next 40 days individuals and groups were convinced they saw him, spoke with him and sometimes ate with him. My contention is that Jesus was raised from the dead by God is a better explanation than all the other attempted explanations put together.

So presumably, if you read in another book that a guy was killed and that over the next 40 days un-named individuals and groups saw him, ate with him and spoke to him ....you'd have no option but to believe he had been resurrected?

Which book?

You must remember books, Alan, they're papery things with words printed on them. Any one with that story in them.

Which book?

Ever visited Planet Earth, Al?

Alien

« Reply #478 on: June 10, 2015, 12:28:56 PM »

Which book?

You must remember books, Alan, they're papery things with words printed on them. Any one with that story in them.

Which book?

Ever visited Planet Earth, Al?
So which book?
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Jack Knave

« Reply #479 on: June 11, 2015, 05:45:21 PM »
Alien (your 476)

I appreciate that, but I was asked why I am a Christian. You are not convinced by the evidence, but I am.

and

I was asked why I am a Christian and this is part of it.

1} OK, point taken. I was approaching it as an argument but yes my original question was what made you convert; though weren't you a Christian in your childhood and something about a colliery disaster that made your parents question things?

Except that they do. For example if the Kalam Cosmological Argument is correct, it leads to the conclusion that there is an entity which created the universe which was spaceless (he/it created space), timeless (he/it created time), non-material (he/it created matter),  immensely powerful (he/it created the universe) and, plausibly, personal (deciding to create the universe). It does not take us to the specifically Christian understanding of God or even to a theistic God, but if you can think of a better term than "God", please do say what it is.

2} But I did think of something better than God in the sense that it is more appropriate, "Something". The word God has different connotations and implications for people, by that I mean, they unconsciously attach their preconceived ideas to it. As you admit the primal cause could be anything even a force or 'mechanism' of some law or pattern of energy.

No, it is not disingenuous and deceitful. I have never claimed that, say, the Kalam argument takes us to the Christian definition of God on its own, but gets us as far as above. The argument from objective morality, if correct, shows us that this "God" is a source of morality, so now we have a spaceless, timeless, non-material, immensely powerful, plausibly personal, moral entity for whom the term "God" seems, to me at least, reasonable. With the bit about the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, this would take us to the Christian God from that generic understanding of God.

3} 'Objective morality, if correct,...' - again big if. You can't use as an argument something which is far from shown to be even vaguely plausible. Anyway this moral element could be a separate issue, something independent of the creation act itself and not at all associated with its functional framework.

Yes, that is what atheists tend to say. Atheists, not scientists. That was the point I was making. You wrote, "And just to point the flaw in it the claim that science says there's no explanation for the universe isn't true". I didn't make any claim about scientists.  - "This is logically equivalent to an argument often put forward by atheists that if (since) God does not exist, the universe has no explanation."

Who says this? It's rubbish as it makes no sense.[/quote]It does make sense. In #92 I wrote
"b)   If the universe has an explanation of its existence, God exists and is that explanation.
i.   This is logically equivalent to an argument often put forward by atheists that if (since) God does not exist, the universe has no explanation. "

If we can agree it does make sense, then I'll supply some names.

4} If some atheists do say this then they are idiots. I would amend your b) by replacing God with "Something"; and replacing God in all your philosophical arguments with "Something". The word God only truly enters the arena when one starts dealing with religion which is its domain.

You sound like a YECer arguing against evolution

5} Good punch but I'm not down nor winded. Evolution is not a religion and is taken as a best fit for now and subject to change should further evidence show it to be not correct on some points. People do not fundamentally live, die and base their lives on it but only as a plausible explanation based on the evidence to date. For such fundamental issues as shaping ones life and principles I would need to see and have personal experience of the matters in question. As I was not there to see this Jesus fellow and all these claims about him I can only leave these details on the shelves with the rest of the history books, dipping into them for my amusement.

6} A better explanation would be is that we just don't know how and why these things got to be written down (or what was altered later on). We are fallible and are unable to think of every possibility that could explain an event which we never saw. Are you saying every myth and fable or whatever is true? 

Then you have misunderstood probability too. Perhaps a knowledgeable non-Christian on here would explain about probability. Me doing it would run the risk of look like it being "sophistry and playing with words." If anyone does explain it, then perhaps the following will help.

7} What I meant was that probability is a myth created from mankind's point of view. Either something occurs or it doesn't. It is only our perspective on things that creates in our minds this probability stuff.

For this to be a good argument (that God raised Jesus from the dead), the probability of it being true needs to be higher than the probability of it not being true, i.e. >50%. On occasions people here have said that there are infinite number of possible other explanations for what is recorded in the NT (the empty tomb, etc.). That may be the case, but it is irrelevant. If the probability of those individual other explanations total less than 50%, it means that the probability of God having raised Jesus from the dead is greater than 50%. The percentages I quoted as examples, i.e. 12.5%, 6.25%, 3.125% and so on were part of a sequence where, though infinitely long, only total 25%, thus showing that it is possible to have an infinite number of other possible explanations, yet still have a total of less than 50%.

8} But how does one evaluate a value for such things, who decides that this or that explanation warrants a given value of probability. It's sheer stupidity because no one can. Your example is restrictive and conditional on an idea of function and as such will naturally result in the result you say it will give. If I say to you you can go anywhere except Paul's cathedral and then declare you will never enter Paul's cathedral it is no big shakes is it...? The whole thing is fixed i.e. a sophistic game.

Would you mind restating your case on this as I am not completely sure what you are referring to.

9} Actually looking at them again there aren't any real issues worth bothering with there. They may come up later if need be but aren't worth it now.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:17:12 PM by Jack Knave »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #480 on: June 12, 2015, 12:13:11 AM »
So which book?

It doesn't matter.   The book is hypothetical. 

You knew that, of course, but everybody knows you can't answer the question without losing, so you are bringing up irrelevances as a diversion.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jjohnjil

« Reply #481 on: June 12, 2015, 08:09:37 AM »
So which book?

It doesn't matter.   The book is hypothetical. 

You knew that, of course, but everybody knows you can't answer the question without losing, so you are bringing up irrelevances as a diversion.

Sometimes, Jeremy, a non-answer speaks louder than a three page reply - especially one of Alan's.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #482 on: June 12, 2015, 08:14:46 AM »
I have as low opinion of Alan as anyone but he is making a valid point here. It depends on the book. He doesn't believe because a book says so, he believes the book he does because he finds it valid. He may be wrong to do so, but it is wrong to suggest it is simply because it is in 'a book' that he believes it

Shaker

« Reply #483 on: June 12, 2015, 08:59:30 AM »
I have as low opinion of Alan as anyone ...

One of those rare genuine LOL moments :D
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

jjohnjil

« Reply #484 on: June 12, 2015, 10:33:59 AM »
I have as low opinion of Alan as anyone but he is making a valid point here. It depends on the book. He doesn't believe because a book says so, he believes the book he does because he finds it valid. He may be wrong to do so, but it is wrong to suggest it is simply because it is in 'a book' that he believes it

Personally, I have a very high opinion of Alan's debating skills. If I were caught red-handed beside a body with a bloody knife in my hand, there is no one in the world I would rather have than Alan defending me!

'Blackadder goes forth' always comes to mind when I read his posts..

Shaker

« Reply #485 on: June 12, 2015, 10:34:55 AM »
Personally, I have a very high opinion of Alan's debating skills. If I were caught red-handed beside a body with a bloody knife in my hand, there is no one in the world I would rather have than Alan defending me!

Hm ... me too.

https://goo.gl/BzKfy8
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Leonard James

« Reply #486 on: June 12, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »

Presumably he believes in the Bible contents because some of the writers of it say it is the word of (or inspired by) "God".

Or have I misunderstood him?

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #487 on: June 12, 2015, 07:58:00 PM »
I have as low opinion of Alan as anyone ...

One of those rare genuine LOL moments :D

Confirms what I thought:  you have no sense of humour.
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

ippy

« Reply #488 on: June 12, 2015, 08:34:01 PM »

Hm ... me too.

https://goo.gl/BzKfy8

Mind you Shaker the amount of time you might spend in the dock while he defends you could well be as much as a sentence.

ippy

Jack Knave

« Reply #489 on: June 13, 2015, 05:06:02 PM »

Presumably he believes in the Bible contents because some of the writers of it say it is the word of (or inspired by) "God".

I think he believes it because he can see no other reason why it was written down, about Christ and all that, than that that was what happened. He would claim, why would they say such things and risk their lives for them etc if they weren't true. And that in trying to explain things otherwise gets the thinker into implausible situations. From that everything else they say and claim has to be considered as being accurate in what he would see as a provable plausible position.

Leonard James

« Reply #490 on: June 13, 2015, 07:12:43 PM »

I think he believes it because he can see no other reason why it was written down, about Christ and all that, than that that was what happened. He would claim, why would they say such things and risk their lives for them etc if they weren't true. And that in trying to explain things otherwise gets the thinker into implausible situations. From that everything else they say and claim has to be considered as being accurate in what he would see as a provable plausible position.

Well, as long as he's happy!

Alien

« Reply #491 on: June 18, 2015, 05:42:37 PM »

Yes, you have misunderstood me. It is not necessary to believe that the bible is 'the word of (or inspired by) "God"' to believe that Jesus was raised by God from the dead. It is possible to believe that that happened thinking that the NT records are just accounts written by people giving an honest record of what they knew about (and that it is the best explanation of those accounts). There is no need for any belief in the bible being inspired by God to get that far.

Alien

« Reply #492 on: June 18, 2015, 05:46:05 PM »

I think he believes it because he can see no other reason why it was written down, about Christ and all that, than that that was what happened. He would claim, why would they say such things and risk their lives for them etc if they weren't true.
No, I would not claim that. What I would ask is they they would say such things and risk their lives if they did not believe they were true. That they are true would, IMO, be the best explanation for why they believed those events happened, inc. Jesus being dead, being buried in a known location, the tomb being empty 2 days later and people, individuals and groups, meeting what they thought was the risen Christ on about a dozen occasions over the next 40 days, including sometimes eating with him).

Alien

« Reply #493 on: June 18, 2015, 05:46:52 PM »

Well, as long as he's happy!
Disappointed you did not notice JK's error there, Leonard. After all we've only been discussing this stuff, what, 10 years.

Shaker

« Reply #494 on: June 18, 2015, 05:49:31 PM »
What I would ask is they they would say such things and risk their lives if they did not believe they were true

*head-desk*

If I could remove at least one standard Christian trope from all and any future discussions, it may very well be this one. It comes up so often and the reason why it's nonsense is patiently pointed out so many times ... mods, can't we do a sticky for this kind of thing, for goodness' sake, and have done with it once and for all?

cyberman

« Reply #495 on: June 18, 2015, 06:46:04 PM »
what do Christians think God is made from?

Is this question directed at people who believe that god was made? Who would they be?

Shaker

« Reply #496 on: June 18, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
what do Christians think God is made from?

Is this question directed at people who believe that god was made? Who would they be?
A large slice of arguing-past-each-other with a hefty dressing of misunderstanding on top.

Theists, of which group we include many Christians, dodge a great many sceptical and rationalist questions by declaring ad hoc that their god wasn't made.

OK, understood. Twaddly-waddly-wibbly-bibbly bilge to me, but OK, that's what you try to claim in order to evade the hard questions.

But made and made of aren't the same. In normal standard English the phrase made of refers to the composition of a thing, what sort of substance that thing consists of. It has nothing to do as to whether that thing was fashioned or how it was fashioned or when it was fashioned or by whom or by what; it refers to that thing of which the X under discussion consists.

Leonard James

« Reply #497 on: June 18, 2015, 07:30:42 PM »
]Yes, you have misunderstood me. It is not necessary to believe that the bible is 'the word of (or inspired by) "God"' to believe that Jesus was raised by God from the dead. It is possible to believe that that happened thinking that the NT records are just accounts written by people giving an honest record of what they knew about (and that it is the best explanation of those accounts). There is no need for any belief in the bible being inspired by God to get that far.

Of course they believed it to be true! But that is no proof that it WAS true.

floo

« Reply #498 on: June 19, 2015, 09:21:14 AM »

Yes, you have misunderstood me. It is not necessary to believe that the bible is 'the word of (or inspired by) "God"' to believe that Jesus was raised by God from the dead. It is possible to believe that that happened thinking that the NT records are just accounts written by people giving an honest record of what they knew about (and that it is the best explanation of those accounts). There is no need for any belief in the bible being inspired by God to get that far.

You want to assume the authors of the NT were giving an honest account, but you don't know that for a fact. It is highly unlikely any of the 'supernatural' events attributed to Jesus were factual. I suspect much was exaggerated hearsay or untrue.

Alien

« Reply #499 on: June 19, 2015, 11:26:23 AM »
What I would ask is they they would say such things and risk their lives if they did not believe they were true

*head-desk*

If I could remove at least one standard Christian trope from all and any future discussions, it may very well be this one. It comes up so often and the reason why it's nonsense is patiently pointed out so many times ... mods, can't we do a sticky for this kind of thing, for goodness' sake, and have done with it once and for all?
Answer it one more time.... just for me.