Author Topic: What Is God Made From?  (Read 155109 times)

jjohnjil

Re: What Is God Made From?
« Reply #650 on: June 27, 2015, 09:19:45 PM »
Because what I say is true as I have explained logically and philosophically in the past. These people were like you in that they believed in something and from that emotional standpoint they moved forwards towards the conclusion of their faith based on the premise of that belief, which sets up assumptions which they would not, and could not, have questioned. You seem to think that their judgement on the matter was infallible and clear headed and that assumption has set you on the wrong course as this is as far from the truth as can be. They were far from infallible. The fact is we can't know what actually happened 2000 years ago and it is ludicrous to base one's whole life on what is mere guesswork and speculation. The fact that there were many of them is neither here nor there as some/most people, because of emotional needs, will follow and accept what the crowd says (the social norm for that group) or what some charismatic figure expresses. We see this kind of thing with ISIS and with the Japanese civilians in WWII, because of their social beliefs and culture, who committed suicide rather than be take by the Americans as prisoners.
What a load of old tosh. Seriously, it is. Come on, what would have been their motives for making it all up? How would they have managed to handle it with so many people? How come some of them went to their deaths for standing for something they knew was a lie? It just doesn't add up.

Was the tomb empty or not? Did people claim to have seen Jesus on about a dozen occasions or not? Those are the questions which need answering and if you answer them honestly, as I hope you will, it will turn your life upside down.
Your whole premise is based on speculation
So you claim, but have not demonstrated.
and your ability to correctly guess how all this came about.
We just can't figure out with our limited minds all the possibilities involved here for why this came about.
The same goes for lots of things, e.g. in physics, yet we come to conclusions.
And these accounts were written 30 years after the claimed events. By that time all manner of myths could have been generated about the tomb and this and that...
How?

Your questions are superfluous because they can't be answered with 100% confirmation, as all historical accounts can't be, else all historians past, present and future would all agree on the way historical events have proceeded. But they don't and there is a reason for this.
100%? I agree. However, I take it you accept that things like the Armada and the Battle of Hastings and the Roman invasion of Britain happened. Why so unsure on this one (apart from, perhaps, it making great claims on you personally if it is true)?
[/quote]

North Korean leader, Kim Jong-il is the best golfer in the world, hands down. On his first ever trip to the golf course, he shot 38-under par, including 5 hole-in-ones! This is reported by the government controlled media. He routinely shoots 3 or 4 hole-in-ones every time out.

Not quite as old as your examples, Alan.  Do you not have even a niggling doubt about this report,

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #651 on: June 27, 2015, 09:20:04 PM »
8)
In representing claims as facts, as has been pointed out to you that this is what you are doing, (multiple times)
You have alleged multiple times that what I have claimed to be true is untrue. So what? You alleging stuff doesn't thereby make you correct and turn me into a liar. Do you really not understand that?
and he lies again. I have told you multiple times that arguing claims as true is a lie, if you continue to do it, and you continue to do it and then you lie about that.
Look up the definition of "lie" in a dictionary.

You know these are claims and you are presenting them as facts which is a deliberate untruth.
I believe the claims about Christianity are correct, that they are true, that the core things of Jesus' life, death and resurrection actually happened. I might be wrong, but that is what I believe. Therefore, I may be wrong, but I am not lying.

You are presenting them as facts, not claims that you believe. That is a deliberate untruth
I believe them to be true; you do not. That does not make me a liar.

And I am not saying that you believing them to be true is you lying. I am saying that in presenting them as facts when you know they are claims (even that you believe) is lying.

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
« Reply #652 on: June 27, 2015, 09:33:23 PM »

North Korean leader, Kim Jong-il is the best golfer in the world, hands down. On his first ever trip to the golf course, he shot 38-under par, including 5 hole-in-ones! This is reported by the government controlled media. He routinely shoots 3 or 4 hole-in-ones every time out.

Not quite as old as your examples, Alan.  Do you not have even a niggling doubt about this report,
Yes, thanks. So how many independent witnesses do we have and do we have any good reason to believe them?
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Alien

« Reply #653 on: June 27, 2015, 09:35:21 PM »

And I am not saying that you believing them to be true is you lying. I am saying that in presenting them as facts when you know they are claims (even that you believe) is lying.
Yes, I know they are claims. Claims can be correct.  I believe those claims to be correct. You make certain claims you believe to be correct and you made some during the discussion on the Scottish independence vote. Some I think were incorrect. That doesn't make you a liar.
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #654 on: June 27, 2015, 09:39:58 PM »

Yes, I know they are claims. Claims can be correct.  I believe those claims to be correct. You make certain claims you believe to be correct and you made some during the discussion on the Scottish independence vote. Some I think were incorrect. That doesn't make you a liar.

If you know these are merely claims then presenting them as facts which you do continually is a deliberate untruth.

Andy

« Reply #655 on: June 27, 2015, 09:53:24 PM »
There are plenty of religious con men out there today who convince people that they are seeing what they aren't, Benny Hinn is a case in point!
OK, you show me how to get crucified, get buried in a tomb and then two days later appear to people right as rain and have an empty tomb.

Why will no atheists show me how this was done?
Because it can't be done genuinely. Once you're dead you are dead.
So why did people think they saw and sometimes ate with Jesus on a dozen or so occasions in the 40 days after his death?

Where is his body now?

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #656 on: June 27, 2015, 10:03:26 PM »
There are plenty of religious con men out there today who convince people that they are seeing what they aren't, Benny Hinn is a case in point!
OK, you show me how to get crucified, get buried in a tomb and then two days later appear to people right as rain and have an empty tomb.

So why did people think they saw and sometimes ate with Jesus on a dozen or so occasions in the 40 days after his death?

Where is his body now?

Where is he now.Heaven.
~TW~
" Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs/George Burns

jjohnjil

« Reply #657 on: June 27, 2015, 10:09:09 PM »

Yes, thanks. So how many independent witnesses do we have and do we have any good reason to believe them?

Exactly, Alan, have you any for the Resurrection?  I'm sure if you go over to N Korea, they'll provide you with as many as you'll find in the Bible to back up that story.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #658 on: June 27, 2015, 10:11:13 PM »

It would if NS was clearly portraying claims as being  facts, which as I recall he wasn't.

That Jesus was resurrected is a claim: it is clearly not a fact since there is nothing other than claims involved in the NT narrative about it. Claims are easily fabricated, and especially post-hoc, compared to facts that (being factual) can subjected to investigation, which creates a problem for you guys since 'supernatural fact' is an oxymoron without a suitable investigatory method.

You are over-estimating the value of the NT claims, again, and that you choose to believe these claims (empty tombs etc)  doesn't convert them into facts, and to portray claims as being facts is a misrepresentation..
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:14:53 PM by Gordon »

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #659 on: June 27, 2015, 10:23:51 PM »

It would if NS was clearly portraying claims as being  facts, which as I recall he wasn't.

That Jesus was resurrected is a claim: it is clearly not a fact since there is nothing other than claims involved in the NT narrative about it. Claims are easily fabricated, and especially post-hoc, compared to facts that (being factual) can subjected to investigation, which creates a problem for you guys since 'supernatural fact' is an oxymoron without a suitable investigatory method.

You are over-estimating the value of the NT claims, again, and that you choose to believe these claims (empty tombs etc)  doesn't convert them into facts, and to portray claims as being facts is a misrepresentation..

So Gordon you give me the impression you are afraid that this Jesus was resurrected and the story is true.But you and your friends are clutching at straws and every excuse to downgrade the story and say it was a hoax.What evidence do you have to prove it was a hoax and why would this be.

~TW~
" Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs/George Burns

cyberman

« Reply #660 on: June 27, 2015, 10:41:23 PM »
It didn't happen as described in the Bible.

Is that a claim or a fact? NS will call you a liar if you keep on getting them mixed up, floo!

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #661 on: June 27, 2015, 10:47:24 PM »

So Gordon you give me the impression you are afraid that this Jesus was resurrected and the story is true.But you and your friends are clutching at straws and every excuse to downgrade the story and say it was a hoax.What evidence do you have to prove it was a hoax and why would this be.

~TW~

It is a myth, TW, and without substantive evidence (as opposed to claim) it is indistinguishable from fiction and, as such,
really isn't a serious proposition, so it remains a myth.

Your impression is wrong, TW, since I'm no more 'afraid' of taking the resurrection of Jesus aspect of the NT seriously than I am about taking seriously the possibility that the plot-line of 'Topsy and Tim go shopping with Mummy' is actually true in reality, and in every respect of elements of the story!

Both appear to be fiction, albeit that the latter is at least grounded in reality.   

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #662 on: June 27, 2015, 10:54:27 PM »
So how would Peter lying to everyone produce the other records of people meeting Jesus, e.g. the women at the tomb, the disciples on the road to Emmaus, Jesus appearing to James and so on?

What records?  Do you mean the stories in the Bible?  You do understand they are not historically  credible, don't you?
Why do you think they are not historically credible?

They are written by anonymous people for the most part, years after the events and they are pushing an agenda.  There's no corroboration for most of them from other sources and where two or more purportedly describe the same events, they often disagree.

Oh yes, and they talk about a dead man coming alive again, which is totally laughable.

That's correct. I don't think he was lying though. Lying is making an intentionally false statement.

As I mentioned earlier, I've started a separate thread on this.

He used the words of the Bible to demonstrate that there are problems either with Paul's account or the account in Acts.  As he said, fundamentalists can do all sorts of gymnastics to reconcile the accounts, but isn't it more likely that the guy who wrote Acts was simply wrong. 

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #663 on: June 27, 2015, 10:56:28 PM »

It's just stories Alan.  We might as well ask why people saw and sometimes ate with Harry Potter.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #664 on: June 27, 2015, 10:58:33 PM »

Is that a claim or a fact? NS will call you a liar if you keep on getting them mixed up, floo!
Nice to see you have such a low opinion of Alan's intelligence that you think he gets mixed up in that way.

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #665 on: June 27, 2015, 11:10:50 PM »

~TW~

It is a myth, TW, and without substantive evidence (as opposed to claim) it is indistinguishable from fiction and, as such,
really isn't a serious proposition, so it remains a myth.

Your impression is wrong, TW, since I'm no more 'afraid' of taking the resurrection of Jesus aspect of the NT seriously than I am about taking seriously the possibility that the plot-line of 'Topsy and Tim go shopping with Mummy' is actually true in reality, and in every respect of elements of the story!

Both appear to be fiction, albeit that the latter is at least grounded in reality.

You are not thinking straight Gordon.I must correct that you are not thinking full stop.I would say the 2nd beast has you well and truly in its grip you have it's mark 666 .
Goodnight.

~TW~

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #666 on: June 28, 2015, 07:24:39 AM »

You are not thinking straight Gordon.I must correct that you are not thinking full stop.I would say the 2nd beast has you well and truly in its grip you have it's mark 666 .
Goodnight.

~TW~

On another thread Spud mentioned hearing background humming - I reckon its that catchy tune from Carmina Burana, by Carl Orff.

floo

« Reply #667 on: June 28, 2015, 08:44:58 AM »
If the deity is male it is made from slugs and snails and puppy dogs tails! ;D ;D ;D

What are little boys made of?
Slugs and snails, and puppy dogs tails,
That's what little boys are made of.

What are little girls made of?
Sugar and spice and all things nice,
That's what little girls are made of.

Alien

« Reply #668 on: June 28, 2015, 09:31:38 AM »

Exactly, Alan, have you any for the Resurrection?  I'm sure if you go over to N Korea, they'll provide you with as many as you'll find in the Bible to back up that story.
Mary Magdalene, the 11, Cleopas and his travelling companion, James (the Lord's half brother).

Now tell me the names of those in North Korea.

jjohnjil

« Reply #669 on: June 28, 2015, 10:21:12 AM »

Mary Magdalene, the 11, Cleopas and his travelling companion, James (the Lord's half brother).

Now tell me the names of those in North Korea.

Names in a book, Alan, that's all.  I can give you ten Korean names but we won't know any more about them than James, Cleopas or Mary Magdalene - nor can we question any of them and see if we believe their version of events.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #670 on: June 28, 2015, 05:07:09 PM »

cyberman

« Reply #671 on: June 28, 2015, 08:24:26 PM »

Nice to see you have such a low opinion of Alan's intelligence that you think he gets mixed up in that way.

Who is Alan?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #672 on: June 28, 2015, 08:48:38 PM »

Who is Alan?
Alien previously known as Alan

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #673 on: June 28, 2015, 10:21:59 PM »
If the deity is male it is made from slugs and snails and puppy dogs tails! ;D ;D ;D

What are little boys made of?
Slugs and snails, and puppy dogs tails,
That's what little boys are made of.

What are little girls made of?
Sugar and spice and all things nice,
That's what little girls are made of.

Ah, Floo reaches her intellectual zenith!    :)
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Leonard James

« Reply #674 on: June 29, 2015, 09:07:16 AM »

Ah, Floo reaches her intellectual zenith!    :)

Which, fortunately for her, is considerably higher than yours.