Author Topic: What Is God Made From?  (Read 155095 times)

BashfulAnthony

Re: What Is God Made From?
« Reply #725 on: June 30, 2015, 08:44:59 PM »

Ah, Floo reaches her intellectual zenith!    :)

Which, fortunately for her, is considerably higher than yours.

Low-quality jibe there;  but then, there's no Shaker to prime you.

Are you claiming that your jibe was somehow high quality?

No, I'm not. You are just looking for an argument.

Is that the five minutes or the full half hour?

None:  I couldn't be bothered to read the expletives any argument with you is splattered with.
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

cyberman

« Reply #726 on: July 01, 2015, 12:19:47 PM »

Documents are not independent if they all rely on the same source.  At least three of the four gospels are interdependent

But those three gospels use at least four sources between them (M, Q, L and Mark). Possibly a couple of others as well.

what is your definition of independent, then? You can't just keep on saying "no, that doesn't count as independent" whenever a source is cited.

Jack Knave

« Reply #727 on: July 01, 2015, 05:49:51 PM »
Because what I say is true as I have explained logically and philosophically in the past. These people were like you in that they believed in something and from that emotional standpoint they moved forwards towards the conclusion of their faith based on the premise of that belief, which sets up assumptions which they would not, and could not, have questioned. You seem to think that their judgement on the matter was infallible and clear headed and that assumption has set you on the wrong course as this is as far from the truth as can be. They were far from infallible. The fact is we can't know what actually happened 2000 years ago and it is ludicrous to base one's whole life on what is mere guesswork and speculation. The fact that there were many of them is neither here nor there as some/most people, because of emotional needs, will follow and accept what the crowd says (the social norm for that group) or what some charismatic figure expresses. We see this kind of thing with ISIS and with the Japanese civilians in WWII, because of their social beliefs and culture, who committed suicide rather than be take by the Americans as prisoners.
What a load of old tosh. Seriously, it is. Come on, what would have been their motives for making it all up? How would they have managed to handle it with so many people? How come some of them went to their deaths for standing for something they knew was a lie? It just doesn't add up.

Was the tomb empty or not? Did people claim to have seen Jesus on about a dozen occasions or not? Those are the questions which need answering and if you answer them honestly, as I hope you will, it will turn your life upside down.
Your whole premise is based on speculation
So you claim, but have not demonstrated.
and your ability to correctly guess how all this came about.
We just can't figure out with our limited minds all the possibilities involved here for why this came about.
The same goes for lots of things, e.g. in physics, yet we come to conclusions.
And these accounts were written 30 years after the claimed events. By that time all manner of myths could have been generated about the tomb and this and that...
How?

Your questions are superfluous because they can't be answered with 100% confirmation, as all historical accounts can't be, else all historians past, present and future would all agree on the way historical events have proceeded. But they don't and there is a reason for this.
100%? I agree. However, I take it you accept that things like the Armada and the Battle of Hastings and the Roman invasion of Britain happened. Why so unsure on this one (apart from, perhaps, it making great claims on you personally if it is true)?

-------------------------------------------------------

1) Yes I have because you admit in 4) that what you have is not 100%. If it is not 100% then it is just speculation!!! If you don't have categorical proof then it is just mere speculation as I have been saying all along.
1}Then, to you all history, absolutely all of it, is "just speculation". There is not one thing in history which can be determined with absolutely 100% certainty.

2) Yes, but we don't base our entire fundamental life style on it. It is just useful stuff or something for our intellectual amusement. And the conclusions science comes to are based on facts, as seen by us, and where there is doubt, usually, this is acknowledged by proposals of what it could be. And when new evidence comes along that changes our views our views change. The whole process is in flux, not set in stone based on no viable and useful evidence as your faith is.
2}So you are not absolutely sure that gravity exists in that if you jumped off a cliff you are not absolutely sure you finish up in a heap at the bottom?

Oh and we all do lots of things without being able to be 100% certain of them, like getting in a car or a plane. Yet you are content to put your life totally in the driver's or pilot's hands.

3) Your lack of understanding of human nature and what was going on in mankind's outlook at the time beggars belief, Alan. Where do you think any myths came from? How did any religion and its weird ideas come from? Even today the crazy ideas of Scientology have taken off in our so called enlightened days. That's human nature, peoples' emotional needs running their lives.
3}So why do you think that is how Christianity started? It's easy to claim that, but where is your evidence. Convince me that it is not just you dodging the issue, doing a lot of God-dodging.

4) Trying to second guess my position won't work, Alan. As I have said before all history is subject to speculation and any sane person wouldn't base their fundamental life and outlook on it. I.e. it makes no odds to me whether those events actually took place or not it is just history; it's come and gone.
4}Really. I wonder whether any other atheists here would support that view.

Any other atheists got any comments on what has just been said there. Does it make no odds to you whether the Second World War happened or the invasion of Iraq or the Battle of Hastings or the fall of Communism?

1} That is correct, and the further you go back the murkier it gets. Also, as you know, the winners always right history so their version tends to dominate.

2} That is not the same thing and you know it. We are talking about the past not what one can see for themselves in the present, in their own lives.

Again things like cars and planes are in the present and we have data/info, based in our present time, on which we can make an assessment on the matter. One could of course rap oneself in bubble rap and stay at home but that wouldn't be seen by most as anything like a life.

3} I say that because it is true of all religions. I'm reading a book which quotes someone as saying that mankind started science when they discovered they were ignorant. Humans ask questions about life, about the meaning of life. When I say needs I mean psychological needs. The need to be part of a social group, culture and to understand their inner life. Isn't that what religion is suppose to be about (its original purpose)? Who are we and what is our place in the universe? Leading people to discover who intrinsic meaning in all this. Doesn't that have a substantial emotional quality attached to it? Doesn't that evoke some deep emotional response in you in your quest to answer these questions for yourself?

4} That would be interesting, but numbers being in agreement is not proof.

But that list, again, Alan, are not sighted as ways to fundamentally live ones life to the point where it governs every minute. We try to learn from recent history but I reckon that is also pretty much a lost cause as well.

Jack Knave

« Reply #728 on: July 01, 2015, 06:01:57 PM »
I'm saying we don't even know if he existed. There are no non Christian sources for his existence. Very strange considering that this was God's most important message to mankind. You would have thought it would have had a mega impact as God declared it with all his power.
No non-Christian sources for his existence other than for a couple of pretty well-respected Roman historians.  Oddly enough, sometimes the really important news doesn't hit the headlines like a rocket, but trickles in slowly.  When the Josephus references are considered, would you have expected a Jewish historian - clearly trying to hype the history of the Jews and Judaism - to have made a big thing of a man claiming to be their own God in human form and who then went on to criticise the leadership of his (Josephus') faith?
You imply more than one. Who else besides Josephus?

Yes, we are all bias. Just as the person who altered his manuscript to say Jesus was real was cooking the books.

Why did Jesus, as the story goes, only show himself to his followers. Why didn't he go to the high priests and Pilot and so on, and to all those that saw him on the cross? Or was there a problem with that?

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #729 on: July 01, 2015, 07:20:34 PM »
I'm saying we don't even know if he existed. There are no non Christian sources for his existence. Very strange considering that this was God's most important message to mankind. You would have thought it would have had a mega impact as God declared it with all his power.
No non-Christian sources for his existence other than for a couple of pretty well-respected Roman historians.  Oddly enough, sometimes the really important news doesn't hit the headlines like a rocket, but trickles in slowly.  When the Josephus references are considered, would you have expected a Jewish historian - clearly trying to hype the history of the Jews and Judaism - to have made a big thing of a man claiming to be their own God in human form and who then went on to criticise the leadership of his (Josephus') faith?

Yes, we are all bias. Just as the person who altered his manuscript to say Jesus was real was cooking the books.

Why did Jesus, as the story goes, only show himself to his followers. Why didn't he go to the high priests and Pilot and so on, and to all those that saw him on the cross? Or was there a problem with that?

How do we know He didn't?  They were hardly likely to announce it abroad if He had!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:24:00 PM by BashfulAnthony »
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Shaker

« Reply #730 on: July 01, 2015, 07:21:49 PM »
... aaaaaaaaaand the negative proof fallacy gets yet another airing ::)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

floo

« Reply #731 on: July 02, 2015, 08:52:24 AM »

Totally bonkers of course, but the logic and intelligence to understand that is obviously lacking! ::)

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
« Reply #732 on: July 02, 2015, 09:53:12 AM »

Totally bonkers of course, but the logic and intelligence to understand that is obviously lacking! ::)
Actually not and I'd be careful about claiming that of other people, floo. I would say that I would have expected the gospels to have recorded it if it had happened. It is surely better to counter BA's argument if you disagree with it than just be insulting. Would you not agree?
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

floo

« Reply #733 on: July 02, 2015, 10:25:53 AM »

Actually not and I'd be careful about claiming that of other people, floo. I would say that I would have expected the gospels to have recorded it if it had happened. It is surely better to counter BA's argument if you disagree with it than just be insulting. Would you not agree?

Like you mean the person in question responds to challenges? ::)

Alien

« Reply #734 on: July 02, 2015, 10:42:18 AM »

No, I mean it is better to disagree with someone's argument, try to explain why and not insult people.
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

floo

« Reply #735 on: July 02, 2015, 12:00:16 PM »

No, I mean it is better to disagree with someone's argument, try to explain why and not insult people.

The person  in question spends most of their posts being obnoxious to me and others, they seem to get off on it. I have not responded to their comments directly, because if I do I will probably go totally crazy and tell them exactly what I think of them in no uncertain terms. If I do that I will have to donate £100 to charity, as I promised to do if I let rip in their direction. But so help me I am very tempted! >:(

Alien

« Reply #736 on: July 02, 2015, 12:02:43 PM »

The person  in question spends most of their posts being obnoxious to me and others, they seem to get off on it.
Or you are just being paranoid?
I have not responded to their comments directly, because if I do I will probably go totally crazy and tell them exactly what I think of them in no uncertain terms. If I do that I will have to donate £100 to charity, as I promised to do if I let rip in their direction. But so help me I am very tempted! >:(
Or just ignore them if you can't give a proper response?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #737 on: July 02, 2015, 12:08:43 PM »

The person  in question spends most of their posts being obnoxious to me and others, they seem to get off on it.
I have not responded to their comments directly, because if I do I will probably go totally crazy and tell them exactly what I think of them in no uncertain terms. If I do that I will have to donate £100 to charity, as I promised to do if I let rip in their direction. But so help me I am very tempted! >:(

Can I suggest that the casual use of paranoid which is about a mental condition is somewhat tasteless?

Alien

« Reply #738 on: July 02, 2015, 04:31:45 PM »

Can I suggest that the casual use of paranoid which is about a mental condition is somewhat tasteless?
I'll settle for "thoughtless".

What term should I use? I'll use "irrationally anxious" from now on unless anyone can come up with a better suggestion.

floo

« Reply #739 on: July 02, 2015, 04:43:30 PM »
I am definitely NOT anxious just extremely irritated with just cause, imo!

Jack Knave

« Reply #740 on: July 02, 2015, 06:57:50 PM »
How come some of them went to their deaths for standing for something they knew was a lie?
And how do you know that they knew it wasn't a lie? All you have to gauge this is a book written 2000 years ago.
1) No, at least 5 books written 2000 years ago.

If they believed it to be true that belief is no proof that what they believed was true,
2) Oh good grief, this one has been done to death. No-one is claiming it thereby meant it was true. When will you lot stop making out as if our lot ever claim that?
just that they were in emotional need for it to be seen by them as being true
3) And how does it prove that? What a silly claim.

Because it can't be done genuinely. Once you're dead you are dead.
So why did people think they saw and sometimes ate with Jesus on a dozen or so occasions in the 40 days after his death?
You have no proof that they did!!! All you have is that some people wrote that, which proves nothing. All you have is speculation!!!
4) Slaps head.

1) I was referring to the NT but the number of books is neither here nor there. It all means is the duplication of the available tittle-tattle.
1} So independent witnesses (at least 5, we count only the writers, but at least a dozen if we count the people who claimed to have seen Jesus) now becomes "duplication of the available tittle-tattle". I was hoping for a serious discussion with you.

2) You only have yourself to blame for this. You can't claim they knew that the events were fact when quite clearly you don't know that.
2}Know 100%? Correct. Know enough to base my life upon it? Yes, I do know that well enough.
That's my whole argument here about what you actually know to be true about what happened 2000 years ago. Oh yeah, that's right, you weren't there to see it!!!!
3} What a weird criterion. So we should only believe things we have seen ourselves? Are you serious?

3) People join religions because they have a need.
4} What was my need then?
Quite obviously they were waiting for the messiah and all that and this new cult of following Jesus fitted the bill.
5} Oh, well put. It was what was predicted beforehand. Thanks for that endorsement.
It's just human nature to what to be loved and all that and to feel secure and safe.
6} <snigger/>

4) Slaps head. What ever floats your boat.

The only fact you have here is that the NT was written by men. Its content is just speculation.
7} If you want to know its content, may I suggest you read it. That's what other people do.

1} I could have used the word gossip or rumours but you know how it works, ideas get multiplied by constant exchange. We see this type of thing all the time, it part of our human nature.

2} And what do you really know about it? All you have are manuscripts written 2000 years ago and you don't even know why or how they came about, just guesswork. And on this you fashion the whole of your life - on pure speculation and guesswork.

3} I didn't say believe. I would never use that term in this context. You can't say that something is a fact just because some stranger has told you it is so, and you haven't investigated it personally to see if it is true.

This is my whole point of my argument! You can't fashion the fundamental aspect of your life on some "What ifs.".

4} Your need? As in all these cases it is a psychological one and one which you may not be fully aware of. Again, some understanding of human nature and some self introspection of one's nature and person is needed here to fully see what is going on.

5} Don't understand this comment. It sounds like some kind of sour grapes response?

I was hoping for a serious discussion with you.

6} Yes, well, I think you've found your level there. Is this the response you give your fellow church goers when they get all touchy-feely as you put it? Very loving indeed!!!

I was hoping for a serious discussion with you.

7} That is the whole point of my argument. Because the evidence is so weak and relies on pure speculation no firm conclusion can be acquired to justify taking it as a basis for one to live one's life by, to fashion one's fundamental framework on which one should conduct one's life. Therefore, there is no need to read it with the view to acquiring such a position. If my logical position is correct then the details within the NT are neither here nor there with respect to this kind of aim and debating such details is pointless in acquiring this aim, this basis on which to carry out one's life, because the level of assuredness in assessing the truth of the NT is not sufficient for such a task and never will be - as is true for all historical documents; the older they are the more so.

Jack Knave

« Reply #741 on: July 02, 2015, 07:18:22 PM »
"We don't even know if he existed"? So you are a conspiracy theory man then.

We do have Tacitus who wrote of him, probably Suetonius too. Don't forget Pliny the Younger writing of him or Josephus.

So why do you think we have no non-Christian sources for his existence? We don't know where they got their information from; it might have been Christians, but what sources would you expect which would tell us about an itinerant Jewish preacher who you were either for (and became a Christian, some of whom wrote about him) or were against him (and, if in your power, had him crucified and wanted the whole thing to cease)?
If it was so bloody obvious that Jesus had existed it would all be done and dusted by now. The fact people are arguing about this like historians shows that it is far from clear cut.

The fact is none of those were eyewitnesses. And I ask again, how come only his followers saw him afterwards? Wouldn't it have served God's plan to have Jesus show himself to his antagonists? If he had done this with hundreds of them they all couldn't have closed the rumours down and having a dead man alive in front of you would be most impressive beyond belief.

When you say those against him in your last line who do you mean who were contemporaries of Jesus? Not the Romans as he didn't cause that much of a fuss for them and there were others kicking up similar dust so it was just the norm of the times?

Jack Knave

« Reply #742 on: July 02, 2015, 07:53:41 PM »

That the whole story in fictional propaganda is a perfectly coherent explanation where both exaggerating and adding fictitious claims for effect are surely par for the course: so, all this stuff you keep citing about so and so seeing Jesus later would be trivially easy to add and and also fit with the desired portrayal of Jesus for future consumption.

I'm struggling why you are sticking limpet-like to these NT claims as if they were facts: and they can't be considered as being likely facts, and especially give the supernatural elements involved, until the risk of propaganda has been properly addressed.     
So are you really of the opinion that the Christian church was founded on propaganda which said that Jesus had died when he hadn't, that he was seen on about a dozen occasions alive and well afterwards, that the tomb (if he had died) was not really empty and that people then endured persecution and sometimes death to spread this propaganda. What would have been their motive? How did they manage to convince everyone?
Everything you say, which is like this, assumes these people, or people in general, were/are rational. Many religions have grown up with weird ideas and beliefs and have been followed by many people well after its creation. So why do you think these early Christians were any different? If many other religions/sects can have strange beliefs based on nothing then why not the sect that grew up 2000 years ago and which became Christianity?

Jack Knave

« Reply #743 on: July 02, 2015, 08:08:20 PM »

How do we know He didn't?  They were hardly likely to announce it abroad if He had!
If you saw a dead man, who you had killed, alive with hundreds of other people who had condoned your actions that would be pretty hard to deny, yes? If JC's follower were there they could easily say, "See!, it is all true that he is the son of God." Stuff like that can't be 'locked away' completely.

Jack Knave

« Reply #744 on: July 02, 2015, 08:24:42 PM »

Try it some time. You did exactly not this with a post of mine, either on here or "No health in us." You called something I said weird in it, besides other things. I replied to it today and await your reply.

You also, when cornered, resort to just replying "That's your assertion." or such like. And yet in the post mentioned above you said you had hoped to have had a serious conversation with me implying I'd got to playing games and being silly.

Is this the usual conduct of a Christian? Is this how you show how Christians are different and probitious compared to us atheists?

Alien

« Reply #745 on: July 03, 2015, 03:52:34 PM »
"We don't even know if he existed"? So you are a conspiracy theory man then.

We do have Tacitus who wrote of him, probably Suetonius too. Don't forget Pliny the Younger writing of him or Josephus.

So why do you think we have no non-Christian sources for his existence? We don't know where they got their information from; it might have been Christians, but what sources would you expect which would tell us about an itinerant Jewish preacher who you were either for (and became a Christian, some of whom wrote about him) or were against him (and, if in your power, had him crucified and wanted the whole thing to cease)?
If it was so bloody obvious that Jesus had existed it would all be done and dusted by now. The fact people are arguing about this like historians shows that it is far from clear cut.
It is obvious that Jesus existed, but there is much more to becoming a Christian than just believing he existed.

The fact is none of those were eyewitnesses.
Are you sure about that?
And I ask again, how come only his followers saw him afterwards?
Are you sure about that as well? James, his half-brother, does not seem to have been a follower until he met the risen Jesus.
Wouldn't it have served God's plan to have Jesus show himself to his antagonists?
Why? They had already seen he had done miracles before he was crucified.
If he had done this with hundreds of them they all couldn't have closed the rumours down and having a dead man alive in front of you would be most impressive beyond belief.
They saw him killed, they saw the empty tomb, they saw lots of witnesses. Why should they not already believe?

When you say those against him in your last line who do you mean who were contemporaries of Jesus? Not the Romans as he didn't cause that much of a fuss for them and there were others kicking up similar dust so it was just the norm of the times?
I was thinking of the Jewish authorities.

Alien

« Reply #746 on: July 03, 2015, 03:54:35 PM »

That the whole story in fictional propaganda is a perfectly coherent explanation where both exaggerating and adding fictitious claims for effect are surely par for the course: so, all this stuff you keep citing about so and so seeing Jesus later would be trivially easy to add and and also fit with the desired portrayal of Jesus for future consumption.

I'm struggling why you are sticking limpet-like to these NT claims as if they were facts: and they can't be considered as being likely facts, and especially give the supernatural elements involved, until the risk of propaganda has been properly addressed.     
So are you really of the opinion that the Christian church was founded on propaganda which said that Jesus had died when he hadn't, that he was seen on about a dozen occasions alive and well afterwards, that the tomb (if he had died) was not really empty and that people then endured persecution and sometimes death to spread this propaganda. What would have been their motive? How did they manage to convince everyone?
Everything you say, which is like this, assumes these people, or people in general, were/are rational. Many religions have grown up with weird ideas and beliefs and have been followed by many people well after its creation. So why do you think these early Christians were any different? If many other religions/sects can have strange beliefs based on nothing then why not the sect that grew up 2000 years ago and which became Christianity?
Because none, at least as far as I know, have anything like the evidence that Christianity has. Remember you need to account for the death of Jesus, the empty tomb, people as individuals and groups thinking they saw and/or ate with him on about a dozen occasions and the start of the Christian church from a bunch of previously dispirited and fearful people.

Which explanation do you have which covers all those?

BeRational

« Reply #747 on: July 03, 2015, 03:56:52 PM »
Alien

You say thinks like they saw him do miracles, they saw him crucified etc.

Just because these things are written in a book, if does not make them so.

In fact it is pretty certain that no miracles were performed ever by anyone anywhere, for the simple reason that they are not possible.

To simply say things happened due to a biased book is silly.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Alien

« Reply #748 on: July 03, 2015, 03:57:31 PM »

Try it some time. You did exactly not this with a post of mine, either on here or "No health in us." You called something I said weird in it, besides other things. I replied to it today and await your reply.
Calling a post "weird" is an insult? Really?

You also, when cornered, resort to just replying "That's your assertion." or such like.
If someone makes an assertion and does not back it up then they are ignoring the fact that the burden of proof is on them. That is not an insult. It is a basic rule of debate.
And yet in the post mentioned above you said you had hoped to have had a serious conversation with me implying I'd got to playing games and being silly.

Is this the usual conduct of a Christian? Is this how you show how Christians are different and probitious compared to us atheists?
A serious conversation includes trying to back whatever a person claims. That applies to both you and me.

Does anyone disagree?

BeRational

« Reply #749 on: July 03, 2015, 03:58:14 PM »

That the whole story in fictional propaganda is a perfectly coherent explanation where both exaggerating and adding fictitious claims for effect are surely par for the course: so, all this stuff you keep citing about so and so seeing Jesus later would be trivially easy to add and and also fit with the desired portrayal of Jesus for future consumption.if

Because none, at least as far as I know, have anything like the evidence that Christianity has. Remember you need to account for the death of Jesus, the empty tomb, people as individuals and groups thinking they saw and/or ate with him on about a dozen occasions and the start of the Christian church from a bunch of previously dispirited and fearful people.

Which explanation do you have which covers all those?

Its all a fabrication and it never happened.

Simple!
I see gullible people, everywhere!