Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3756699 times)

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #10550 on: March 03, 2016, 06:20:35 PM »
Pretty ghastly thing to say to someone, especially the dig about grandchildren.  Wow, Christianity as a kind of gulag.
To be fair to Sass, she is just trying to give an example of what the the consequences (not punishment) may be if we refuse to accept the offer of eternal salvation.  It is the power of evil which separates us from God, and ultimately from true happiness.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #10551 on: March 03, 2016, 06:25:29 PM »
I agree with you, Susan.  Muslims are generally forbidden to even read the Christian Bible, so I would not have been given much freedom in that situation.  But having been able to compare the Christian religion to Islam have no doubts as to which is closer to the truth.

..but would you have done the same in reverse if you had been brought up within Islam?
Probably!
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #10552 on: March 03, 2016, 06:32:54 PM »
To be fair to Sass, she is just trying to give an example of what the the consequences (not punishment) may be if we refuse to accept the offer of eternal salvation.  It is the power of evil which separates us from God, and ultimately from true happiness.

Alan, not everyone consciously or actively refuses the offer of eternal salvation.  Indeed, if a person is sure about it, they will not refuse it.   There are plenty who just cannot believe, despite plenty of trying and searching.  No-one can believe what they can't believe!  They are not digging their heels in and being stubborn.  It's just not there.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

torridon

« Reply #10553 on: March 03, 2016, 07:00:47 PM »

This is just one more reminder that you have not addressed a core contradiction at the heart of your thinking - if there is an all-powerful deity that created all things, then 'the power of evil that separates us from true happiness' is only there at all because God wills it so. Your rationale is incoherent.

Alan Burns

« Reply #10554 on: March 03, 2016, 07:26:18 PM »
This is just one more reminder that you have not addressed a core contradiction at the heart of your thinking - if there is an all-powerful deity that created all things, then 'the power of evil that separates us from true happiness' is only there at all because God wills it so. Your rationale is incoherent.
But the reality I see is that evil does have power.  God had to suffer, die and be resurrected to defeat evil and open up the way to heaven.  I admit that I do not see the big picture, but I accept Jesus as my saviour.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Alan Burns

« Reply #10555 on: March 03, 2016, 07:30:09 PM »
God did not create evil, He created beings with free will rather than puppets or robots, and I presume that evil was an unwanted consequence from this.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 07:32:56 PM by Alan Burns »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10556 on: March 03, 2016, 07:30:36 PM »
But the reality I see is that evil does have power.  God had to suffer, die and be resurrected to defeat evil and open up the way to heaven.  I admit that I do not see the big picture, but I accept Jesus as my saviour.
evil has power because your god gave evil that power, why are you representing a god that you want to shift the lakefront in a duplicitous way?

Shaker

« Reply #10557 on: March 03, 2016, 07:30:39 PM »
But the reality I see is that evil does have power.
More power than God, apparently.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10558 on: March 03, 2016, 07:31:22 PM »
God did not create evil, He created beings with free will, and I presume that evil was an unwanted consequence from this.
how can an omniscient being have unwanted consequences?

Shaker

« Reply #10559 on: March 03, 2016, 07:31:49 PM »
God did not create evil, He created beings with free will, and I presume that evil was an unwanted consequence from this.
There's nothing unwanted with an omnibenevolent, omniscient, omnipotent entity though is there?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #10560 on: March 03, 2016, 07:33:43 PM »

So, do you think that perhaps God didn't get it quite right?

See these 'omni' supernatural agents: you just can't depend on them not to fuck up!

Rhiannon

« Reply #10561 on: March 03, 2016, 07:35:05 PM »
God did not create evil, He created beings with free will rather than puppets or robots, and I presume that evil was an unwanted consequence from this.

So to get out of it he executed his son, but only to save people who agree that's a sensible proposition?

Alan Burns

« Reply #10562 on: March 03, 2016, 07:35:15 PM »
how can an omniscient being have unwanted consequences?
Because by definition, free will can go against God's will

Andy

« Reply #10563 on: March 03, 2016, 07:35:54 PM »

By saying that a god didn't create evil, you're saying that when this god is without beings with free will, there is nothing that isn't good. How does this god perceive itself in a moral context when there were no beings with free will?

Alan Burns

« Reply #10564 on: March 03, 2016, 07:37:51 PM »
So to get out of it he executed his son, but only to save people who agree that's a sensible proposition?
No - it was the evil in this world which executed His son.

Shaker

« Reply #10565 on: March 03, 2016, 07:40:19 PM »
So there's at least one thing that's more powerful than the will of God.

How many more are there?

Khatru

« Reply #10566 on: March 03, 2016, 07:47:01 PM »

If this is what your god had to do to defeat evil then he's not omnipotent.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

Rhiannon

« Reply #10567 on: March 03, 2016, 07:51:09 PM »
No - it was the evil in this world which executed His son.

Which God couldn't stop?

That still doesn't address why God only saves his followers if evil is an unintended consequence of his actions. That hardly seems fair.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10568 on: March 03, 2016, 07:52:52 PM »
against maybe, but out with of omniscience,no, unless you think prophecy is impossible? If you think prophecy works, then free will is impossible, if you think free will is possible, prophecy isn't.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10569 on: March 03, 2016, 07:55:22 PM »

How can an omniscient being have an unwanted consequence? If such a being has unwanted consequences then it can get fucked up thearse and Satan can win.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 07:57:25 PM by Nearly Sane »

Leonard James

« Reply #10570 on: March 03, 2016, 08:16:49 PM »
So there's at least one thing that's more powerful than the will of God.

How many more are there?

Clearly the ability to reason of non-believers is more powerful than both "God" and the "Devil".

torridon

« Reply #10571 on: March 03, 2016, 08:48:57 PM »
God had to suffer, die and be resurrected to defeat evil and open up the way to heaven.

But by your own claims, he didn't succeed in defeating evil; despite all that suffering and dieing, evil is still alive and well and messing with people's heads, just as before. The image you paint is of a desperate, failing God; whatever happened to 'almighty' ?

You often explain people's inability to 'see the light', or 'accept Jesus' as a consequence of evil. Inability to see the logic in this theology does not relate to free will in any way.  If I cannot comprehend the incomprehensible or believe the unbelievable I cannot be blamed for that as if I were somehow 'free' in the matter; I have no choice
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:09:01 PM by torridon »

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #10572 on: March 03, 2016, 09:55:59 PM »
God had to suffer, die and be resurrected to defeat evil

..failed then?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Alan Burns

« Reply #10573 on: March 03, 2016, 11:09:42 PM »

You often explain people's inability to 'see the light', or 'accept Jesus' as a consequence of evil. Inability to see the logic in this theology does not relate to free will in any way.  If I cannot comprehend the incomprehensible or believe the unbelievable I cannot be blamed for that as if I were somehow 'free' in the matter; I have no choice
And I have tried to illustrate that while there may be no definite proof, there is overwhelming evidence of God's existence.  When you are called to account for your life on this earth, will you be able to say with all honesty that you did not see the evidence?

Shaker

« Reply #10574 on: March 03, 2016, 11:19:56 PM »
And I have tried to illustrate that while there may be no definite proof, there is overwhelming evidence of God's existence.
If you've tried it's been a miserable failure. I've only ever seen a constant parade of logical fallacy and flat assertion. What's this "overwhelming evidence" supposed to be, exactly, and who is it supposed to overwhelm?
When you are called to account for your life on this earth
Don't believe this for a second.
will you be able to say with all honesty that you did not see the evidence?
Yes.

Wishful thinking aplenty.

Logical fallacies of one kind or another, alias poor reasoning, in spades.

Psychological need/desire explicable by psychology, anthropology, etc. by the lorryload.

See all those.

Evidence for gods, zilch.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 11:35:41 PM by Shaker »