Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3732003 times)

ippy

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #17275 on: April 28, 2017, 04:12:03 PM »
Careful you don't pull a muscle while you pat yourself on the back, ippy.

I'll take it you're an atrekiest then, N S.

ippy

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17276 on: April 28, 2017, 04:15:07 PM »
NS,

Ah yes, people who are being smug and self congratulatory always admit it. We've just had a litlle run of you, bhs, and BeRational all noting how stupid people you are disagreeing with because they are not 'thinking people'.

Where did I do that please?
"Don't make me come down there."

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17277 on: April 28, 2017, 04:17:46 PM »
NS,

Just to note that will I think AB, Vlad, and SotS may have issues with their arguments, I haven't seen them do the prove the Bible with the Bible schtick

AB is given to, "the Bible says, therefore..." type statements. I agree that Vlad and Sword don't though.

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17278 on: April 28, 2017, 04:18:34 PM »
NS,

Where did I do that please?

SD used the phrase. And it was her I picked up on. You began it with one of your bewaiings of the failings of others.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17279 on: April 28, 2017, 04:19:35 PM »
NS,

AB is given to, "the Bible says, therefore..." type statements. I agree that Vlad and Sword don't though.
The vast majority of AB's postings neither mention nor quote the Bible

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17280 on: April 28, 2017, 04:20:24 PM »
I'll take it you're an atrekiest then, N S.

ippy
live long and prosper, ippy

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17281 on: April 28, 2017, 04:25:47 PM »
NS,

SD used the phrase. And it was her I picked up on. You began it with one of your bewaiings of the failings of others.

You accused me of "noting how stupid people you are disagreeing with because they are not 'thinking people'."

I merely asked where I'd done that because, so far as i recall, I haven't. If you can't produce an example, so be it.

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17282 on: April 28, 2017, 04:29:02 PM »
NS,

You accused me of "noting how stupid people you are disagreeing with because they are not 'thinking people'."

I merely asked where I'd done that because, so far as i recall, I haven't. If you can't produce an example, so be it.

I have explained what I said. I note you ignored that.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17283 on: April 28, 2017, 04:30:50 PM »
NS,

The vast majority of AB's postings neither mention nor quote the Bible

Yes I know, but that's not what you said. What you said was: "...I haven't seen them do the prove the Bible with the Bible schtick".

Either you haven't been reading his posts or you've forgotten them. He has done it (quite recently in fact), and no-one suggested that he does it in anything other than the minority of his postings.

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17284 on: April 28, 2017, 04:34:47 PM »
NS,

Yes I know, but that's not what you said. What you said was: "...I haven't seen them do the prove the Bible with the Bible schtick".

Either you haven't been reading his posts or you've forgotten them. He has done it (quite recently in fact), and no-one suggested that he does it in anything other than the minority of his postings.

So there is no chance that I might have read nearly all of his posts but not seen one which you admit is rare? I suggest that is possible and you created a false dichotomy above.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 04:39:51 PM by Nearly Sane »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17285 on: April 28, 2017, 04:40:37 PM »
NS,

I have explained what I said. I note you ignored that.

The explanation was also was untrue.

First, your accusation specifically was of "noting how stupid people you are disagreeing with because they are not 'thinking people'."

I have done no such thing - neither the "stupid" bit nor the "not thinking people" bit.

Second, even if your resile from "noting how stupid" people are to "bewailings of the failings of others" that doesn't help you either because what I actually did was to refer specifically to the abuse of logic, not to the "failings" or "stupidity" of the people who do it. The arguments attempted stand or fall on their merits - the character or motivation of the people making them is not something I commented on.

God

Robbie

« Reply #17286 on: April 28, 2017, 04:42:44 PM »
[quote floo]
You certainly can't prove the Bible using the Bible, I wish those that try to do so would realise that. Just because something is in that book doesn't necessarily make it true.
[/quote]

Don't get that much now floo except Christians amongst themselves.
"You can't prove the Bible with the Bible" is a phrase often used by Christians.

Just to note that will I think AB, Vlad, and SotS may have issues with their arguments, I haven't seen them do the prove the Bible with the Bible schtick

Don't think I've seen it either, not much on here at all. Daresay it will happen now I've said that.
Just read Blue's post so someone did, it must have slipped out.
Later - Found something on page 22 if anyone is interested (doubt they are): Reply #543 on: June 07, 2015, 01:35:39 PM
-----

We're all thinking people, if we weren't we wouldn't bother with a forum like this surely? We don't all think the same, that's for sure. How boring it would be if we did.

Looking at the earlier pages of this thread it is amazing how often the same thing is said. Does anyone ever decide that a thread has run its course? Just a thought.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:47:25 PM by Robinson »
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17287 on: April 28, 2017, 04:47:00 PM »
NS,

So there is no chance that I might have read nearly all of his posts but not seen one which you admit is rare? I suggest that is possible and you created a false dichotomy above.

Are you having a bad day or something? I didn't say it was "rare" (in fact I didn't mention frequency at all – frequency was a red herring you introduced after telling us that you hadn't seen him do it), and it would be surprising if you'd never seen it given how assiduously you seem to see everything else. Even if you have missed it though, I merely pointed out that he does do it. Nothing more, nothing less.   

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17288 on: April 28, 2017, 04:52:51 PM »
NS,

Are you having a bad day or something? I didn't say it was "rare" (in fact I didn't mention frequency at all – frequency was a red herring you introduced after telling us that you hadn't seen him do it), and it would be surprising if you'd never seen it given how assiduously you seem to see everything else. Even if you have missed it though, I merely pointed out that he does do it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ah a veiled attempt at saying I must be lying by use of the 'assiduously'. Not having a bad day at all. Just bored by the circle jerk of people thinking how clever they are. You created  a dichotomy, you didn't merely point out that he did it. You really need to be more honest with yourself.

SusanDoris

« Reply #17289 on: April 28, 2017, 04:59:44 PM »
NS,

Are you having a bad day or something[
Certainly sounds a bit like it. I was intending to post in a minute but think I'll come in here.
It was obviously a bad idea to use the phrase 'thinking people'. I wrongly assumed that it would be fairly obvious that I meant people who are not totally trapped in a religious belief. Too late to go back and change it now I suppose.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17290 on: April 28, 2017, 05:00:23 PM »
NS,

Here's AB only recently in this thread (Reply 17110):

Well, the bible says we are made in God's image, so I conclude that...

And here's your reply to him (Reply 17112)

none of which gets you any closer to a logically coherent definition of free here. So more meaningless posting from you.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:18:21 PM by bluehillside »

God

BeRational

« Reply #17291 on: April 28, 2017, 05:01:28 PM »

Ah a veiled attempt at saying I must be lying by use of the 'assiduously'. Not having a bad day at all. Just bored by the circle jerk of people thinking how clever they are. You created  a dichotomy, you didn't merely point out that he did it. You really need to be more honest with yourself.

I never said it either!
I see gullible people, everywhere!

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17292 on: April 28, 2017, 05:02:51 PM »
NS,

There was no "veiled" anything, and I'd have thought the dissembling from "I haven't seen him do it" to "OK, but he doesn't do it in the majority of cases" (which no-one had claimed) is the only honesty issue that needs addressing here.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:12:19 PM by bluehillside »

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17293 on: April 28, 2017, 05:11:35 PM »
BR,

I never said it either!

I know. Vlad and Nearly - separated at birth?  ;)

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17294 on: April 28, 2017, 06:17:33 PM »
Smug, and self-congratulatory? That is definitely not me. I am referring to the people, including me, who try to engage them in argument
When was this? You strike me as being a mere cheerleader.

Having said that..... give me the logical steps to atheism...I'm all ears.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #17295 on: April 28, 2017, 06:31:00 PM »
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

floo

« Reply #17296 on: April 28, 2017, 06:35:14 PM »
When was this? You strike me as being a mere cheerleader.

As there is no evidence any god exists; it is a logical step towards unbelief.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17297 on: April 28, 2017, 07:07:48 PM »
Vlad,

As you've been given those logical steps countless times, there probably isn't much point in doing it again. Tell you what though, I'll give you a step-by-step guide so in future you can work it out for yourself:

Step 1: Look up in any reputable dictionary the term "atheism".

Step 2. Remember the answer to Step 1, and promise yourself not to lie about that again.

Step 3: Write down the logical steps that validate your a-leprechaunism.

Step 4: In the document you've created, when the word "leprechaun" appears replace it with "God".

Step 5: Whenever you have a rush of blood to the head and think you've found a cogent argument for "God", apply to it Step 4 in reverse. If it works just as well for leprechauns, it's probably a bad argument.

Step 6: Give yourself a pat on the back for finally getting it, and maybe ease off a little now on the Richard Dawkins man crush.

You're welcome!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 07:26:49 PM by bluehillside »

God

SusanDoris

« Reply #17298 on: April 28, 2017, 07:14:31 PM »
bluehillside #17,299

:) I'm going to shut the computer down now - Vlad might reply and that would mean I'd have to turn off with  one of his posts as the last one to read today!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17299 on: April 28, 2017, 07:20:26 PM »
Hi Susan,

:) I'm going to shut the computer down now - Vlad might reply and that would mean I'd have to turn off with  one of his posts as the last one to read today!

Yep, probably a good idea. His usual response is either abuse, a straw man, or some guff about the different characteristics claimed for each conjecture as if that in some unspecified way could be retro-fitted to make a bad argument into a good one.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I can face more of that either!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 07:42:45 PM by bluehillside »

God