Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3731042 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #17375 on: April 30, 2017, 01:59:38 PM »
I wouldn't: naturalism involves methods that are amenable to review whereas theism has no discernible methods, so they aren't 'equal' and it would seem like a category error to say they were.

So, while you're spend your time trying to rubbish naturalism (or what you understand to be naturalism) you're saying nothing substantive about theism.
There is a difference between philosophical naturalism and methodological naturalism. You are confusing the two and eliminating the problems that methodological materialism poses for the philosophical aspect.
Nobody is trying to rubbish naturalism it is one of the great philosophical positions, but it does have problems. It is, while not the gold of theism, Sterling silver carried in the crucibles of shite argument given by it's acolytes.

I am a methodological naturalist and honour naturalistic materialism by not diddling about with it like some atheists who dishonour it with inflated claims for it.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17376 on: April 30, 2017, 02:15:18 PM »
Vlad,

There is a difference between philosophical naturalism and methodological naturalism.

Yes – the former is the working assumption that the material is all we know of that’s reliably accessible and investigable; the latter is the application of methods to do the investigating.

You are confusing the two and eliminating the problems that methodological materialism poses for the philosophical aspect.

What problems?

Nobody is trying to rubbish naturalism it is one of the great philosophical positions, but it does have problems.

For example?

It is, while not the gold of theism, Sterling silver carried in the crucibles of shite argument given by it's acolytes.

I see the gibberish generator is fully fired up again. What are you even trying to express here?

I am a methodological naturalist and honour naturalistic materialism by not diddling about with it like some atheists who dishonour it with inflated claims for it.

The only “inflated claims” are the misattributions you insist on making so as to knock down the straw men you’ve created. If you stopped lying about what the materialists here actually do think you’d at least be on the same page, albeit at the cost that the schtick in which you’re so heavily invested would finally have given up the (holy) ghost.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17377 on: April 30, 2017, 02:22:05 PM »
Vlad,

Yes – the former is the working assumption that the material is all we know of that’s reliably accessible and investigable;
Citation.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #17378 on: April 30, 2017, 03:07:12 PM »
There is a difference between philosophical naturalism and methodological naturalism.

So there is.

You are confusing the two and eliminating the problems that methodological materialism poses for the philosophical aspect.

I'm not, and what problems are these?

Nobody is trying to rubbish naturalism it is one of the great philosophical positions, but it does have problems.

Any specific ones?

It is, while not the gold of theism, Sterling silver carried in the crucibles of shite argument given by it's acolytes.

Very nice: does this have any meaning or do you just like this sequence of words?

Said the arch-diddler.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17379 on: April 30, 2017, 03:18:08 PM »
So there is.

I'm not, and what problems are these?

The problems with philosophical naturalism?
It is a circular argument.
It is not demonstrated by methodological naturalism.

SusanDoris

« Reply #17380 on: April 30, 2017, 05:55:45 PM »
I've had 'this page can't be displayed' all day except for very briefly early on, but I suppose there is one small advangtage - I have more to read when I do manage to get on to the site!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

ippy

« Reply #17381 on: April 30, 2017, 08:08:54 PM »
When future generations read the kind of things Vlad and A B come out with, assuming they get the oppertunity of course, I feel sure they will be filed along with Zeus, Wotan or Thor believers and consigned to the annels of history in just the same way.

Neither of them are making any sense, still it'a free country they can believe anything they like and I must admit they do show the ability, a tallent to believe anything.

ippy

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #17382 on: April 30, 2017, 08:50:13 PM »
When future generations read the kind of things Vlad and A B come out with, assuming they get the oppertunity of course, I feel sure they will be filed along with Zeus, Wotan or Thor believers and consigned to the annels of history in just the same way.

Neither of them are making any sense, still it'a free country they can believe anything they like and I must admit they do show the ability, a tallent to believe anything.

ippy
We believe what we sincerely perceive to be the truth.  I do hope and pray that you too will come to see the truth.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

ippy

« Reply #17383 on: May 01, 2017, 12:13:57 AM »
We believe what we sincerely perceive to be the truth.  I do hope and pray that you too will come to see the truth.

You could say I'm just a tad nearer to that than you think you are, dream on A B.

ippy

torridon

« Reply #17384 on: May 01, 2017, 06:23:05 AM »
Does it not seem ironic that you can dismiss our apparent human free will as an illusion, but you can assume an animal's conscious awareness is the same as human's because we can observe reactions to various stimuli?

Not ironic, really.

Our free will is apparent, but the idea is undermined by evidence and reason.

Another creature's inner sentience is apparent, from its outward behaviours, and there are no contraindications from evidence to suggest otherwise, so we assume what is apparent.

Both these positions are true to the principals of evidence and reason.

Since your position always seems to be diametrically opposed to mine, that would suggest that 'searching for God' is simultaneously, the abandonment of evidence and reason. Maybe that is what God is, the enemy of reason.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 06:26:37 AM by torridon »

floo

« Reply #17385 on: May 01, 2017, 09:22:25 AM »
I find it annoying when people pray for people to see matters of faith their way, especially as they have absolutely no evidence, apart from in their own mind, to support their position.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17386 on: May 01, 2017, 09:50:47 AM »
Vlad,

The problems with philosophical naturalism?
It is a circular argument.
It is not demonstrated by methodological naturalism.

No it isn’t. It’s a statement of observation – that the material is all we know of that’s reliably accessible and investigable could easily be refuted if ever anyone managed to do either or both for the “non-material”. "Methodological naturalism" doesn't purport to demonstrate philosophical naturalism.

Look, if you really want to build your straw man you’re on safer ground sticking with “physicalism” (which I notice you’ve gradually begun to do now the “philosophical naturalism” game is up) – or at least “extreme” or “hard” physicalism. These position actually do say what you want philosophical naturalism to say but doesn’t, ie the positive statement that the physical is necessarily all there is. That way you would at least have got your labels right, and you could attack that to your heart's content as something that’s unknowable.

You’d still of course have the problem that it is a straw man – no-one that I know of thinks that (just as no-one I know believes the idiosyncratic meaning of philosophical naturalism you keep trying to make mean extreme physicalism and then pin on people) but as your stock in trade is the straw man I suppose that won’t bother you much. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:52:53 AM by bluehillside »

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17387 on: May 01, 2017, 09:58:51 AM »
AB,

We believe what we sincerely perceive to be the truth.

I don’t know who you think “we” to be but no-one doubts your sincerity. History though is littered with people who were sincerely wrong. You’re a bit like one of those X Factor contestants who’s tone deaf, but pleads that she really, really wants it as if that has anything to do with being taken seriously. 

I do hope and pray that you too will come to see the truth.

By which presumably you mean your truth. Well, as it seems to rely heavily on irrationalism and science denial that would in my view be a very bad thing but each to his own I suppose.

God

ekim

« Reply #17388 on: May 01, 2017, 10:13:59 AM »
I hope that you do too, so that belief then becomes redundant.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17389 on: May 01, 2017, 10:27:12 AM »
Vlad,

No it isn’t. It’s a statement of observation – that the material is all we know of that’s reliably accessible and investigable could easily be refuted if ever anyone managed to do either or both for the “non-material”. "Methodological naturalism" doesn't purport to demonstrate philosophical naturalism.

Look, if you really want to build your straw man you’re on safer ground sticking with “physicalism” (which I notice you’ve gradually begun to do now the “philosophical naturalism” game is up) – or at least “extreme” or “hard” physicalism. These position actually do say what you want philosophical naturalism to say but doesn’t, ie the positive statement that the physical is necessarily all there is. That way you would at least have got your labels right, and you could attack that to your heart's content as something that’s unknowable.

You’d still of course have the problem that it is a straw man – no-one that I know of thinks that (just as no-one I know believes the idiosyncratic meaning of philosophical naturalism you keep trying to make mean extreme physicalism and then pin on people) but as your stock in trade is the straw man I suppose that won’t bother you much.
I'm not sure whether attempts to reassure Philosophical Naturalists that they are indeed correct or at least not guilty of circular argument or not being able to demonstrate the belief with it's own central premise....are acts of kindness or unwitting cruelty.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:41:22 AM by Emergence-The musical »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17390 on: May 01, 2017, 10:39:50 AM »
Not ironic, really.

Our free will is apparent, but the idea is undermined by evidence and reason.

Another creature's inner sentience is apparent, from its outward behaviours, and there are no contraindications from evidence to suggest otherwise, so we assume what is apparent.

Both these positions are true to the principals of evidence and reason.

Since your position always seems to be diametrically opposed to mine, that would suggest that 'searching for God' is simultaneously, the abandonment of evidence and reason. Maybe that is what God is, the enemy of reason.
A Good old Don..... plate juggling precise scientism with gross theological speculation Ha Ha.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17391 on: May 01, 2017, 10:41:07 AM »
Vlad,

I'm not sure whether attempts to reassure Philosophical Naturalists that they are indeed correct or at least not guilty of circular argument or not being able to demonstrate the belief with what it's own central premise....are acts of kindness or unwitting cruelty.

S’funny. When I posted my explanation of why you’re so wrong I thought, “I bet he just ignores completely the argument that undoes him and instead deflects with daft irrelevance”.

And sure enough…

Still, if ever you do manage to find someone who actually does think “extreme physicalism/Vlad’s personal re-definition of philosophical naturalism” is a sustainable position by all means knock yourself out telling him why he’s wrong. Who knows, maybe there’s even a website somewhere with contributors who actually do think that – good luck looking!   

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17392 on: May 01, 2017, 10:42:58 AM »
I hope that you do too, so that belief then becomes redundant.
That would still leave logical positivism wouldn't it.

After three......This means nothing to me aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Vienna!

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17393 on: May 01, 2017, 10:49:07 AM »
Vlad,

S’funny.

It would be if it wasn't so serious.
Are you able to give a citation of anybodies which share your definition of Philosophical Naturalism?....Anybody?

Even Rationalwiki follow mine......if it helps I shall quote them in future...
What have you got?

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Philosophical_naturalism
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:57:49 AM by Emergence-The musical »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17394 on: May 01, 2017, 10:55:37 AM »
Vlad,

A Good old Don..... plate juggling precise scientism with gross theological speculation Ha Ha.

Just out of interest, why do you post here? The obvious answer is that you get a kick from trolling, but constantly using terms incorrectly (whether deliberately or inadvertently) just makes you look idiotic to those who do know what they mean, which after so many corrections I imagine to be pretty much everyone here.

Torri’s post for example contained neither scientism nor gross theological speculation (isn’t all theology speculation by the way?) yet you pop up like a jabbering monkey banging its cymbals with the same old mistakes.

Why even bother?

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17395 on: May 01, 2017, 11:05:09 AM »
Vlad,

Just out of interest, why do you post here?
Any responsible bystander would intervene in cases of blatant and unwarranted category ****ing Hillside. I don't need thanking.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 11:15:14 AM by Emergence-The musical »

floo

« Reply #17396 on: May 01, 2017, 11:19:52 AM »
Any responsible bystander would intervene in cases of blatant and unwarranted category ****ing Hillside. I don't need thanking.

Come on you post here because you enjoy being a WUM! ;D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 01:31:16 PM by Floo »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17397 on: May 01, 2017, 11:51:45 AM »
Vlad,

It would be if it wasn't so serious.

Are you able to give a citation of anybodies which share your definition of Philosophical Naturalism?....Anybody?

Will the Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy on Naturalism do?:

“So understood, “naturalism” is not a particularly informative term as applied to contemporary philosophers. The great majority of contemporary philosophers would happily accept naturalism as just characterized—that is, they would both reject “supernatural” entities, and allow that science is a possible route (if not necessarily the only one) to important truths about the “human spirit”.”

The, “possible (if not the necessarily the only…”) tells you that philosophical naturalism is not the absolutist position you claim it to be. That’s the more accurate definition of philosophical naturalism than your own, and it’s the one I’m happy to hold: I reject supernatural entities (because there are no cogent reasons to do otherwise) and I’m perfectly happy to accept that conceptually at least there may be other paths than science (or even than logic) to truths.

Even Rationalwiki follow mine......if it helps I shall quote them in future...

Is that right?

Here’s what RationalWiki actually has to say on naturalism:

“Science is itself a process based on methodological naturalism, i.e. treating the world as if metaphysical naturalism was the case (even in utmost issues of philosophy), but without actually taking a stand on matters philosophical (outside of method)"

Did you see the “without taking a stand” there? That’s why methodological naturalism does not even purport to validate philosophical naturalism as you somewhat bizarrely complain that it fails to do.

It continues:

“Metaphysical naturalism, on the other hand, is what it means to extend scientific principles all the way into the farthest reaches of philosophy. Scouting future territory for the natural sciences to conduct research in (and defending naturalism generally), philosophical naturalism is what Richard Carrier simply describes as "science with less data",[4] operating in anticipation of scientific data where possible.”

Metaphysical naturalism in other words is what you actually seem to mean when you mischaracterise “philosophical naturalism”.

The article concludes:

“Metaphysical naturalism is more or less a basic precept of all modern analytic philosophy , which was itself formed partially in protest of the centuries of woo that had accreted in philosophy prior to the explosive triumph of modern science in the last 150 years or so.

Strict adherence to methodological naturalism creates a theoretical space in which positions like NOMA may be compatibly held by those who chose to do so. Methodological naturalism is, as such, the "minimum position" to which science is reducible[5] — and it still entails not giving the time of day to woo-meistry.

In that context, metaphysical naturalism simply means "closing" said NOMA/gaps space by taking the fight all the way against theology and accommodationism.”

What have you got?

See above.

All clear now?

Good.

OK, so let’s turn next to the point that’s actually relevant here – your straw man problem. Even of you hadn’t misunderstood or mischaracterised the above, your basic problem is that no-one actually makes the arguments you keep tilting at. Not once have I nor, so far as I recall, anyone else here argued for extreme physicalism, metaphysical naturalism or any other absolutist position.

Why then do you even bother with it rather than engage with what people actually do say?

Seriously, why?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 11:57:42 AM by bluehillside »

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17398 on: May 01, 2017, 11:56:40 AM »
Vlad,

Any responsible bystander would intervene in cases of blatant and unwarranted category ****ing Hillside.

Possibly he would but only if, like you, that responsible bystander didn't understand the term "category error".

I don't need thanking.

No you don't. You do though need the "th" to be replaced with an "sp".
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 12:35:11 PM by bluehillside »

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17399 on: May 01, 2017, 12:43:53 PM »
Vlad,

Will the Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy on Naturalism do?:

“So understood, “naturalism” is not a particularly informative term as applied to contemporary philosophers. The great majority of contemporary philosophers would happily accept naturalism as just characterized—that is, they would both reject “supernatural” entities, and allow that science is a possible route (if not necessarily the only one) to important truths about the “human spirit”.”

The, “possible (if not the necessarily the only…”) tells you that philosophical naturalism is not the absolutist position you claim it to be. That’s the more accurate definition of philosophical naturalism than your own, and it’s the one I’m happy to hold: I reject supernatural entities (because there are no cogent reasons to do otherwise) and I’m perfectly happy to accept that conceptually at least there may be other paths than science (or even than logic) to truths.

Is that right?

Here’s what RationalWiki actually has to say on naturalism:

“Science is itself a process based on methodological naturalism, i.e. treating the world as if metaphysical naturalism was the case (even in utmost issues of philosophy), but without actually taking a stand on matters philosophical (outside of method)"

Did you see the “without taking a stand” there? That’s why methodological naturalism does not even purport to validate philosophical naturalism as you somewhat bizarrely complain that it fails to do.

It continues:

“Metaphysical naturalism, on the other hand, is what it means to extend scientific principles all the way into the farthest reaches of philosophy. Scouting future territory for the natural sciences to conduct research in (and defending naturalism generally), philosophical naturalism is what Richard Carrier simply describes as "science with less data",[4] operating in anticipation of scientific data where possible.”

Metaphysical naturalism in other words is what you actually seem to mean when you mischaracterise “philosophical naturalism”.

The article concludes:

“Metaphysical naturalism is more or less a basic precept of all modern analytic philosophy , which was itself formed partially in protest of the centuries of woo that had accreted in philosophy prior to the explosive triumph of modern science in the last 150 years or so.

Strict adherence to methodological naturalism creates a theoretical space in which positions like NOMA may be compatibly held by those who chose to do so. Methodological naturalism is, as such, the "minimum position" to which science is reducible[5] — and it still entails not giving the time of day to woo-meistry.

In that context, metaphysical naturalism simply means "closing" said NOMA/gaps space by taking the fight all the way against theology and accommodationism.”

See above.

All clear now?

Good.

OK, so let’s turn next to the point that’s actually relevant here – your straw man problem. Even of you hadn’t misunderstood or mischaracterised the above, your basic problem is that no-one actually makes the arguments you keep tilting at. Not once have I nor, so far as I recall, anyone else here argued for extreme physicalism, metaphysical naturalism or any other absolutist position.

Why then do you even bother with it rather than engage with what people actually do say?

Seriously, why?
Oh, Flaming heck Hillside People can read the definitions for themselves. Philosophical naturalism is what we are talking about.

You are trying to conflate methodological naturalism with philosophical naturalism in the hope that it will disguise any philosophy...That's just the ''turd that will not polish''.

Please admit incorrectness over definition then the way is clear for us to discuss any de facto position.