Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3732683 times)

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #42375 on: October 27, 2020, 07:40:59 PM »
On what basis does anyone have a single good supportable reason to think a statement such as, 'using the gifts God gave us', has anything to do with reality?

All sorts of things can be asserted, wish I could find a way of asserting several millions of £ type pounds into my bank account!

It IS an assertion.
YYou may not accept it, but many have been spurred on by their faith to pursue scientific disciplines, and in that pursuit, found their faith strengthened without compromising their speciality in their chosen discipline.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

ippy

« Reply #42376 on: October 28, 2020, 01:30:27 PM »

It IS an assertion.
YYou may not accept it, but many have been spurred on by their faith to pursue scientific disciplines, and in that pursuit, found their faith strengthened without compromising their speciality in their chosen discipline.

So I've heard there's still a few people around that still think the Earth is flat, I don't think there's much merit in that line of thought either.

Random happenings such as the chance that two particular people happen to be parents, the chance happening the offspring has a fortunate or unfortunate mix of genes, where borne, living in what particular country, the parents ability to live above or below subsistence level, all unpredictable.

Also very little to do with any magic mystic or superstition based ideas having had any effect on the outcome and people still go for this iron age mythology in spite of how well informed the majority of us are nowadays.

These beliefs in themselves well I'm sure we can all live with a few of these people still believing this stuff other than that this lot bring up their children insisting they teach their children about religion whilst at the same time indoctrinating the next generation filling their heads with unsubstantiated beliefs as though they were facts.

ippy 

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #42377 on: October 28, 2020, 01:46:28 PM »
So I've heard there's still a few people around that still think the Earth is flat, I don't think there's much merit in that line of thought either.

Random happenings such as the chance that two particular people happen to be parents, the chance happening the offspring has a fortunate or unfortunate mix of genes, where borne, living in what particular country, the parents ability to live above or below subsistence level, all unpredictable.

Also very little to do with any magic mystic or superstition based ideas having had any effect on the outcome and people still go for this iron age mythology in spite of how well informed the majority of us are nowadays.

These beliefs in themselves well I'm sure we can all live with a few of these people still believing this stuff other than that this lot bring up their children insisting they teach their children about religion whilst at the same time indoctrinating the next generation filling their heads with unsubstantiated beliefs as though they were facts.

ippy
In what ways is believing in God like believing the earth is flat?

ippy

« Reply #42378 on: October 28, 2020, 02:05:01 PM »

It's like believing in Leprechauns or Hob Goblins too, there's just as much evidence for these two as there is for the magical, mystical and superstition based parts of that manual of yours Vlad, without having to mention Flat Earthers.

Surly this should have sunk in to your brain by now it's been explained to you so many times by Blue alone without reference to all of the others that have tried to get through to you on this.

ippy.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #42379 on: October 28, 2020, 02:28:13 PM »
It's like believing in Leprechauns or Hob Goblins too, there's just as much evidence for these two as there is for the magical, mystical and superstition based parts of that manual of yours Vlad, without having to mention Flat Earthers.

Surly this should have sunk in to your brain by now it's been explained to you so many times by Blue alone without reference to all of the others that have tried to get through to you on this.

ippy.

ippy.
In what way is believing in God the same as believing in Leprechauns and hobgoblins.

Hillside has explained nothing. Please make your own answers please . When I want a supply of hillshit I will request it. Right now I am rather after Ipshit.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #42380 on: October 28, 2020, 02:36:41 PM »
Vlad,

In what way is believing in God the same as believing in Leprechauns and hobgoblins.

In the way that subscribers to all of them cannot justified justify their claims with cogent arguments or evidence. The different outcomes of the same bad arguments has no epistemic significance.   

Hillside has explained nothing.

And back to your lying you go. I’ve explained it to you many times – why pretend otherwise?

Please make your own answers please . When I want a supply of hillshit I will request it. Right now I am rather after Ipsh

And now you chuck in some abuse while you make good your escape. Vlad is back in the room!
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #42381 on: October 28, 2020, 02:40:28 PM »
Vlad,

In the way that subscribers to all of them cannot justified justify their claims with cogent arguments or evidence. The different outcomes of the same bad arguments has no epistemic significance.   

Please exemplify.

Yours, Not holding his breath

Vlad.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #42382 on: October 28, 2020, 02:44:55 PM »
Vlad,

Please exemplify.

Yours, Not holding his breath

“Exemplify”?

Anyway, as you’ve had explained countless times: a bad argument does not become a good argument when it’s used to justify one belief rather than another.

Now write that down 100 times (or until it sinks in).   

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #42383 on: October 28, 2020, 02:55:52 PM »
Vlad,

“Exemplify”?   
Yes exemplify. When you make an assertion please exemplify. That isn't unreasonable is it?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #42384 on: October 28, 2020, 02:59:20 PM »
Vlad,

Yes exemplify. When you make an assertion please exemplify. That isn't unreasonable is it?

Evasion noted.

God

ippy

« Reply #42385 on: October 28, 2020, 04:33:22 PM »

Hillside has explained nothing. Please make your own answers please . When I want a supply of hillshit I will request it. Right now I am rather after Ipshit.

I have explained Vlad, it's all there your post was followed too by Blue explaining this to you for the umpteenth umpteenth time.

Have a think Vlad, not just you, anyone that asserts something, anything, for anyone to take an assertion seriously it'll need evidence that supports the said assertion.

I can assert all sorts of things and suggest they should be believed in Vlad, things like Leprechauns, Hob Goblins, Horoscopes, Gods Goddesses, only trouble with asserting things evidence is a requisite if we expect others to believe or take assertions seriously.

I almost forgot, Sriram's little man that 's had a blue Elephant's head transplant, I doubt even you're a believer in this one Vlad.

ippy   

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #42386 on: October 28, 2020, 05:53:06 PM »

I almost forgot, Sriram's little man that 's had a blue Elephant's head transplant, I doubt even you're a believer in this one Vlad.

ippy   
Why do you think I should believe it.....or not believe it?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #42387 on: October 28, 2020, 06:43:25 PM »
Vlad,

Why do you think I should believe it...

You shouldn’t, at least not unless reasoning or evidence can be found to justify the belief.

...or not believe it?

You should not believe it for exactly the same reason.

The same goes for your god too.

God

ippy

« Reply #42388 on: October 28, 2020, 07:47:58 PM »
Why do you think I should believe it.....or not believe it?

It's not so much about you should or shouldn't believe in Sriram's blue Elephant head man, it's more why not believe in this blue man, you believe in this god thingy idea of yours without any supporting evidence so why not believe in the blue head transplant man too, you might as well he's as likely to really exist as your god idea is likely to exist, why's one unfounded and daft idea OK and not the other daft idea, they're both as daft as each other?

ippy.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #42389 on: October 28, 2020, 08:12:49 PM »
It's not so much about you should or shouldn't believe in Sriram's blue Elephant head man, it's more why not believe in this blue man, you believe in this god thingy idea of yours without any supporting evidence so why not believe in the blue head transplant man too, you might as well he's as likely to really exist as your god idea is likely to exist, why's one unfounded and daft idea OK and not the other daft idea, they're both as daft as each other?

ippy.
There is no evidence for empiricism and yet here you are arguing from it.
You were brainwashed into it.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #42390 on: October 28, 2020, 08:35:55 PM »

There is plenty of evidence that using empirical evidence can distinguish probably true propositions about reality from just guessing. Until and unless you can come up with another methodology for doing the same job with regard to your claims, they are indistinguishable from guessing.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #42391 on: October 28, 2020, 09:54:13 PM »
There is plenty of evidence that using empirical evidence can distinguish probably true propositions about reality from just guessing.
None of which support empiricism from which he and you inevitably answer from.

Owlswing

« Reply #42392 on: October 29, 2020, 05:51:49 AM »

Because there is no verifiable proof that God exists, there IS proof that the Earth is not flat, so, until there is rock-solid verifiable proof of | God's existence they are equally unlikely to be true!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

torridon

« Reply #42393 on: October 29, 2020, 07:17:58 AM »

So you see no value in empiricism ? Is there a case for abandoning empiricism ?

Stranger

« Reply #42394 on: October 29, 2020, 07:24:46 AM »

As I said, and you edited out and ignored:  until and unless you can come up with another methodology for doing the same job with regard to your claims, they are indistinguishable from guessing. That doesn't change regardless of whether you accept empiricism in the philosophical sense, it's purely a matter of practicality.

ippy

« Reply #42395 on: October 29, 2020, 11:12:35 AM »

Haw about that Hindu multi armed woman then Vlad, why not believe in her as well?

ippy

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #42396 on: October 29, 2020, 11:19:48 AM »
Vlad,

You’ve had this nonsense falsified countless times. Why on earth are you repeating it now?

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #42397 on: October 29, 2020, 12:03:06 PM »
So you see no value in empiricism ? Is there a case for abandoning empiricism ?
Methodological empiricism fine, Philosophical empiricism? Where and what is the support for it?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #42398 on: October 29, 2020, 12:07:42 PM »
Because there is no verifiable proof that God exists, there IS proof that the Earth is not flat, so, until there is rock-solid verifiable proof of | God's existence they are equally unlikely to be true!
There is verifiable proof of a spheroidal world but no verifiable proof of God and can't be so there you go. The two are clearly in different categories.

Flat earth disproved
God not disproved

How did youpossibly come to link belief in God with belief in a flat earth apart from yours and Ippy's intellectual bone idleness?

Stranger

« Reply #42399 on: October 29, 2020, 12:34:41 PM »
Methodological empiricism fine, Philosophical empiricism? Where and what is the support for it?

Where is anybody arguing for it?