Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3749827 times)

bluehillside Retd.

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #48000 on: September 04, 2023, 11:30:40 AM »
SteveH,

47,998 comments, and you still haven't found God!  ::)

Maybe he's just brilliant at hide & seek? ; - )
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #48001 on: September 05, 2023, 08:47:51 AM »
SteveH,

Maybe he's just brilliant at hide & seek? ; - )
But I wonder whether the observed phenomena of Goddodging doesn’t raise the question of who’s hiding from whom.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48002 on: September 05, 2023, 09:32:20 AM »
Vlad,

But I wonder whether the observed phenomena of Goddodging doesn’t raise the question of who’s hiding from whom.

Except the charge of "Goddodging" is just an iteration of the begging the question fallacy. There is no such observed phenomenon. 

God

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #48003 on: September 05, 2023, 10:49:31 AM »
I have observed the phenomena of Every-god-except-the-one-that-I-happen-to-believe-in-including-the-possibility-of-no-god Dodging.
Who are those Dodgers hiding from I wonder?
Fear of the truth perhaps?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #48004 on: September 05, 2023, 11:59:46 AM »
AB,

As so often I see you’ve just ignored various of the corrections I gave you .....
I came to realise a long time ago that my main aim on this forum was not to win arguments, but to witness to the truth.  So I am very grateful to you Blue, (and others) for giving me so many opportunities to reply to your posts and discover new depths of reasoning which point to the abundant evidence of our own spiritual nature and the inability of material arguments to come anywhere close to explaining the reality and freedom we all enjoy as human beings.

So I would like to summarise some of the main deficiencies in the materialist arguments which you and others have put forward to try to justify their non belief.

The materialist view:
Everything is a consequence of physically defined material reactions.
Our conscious awareness somehow emerges from material reactions which will have already taken place before the results enter our conscious awareness.  So any intelligent driving force must be attributed to subconscious brain activity over which we can have no conscious control.  There can be no such thing as human free will, because every event in our material bodies will be an unavoidable consequence to previous events as we have no control over the past.  In every moment of our lives on this earth, we could not possibly have done or thought anything differently.

Any amount of the specific, often unfathomable complexity needed to develop and sustain the abundant life forms on this planet is attributed to random unguided forces involved in the inherently crude natural selection process postulated in the theory of evolution - which can have no identifiable aims.  The reasoning behind this is obvious - there can be no other explanation from a materialist point of view, so it must all be attributed to natural selection.

The incredibly fine tuning of the balance of forces and events needed to facilitate the formation and sustainability of the stars and planets in our universe, and the life forms on our planet is explained away as coincidence, or a multiverse theory in which we inhabit the one universe where all these things happen.

The materialist view looks to be on very shaky foundations, so instead of trying to think up reasons to not believe in God, why not try truly searching for God instead?  You may well be surprised.

I thank God that I do not live in such a dreadful environment.
I thank God that I have the freedom to think, to worship, to witness to the truth - for the truth really does set you free.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #48005 on: September 05, 2023, 12:11:49 PM »
Alan

The type of 'freedom' you think you have is, ironically, a consequence of beliefs that constrain your ability to reason - hence the fallacy-fest you've just posted.

Maeght

« Reply #48006 on: September 05, 2023, 12:46:39 PM »
I came to realise a long time ago that my main aim on this forum was not to win arguments, but to witness to the truth.  So I am very grateful to you Blue, (and others) for giving me so many opportunities to reply to your posts and discover new depths of reasoning which point to the abundant evidence of our own spiritual nature and the inability of material arguments to come anywhere close to explaining the reality and freedom we all enjoy as human beings.

So I would like to summarise some of the main deficiencies in the materialist arguments which you and others have put forward to try to justify their non belief.

The materialist view:
Our conscious awareness somehow emerges from material reactions which will have already taken place before the results enter our conscious awareness.  So any intelligent driving force must be attributed to subconscious brain activity over which we can have no conscious control.  There can be no such thing as human free will, because every event in our material bodies will be an unavoidable consequence to previous events as we have no control over the past.  In every moment of our lives on this earth, we could not possibly have done or thought anything differently.

Any amount of the specific, often unfathomable complexity needed to develop and sustain the abundant life forms on this planet is attributed to random unguided forces involved in the inherently crude natural selection process postulated in the theory of evolution - which can have no identifiable aims.  The reasoning behind this is obvious - there can be no other explanation from a materialist point of view, so it must all be attributed to natural selection.

The incredibly fine tuning of the balance of forces and events needed to facilitate the formation and sustainability of the stars and planets in our universe, and the life forms on our planet is explained away as coincidence, or a multiverse theory in which we inhabit the one universe where all these things happen.

The materialist view looks to be on very shaky foundations, so instead of trying to think up reasons to not believe in God, why not try truly searching for God instead?  You may well be surprised.

I thank God that I have the freedom to think, to worship, to witness to the truth - for the truth really does set you free.

No shaky foundations there. No deficiencies shown. Good job you aren't trying to win any arguments.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 12:49:49 PM by Maeght »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48007 on: September 05, 2023, 12:48:14 PM »
AB,

I came to realise a long time ago that my main aim on this forum was not to win arguments, but to witness to the truth.

But you can’t “witness to” something unless you can justify its existence in some way. What you actually do instead therefore is just to assert your beliefs, not "witness to" their (supposed) truth.

So I am very grateful to you Blue, (and others) for giving me so many opportunities to reply to your posts and discover new depths of reasoning which point to the abundant evidence of our own spiritual nature and the inability of material arguments to come anywhere close to explaining the reality and freedom we all enjoy as human beings.

Not only do you not have “new depths of reasoning” – you have no sound reasoning at all. Ignoring, disdaining or abusing the logic that falsifies you as you routinely do here invalidates a claim to such reasoning. 

Er, no. All that’s needed to “justify non-belief” in the claims you make is to identify where your attempts to justify them fail – a simple thing to do.

The materialist view:

Leaving aside for now open questions about “true” randomness and the quantum, that’s close enough to materialism to be serviceable. Try to remember still though that falsifying you needs only logically sound rebuttals of your attempted justifications, not an argument for materialism. 

Any amount of the specific, often unfathomable complexity needed to develop and sustain the abundant life forms on this planet is attributed to random unguided forces…

No. The mutation part may effectively be “random” but the interaction with environment part is anything but. “Forces” is wrong too – think of it as processes instead if that helps.

…involved in the inherently crude natural selection process postulated in the theory of evolution - which can have no identifiable aims.  The reasoning behind this is obvious - there can be no other explanation from a materialist point of view, so it must all be attributed to natural selection.

No, the “reasoning behind this” is that that’s what all the available evidence indicates. It’s also the reasoning behind accepting that germs cause diseases, that objects fall because of gravity etc.   

No, it’s “explained away” as a basic logical mistake on your part – essentially circular reasoning. I’ve corrected you on this before more than once but you just ignored the correction so I’m not sure there’d be much point in doing it again. Suffice it to say then that you’re still wrong about this.

The materialist view looks to be on very shaky foundations…

What “shaky foundations” do you think you’ve identified but not told us about? Just asserting that to be the case isn’t an argument.

, so instead of trying to think up reasons to not believe in God,…

I don’t do that. All I do is to identify where your arguments for there being a god are wrong – a simple thing to do. I must do this because if I abandoned reason and logic to accept your claims at face value I’d have no grounds not to accept any other faith claims with no sound arguments to justify them either.

…why not try truly searching for God instead?  You may well be surprised.

Which one?

I thank Ra for making enough sunshine to ripen my rhubarb.

Anyway and yet again:

1. Do you have a justifying argument for your assertion that brains thinking for themselves is “totally impossible” that doesn’t instead just shift the burden of proof by demanding that other people tell you how brains do that?

2. If you can finally provide a positive answer to 1., do you have an argument for your assertion that “souls” do the thinking instead that exempts these supposed souls from the same argument for total impossibility (ie, avoids the infinite regress problem) that’s not effectively “it’s magic innit”?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 06:47:34 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

torridon

« Reply #48008 on: September 05, 2023, 07:41:31 PM »

Already been there, done that, nothing happened.

Now older and wiser, I can see that if you go 'searching' for whatever, for some people this will just be an exercise in confimation bias, finding some or other reasons to justify what they want to believe.  On the other hand, if you take a steer from Rawls' veil of ignorance, laying no preconceived claim to what is true and what isn't, then you are more likely to derive a truer understanding of things.  As long as you remain knee deep in beliefs and bias you won't be able to see how illogical those beliefs are.

Enki

« Reply #48009 on: September 06, 2023, 11:00:08 AM »
I came to realise a long time ago that my main aim on this forum was not to win arguments, but to witness to the truth.  So I am very grateful to you Blue, (and others) for giving me so many opportunities ......etc.

Actually all you seem to do is simply  and repetitively state your faith rather than witnessing to any truth.

You should be grateful to Blue(and others) for demonstrating your lack of reasoning and for pointing out your total inability to produce any evidence for your spiritual take on things.

In contrast to your idea of 'shaky' foundations for a materialist view, the foundations for your view seem to be a mixture of incredulity, blind faith and constant assertions. I'd take the 'shaky' foundations(albeit, critically) any day rather than your unfounded beliefs.

As I have no reason to try to think up reasons not to believe in a god, and as I have already been through the process of searching, I still remain open to the possibility that a god exists. Unfortunately you have never given any reasoning or evidence that your God exists.

Luckily, I live in quite a pleasant environment. I have the freedom to think. I have no wish to worship anybody or anything and I take great pleasure in extending my knowledge of the natural world.

Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Alan Burns

« Reply #48010 on: September 06, 2023, 06:29:15 PM »
Actually all you seem to do is simply  and repetitively state your faith rather than witnessing to any truth.
You should be grateful to Blue(and others) for demonstrating your lack of reasoning and for pointing out your total inability to produce any evidence for your spiritual take on things.
In contrast to your idea of 'shaky' foundations for a materialist view, the foundations for your view seem to be a mixture of incredulity, blind faith and constant assertions. I'd take the 'shaky' foundations(albeit, critically) any day rather than your unfounded beliefs.
As I have no reason to try to think up reasons not to believe in a god, and as I have already been through the process of searching, I still remain open to the possibility that a god exists. Unfortunately you have never given any reasoning or evidence that your God exists.
Luckily, I live in quite a pleasant environment. I have the freedom to think. I have no wish to worship anybody or anything and I take great pleasure in extending my knowledge of the natural world.
I am not trying to guide people into faith.  Every person's journey in faith is personal and God is the best guide.

My intention is simply to identify the numerous false barriers which prevent many people from starting their journey in faith.  I just wish to help people over the first hurdle by pointing out that there is much more to life than physically determined chains of material reactions and making them aware of their own spiritual nature.

For example you claim you have freedom to think, but this freedom is denied by Bluehillside, Stranger and others who rightly claim that freedom to control our own thoughts must be a logical impossibility when you think about it.  But I have yet to get a feasible explanation for how such a conclusion can be reached and verified without having conscious control of our thought processes.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 06:34:27 PM by Alan Burns »
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #48011 on: September 06, 2023, 06:34:51 PM »
But I have yet to get a feasible explanation for how such a conclusion can be reached and verified without having conscious control of our thought processes.
Equally, almost everyone here to whom you are addressing have yet to see a feasible explanation for "soul" produced by yourself.
Therefore I can only assume that your cause here is a lost one.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48012 on: September 06, 2023, 07:16:10 PM »
AB,

I am not trying to guide people into faith.  Every person's journey in faith is personal and God is the best guide.

So you assert.

My intention is simply to identify the numerous false barriers which prevent many people from starting their journey in faith.

If you think there are “barriers” that are “false” then, finally, you need to explain why they’re false rather than just asset them to be so. Why is this difficult for you to understand?

I just wish to help people over the first hurdle by pointing out that there is much more to life than physically determined chains of material reactions and making them aware of their own spiritual nature.

But you’ve fallen at that “first hurdle” because you’ve relied here only on “what” claims and not on “why” arguments. If you seriously think there’s “much more to life than physically determined chains of material reactions” and that people have “their own spiritual nature” then why not try at least to justify these claims with arguments rather than just assert them to be so in the (apparently vain) hope that people here will just take your word for it? 

For example you claim you have freedom to think, but this freedom is denied by Bluehillside, Stranger and others who rightly claim that freedom to control our own thoughts must be a logical impossibility when you think about it.  But I have yet to get a feasible explanation for how such a conclusion can be reached and verified without having conscious control of our thought processes.

What you happen to find feasible or not tells us nothing about why the logically impossible explanation you attempt isn’t logically impossible after all.

Given how many times I and other have explained to you why this is why have you just repeated the same mistake you always make with no attempt at all to address the explanations you're given?

Does it ever occur to you that you could be wrong about everything your “faith” alone tells you to be true?

If not, it should. It really should.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 07:18:13 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Enki

« Reply #48013 on: September 06, 2023, 07:36:56 PM »

So, not exactly unbiased then. ;D

My intention is simply to identify the numerous false barriers which prevent many people from starting their journey in faith.  I just wish to help people over the first hurdle by pointing out that there is much more to life than physically determined chains of material reactions and making them aware of their own spiritual nature.

Yet more empty assertions.

Why should I be surprised that you have completely(possibly deliberately) misunderstood my use of 'freedom' here? Of course I have the freedom to choose because I live in an environment that allows me far ranging freedoms. That is one reason why it is pleasant. Nobody is particularly limiting that freedom, but my choices still have to be for reasons or they are random. Hence they are ultimately deterministic.  I don't see that that is very much different to Blue's take on it.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Alan Burns

« Reply #48014 on: September 06, 2023, 08:06:50 PM »
Why should I be surprised that you have completely(possibly deliberately) misunderstood my use of 'freedom' here? Of course I have the freedom to choose because I live in an environment that allows me far ranging freedoms. That is one reason why it is pleasant. Nobody is particularly limiting that freedom, but my choices still have to be for reasons or they are random. Hence they are ultimately deterministic.  I don't see that that is very much different to Blue's take on it.
My concept of freedom is far away from yours - there can be no freedom to guide the outcome of physically determined chains of reaction.
Of course my choices are determined - by me, not the chains of uncontrollable events starting with the Big Bang.

torridon

« Reply #48015 on: September 06, 2023, 10:07:26 PM »
My concept of freedom is far away from yours - there can be no freedom to guide the outcome of physically determined chains of reaction.
Of course my choices are determined - by me, not the chains of uncontrollable events starting with the Big Bang.

But 'you' are a product of just those 'uncontrollable' forces.  For instance, here you are on this messageboard, proselytising for your beliefs.  But if you'd been born in Islamabad, you'd have been proselytising for Islamic beliefs.  If you'd been born in Madras, you'd probably be a devotee of Shiva or Ganesh, wittering on about reincarmnation and karma. You didn't have any control over the events that led you to here, arguing with atheists about free will or the mysteries of consciousness.  These behaviours are a consequence of the events that led to them.

Alan Burns

« Reply #48016 on: September 07, 2023, 07:57:23 AM »
But 'you' are a product of just those 'uncontrollable' forces.  For instance, here you are on this messageboard, proselytising for your beliefs.  But if you'd been born in Islamabad, you'd have been proselytising for Islamic beliefs.  If you'd been born in Madras, you'd probably be a devotee of Shiva or Ganesh, wittering on about reincarmnation and karma. You didn't have any control over the events that led you to here, arguing with atheists about free will or the mysteries of consciousness.  These behaviours are a consequence of the events that led to them.
You talk as if I could not possibly have chosen any other way, yet most of my peer group who had very similar upbringing to me have chosen different paths.  We are not automated biological robots.  We are all unique with the freedom to choose our own destiny.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 08:31:47 AM by Alan Burns »

ekim

« Reply #48017 on: September 07, 2023, 08:50:59 AM »
You talk as if I could not possibly have chosen any other way, yet most of my peer group who had very similar upbringing to me have chosen different paths.  We are not automated biological robots.  We are all unique with the freedom to choose our own destiny.
I don't think anybody is denying the ability to choose a particular path.  If you want to claim that the  choice is from a position of freedom then you will need to show that it is not driven by a desire for a particular outcome or the avoidance of a particular outcome. The Jesus choice was to let his God decide but then he was not free from the Will of his God, but he was free from his own personal desire.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48018 on: September 07, 2023, 10:24:53 AM »
AB,

In Reply 48007 I corrected for you the previous suite of mistakes you’d made which, predictably, you’ve just ignored. Then I read John Crace in The Guardian yesterday talking about Rishi Sunak’s backbenchers and I thought of you:

A state of denial is the only way they can preserve their sanity. Better the safety of a collective fantasy than the reality of annihilation.”

The seems to me to ecapsulate quite well where you’ve placed yourself – your avoidance of the arguments that undo you is the “state of denial”, but it’s necessary for you to protect your sense of sanity because the alternative is unthinkable to you. It just cannot be that the faith beliefs in which you’re so invested are nonsense, so anything that shows your reasoning for them to be wrong has to be ignored or rejected out of hand.       

Your problem here isn’t the “false” barriers to others joining you in your faith beliefs; it’s the logically sound barriers that you must run away from. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 10:59:13 AM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #48019 on: September 07, 2023, 12:28:27 PM »
AB,

In Reply 48007 I corrected for you the previous suite of mistakes you’d made which, predictably, you’ve just ignored. Then I read John Crace in The Guardian yesterday talking about Rishi Sunak’s backbenchers and I thought of you:

A state of denial is the only way they can preserve their sanity. Better the safety of a collective fantasy than the reality of annihilation.”

The seems to me to ecapsulate quite well where you’ve placed yourself – your avoidance of the arguments that undo you is the “state of denial”, but it’s necessary for you to protect your sense of sanity because the alternative is unthinkable to you. It just cannot be that the faith beliefs in which you’re so invested are nonsense, so anything that shows your reasoning for them to be wrong has to be ignored or rejected out of hand.       

Your problem here isn’t the “false” barriers to others joining you in your faith beliefs; it’s the logically sound barriers that you must run away from.
Thanks Hillside for providing a very apposite description of Goddodging behaviour.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48020 on: September 07, 2023, 12:33:03 PM »
Vlad,

Thanks Hillside for providing a very apposite description of Goddodging behaviour.

Except "Goddodging" is just an iteration the begging the question fallacy for the reasons you always run away from.

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #48021 on: September 07, 2023, 03:02:09 PM »
Vlad,

Except "Goddodging" is just an iteration the begging the question fallacy.
Except that it isn’t, is it? It is a range of observed behaviours(which you have already described in pat), psychologies and attitudes and therefore do not depend on any assertion that God is real or not.
Goddodging ranges from the well documented phenomenon of Theophobia in which avoidance of religion is observed, through to statements such as freedom of religion and freedom from religion, through to avoiding analogies between religious behaviour and evangelical atheistic behaviour, promoting or accepting any wild theories, eternal things, popping out of nothings, circular hierarchies of causation etc. As long as no god is involved through to believers who believe they have resisted
God’s call...all of these behaviours are not dependent on any assumption of the existence of God.

Goddodging no more begs the question than John Gray’s observation that atheists often find Gods substitutes....which I think we should turn to very soon.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48022 on: September 07, 2023, 03:10:59 PM »
Vlad,

Except that it isn’t, is it?

Yes it is.

It is a range of observed behaviours(which you have already described in pat), psychologies and attitudes and therefore do not depend on any assertion that God is real or not.

No it isn’t.

Goddodging ranges from the well documented phenomenon of Theophobia in which avoidance of religion is observed, through to statements such as freedom of religion and freedom from religion, through to avoiding analogies between religious behaviour and evangelical atheistic behaviour, promoting or accepting any wild theories, eternal things, popping out of nothings, circular hierarchies of causation etc. As long as no god is involved through to believers who believe they have resisted
God’s call...all of these behaviours are not dependent on any assumption of the existence of God.

No it doesn’t.

Goddodging no more begs the question than John Gray’s observation that atheists often find Gods substitutes....which I think we should turn to very soon.

Yes “Goddodging” is begging the question. To legitimise that accusation you’d have to do two things:

1. Establish your premise “god”; and

2. Demonstrate that other people accepted your premise, but were choosing to “dodge” it.

You’ve done neither. That’s why your charge of “goddodging” is epistemically no more valid than my charge of “leprechaundodging”. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 03:32:13 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Outrider

« Reply #48023 on: September 07, 2023, 03:16:33 PM »
Except that it isn’t, is it? It is a range of observed behaviours(which you have already described in pat), psychologies and attitudes and therefore do not depend on any assertion that God is real or not.

Not really. You can't be accused of 'god-dodging' in the absence of some sort of claim that there is a god. We don't have accusations of 'blig-dodging'.

Goddodging ranges from the well documented phenomenon of Theophobia

'Well-documented' where? Mirrian-Webster's response to 'Theophobia' is not a fear of religion, but the religious sentiment of a fear of the wrath of god.

Wikipedia, in response to a query of 'god dodging' brings up the computer game God of War and an enquiry if you mean 'god downing'.

in which avoidance of religion is observed,

My avoidance of religion started from boredom and extended into habit. There's no fear there, except perhaps the fear of pissing away otherwise useful Sunday mornings.

through to statements such as freedom of religion and freedom from religion,

The implication of a phobia is not just that there is fear, but that the fear is irrational. In religiously-dominated, theocratic shit-holes like Afghanistan or Texas is that fear really irrational?

through to avoiding analogies between religious behaviour and evangelical atheistic behaviour,

You'll have to show evidence of atheists rocking up on people's doorsteps to expound their pet theories to suggest that those analogies aren't misplaced.

promoting or accepting any wild theories, eternal things, popping out of nothings, circular hierarchies of causation etc.

That you either don't like, don't accept, don't understand, or some combination of all three various arguments doesn't make them 'god-dodging' - they're just people having a different opinion to you.

As long as no god is involved through to believers who believe they have resisted

Believers of what? You appear to, still, be mistaking who is making a claim and who is merely rejecting it.

No, they're depended upon the existence of religion - it's the religion that's the problem, god (if it exists) appears intent on leaving us alone these days.

Goddodging no more begs the question than John Gray’s observation that atheists often find Gods substitutes....

Gray's observation is the atheists find substitutes to the claims of god, not to god (that would be begging the question, itself). That's not to say whether he's right or wrong, just that you're misrepresenting/misunderstanding his claim.

which I think we should turn to very soon.

Joy of joys...

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Alan Burns

« Reply #48024 on: September 07, 2023, 04:43:47 PM »

It just cannot be that the faith beliefs in which you’re so invested are nonsense, so anything that shows your reasoning for them to be wrong has to be ignored or rejected out of hand.       

Nothing on this forum has come anywhere near to show that my beliefs are nonsense or to show that my reasoning should be rejected out of hand.

Indeed, my faith is considerably enhanced by the so called arguments which try to convince me that I have no conscious control of my own thoughts!