Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3758364 times)

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #9525 on: February 03, 2016, 03:58:24 PM »
AB,

It's not the cracks in the pavement that matters, but rather that it's an example of a logical fallacy - one that you've used often in the past by the way.

I have never once mentioned cracks in the pavement
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Shaker

« Reply #9526 on: February 03, 2016, 04:00:11 PM »
Dear me.

Are you actually capable of reading or of even following an argument at all?  Bluey said:

Quote from: bluehillside
... it's an example of a logical fallacy - one that you've used often in the past by the way.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #9527 on: February 03, 2016, 04:01:32 PM »

Now you are being concrete, Alan.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #9528 on: February 03, 2016, 04:01:48 PM »
AB,

You said:

In response to my:

It's not the cracks in the pavement that matters, but rather that it's an example of a logical fallacy - one that you've used often in the past by the way.

See whether you can work out where you went wrong there without me holding your hand.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

BeRational

« Reply #9529 on: February 03, 2016, 04:03:51 PM »

I think this shows he is dim.

We have 10 watt light bulb here!
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Alan Burns

« Reply #9530 on: February 03, 2016, 04:05:42 PM »
AB,

You said:

In response to my:

See whether you can work out where you went wrong there without me holding your hand.
OK - sorry for mis reading your post.

But I still can't relate any of my logical arguments to the fallacy of the example you quote.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #9531 on: February 03, 2016, 04:05:45 PM »
BR,

Can't be - he has a "Doctorate of Philosophy"!

God

BeRational

« Reply #9532 on: February 03, 2016, 04:07:28 PM »
BR,

Can't be - he has a "Doctorate of Philosophy"!

I find that really hard to believe, sorry, I just cannot see it.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #9533 on: February 03, 2016, 04:10:44 PM »
AB,

But I still can't relate any of my logical arguments to the fallacy of the example you quote.

It's the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, and weren't you the one telling us about your wife running late for church, the organist coming down with a bad case of the bunions etc? (I'm a little hazy on the details.)

Anyways, how often you've used each fallacious argument is a secondary matter. The primary one is that you rely on them at all - a lot in fact - and that until you realise that and try different arguments then no "higher level of discussion" is possible.

Do you grasp this now?   
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 04:19:07 PM by bluehillside »

God

torridon

« Reply #9534 on: February 03, 2016, 04:37:24 PM »
The scenario you describe is truly awe inspiring.  Can you not see that the progress the human race is making - discoveries, achievements, breakthroughs and skills - these are totally meaningless in the natural deterministic world view.  If a meteorite crashes into this earth, obliterating all life, everything we currently strive for will be rendered meaningless - just a blip in the natural deterministic path of this universe heading for total inevitable oblivion.  My perception of life on this earth is evidence of a creative force driven my unimaginable intelligence towards the goals you rightly perceive.

Eerm, yet another logical fallacy I'm afraid Alan.  This one is known as argumentum ad consequentiam, or appeal to consequences. Because we don't like the consequences or the implications of something is not an argument against it. Better to face reality head on.

Alan Burns

« Reply #9535 on: February 03, 2016, 04:40:38 PM »
AB,

It's the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, and weren't you the one telling us about your wife running late for church, the organist coming down with a bad case of the bunions etc? (I'm a little hazy on the details.)

Anyways, how often you've used each fallacious argument is a secondary matter. The primary one is that you rely on them at all - a lot in fact - and that until you realise that and try different arguments then no "higher level of discussion" is possible.

Do you grasp this now?
Would it not be much easier to simply point out the error or ambiguity directly instead of quoting latin phrases and giving unrelated examples?

Shaker

« Reply #9536 on: February 03, 2016, 04:46:48 PM »
Would it not be much easier to simply point out the error or ambiguity directly instead of quoting latin phrases and giving unrelated examples?
Why? Are you saying that that would actually work?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #9537 on: February 03, 2016, 04:50:58 PM »
AB,

I have done - lots and lots and lots and lots of times, only you just ignore it when I do and then repeat the mistake(s).

When then would be the point of continuing to tell you where you'd gone off the rails? Better I'd hope to have you grasp what logical fallacies are so as to avoid them in future - teach a man to fish and all that...

God

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #9538 on: February 03, 2016, 04:51:28 PM »
This isn't rocket science, Alan. Perhaps this would help.

http://www.logicalfallacies.info/

wigginhall

« Reply #9539 on: February 03, 2016, 05:31:01 PM »
Because you have never posted anything which points to the existence of the Biblical deity, that is why! ::)

Yes, it's quite bizarre really, that AB's God is so elusive.   Well, you might get a glimpse of him in the soul, but hang on, where's that?  Or you might connect him with consciousness, or if you squint very hard, you might see a shadow out of the corner of your eye, or if you pray very hard, something might go bump in the night.   People might think that Alan is kidding them!
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Alan Burns

« Reply #9540 on: February 03, 2016, 07:06:10 PM »

Would you like to see my newspaper cuttings?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/135283340@N03/albums/72157661943553813
but that was back in the 1970s
Perhaps senility is setting in :(

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #9541 on: February 03, 2016, 07:17:16 PM »
AB,

Would you like to see my newspaper cuttings?

If they're from that court case about the unfortunate misunderstanding involving you, the goat, the whipped cream and the set of jump leads, then yes please.

If they're about you PhD though, no thanks: a qualification in an entirely unrelated subject would tell us nothing about you ability to reason your way to a conclusion in this one.

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #9542 on: February 03, 2016, 07:26:33 PM »
AB,

Just to re visit this example.
I was not implying a miracle, just that it was a strange coincidence - one of many in my lifetime which I feel points to the influence of the Holy Spirit guiding our lives.

to re cap:
A lady was being received into the church at one of our mid week services.  Her sponsor had to cancel at the last minute, so the lady asked if my wife would act as sponsor during the ceremony.  Neither the lady in question nor the priest knew if we would be attending the service with it being mid week. (We normally attend on sundays, and very occasionally mid week).   There was no time for the priest or the lady to contact us, so this normally very punctual priest held up the service until we arrived 5 minutes late. 

The strange thing is that my wife and I had not intended to go until we felt a last minute urge, even though we knew we would be late.  And how on earth did the priest know we were coming?

I do not think I fully explained this in my original post, but I do not see any correlation with the cracks in the pavement example.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #9543 on: February 03, 2016, 07:54:48 PM »
AB,

Why? The charge sheet against you of logical fallacies is long enough without troubling too much over just one instance of it. Have it your own way though…

I was not implying a miracle, just that it was a strange coincidence - one of many in my lifetime which I feel points to the influence of the Holy Spirit guiding our lives.

That’s because you don’t understand randomness. Everything you experience is fantastically unlikely – dealing a pack of cards and obtaining a specific sequence gives you an astonishingly unlikely outcome – 52 factorial in fact (or 1 in 80,658,175,170,943,878,571,660,636,856,403,766,975,289,505,440,883,277,824,000,000,000,000) yet people deal cards and obtain these unlikely outcomes all the time. Or consider buying your newspaper this morning from that nice Mr Patel at the corner shop – have you any inkling of the fantastic unlikelihood of the countless events that had to have occurred for that event to have happened?

Sometimes though we attach significance to certain events after they have happened – what are the chances of bumping into Fred after 30 years? etc – when in fact we’ve bumped into countless people but we focus just on one of them, and moreover we ignore the no shows of all the other people we haven’t seen for decades (the “silent evidence” error). 

So to your story:

to re cap:

A lady was being received into the church at one of our mid week services.  Her sponsor had to cancel at the last minute, so the lady asked if my wife would act as sponsor during the ceremony.  Neither the lady in question nor the priest knew if we would be attending the service with it being mid week. (We normally attend on sundays, and very occasionally mid week).   There was no time for the priest or the lady to contact us, so this normally very punctual priest held up the service until we arrived 5 minutes late. 

The strange thing is that my wife and I had not intended to go until we felt a last minute urge, even though we knew we would be late.  And how on earth did the priest know we were coming?

Maybe he didn’t, any more than Mr Patel knew you were coming. This lady might though have told him she’d asked your wife, he might have guessed at it because he knew that they knew each other, he may just have been waiting for anyone to show up, it may have been dumb luck, maybe, maybe, maybe…

Simply assuming that because you showed up a god must have caused it though is just bad reasoning.   

I do not think I fully explained this in my original post, but I do not see any correlation with the cracks in the pavement example.

See above. That the original sponsor cancelled does not imply that her cancellation was causal of your showing up – just that one event followed the other. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:05:23 PM by bluehillside »

God

ippy

« Reply #9544 on: February 03, 2016, 07:58:08 PM »

to re cap:

Where you have said:

"I do not think I fully explained this in my original post, but I do not see any correlation with the cracks in the pavement example".

It can only be for one of two reasons you say the above Alan, you're either mega intransigent or pitifully thick.

ippy

Enki

« Reply #9545 on: February 03, 2016, 08:10:43 PM »
I was just pointing out that it is not easy being a Christian.  We are called to take up our cross and follow Jesus.  But it is what life is all about.  It is the ultimate fulfilment of our life on this earth.

I already know you feel like that, Alan, but so what! There are many people of many different beliefs who find it just as hard(if not harder) to adhere to their beliefs, just as some find it easy to do so. Furthermore this says nothing about whether any of these beliefs are true in any way.

I know that this is what you think life is all about, and you feel fulfilled by your beliefs. No one is questioning this at all. The problems arise when you try to convince others that your beliefs are the ones which others should also accept. Your idea of convincing others seems to be by way of assertions which ultimately rely on your own personal incredulity. I suggest that such tactics seem to be failing, and that the only sound alternative you have is to give evidenced, reasoned and logical arguments, taking on board any sensible challenges and rebuttals, and then giving further reasoned discussion on the merits of your case which may entail modifying your views.

Unfortunately I can't see this happening, but there it is.

Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

savillerow

« Reply #9546 on: February 04, 2016, 01:02:57 AM »
AB Your whole approach is starting to sound like HAL the computer.
i know this is hard for theists to agree with but . . . .we are flying this planet.

Alan Burns

« Reply #9547 on: February 04, 2016, 07:15:49 AM »

That’s because you don’t understand randomness. Everything you experience is fantastically unlikely – dealing a pack of cards and obtaining a specific sequence gives you an astonishingly unlikely outcome – 52 factorial in fact (or 1 in 80,658,175,170,943,878,571,660,636,856,403,766,975,289,505,440,883,277,824,000,000,000,000)
So what evidence would you accept for God's existence?

Shaker

« Reply #9548 on: February 04, 2016, 07:36:59 AM »
AB Your whole approach is starting to sound like HAL the computer.
... particularly towards the 'Daisy, Daisy' bit.

Bubbles

« Reply #9549 on: February 04, 2016, 07:42:47 AM »
Where you have said:

"I do not think I fully explained this in my original post, but I do not see any correlation with the cracks in the pavement example".

It can only be for one of two reasons you say the above Alan, you're either mega intransigent or pitifully thick.

ippy

Or Alan experiences things in a different way.

Or he can see something you appear blind too.

Rather than cracks in the pavement, It's more like Alan is trying to explain what red  is like, to a colour blind man. ( I have experience of that)

He can only tell you what he sees, you can get as angry as you like, and deny his experiences or that red even exists ............. Or that he can see it.

But he can still see it.

My father is colour blind ( one bright red sock, one obviously green he thinks they are a pair) he used to deny it and hated to admit he couldn't see the difference ( but he still had to ask if he wanted to know if the socks matched)

Would never admit it though, used to get angry.

Couldn't see the red berries on a holly tree, completely crap at decorating. Childhood memory ... He  once painted the flagstone ( brick)  floor blood red ( instead of brick red) looked like a massacre. Mother hysterical, he insisted it was brick red. Total bloodbath.
 :o

Alan in effect is describing a red sock to a colourblind man.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:50:10 AM by Rose »