Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3757341 times)

torridon

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #9875 on: February 19, 2016, 11:50:42 AM »
I was struck by the phrase "self-deification" used in the Lenten reflection quoted in #10248.  I see this as one of the major tools used by the devil to destroy our faith.  It is so often used as in ....

In these examples the devil is tempting us to assume that our way of thinking is superior to God's.  So instead of using our God given gifts of intelligence and intellect for good in the way God intended, the devil tempts us to mis-use them, along with other God given gifts, to destroy out faith

Have you got a method for identifying errant thoughts that result from the Devil's intervention from those that arise through natural human error ?

wigginhall

« Reply #9876 on: February 19, 2016, 11:54:59 AM »
Have you got a method for identifying errant thoughts that result from the Devil's intervention from those that arise through natural human error ?

That seems a deadly question, rather similar to, 'how would you know you are wrong?'.   I guess Alan feels the devil in his water.   Or maybe, 'by the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes'.   But I get that feeling with my ma-in-law.
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9877 on: February 19, 2016, 11:56:20 AM »
I was struck by the phrase "self-deification" used in the Lenten reflection quoted in #10248.  I see this as one of the major tools used by the devil to destroy our faith.  It is so often used as in:
If I were God I would not allow ....
A good God would never do things this way ....
If God loves us, He will save us no matter what we do ...
God should not have created the devil ...
God would surely intervene to prevent this ....

In these examples the devil is tempting us to assume that our way of thinking is superior to God's.  So instead of using our God given gifts of intelligence and intellect for good in the way God intended, the devil tempts us to mis-use them, along with other God given gifts, to destroy out faith

'Stop asking questions I have no answer to. It's the devil making it  hard for me to answer the questions. Knowledge is bad just have faith if a question occurs, that I can't answer then you know that was Satan poking his cock of knowledge into your brain'

Couldn't you perhaps pray to your god to get answers to these questions that it seems anyone can get with a quick chat with Satan? He could even set up a Web page 'Answers in God' or 'godbites', perhaps 'whySatansmellsofpooandwee'.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #9878 on: February 19, 2016, 12:18:50 PM »
I suppose my main method of discernment in such things is, in the words of Jesus, "You will know them by their fruits". Matthew 7:16

I know Jesus was refering to false prophets in this quote, but I feel it can also apply to false ways of thinking.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9879 on: February 19, 2016, 12:20:57 PM »
I suppose my main method of discernment in such things is, in the words of Jesus, "You will know them by their fruits". Matthew 7:16

I know Jesus was refering to false prophets in this quote, but I feel it can also apply to false ways of thinking.

So if the fruit is a question you can't answer, then it is from Satan? Holy (wholly) circle argument, Batman!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 12:25:30 PM by Nearly Sane »

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #9880 on: February 19, 2016, 12:25:24 PM »
I was struck by the phrase "self-deification" used in the Lenten reflection quoted in #10248.  I see this as one of the major tools used by the devil to destroy our faith.  It is so often used as in:

How do you distinguish any act as 'good in the way God intended' as opposed to the same act being the devil tempting you to assume that your way of acting is what God intended?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9881 on: February 19, 2016, 12:30:18 PM »
How do you distinguish any act as 'good in the way God intended' as opposed to the same act being the devil tempting you to assume that your way of acting is what God intended?

Cos Alan knows fruit

Alan Burns

« Reply #9882 on: February 19, 2016, 12:32:19 PM »
So if the fruit is a question you can't answer. Then it I from Satan? Holy (wholly) circle argument, Batman!
No, it is not a case of questions we can't answer, but our capacity of trusting human intellect alone to provide all the answers.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

wigginhall

« Reply #9883 on: February 19, 2016, 12:33:17 PM »
Yes, it's a nice example of circular thinking, if you like that sort of thing.   Pigs are rightly called, as they are so piggish.
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Shaker

« Reply #9884 on: February 19, 2016, 12:34:38 PM »
No, it is not a case of questions we can't answer, but our capacity of trusting human intellect alone to provide all the answers.
Not all the answers Alan - any answers, since there's no evidence of anything else that can do the job.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 12:50:13 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Enki

« Reply #9885 on: February 19, 2016, 12:35:11 PM »

I have to assume here that you are talking about those people who have similar beliefs to your own. I find it interesting that you think that such people might think that their thinking is superior to your God's thinking, and that they can be tempted by your devil so easily.

Luckily I have no desire or reason to make/see myself the centre of the universe. Also, the idea that I would wish to be a servant of any claimed god/devil is rather a meaningless statement as far as I am concerned, as I do not have any belief in such entities whatsoever. Hence the idea that this so called devil can tempt me to destroy my faith is not applicable in my case.

I wish you luck in finding your own way out of the dichotomy you find yourself in.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #9886 on: February 19, 2016, 12:37:53 PM »
Cos Alan knows fruit

..does that make him a Costermonger?  :-\
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9887 on: February 19, 2016, 12:40:21 PM »

I don't, I don't know anyone who does and that is the second time you have trotted out that straw man? If I am to know what is Satan inspired by fruits, then surely a continued misrepresentation would be one, in which case stop bringing Satanic statements to the board, Alan.

Alan Burns

« Reply #9888 on: February 19, 2016, 12:43:04 PM »
Human intellect is all we have to rely on!
But my intellect tells me that there must be something greater than human intellect.

Shaker

« Reply #9889 on: February 19, 2016, 12:44:14 PM »
But my intellect tells me that there must be something greater than human intellect.
Not your intellect, but your emotions, I would say. My intellect tells me that there's no other tool which we know of capable of asking and more importantly answering any questions we might ask of reality. Checkmate.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Alan Burns

« Reply #9890 on: February 19, 2016, 12:52:45 PM »
Not your intellect, but your emotions, I would say. My intellect tells me that there's no other tool which we know of capable of asking and more importantly answering any questions we might ask of reality. Checkmate.
But what is the ultimate driving force behind your intellect?
I perceive that it is my conscious free will, not uncontrolled deterministic chemical activity.
And what drives my conscious free will?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9891 on: February 19, 2016, 12:52:52 PM »

How does it do that? Is this another little man in your head? Is it a version of Numbskulls where the Intellect which has a huge tefal head which keeps bumping into the doors in the different rooms, runs into the Soul room, bumps head goes 'ow!! There is something greater than me', runs out, bumps head. Soul then goes 'cool! and lights a Camberwell carrot (by their fruit and veg, ye shall know them) and begins to contemplate if in Soul's head a even tinier Intellect has bumped into a door and announced there is something greater, and a tiny Soul is spliffing away thinking about an even tinier Intellect.....
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 12:56:20 PM by Nearly Sane »

Shaker

« Reply #9892 on: February 19, 2016, 12:54:52 PM »
I perceive that it is my conscious free will, not uncontrolled deterministic chemical activity.
No idea. I'm not into filling gaps with any old bilge, however.

torridon

« Reply #9893 on: February 19, 2016, 12:54:59 PM »

That's a non-answer, you know.

What method do you use to discern whether your assessment of 'their fruits' is in fact correct, or is it false due to a supernatural intervention in your assessment courtesy of the devil, or perhaps you just got it wrong through plain old human error ?

Alan Burns

« Reply #9894 on: February 19, 2016, 12:55:46 PM »
How does it do that?
Precisely - that is the big question!

Shaker

« Reply #9895 on: February 19, 2016, 12:57:18 PM »
Exactly Alan; it's one of those things that you hate above all else - a question currently without an answer. That explanatory gap is what allows you to plug it with nonsense such as devils and whatnot, but that's clearly because you're simply terrified of saying "I don't know."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9896 on: February 19, 2016, 01:01:18 PM »

Is it? I thought the big question for you was what is consciousness and you answer that with Soul, which you represent as not just intellect. Intelkect, which in your previous answer you had verified  into another ghost in the machine as if it were separate. That seems to mean that your approach is hopelessly confused as it creates multiple entities which I indicated in my light hearted jaunt showing the issues of your approach, which you have ignored to quote mine the question from.

torridon

« Reply #9897 on: February 19, 2016, 01:03:33 PM »

What is the driving force behind your intellect ?  How about curiosity ?  Maybe it is the need to figure things out that underwrites intellect and the need to figure things out in turn is driven by a need to stay alive and prosper.  Free-will is irrelevant to intellect.

Alan Burns

« Reply #9898 on: February 19, 2016, 01:06:41 PM »
Exactly Alan; it's one of those things that you hate above all else - a question currently without an answer. That explanatory gap is what allows you to plug it with nonsense such as devils and whatnot, but that's clearly because you're simply terrified of saying "I don't know."
To say "I don't know" to the question of what sources our free conscious thought is an easy cop out for non believers.
Would it not be closer to the truth to concede that it is not possible to generate conscious free thoughts purely from deterministic chemical activity?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9899 on: February 19, 2016, 01:07:00 PM »
Btw what does something being 'greater than human intellect' mean? What measurement of 'greatness' applies? How would you compare an abstract idea in this sense to other abstracts and non abstracts?

Your allowed to pray a friend/angel/deity here, Alan, and see if you can get an explanation of why what you are stating isn't the best mince.