Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3757747 times)

Leonard James

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #9975 on: February 21, 2016, 12:40:25 PM »
If that was true according to your history you would still be a believer and would understand the bible which you don't.
So epic fail there.
Nothing was mainstream about Christianity when you were young. As your choices in life have proven.
No fear and no belief. So fear, repetition and the bible does not make anyone from a child a Christian then or in adulthood.

How little you know about people, Sass!

I am astonished that you have got to your age and still be so unaware of what your fellow beings think and feel. It is the sad result of the conditioning of juveniles who don't have the mental ability to resist it.

ippy

« Reply #9976 on: February 21, 2016, 06:35:15 PM »
I wonder what the poll would be about anyone taking your posts seriously.
You would win hands down. No one takes your posts really seriously. They all know your knowledge is half baked and soggy in the middle when it comes to Christ and the God of Christianity...

;)

Sass, like all of your fellow christians, you haven't yet and can't establish that your bible is anything more than a load of aincient bronze age stories full of magical, mythical and superstitious man made nonsense.

You seem unable to get it Sass, that untill you can establish the above as factual and by the way, ( assertions don't count), why would this book of yours be anymore of interest than say Hans Christian Andersons books or any more factual?

ippy

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #9977 on: February 21, 2016, 07:38:09 PM »
But it is you, yourself, that is evidence that self awareness exists.  It is you, not a pink unicorn, which perceives scientific theory. 

....but not if the invisible pink unicorn is you, only you are unable to discern that!
Can you prove that is not the case?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
« Reply #9978 on: February 21, 2016, 08:06:53 PM »
I exist.
I perceive.
I know I have no connections with pink unicorns.
And I use my free will to post this reply.

I exist.
I perceive.
I know I have no little man pulling strings in my brain.
And I use my keyboard to post this reply.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #9979 on: February 21, 2016, 10:15:14 PM »
I exist.
I perceive.
I know I have no connections with pink unicorns.
And I use my free will to post this reply.
You exist and the pink unicorn exists.
The little pink unicorn perceives for you.
It hides itself from you. That is why you believe that you have no connection to pink unicorns.
The pink unicorn uses it's will to post your reply though your body.

You have not proved that the above is not correct.

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #9980 on: February 21, 2016, 10:43:13 PM »
You exist and the pink unicorn exists.
The little pink unicorn perceives for you.
It hides itself from you. That is why you believe that you have no connection to pink unicorns.
The pink unicorn uses it's will to post your reply though your body.

You have not proved that the above is not correct.
So you can talk yourself out of existence by denying that you have a soul and allowing yourself to become just part of the material continuum of this universe driven by the deterministic rules of science.

But I believe that you (your soul) does exist!
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #9981 on: February 22, 2016, 01:12:34 AM »
So you can talk yourself out of existence by denying that you have a soul and allowing yourself to become just part of the material continuum of this universe driven by the deterministic rules of science.

So, you cannot disprove the pink unicorn then? Thought not!

You can believe what you want but don't try to will it into existence by your repeated 'science cannot disprove the soul', mantra.
It belies your intelligence.
Albert Einstein

Sassy

« Reply #9982 on: February 22, 2016, 02:35:08 AM »
How little you know about people, Sass!

I am astonished that you have got to your age and still be so unaware of what your fellow beings think and feel. It is the sad result of the conditioning of juveniles who don't have the mental ability to resist it.

Really must be getting to you, Leonard.
You suddenly seeing you missed something and showing now that in reality you are no different to any other atheist.
You are losing and now turn to unfounded insult and sarcasm.

As you are the evidence... no matter how young you cannot force feed the truth about Christ.
Man and atheist may have tried to push their beliefs onto others by whatever means human. But God and Christ have never done that.  It is sad you feel so hard pushed. :(
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

torridon

« Reply #9983 on: February 22, 2016, 06:43:09 AM »

We know that is your belief.  But like so many beliefs in this world, there is no reason to suppose it is true.

SusanDoris

« Reply #9984 on: February 22, 2016, 06:43:57 AM »
I think the page linked to here, which I have picked up on the GH forum  this morning,  is an interesting  aspect of this thread. I have listened to it all the way through and think it should be read by all religious leaders! :D

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2016/02/21/meet-the-united-church-minister-who-came-out-as-an-atheist.html
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Leonard James

« Reply #9985 on: February 22, 2016, 06:49:58 AM »
I think the page linked to here, which I have picked up on the GH forum  this morning,  is an interesting  aspect of this thread. I have listened to it all the way through and think it should be read by all religious leaders! :D

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2016/02/21/meet-the-united-church-minister-who-came-out-as-an-atheist.html

What a very sensible lady!

ippy

« Reply #9986 on: February 22, 2016, 06:50:18 AM »
You suddenly seeing you missed something and showing now that in reality you are no different to any other atheist.

As you are the evidence... no matter how young you cannot force feed the truth about Christ.
Man and atheist may have tried to push their beliefs onto others by whatever means human. But God and Christ have never done that.  It is sad you feel so hard pushed. :(

I couldn't help notice all you have is assertions no solid reality of what after all is only a belief.

I assume you still haven't, like Hope, been able to find anything that might support that there is any reality in these things that up untill now you have only managed to assert.

ippy

Leonard James

« Reply #9987 on: February 22, 2016, 06:55:18 AM »

My dear Sass, you continue to think you can read other people's minds ... but I'm afraid it's just not true.  :)

Alan Burns

« Reply #9988 on: February 22, 2016, 07:46:27 AM »
I exist.
I perceive.
I know I have no little man pulling strings in my brain.
And I use my keyboard to post this reply.
So what precisely is it that pulls your strings?  Are you really just a biological puppet driven by a cause and effect chain of events which began over three billion years ago, with no will of your own?
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #9989 on: February 22, 2016, 07:50:28 AM »
Are you really just a biological puppet driven by a cause and effect chain of events which began over three billion years ago, with no will of your own?

Probably, and it depends on what you imply by 'will' - it does seem that I can think about stuff, but that is just my biology doing what it does.

Alan Burns

« Reply #9990 on: February 22, 2016, 08:19:45 AM »
Probably, and it depends on what you imply by 'will' - it does seem that I can think about stuff, but that is just my biology doing what it does.
But in scientific terms, biology does not think - it just reacts.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #9991 on: February 22, 2016, 08:32:21 AM »
But in scientific terms, biology does not think - it just reacts.

I think that mine seems to think - iirc this was explained by BHS in relation to emergent properties recently.

Alan Burns

« Reply #9992 on: February 22, 2016, 08:51:14 AM »
I think that mine seems to think - iirc this was explained by BHS in relation to emergent properties recently.
But emergent properties are just an observed complexity arising from events which are driven entirely by deterministic reactions.  To equate such a property with your thought processes denies any freedom of thought and ties them into the deterministic scenario, making any apparent freedom a delusion. 

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #9993 on: February 22, 2016, 09:00:33 AM »
But emergent properties are just an observed complexity arising from events which are driven entirely by deterministic reactions.  To equate such a property with your thought processes denies any freedom of thought and ties them into the deterministic scenario, making any apparent freedom a delusion.

Fine up until your last word - which should be 'illusion', which may well be the case.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #9994 on: February 22, 2016, 10:34:18 AM »
So what precisely is it that pulls your strings? 
..a little pink unicorn!
Have you disproved it yet?
Albert Einstein

torridon

« Reply #9995 on: February 22, 2016, 11:29:13 AM »
So what precisely is it that pulls your strings?  Are you really just a biological puppet driven by a cause and effect chain of events which began over three billion years ago, with no will of your own?

It is mind that 'pulls strings'.

We have body, and we have mind. A simple body, like an earthworm, does not need a mind, but a complex body, like a hyena or a human, develops mind which helps it to navigate its vastly more complex life. We have evidence for bodies, and we have evidence for minds, but we do not need, and have no evidence for, 'souls'. 'Souls' are just a spurious complication, a hangover from earlier traditional religious and cultural pre-scientific ways of thinking. A modern rationale that is true to our modern knowledgebase has no place for 'souls'.

wigginhall

« Reply #9996 on: February 22, 2016, 01:36:14 PM »
I keep forgetting what the point of this soul stuff is.  Is it that the soul is not described physically, therefore comes from God? 

It's a hilarious argument really.   You know that whatsitcallit, which I haven't described, well it actually comes out of the whojamaflip, which I also haven't described.   Well, it stands to reason that one thing which cannot be described should be produced by something else, which cannot be described.   Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

ippy

« Reply #9997 on: February 22, 2016, 01:38:28 PM »

We have body, and we have mind. A simple body, like an earthworm, does not need a mind, but a complex body, like a hyena or a human, develops mind which helps it to navigate its vastly more complex life. We have evidence for bodies, and we have evidence for minds, but we do not need, and have no evidence for, 'souls'. 'Souls' are just a spurious complication, a hangover from earlier traditional religious and cultural pre-scientific ways of thinking. A modern rationale that is true to our modern knowledgebase has no place for 'souls'.

Absolutly.

ippy

wigginhall

« Reply #9998 on: February 22, 2016, 02:06:32 PM »
The pink unicorn is supernatural, therefore cannot be described in terms of deterministic events, going back to the Big Bang; therefore, it can only be God who creates the pink unicorn;  100% proof!
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

ekim

« Reply #9999 on: February 22, 2016, 02:13:17 PM »

Perhaps the Germanic words 'mind' and 'soul' should be replaced by the Greek word 'psyche' which is what is used in the New Testament and what is studied by psychologists.  What's the matter ..... never mind.  What's mind .... no matter.