Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3757732 times)

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #10000 on: February 22, 2016, 04:18:51 PM »
I keep forgetting what the point of this soul stuff is.  Is it that the soul is not described physically, therefore comes from God? 

Of course there can be no physical description for the soul, just as there can be no physical description for an act of conscious free will.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #10001 on: February 22, 2016, 04:22:46 PM »
Of course there can be no physical description for the soul,

....is there a non-physical description?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Alan Burns

« Reply #10002 on: February 22, 2016, 04:31:51 PM »
....is there a non-physical description?
My definition of the soul would simply be -
"That which experiences conscious awareness and drives free thoughts and conscious acts of free will"
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #10003 on: February 22, 2016, 04:34:13 PM »
"That which experiences conscious awareness and drives free thoughts and conscious acts of free will"

In order to do that though it has to interact with the physical body, doesn't it?
How does it do that?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

ekim

« Reply #10004 on: February 22, 2016, 04:36:47 PM »
Definition of 'mind'...... The element of a person that enables them to be aware of the world and their experiences, to think, and to feel; the faculty of consciousness and thought. ..... OED

Alan Burns

« Reply #10005 on: February 22, 2016, 04:38:13 PM »
The pink unicorn is supernatural, therefore cannot be described in terms of deterministic events, going back to the Big Bang; therefore, it can only be God who creates the pink unicorn;  100% proof!
The pink unicorn is in fact a product of human imagination which indeed is not driven by deterministic events going back to the Big Bang.  Just another example that creativity exists in our universe, as aptly demonstrated in the human mind.

Alan Burns

« Reply #10006 on: February 22, 2016, 04:42:05 PM »
In order to do that though it has to interact with the physical body, doesn't it?
How does it do that?
My guess is that it can influence the quantum events which occur in our brains without any apparent cause. 

wigginhall

« Reply #10007 on: February 22, 2016, 04:48:55 PM »
Perhaps the Germanic words 'mind' and 'soul' should be replaced by the Greek word 'psyche' which is what is used in the New Testament and what is studied by psychologists.  What's the matter ..... never mind.  What's mind .... no matter.

An interesting point, which reminds me that Freud generally used the German word 'Seele' in his writings, which was usually translated in English as 'mind' or 'psyche'.   Some people have complained that this distorts Freud; there are lots of other examples, for example, Freud used 'das Ich' translated as 'ego', when really it should be the I.

But I think German 'Seele' is rather different from 'soul', but you have to be fluent in German to get this, (I'm not). 
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

wigginhall

« Reply #10008 on: February 22, 2016, 04:51:45 PM »
The pink unicorn is in fact a product of human imagination which indeed is not driven by deterministic events going back to the Big Bang.  Just another example that creativity exists in our universe, as aptly demonstrated in the human mind.

Nonsense, the pink unicorn exists eternally, preternaturally, transpersonally, transcendentally.     

Alan Burns

« Reply #10009 on: February 22, 2016, 05:38:50 PM »
Definition of 'mind'...... The element of a person that enables them to be aware of the world and their experiences, to think, and to feel; the faculty of consciousness and thought. ..... OED
So we have awareness, thinking, feeling and consciousness - none of which have a definitive material definition, just a correlation with electro chemical activity in the brain.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 05:42:03 PM by Alan Burns »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #10010 on: February 22, 2016, 05:49:00 PM »
So we have awareness, thinking, feeling and consciousness - none of which have a definitive material definition, just a correlation with electro chemical activity in the brain.

Useful things are brains: they do this stuff thanks to the electro-chemical activity involved, without which none of this stuff happens. You might have noticed that in the absence of said electro-chemical activity none of the stuff you refer to happens at all: this is no coincidence.

ekim

« Reply #10011 on: February 22, 2016, 05:50:11 PM »
The point being though was Torridon said this 'We have body, and we have mind.' so why not use the word 'mind' and not 'soul' then there might be some common ground for the discussion?

wigginhall

« Reply #10012 on: February 22, 2016, 05:54:40 PM »
Useful things are brains: they do this stuff thanks to the electro-chemical activity involved, without which none of this stuff happens. You might have noticed that in the absence of said electro-chemical activity none of the stuff you refer to happens at all: this is no coincidence.

Alan should try drinking several large glasses of whisky.   He would probably still have some imagination and thinking ability left, depending on how large the glasses are, but he might notice some changes going on.   Alan, this is called scientificalistically, the spirit affecting the soul!

Alan Burns

« Reply #10013 on: February 22, 2016, 05:56:44 PM »
It is not a coincidence.  There is no doubt that the electro-chemical activity is an essential part of the process, but correlation does not imply causation.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #10014 on: February 22, 2016, 06:25:49 PM »
It is not a coincidence.  There is no doubt that the electro-chemical activity is an essential part of the process, but correlation does not imply causation.

Then do try thinking without utilising the electro-chemical activity that goes on in your brain and let us know how you get on.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 07:28:21 PM by Gordon »

Alan Burns

« Reply #10015 on: February 22, 2016, 06:55:01 PM »
Alan should try drinking several large glasses of whisky.   He would probably still have some imagination and thinking ability left, depending on how large the glasses are, but he might notice some changes going on.   Alan, this is called scientificalistically, the spirit affecting the soul!
Yes, Lagavulin would be nice  :)

Alan Burns

« Reply #10016 on: February 22, 2016, 07:37:46 PM »
Then do try thinking without utilising the electro-chemical activity that goes on in your brain and let us know how you get on.
I have read of some cases where people have had out-of-body experiences when there has been no measurable brain activity.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #10017 on: February 22, 2016, 07:45:49 PM »
I have read of some cases where people have had out-of-body experiences when there has been no measurable brain activity.

How do you know this to be so?

wigginhall

« Reply #10018 on: February 22, 2016, 09:15:58 PM »
A citation for that would be useful, I mean, NDE with no brain activity.   I am pretty sure that there is active research going on into this, so there should be plenty of publications.

Enki

« Reply #10019 on: February 22, 2016, 09:34:28 PM »
There is indeed Wigs.  As far as OBEs are concerned, and especially in the area of NDEs ,  work has been done on prospective tests looking for objective evidence for OBEs under clinical conditions. So far, results have been negative.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #10020 on: February 22, 2016, 09:51:36 PM »
My guess is that it can influence the quantum events which occur in our brains without any apparent cause.
Influence?
In what way?
Albert Einstein

torridon

« Reply #10021 on: February 22, 2016, 10:27:12 PM »

If the pink unicorn is a figment of imagination, then why not also the soul.  Since there is no evidence for either, all you have is bald assertion that pink unicorns are imaginary whereas souls are real. Not everyone is prepared to accept beliefs just on your say-so, some of us prefer our beliefs to be justified.

torridon

« Reply #10022 on: February 22, 2016, 10:37:56 PM »

I don't know about OBEs but I do recall not so long ago new findings that some level of minimal consciousness can operate at voltage levels below that which we can normally detect through high density electroencephalography, confounding previous accepted wisdom on the subject.  Exploring the neurophysiology of consciousness is very much a work in progress, and has implications for how we treat vegetative, comatose and brain-dead patients
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 10:40:45 PM by torridon »

Alan Burns

« Reply #10023 on: February 22, 2016, 10:43:47 PM »
A citation for that would be useful, I mean, NDE with no brain activity.   I am pretty sure that there is active research going on into this, so there should be plenty of publications.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=98447&page=1

torridon

« Reply #10024 on: February 22, 2016, 11:06:34 PM »

OK, so maybe it is just coincidence.  All the knowledge we have built up regarding neural correlates is all red herring because thoughts are actually enjoyed by a soul which does not show up because it is made of immaterial supernatural stuff. So what exactly is the point in having all that frontal cortex stuff if a soul can think on its own accord by its own magic methods  ?