Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3757936 times)

Rhiannon

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #10075 on: February 23, 2016, 06:23:58 PM »
Bog-standard theism, with the emphasis very much on the bog. Christopher Hitchens tells a story that when he was a tiny wee lad at school a pious teacher earnestly informed him that God made foliage - grass; leaves; stems and what have you - green because that was a nice restful colour for human eyes. Same thing as here. Alan probably thinks the teacher was bang on the money; the fact that bees collect pollen from whatever source, whether arbitrarily regarded as beautiful or ugly or all points between by some humans, really doesn't seem to appear in his impoverished and pinched mental landscape.

Well it's a nice fairy story for primary aged kids. But grown-ups believing it?

Not often I'm lost for words but this is coming close to it.

wigginhall

« Reply #10076 on: February 23, 2016, 06:29:03 PM »
Yes, anti-life form is a good way of putting it. There is something dead in not feeling the kinship we have with the animal kingdom. Not so much them and us as it and us. No sense of relationship to this sensual, fragile, terrifying world. Perhaps that's it; religion doesn't do sensual well and shies away from terror. The fragility of it gets lost in the need to make it clean and controllable.

I quite often find AB hilarious really, the constant goal-post moving and wish fulfilment, and sheer absurdity of his ideas.   But yes, there is something ghastly here as well, the splitting off of nature from humans.   In a strange way, it's all quite mechanical and dead.   His God seems to suck the life out of everything.

There's also the point that flowers arose about 100 million years ago at least, so God designed them so that we would appreciate them well, a bit later!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 06:31:37 PM by wigginhall »
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Rhiannon

« Reply #10077 on: February 23, 2016, 06:34:05 PM »
I quite often find AB hilarious really, the constant goal-post moving and wish fulfilment, and sheer absurdity of his ideas.   But yes, there is something ghastly here as well, the splitting off of nature from humans.   In a strange way, it's all quite mechanical and dead.   His God seems to suck the life out of everything.

Yes, the world as a more aesthetically pleasing version of Legoland.

Shaker

« Reply #10078 on: February 23, 2016, 06:34:49 PM »
Better than Legoland? What is this trash talk?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

wigginhall

« Reply #10079 on: February 23, 2016, 06:37:47 PM »
Yes, the world as a more aesthetically pleasing version of Legoland.

Good image.  I was thinking of zombies.   Well, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is a big hit, so AB presents 'God, me, and the zombies, can you spot the difference?'.
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Shaker

« Reply #10080 on: February 23, 2016, 06:42:05 PM »
I have to say, I'm struggling here.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Bubbles

« Reply #10081 on: February 23, 2016, 06:47:44 PM »
From my own observations, bees are just as attracted to the dull looking raspberry bush as they are to magnificent flowers - they do not appear to appreciate the beauty that humans see.  I put it to you that God may well have created such beauty for the benefit of those creatures who have the true gift of perception.

True gift of perception?

Bees see a different wavelength of light that we can't.

Perhaps they have the true gift of perception.

Perhaps we can't appreciate the beauty they see.

Perhaps to a bee, there's no such thing as a dull raspberry bush.

If it wasn't for the humble bee, most of those flowers wouldn't exist.

Nor the fruits we enjoy.

🌹

Rhiannon

« Reply #10082 on: February 23, 2016, 06:49:14 PM »
Good image.  I was thinking of zombies.   Well, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is a big hit, so AB presents 'God, me, and the zombies, can you spot the difference?'.

Yes, it's like those artificial reality storylines Red Dwarf were fond of producing once they'd run out of ideas.

Bubbles

« Reply #10083 on: February 23, 2016, 06:55:01 PM »
Yes, anti-life form is a good way of putting it. There is something dead in not feeling the kinship we have with the animal kingdom. Not so much them and us as it and us. No sense of relationship to this sensual, fragile, terrifying world. Perhaps that's it; religion doesn't do sensual well and shies away from terror. The fragility of it gets lost in the need to make it clean and controllable.

It's not just a kinship though, we rely on bees for pollination.

It's quite worrying that their numbers have been reduced.

You are right, we are not separate and distant to the ecology of the planet and we are not superior to it.

We rely on it, from the oxygen produced by the plants,  to the bees.

🌹

Rhiannon

« Reply #10084 on: February 23, 2016, 06:59:26 PM »

You are right, we are not separate and distant to the ecology of the planet and we are not superior to it.

🌹

That's what kinship is to me Rose, at least in part. That and a sharing, an empathy. And love.

Alan makes his relationship to the rest of nature sound like the love I have for a new bottle of nail polish. Fun but fleeting and ultimately disposable.

Shaker

« Reply #10085 on: February 23, 2016, 07:01:34 PM »

🌹
If I didn't know better, with that sort of talk you could almost be a pannelist panoply pancake pantheist.

Leonard James

« Reply #10086 on: February 23, 2016, 07:07:03 PM »
Now let's not get carried away by all this airy-fairy talk.

All life on earth is nothing more than an interacting splodge of materials. Including us. That's all.  :)

Bubbles

« Reply #10087 on: February 23, 2016, 07:10:01 PM »
If I didn't know better, with that sort of talk you could almost be a pannelist panoply pancake pantheist.

:D
There's hope for me yet, then?

;)

🌹
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:12:03 PM by Rose »

Rhiannon

« Reply #10088 on: February 23, 2016, 07:14:46 PM »
And for Len too if his last post is anything to go by.  ;)

Leonard James

« Reply #10089 on: February 23, 2016, 07:19:35 PM »
And for Len too if his last post is anything to go by.  ;)

Life is for living the best way you know how ... and enjoying it as you go. :)

Rhiannon

« Reply #10090 on: February 23, 2016, 07:22:16 PM »
Life is for living the best way you know how ... and enjoying it as you go. :)

Blimey, you can be a pagan to boot!

Leonard James

« Reply #10091 on: February 23, 2016, 07:24:48 PM »
Blimey, you can be a pagan to boot!

Call me whatever makes you happy!  :-*

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #10092 on: February 23, 2016, 07:26:08 PM »
I have no doubt that science will make great inroads into finding out how things work, but this alone does not eliminate the need for a maker of those things.
I agree I think it was Godel who said a system cannot be adequately explained by its components but involves an external.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #10093 on: February 23, 2016, 07:28:34 PM »
Still doing your linguistic hijack experiment?

Shaker

« Reply #10094 on: February 23, 2016, 07:30:05 PM »
Still doing your linguistic hijack experiment?
Nope!

ippy

« Reply #10095 on: February 23, 2016, 07:37:42 PM »
True gift of perception?

Bees see a different wavelength of light that we can't.

Perhaps they have the true gift of perception.

Perhaps we can't appreciate the beauty they see.

Perhaps to a bee, there's no such thing as a dull raspberry bush.

If it wasn't for the humble bee, most of those flowers wouldn't exist. 8

Nor the fruits we enjoy.

🌹

Yes raspberrys I'm sure there's a place for at least one somewhere on this thread Rose, certainly not aimed in your direction.

ippy

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #10096 on: February 23, 2016, 07:52:08 PM »
Alan makes his relationship to the rest of nature sound like the love I have for a new bottle of nail polish. Fun but fleeting and ultimately disposable.
Everything we see in nature is fleeting and we know it will not last.  But human beings have an insight and longing for something eternal.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Rhiannon

« Reply #10097 on: February 23, 2016, 07:55:48 PM »
Everything we see in nature is fleeting and we know it will not last.  But human beings have an insight and longing for something eternal.

Well yes. Quite a lot of people do indeed.

That doesn't make it real or make human life any less fleeting either.

Shaker

« Reply #10098 on: February 23, 2016, 08:30:20 PM »
Well yes. Quite a lot of people do indeed.

That doesn't make it real or make human life any less fleeting either.
That.

torridon

« Reply #10099 on: February 23, 2016, 09:13:02 PM »
From my own observations, bees are just as attracted to the dull looking raspberry bush as they are to magnificent flowers - they do not appear to appreciate the beauty that humans see.  I put it to you that God may well have created such beauty for the benefit of those creatures who have the true gift of perception.

Ah well in that case, you'll have to explain why god made cockroaches and rats and the West Nile virus too.  You wouldn't want people thinking you had bias in your attributions to God, I'm sure ?