Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3757614 times)

torridon

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #10125 on: February 24, 2016, 12:11:39 PM »
This reminds me of one of the Gospel aclamations used in our church services:

I thank you, Lord, for revealing the mysteries of the Kingdom to mere children

And as adults, we put away the childish things

Shaker

« Reply #10126 on: February 24, 2016, 12:12:27 PM »
Children are great. (At least some of them ... sometimes!). But I doubt you'd be content with a child's understanding of any given issue about the world - there's much that's overrated about growing up, but why do you want to remain at a child's level all your life? Child-like I get - we can all do with recapturing some of that in our lives. Childish, not really.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

floo

« Reply #10127 on: February 24, 2016, 12:34:59 PM »
Why would adults wish to be treated like children by a deity?

ippy

« Reply #10128 on: February 24, 2016, 12:45:51 PM »
This reminds me of one of the Gospel aclamations used in our church services:

I thank you, Lord, for revealing the mysteries of the Kingdom to mere children

Yes and it did a lot of good for you, I don't think.

This kind of dogma makes fools of otherwise sensible peeople, as in your case Alan.

ippy

Rhiannon

« Reply #10129 on: February 24, 2016, 12:58:32 PM »
The job of any parent is to raise their child to not need them any longer. Alan's God doesn't do that.

In fact Alan's God does a lot of strange things - demanding worship, withdrawing, testing how much he is loved through causing pain and difficulty. If he were a human we'd call him a narcissistic sociopathic control freak.

Khatru

« Reply #10130 on: February 24, 2016, 01:01:46 PM »
The job of any parent is to raise their child to not need them any longer. Alan's God doesn't do that.

In fact Alan's God does a lot of strange things - demanding worship, withdrawing, testing how much he is loved through causing pain and difficulty. If he were a human we'd call him a narcissistic sociopathic control freak.

Not to mention leaving his children in the hands of the greatest super villain in the universe and promising to return at some undisclosed date like a "thief in the night" to wreak havoc and destroy his children with fire.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

floo

« Reply #10131 on: February 24, 2016, 01:57:42 PM »

A real sicko, who would need serious psychiatric attention if it existed!

Rhiannon

« Reply #10132 on: February 24, 2016, 02:04:43 PM »
A real sicko, who would need serious psychiatric attention if it existed!

Control through guilt and shame; forgot that one.

Of course it's really from the minds of people that this stuff comes. What is particularly cancerous about religions is its ability to make otherwise whole people into damaged people who not only are very wounded but then go onto inflict the same wounds on others - and all in the cause of saving them.

floo

« Reply #10133 on: February 24, 2016, 02:06:04 PM »

Of course it's really from the minds of people that this stuff comes. What is particularly cancerous about religions is its ability to make otherwise whole people into damaged people who not only are very wounded but then go onto inflict the same wounds on others - and all in the cause of saving them.

Spot on!

Shaker

« Reply #10134 on: February 24, 2016, 02:14:52 PM »

This reminds me of a remark by the great H. L. Mencken: "The desire to save people is almost always a false front for the urge to rule them."
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

« Reply #10135 on: February 24, 2016, 02:15:36 PM »
This reminds me of a remark by the great H. L. Mencken: "The desire to save people is almost always a false front for the urge to rule them."

Yes.

wigginhall

« Reply #10136 on: February 24, 2016, 02:26:07 PM »

And the people who worship such a God seem to be showing Stockholm's syndrome; they are getting off on being dominated by such a sociopath.
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

wigginhall

« Reply #10137 on: February 24, 2016, 02:27:03 PM »

I've never heard that one; very shrewd.   Borne out by history.

Shaker

« Reply #10138 on: February 24, 2016, 02:33:20 PM »
Interesting and acute man, wiggy. Worth reading to this very day.

wigginhall

« Reply #10139 on: February 24, 2016, 02:37:24 PM »
It reminds me of Reagan's joke, well, not really a joke, 'the most frightening words you could ever hear are "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you"'.    Well, this is a right-wing slogan really, but it still makes me laugh.

Shaker

« Reply #10140 on: February 24, 2016, 02:39:14 PM »
Yes, I like that one too  :D

Unfortunately in the USA that seems to be taken to mean: "We're the government, and you should be able to help yourself. If you can't, oh well, never mind - too bad."

ekim

« Reply #10141 on: February 24, 2016, 04:25:28 PM »
True gift of perception?

If it wasn't for the humble bee, most of those flowers wouldn't exist.

Nor the fruits we enjoy.

🌹
They're not all so humble though ...... what about the hepatitis bee.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #10142 on: February 24, 2016, 06:13:14 PM »
Why would adults wish to be treated like children by a deity?
To get to heaven, for Jesus said, "Unless you become as little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven"

Can you remember the joys of being a child?
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Rhiannon

« Reply #10143 on: February 24, 2016, 06:18:26 PM »
To get to heaven, for Jesus said, "Unless you become as little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven"

There's nothing wrong with a bit of childlike awe and pleasure. But what you actually mean is infantilising adults in order to stop them thinking independently and for them to accept nonsense as truth.

wigginhall

« Reply #10144 on: February 24, 2016, 06:30:56 PM »

Lots of children get abused as well.   They are vulnerable to powerful authority figures, hmm, now I wonder who that reminds me of?   Did somebody mention Stockholm syndrome, oh, it must have been me.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10145 on: February 24, 2016, 06:37:32 PM »
Lots of children get abused as well.   They are vulnerable to powerful authority figures, hmm, now I wonder who that reminds me of?   Did somebody mention Stockholm syndrome, oh, it must have been me.

And some die in excruciating pain of childhood diseases that Alan's god created so that Alan could like flowers.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:40:12 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10146 on: February 24, 2016, 06:48:13 PM »
I know we are all supposed to go 'isn't Alan lovely because he's so polite' but te cloying idiocy that seeks to justify childhood diseases because 'we should be like children and like the pretty flower' and thank some thug god for the second but shrug our shoulders at the first because in our lisping prattling impersonations of Toyah 'it'th a mythtery' is stomach churning.

Rhiannon

« Reply #10147 on: February 24, 2016, 06:54:11 PM »
I know we are all supposed to go 'isn't Alan lovely because he's so polite' but te cloying idiocy that seeks to justify childhood diseases because 'we should be like children and like the pretty flower' and thank some thug god for the second but shrug our shoulders at the first because in our lisping prattling impersonations of Toyah 'it'th a mythtery' is stomach churning.

Spot on. We aren't supposed to go anything of the sort; manners or not these beliefs aren't just nauseating, they are actually quite frightening. What kind of blinkered self-importance could possibly allow for them?

wigginhall

« Reply #10148 on: February 24, 2016, 06:57:20 PM »
I sometimes wonder if Alan is a spoof, his stuff is so idiotic, and there is so much goal-post moving.  But probably not, would somebody really go on and on for months in this risible way as a poe?  But then it's supposed to be impossible to separate the spoof from the real thing, well that's what 'poe' means.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10149 on: February 24, 2016, 07:01:05 PM »
Spot on. We aren't supposed to go anything of the sort; manners or not these beliefs aren't just nauseating, they are actually quite frightening. What kind of blinkered self-importance could possibly allow for them?

That's just the devil talking through you, 'please sir thug god, please, thug god, I saw Goody Rhiannon asking questions!'