Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3757643 times)

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #10250 on: February 26, 2016, 03:26:45 PM »
..how does he do that exactly?
temptation
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Maeght

« Reply #10251 on: February 26, 2016, 03:31:16 PM »
But I am not trying to win an argument.  I am trying to spread the Good News.  I would hope that even though they are rejected now, some of the messages I send might provide food for thought in later life

Why in later life particularily?

Alan Burns

« Reply #10252 on: February 26, 2016, 03:35:57 PM »
Why in later life particularly?
It does not matter when you see the light, as long as you see it before you die.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #10253 on: February 26, 2016, 03:37:02 PM »
I am trying to spread the Good News.

Then that is where you are going wrong, Alan - what you are spreading ain't news, and it ain't good neither.

wigginhall

« Reply #10254 on: February 26, 2016, 03:41:26 PM »
But I am not trying to win an argument.  I am trying to spread the Good News.  I would hope that even though they are rejected now, some of the messages I send might provide food for thought in later life

So the Good News is that people who object to your stuff in these posts are being twisted by the devil.  Well, I suppose that's one way to gain support. 
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

wigginhall

« Reply #10255 on: February 26, 2016, 03:48:58 PM »
Hey, Alan..... how goes it? Still holding your own, I see.... :)

Well, if you call being dishonest holding his own, I suppose, yes.   Goal-post moving, quote-mining, retreating from a position while denying it - it's quite a collection of deceit.

torridon

« Reply #10256 on: February 26, 2016, 03:55:51 PM »

This is not a place for proselytising; you should not be here if you have no intention of engaging with the ideas of people with a different perspective; you are just wasting people's time through misuse of this board.

Rhiannon

« Reply #10257 on: February 26, 2016, 04:00:51 PM »
It does not matter when you see the light, as long as you see it before you die.

So what you mean is you hope that as people approach their own death they might clutch at the same straws that you do already.

Alan Burns

« Reply #10258 on: February 26, 2016, 04:10:10 PM »
This is not a place for proselytising; you should not be here if you have no intention of engaging with the ideas of people with a different perspective; you are just wasting people's time through misuse of this board.
The fact that I have strong Christian faith should not prevent me from engaging with people who have a different perspective, particularly on the Christian section of a forum.

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #10259 on: February 26, 2016, 04:12:04 PM »
Well, if you call being dishonest holding his own, I suppose, yes.   Goal-post moving, quote-mining, retreating from a position while denying it - it's quite a collection of deceit.

I meant continuing in this thread. It's all about perception as well.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

Alan Burns

« Reply #10260 on: February 26, 2016, 04:12:07 PM »
So what you mean is you hope that as people approach their own death they might clutch at the same straws that you do already.
I would hope that they see the truth, for the truth will set you free.

wigginhall

« Reply #10261 on: February 26, 2016, 04:21:55 PM »
I would hope that they see the truth, for the truth will set you free.

And yet you're one of the most dishonest posters that I've seen on this forum.   How come?

Rhiannon

« Reply #10262 on: February 26, 2016, 04:35:34 PM »
And yet you're one of the most dishonest posters that I've seen on this forum.   How come?

Did Alan's truth set you free, Wiggs? Me neither.

Shaker

« Reply #10263 on: February 26, 2016, 04:44:40 PM »
But I am not trying to win an argument.  I am trying to spread the Good News.
Why then is this turning out to be such an abject failure?

You should be trying to win the argument, but that would involve actually having one in the first place, which you do not. Remember that you're dealing not with your chums at church now but rational, sceptical people who are persuadable by evidence, reason and the force of logic, not by hare-brained claims and bald assertions.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 04:47:31 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Shaker

« Reply #10264 on: February 26, 2016, 04:53:50 PM »
By 'seeing the light' I assume you mean coming to believe as you do. What if this does not happen and you live a long, productive, useful and interesting life and die as an atheist - like Bertrand Russell, say? Or Christopher Hitchens (a life sadly far briefer than that of Russell)?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 04:56:26 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Shaker

« Reply #10265 on: February 26, 2016, 05:00:44 PM »
The fact that I have strong Christian faith should not prevent me from engaging with people who have a different perspective
So what else is it that prevents you from doing so?

torridon

« Reply #10266 on: February 26, 2016, 05:10:25 PM »
The fact that I have strong Christian faith should not prevent me from engaging with people who have a different perspective, particularly on the Christian section of a forum.

Engaging is good, we would welcome that; that implies a two way dialogue requiring you to open your mind up to learn from the insights of others who have a different experience of life. We see no evidence that you have learned anything here.

Maeght

« Reply #10267 on: February 26, 2016, 05:17:07 PM »

Okay - but it was you who said 'in life later' which is why I asked.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:25:16 PM by Maeght »

wigginhall

« Reply #10268 on: February 26, 2016, 05:25:37 PM »
Did Alan's truth set you free, Wiggs? Me neither.

Well, watching someone lying for Jesus is not all that attractive, although no doubt it is an old custom. 

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #10269 on: February 26, 2016, 05:41:05 PM »
This is not a place for proselytising;
Get off then.

Shaker

« Reply #10270 on: February 26, 2016, 05:49:02 PM »
Torridon isn't proselytising. Alan explicitly states that that's why he's here. Bit of a difference.

Khatru

« Reply #10271 on: February 26, 2016, 09:18:11 PM »
As I have said before, I do not believe God causes suffering, but I do believe He can help us to deal with it and ultimately bring good out of it.

Perhaps you should read Amos 3: 1-5  where you will see that the Bible itself explains how God does indeed cause suffering.

On your second point, my faith would prevent me from using any reasoning which did not include God, because I know Him, I trust Him and I love Him.

Which, of course, translates, "I have disabled my own conscience and allowed an external agency the privilege of assuming that role for me. I accept as moral whatever I am told God thinks is moral."

Have you thought about how ripe you might be to being exploited? Can you see why you might be a danger to your neighbours with an attitude like that?

I know. You can't. God is good. End of analysis, right?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

Khatru

« Reply #10272 on: February 26, 2016, 09:21:58 PM »

Sorry, Alan - your good news isn't very convincing.  Especially when it can't even stand up to honest scepticism.

Dorothy Parker

Khatru

« Reply #10273 on: February 26, 2016, 09:28:07 PM »

Engaging

Have you got a secret Christian definition for that word that isn't found in the OED?

Dorothy Parker

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #10274 on: February 27, 2016, 01:34:58 AM »
temptation
..and how exactly does he do that?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein