Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3757209 times)

OH MY WORLD!

• Just between you me and a monkey sitting on a rock
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #10300 on: February 27, 2016, 04:50:00 PM »
Why not Gordon? You have a hate on for Christian quotes. Would you be ok with a Dicky quote? Yes?
Well I've got something better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7PUWWIReDg

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #10301 on: February 27, 2016, 04:56:29 PM »
So you are likening people disagreeing with you on a rather small Internet forum to the Son of God being falsely accused and crucified?
It was not a disagreement, I was accused of being dishonest.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Rhiannon

« Reply #10302 on: February 27, 2016, 05:53:16 PM »
It was not a disagreement, I was accused of being dishonest.

Right. So being accused of lying on a small Internet forum is comparable to the Son of God being falsely accused and crucified.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #10303 on: February 27, 2016, 07:09:36 PM »
I read Stephen Butterfield's review of an Alpha course, thanks for the link.  We could have a whole new thread about Alpha with people relating their experiences of the course which was very fashionable at one time. Just a thought.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Leonard James

« Reply #10304 on: February 27, 2016, 07:20:00 PM »
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the Unabridged Dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing factory."   Edwin Conklin

Except that life didn't originate from an accident, but from a very long string of accidents continuously selected from by the environment (as it is still doing today).

Rhiannon

« Reply #10305 on: February 27, 2016, 07:22:24 PM »
I read Stephen Butterfield's review of an Alpha course, thanks for the link.  We could have a whole new thread about Alpha with people relating their experiences of the course which was very fashionable at one time. Just a thought.

Feel free to start one, Brownie. Sounds like a good idea to me.  :)

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #10306 on: February 27, 2016, 08:40:53 PM »
I'm reticent, or 'shy' about starting threads Rhiannon.  I would certainly contribute to one about Alpha, having been involved with one years ago.  On the other hand, this thread is entitled ''Searching for God'' which is partly what Alpha is about, so might do.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Rhiannon

« Reply #10307 on: February 27, 2016, 08:51:26 PM »
Oh, I'll do it then.  ;)

Sassy

« Reply #10308 on: February 28, 2016, 12:42:15 AM »
Unless there is a known cause, such as exposure to radiation, I don't think anyone or anything is responsible: but then again I adopt the same approach to the good stuff. It is you guys who want to praise your omni-God for the good stuff but give it an opt out for the bad stuff.

This must be a non-sequitur since it seems to be a sentence with no discernible meaning.

Of course, but you still have the problem of stuff that can't be attributed to humans, such as natural disasters.

Don't know the details but that there were some seems likely, given what is now known about radiation, but in terms of your God you guys let him off the hook with obvious human mistakes. However, some of you guys also believe in an interventionist God so where was it when those exposed to radiation from Chernobyl started to suffer?

The same as was played by Dennis the Menace, Sherlock Holmes and Holden Caulfield: that is none whatsoever, since being fictitious limits their capabilities somewhat.

No idea, so why not just tell me if you think it is relevant.

Mr Sheen of course.

No idea, and more importantly neither have you since you can't confirm that what Christ is alleged to have said in that the relevant NT reports are all anecdotal, and where these anecdotes were only written decades later. How do you know that what Christ is alleged to have said doesn't involve the element of mistake, exaggeration or fiction?

Dennis the Menace says 'if you break windows remember to run away fast': I just made that up but I'm sure you'll get my point.

You've been reading too much bad fiction again.

Hypothetically, of course, I'd never turn my back - but then again the notion of supernatural healing is yet more superstitious nonsense.

Nope - I can recognise fictional characters quite easily, and funnily enough I mentioned this to Don Corleone when we last had lunch together.

Too silly to respond to.

Not quite: there are no good reason to think this God exists. The reality seems to be, sadly, that sometimes shit happens.

'Hallelujah' seems like the best response to this.

Gordon.

You and I, both know that the above is basically tripe from you.
If you are too lazy to give a considered and educated response then don't expect to be taken seriously in future. :( :o
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Leonard James

« Reply #10309 on: February 28, 2016, 05:46:10 AM »
Gordon.

Coming from the busiest tripe machine on the forum, that is risible.

If you are too lazy to give a considered and educated response then don't expect to be taken seriously in future. :( :o

Says the programmed robot who nobody takes seriously ever.

floo

« Reply #10310 on: February 28, 2016, 08:38:42 AM »
Gordon.

Thus spake the mistress of tripe and garbage! Oh the irony! ;D

Alan Burns

« Reply #10311 on: February 28, 2016, 12:10:32 PM »
Right. So being accused of lying on a small Internet forum is comparable to the Son of God being falsely accused and crucified.
Though many posters on this forum disagree with the content of my posts, most seem to recognise that I sincerely believe in what I write.  So it came as a shock to be accused of being the most dishonest poster on this forum.  The parallel I drew with Jesus is in what I believe to be the ultimate source to motivate such a false accusation.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

ippy

« Reply #10312 on: February 28, 2016, 06:16:48 PM »
I have witnessed many adult conversions.  You are never too old to discover God's love, Len.

If I kept spouting off about my belief about the living Elvis is here and we should all be praying for more of his works, Na Na Na Na "NUTTER ON THE LOOSE", "arr but it's my belief", oh well that's OK then.

Now Alan there's something out there I think it would be easily possible to compare that lot above to, what do you think?

ippy

Leonard James

« Reply #10313 on: February 28, 2016, 07:25:26 PM »
Though many posters on this forum disagree with the content of my posts, most seem to recognise that I sincerely believe in what I write.  So it came as a shock to be accused of being the most dishonest poster on this forum.  The parallel I drew with Jesus is in what I believe to be the ultimate source to motivate such a false accusation.

I don't think anybody here believes you are dishonest, Alan.

I think Wiggy meant that you are unable to see the truth of the arguments put to you sometimes.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10314 on: February 28, 2016, 07:55:23 PM »
I don't think anybody here believes you are dishonest, Alan.

I think Wiggy meant that you are unable to see the truth of the arguments put to you sometimes.

Seems a bit of a leap to interpret a post of wigginhall's that says he sees Alan as one of the most dishonest posters in that way.

Leonard James

« Reply #10315 on: February 28, 2016, 07:58:23 PM »
Seems a bit of a leap to interpret a post of wigginhall's that says he sees Alan as one of the most dishonest posters in that way.

Perhaps I worded it badly. Wiggs probably thinks Alan realises the truth of arguments put to him but steadfastly refuses to admit it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10316 on: February 28, 2016, 08:34:08 PM »
Perhaps I worded it badly. Wiggs probably thinks Alan realises the truth of arguments put to him but steadfastly refuses to admit it.

I think if you read wigginhall's post it is still stronger than that he argues that Alan is using specifically dishonest tactics.

Leonard James

« Reply #10317 on: February 28, 2016, 08:47:38 PM »
I think if you read wigginhall's post it is still stronger than that he argues that Alan is using specifically dishonest tactics.

Well, recognising an argument as true but still not admitting it IS a dishonest tactic.

Only Alan can know what the truth is.

Alan Burns

« Reply #10318 on: February 28, 2016, 11:57:56 PM »
Well, recognising an argument as true but still not admitting it IS a dishonest tactic.

Only Alan can know what the truth is.
If I did not believe in what I post, I would not be posting on this forum.  I can see the logic of arguments used to disagree with me, but to me it is false logic which can does not relate to true reality.  As I have implied on numerous occasions, I just want to reveal the truth as I know it to other people.

Shaker

« Reply #10319 on: February 29, 2016, 12:37:33 AM »
Believe. Not know.

Do you think your revelation of the truth is going to convince anybody given that it's based on nothing but fallacy and assertion?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Leonard James

« Reply #10320 on: February 29, 2016, 06:34:00 AM »
If I did not believe in what I post, I would not be posting on this forum.  I can see the logic of arguments used to disagree with me, but to me it is false logic which can does not relate to true reality.  As I have implied on numerous occasions, I just want to reveal the truth as I know it to other people.

On what premise do you consider the logic 'false', Alan? How does it not relate to reality?

And please don't come back with "because it does not agree with what the Bible teaches" - because that in itself is a supreme example of illogicality.

torridon

« Reply #10321 on: February 29, 2016, 06:51:41 AM »

Have you revealed anything at all ? I mean apart from a deeply confused contradictory Sunday school theology; apart from a general shiftiness of posting style; apart from an unwillingness to learn from the insights of others; apart from a lack of attention to detail and a lack of respect for boring things like evidence and reason; apart from a massive overweaning case of selection bias; apart from a flawed understanding of evolutionary biology and neuroscience; apart from a general unwillingness to learn from research; apart from a general inability or unwillingness to justify your opinions. These are the actual things you are revealing, I am afraid.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 06:59:39 AM by torridon »

Alan Burns

« Reply #10322 on: February 29, 2016, 08:37:25 AM »
On what premise do you consider the logic 'false', Alan? How does it not relate to reality?

Abiogenesis could not occur in this hostile environment without intelligently guided intervention.
The gradual development of life is entirely dependent on billions of beneficial mutations being generated by inherently destructive random forces, which would not occur without intelligently guided intervention.
The existence of human free will aptly demonstrates that intelligently guided intervention does occur and this universe is not entirely deterministic.
Conscious awareness in humans defies any materialistic description.
We are all living miracles. :)

Shaker

« Reply #10323 on: February 29, 2016, 09:02:06 AM »
Abiogenesis could not occur in this hostile environment without intelligently guided intervention.
This is - typically - an assertion of belief but certainly not a fact. There is absolutely no way that you can claim this is a fact.
The gradual development of life is entirely dependent on billions of beneficial mutations being generated by inherently destructive random forces, which would not occur without intelligently guided intervention.
Ditto. It also highlights your woeful misunderstanding of evolution - most mutations are actually neutral.

With the almost complete suspicion that I'm wasting my time, I suggest you read something like this:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/mutations.html
The existence of human free will aptly demonstrates that intelligently guided intervention does occur and this universe is not entirely deterministic.
Free will is an assertion, not a fact.
So far - that does not give you permission to fill in the blanks with bedtime stories.
The only miracle at work here is that you're able to walk and chew gum at the same time.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:12:22 AM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

torridon

« Reply #10324 on: February 29, 2016, 09:24:18 AM »

All of which points have been addressed for you many times already.  You are wrong, and you'll continue being wrong until you start to listen and learn.