Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3757227 times)

Shaker

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #10450 on: March 02, 2016, 10:46:12 AM »
I think you have just declared yourself to be a Muslim  :o
No. It's only a few words that I've quoted - I don't actually believe it.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Shaker

« Reply #10451 on: March 02, 2016, 11:11:00 AM »
Which bit of Alan's post is nonsense, in your opinion?  The bit about Shakespeare or Jesus being the way, the truth and the life?
Certainly the latter; but equally the idea that a writer reveals himself to his fictional creations, which is as barmy as the  reverse scenario.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

torridon

« Reply #10452 on: March 02, 2016, 11:12:20 AM »
Fiction is man's creation.
Life is God's creation.

He's on a roll now; somebody stop him !

Shaker

« Reply #10453 on: March 02, 2016, 11:22:06 AM »
Tranquilizer dart and nets?

Leonard James

« Reply #10454 on: March 02, 2016, 11:25:49 AM »
It's difficult to know who to blame for this sad situation. It's the fault of either the authors who invented all this superstitious stuff or the credulous people who believe it.  :(

floo

« Reply #10455 on: March 02, 2016, 11:30:16 AM »
It's difficult to know who to blame for this sad situation. It's the fault of either the authors who invented all this superstitious stuff or the credulous people who believe it.  :(

I doubt you can blame the authors for using their imaginations in those far off pre-science days. However, as we now live in the 21st century believing the Biblical fairy tales to be true does make people seem rather silly and gullible!

Khatru

« Reply #10456 on: March 02, 2016, 11:53:15 AM »
Silly old Shaker, you are describing what that magician, Jo Smith, claimed happened to him. Islam got the Koran and Mormons got the Book of Mormon.

How do you know it wasn't your god starting again?

He did it with Christianity.

Perhaps he didn't like the way that was going so he started Islam and centuries later, when he didn't think that was going too well, he started Mormonism.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #10457 on: March 02, 2016, 12:03:29 PM »
I must have read the NT a few times by now
I am intrigued to know what prompted you to read it more than once.  I am constantly dipping into the NT, but I can't imagine ever being tempted to read Dawkins or Hitchens more than once.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Shaker

« Reply #10458 on: March 02, 2016, 12:06:24 PM »
I am intrigued to know what prompted you to read it more than once.  I am constantly dipping into the NT, but I can't imagine ever being tempted to read Dawkins or Hitchens more than once.
Because I'm frequently drawn back to check up on/confirm quotes I come across - it's research, not reading for pleasure. And, of course, replenishing the arsenal, since you can't argue against something without knowing what the opponent believes.

Dawkins and Hitchens on the other hand I've read many times over, not only to soak up information (obviously) but for the sheer joy of reading two superb users of the English language.

Your reluctance stems from the fact that they say things you don't like, I expect.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 12:08:54 PM by Shaker »

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #10459 on: March 02, 2016, 12:15:56 PM »
Certainly the latter; but equally the idea that a writer reveals himself to his fictional creations, which is as barmy as the  reverse scenario.

Thanks but floo can speak for herself.  I could guess what you think Shaker.  Probably could guess what floo thinks but would rather she said it.

As an aside, when I was doing RE (or whatever it was called then), for 'O' level donkeys' years ago, I quoted a bit of Shakespeare, from Julius Caesar, thinking it was from the Bible.  Afterwards I realised what I'd done.  I thought it was funny, the teachers didn't - but I passed anyway so not to worry.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Shaker

« Reply #10460 on: March 02, 2016, 12:18:30 PM »

Thanks but floo can speak for herself.  I could guess what you think Shaker.  Probably could guess what floo thinks but would rather she said it.
Since I called Alan's post nonsense in #10855, and you asked whch bit of of it was nonsense, I took it that you were asking me.

Alan Burns

« Reply #10461 on: March 02, 2016, 12:19:02 PM »
Dawkins and Hitchens on the other hand I've read many times over, not only to soak up information (obviously) but for the sheer joy of reading two superb users of the English language.
Dawkins and Hitchens are two very clever, talented people, but the devil is far more clever than any of us, which is why we need the help of our Saviour.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Shaker

« Reply #10462 on: March 02, 2016, 12:21:39 PM »
Dawkins and Hitchens are two very clever, talented people, but the devil is far more clever than any of us, which is why we need the help of our Saviour.
You might have a need to believe in such manifest and really quite sinister nonsense - well, there's no might about it; obviously you do - but normally-constituted people do not.

Alan Burns

« Reply #10463 on: March 02, 2016, 12:25:04 PM »
You might have a need to believe in such manifest and really quite sinister nonsense - well, there's no might about it; obviously you do - but normally-constituted people do not.
Which just illustrates just how clever the devil is at hiding the truth from us.

wigginhall

« Reply #10464 on: March 02, 2016, 12:28:35 PM »
Which just illustrates just how clever the devil is at hiding the truth from us.

I'm curious as to how you know when it's the devil at work.   For example, which posters here strike you as demonically affected?  All of them?
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Leonard James

« Reply #10465 on: March 02, 2016, 12:31:37 PM »

You are virtually saying that your "God" isn't strong enough to make his truth "Devil" proof. How very odd!

Leonard James

« Reply #10466 on: March 02, 2016, 12:33:41 PM »
I'm curious as to how you know when it's the devil at work.   For example, which posters here strike you as demonically affected?  All of them?

We certainly ain't so fainthearted as the Christians, who seem to have dwindled considerably.

Shaker

« Reply #10467 on: March 02, 2016, 12:35:51 PM »
Same question here as with prayer. What's your methodology? How do you tell the difference between truth being hidden by the devil, and the absence of any such truth? If you claim that there's a truth which is being concealed, how do you know of its existence (know, not believe) as opposed to it simply not existing in the first place? Remember that the invisible and the non-existent look very much alike. If you've no means of distinguishing one from t'other, what does that imply for your beliefs?

It's a genuine question - stop dodging it and answer, if you think you can.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 01:01:42 PM by Shaker »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #10468 on: March 02, 2016, 12:39:10 PM »
Fiction is man's creation.

On that we agree.

Therefore it is essential to bear this in mind when coming across stuff that is indistinguishable from fiction: such as anecdotal accounts written decades after the events they claim to portray, where the provenance is uncertain or is not knowable and also bearing in mind the risk of human artifice.

Ring any warning bells?

Enki

« Reply #10469 on: March 02, 2016, 12:42:11 PM »
Which bit of Alan's post is nonsense, in your opinion?  The bit about Shakespeare or Jesus being the way, the truth and the life?

Shakespeare created characters and stories from his considerable imagination. Even in his history plays, his use of real historical characters was simply a device to explore his own considerable creative abilities and to entertain the public.

The idea that Jesus was the way, the truth and the life is something which the NT writers wished people of those times to accept.

I suggest that, in comparing the two, the words chalk and cheese come to mind.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

torridon

« Reply #10470 on: March 02, 2016, 01:06:21 PM »

So again you are back to your god being either too feeble to overcome/get rid of the devil, or disinterested in sorting out that devil chappie.  Either way what you describe falls short of 'God'.

jjohnjil

« Reply #10471 on: March 02, 2016, 01:24:24 PM »
You have to admit those Bible story writers were clever!  If it's good, they say, credit God ... if it's bad blame Satan!

No wonder AB and co stay hooked.  Whenever someone gives an argument against their beliefs, "That old Devil is up to his tricks, so don't listen!"

floo

« Reply #10472 on: March 02, 2016, 01:29:32 PM »
You have to admit those Bible story writers were clever!  If it's good, they say, credit God ... if it's bad blame Satan!

No wonder AB and co stay hooked.  Whenever someone gives an argument against their beliefs, "That old Devil is up to his tricks, so don't listen!"

Old Satan has his uses! ;D

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #10473 on: March 02, 2016, 01:47:30 PM »
Since I called Alan's post nonsense in #10855, and you asked whch bit of of it was nonsense, I took it that you were asking me.

No sweat Shaky, mea culpa for not being clearer.  I'm not wondering about what floo thinks any more either, it's just that I remember her from years back when she was a Christian and can't help wondering what changed.  Still that's her business.  We've all changed over the years, I know I am far more liberal than I used to be - though I was always liberal in practice, I came over as less so on forums because I researched things a bit more.  C'est la vie.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Enki

« Reply #10474 on: March 02, 2016, 01:50:20 PM »
Old Satan has his uses! ;D

And who is to say that Alan, himself, isn't being used by this Devil?  After all, he is so unconvincing in his assertions that I would maintain that he actually puts many people off with his protestations of his faith.  Isn't this what his devil aspires to? ;)
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright