Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3756671 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #10500 on: March 02, 2016, 07:23:31 PM »
I have no idea of what you mean by "save us". I don't believe in "God" and I don't believe there is any life after death, so what is it I need saving from?
Didn't you claim to once being a Christian?

Leonard James

« Reply #10501 on: March 02, 2016, 07:26:18 PM »
Didn't you claim to once being a Christian?

Yes, I once was, and was taught that non-believers would go to "hell". Is that what I am being "saved" from?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #10502 on: March 02, 2016, 07:37:46 PM »
Yes, I once was, and was taught that non-believers would go to "hell". Is that what I am being "saved" from?
Never mind what you were taught? What as a Christian did you believe? You knew salvation is part of it, so what did you think you were saved from?

Leonard James

« Reply #10503 on: March 02, 2016, 07:55:39 PM »
Never mind what you were taught? What as a Christian did you believe? You knew salvation is part of it, so what did you think you were saved from?

I just told you ... I believed that people who didn't believe in Jesus would go to hell. I believed what I was taught, like most youngsters.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #10504 on: March 02, 2016, 07:57:26 PM »
I just told you ... I believed that people who didn't believe in Jesus would go to hell. I believed what I was taught, like most youngsters.
And what did you believe hell was?
And which church did you attend?

Leonard James

« Reply #10505 on: March 02, 2016, 07:59:44 PM »
And what did you believe hell was?
And which church did you attend?

I believed hell was a lake of fire where we suffered for eternity, and I went to a CoE church.

What's with all the questions?

Bubbles

« Reply #10506 on: March 02, 2016, 08:01:48 PM »

I think they have softened it up today, to what they used to teach Leonard.

Although it's still there.

Bubbles

« Reply #10507 on: March 02, 2016, 08:04:52 PM »
I believed hell was a lake of fire where we suffered for eternity, and I went to a CoE church.

Yep I remember that bit, as the unchristened child,  at the c of e church school. Nice.

Mind you I don't think they have taught that in c of e schools for quite a while now.

They used to scare you,  years ago.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #10508 on: March 02, 2016, 08:09:14 PM »

sorry.
High or low C of E?

Leonard James

« Reply #10509 on: March 02, 2016, 08:27:55 PM »
sorry.
High or low C of E?

I confess I have no idea. It was our local church and the only one I attended.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #10510 on: March 02, 2016, 09:04:28 PM »
Puts me in mind of when we (as family) went to Center Parcs when they first opened.  There was a fire in the swimming pool - I kid you not!
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Khatru

« Reply #10511 on: March 02, 2016, 09:09:50 PM »
Evil.

Like the evil that constructed a torture pit, stocked it with demons and holds people for agonising punishment for all eternity?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

Khatru

« Reply #10512 on: March 02, 2016, 09:14:01 PM »
I must admit that personally I have no concept of what it is like to not have faith.  I am quite certain that I could never have been an atheist.  If I had not been brought up in a faith environment I would have to choose to take on one of the religious faiths, and I do not know which I would have gone for.  But having said that, I have no inclination to change from my Roman Catholic faith, for which I am profoundly grateful to have been born into.

So if you'd been born in Saudi Arabia you would have been a Muslim.

Your faith is an accident of birth.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

Shaker

« Reply #10513 on: March 03, 2016, 04:26:45 AM »
I am quite certain that I could never have been an atheist.  If I had not been brought up in a faith environment I would have to choose to take on one of the religious faiths, and I do not know which I would have gone for.
If you had not been brought up in a "faith environment" (a phrase to make me shudder if ever there was one) how do you know that you would have chosen one religious belief or another? Simple: you don't. Buddhism and Jainism are out as they're atheistic (or non-theistic, whichever you prefer).

But having said that, I have no inclination to change from my Roman Catholic faith, for which I am profoundly grateful to have been born into.
This is a tacit admission of one of the most pernicious things about religion, the indoctrination of children. You are all but explicitly stating that there was never a time of your life from your egress of the birth canal onwards when you were not veritably bathed in Roman Catholicism - which, surely by one of God's own bona fide miracles, just happens to be the brand of theism that you accept as the right and true one; indeed, the only right and true one. Miracle, Alan? Coincidence? Or something else? You've never not been Catholic so can't be said to have critically weighed up its beliefs on their own, for want of a much better word, merits as a sceptical, rational adult. You were never in a position to choose it freely. You've certainly never contrasted and compared other beliefs systems in a disinterested comparative religion sort of way.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 06:19:51 AM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Sassy

« Reply #10514 on: March 03, 2016, 09:20:16 AM »
Coming from the busiest tripe machine on the forum, that is risible.

Says the programmed robot who nobody takes seriously ever.

King of  w-offal... but lucky enough to know that you are superceded by the Queen Floo.
She is Offal but you do like her..

~~~~

I guess if that is all you can come up with and had a grain of truth then why would you and floo be constantly following me around insulting and attacking...

Why would you call me a nasty bitch if you really believed what you had written...
Says the programmed robot who nobody takes seriously ever.

Whatever you say... what I say is constant and is not twisted. But you clearly reveal that you say one thing and yet really mean another.

Shame on your Leonard. If you believed I was a programmed robot and no one took me seriously, especially you then you would never have made some of the remarks you made when you could not win the argument.

My faith in God is real. It isn't programmed and has he has got me some of the worst times in my life. Take yesterday for instance the day that both my little sisters and Fathers funeral took place.
I may be toughened but years of seeing loved ones especially children die and even murdered can impact us that way.
But it has never taken my empathy and caring about others away.  You cannot blame God for these things. But I do believe I will see my loved ones again.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Sassy

« Reply #10515 on: March 03, 2016, 09:27:23 AM »
Though many posters on this forum disagree with the content of my posts, most seem to recognise that I sincerely believe in what I write.  So it came as a shock to be accused of being the most dishonest poster on this forum.  The parallel I drew with Jesus is in what I believe to be the ultimate source to motivate such a false accusation.

It isn't flesh and blood which you are fighting against.

King James Bible
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

They don't wrestle with these things they embrace them.
What they say and what they mean can be two different things. So you should not be surprised when they tickle your ears with what they think you want to hear which is different to how they really feel.

"Greater is he who is in you than he who is in the world."

King James Bible
Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

You really thought that Satan can be anything else but the Father of all lies?
Or those who belong to him can do any less than he can?

If you look at previous posts of mine I pointed out someone doing very similar to me this morning then found  this.
Take heart because you see the words of Christ and the earliest believers are true... :)
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein

floo

« Reply #10516 on: March 03, 2016, 09:27:47 AM »
The stand up comic, Sass, strikes again! ;D

Sassy

« Reply #10517 on: March 03, 2016, 09:40:52 AM »
Jesus to Alan:  "Let me in"

Alan:  "Why?"

Jesus:  "So that I can save you"

Alan:  "Save me from what?"

Jesus:  "From what I'm going to do to you if you don't let me in."

If anyone knew Jesus was asking to let them in literally would they really question the Christ in such a manner?

For Jesus to reveal himself to you the two commandments have to be obeyed. These come with promises.

15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

So we clearly see that Khatru is completely ignorant of what the bible says and for anyone to see Christ they would have to already obey his commandments.
Faith is seeing.

It is clear in John 3:16. God loved the world that he sent his only Son that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

The wages of sin is death. You earn it... the free gift of God is eternal life, you cannot earn that you must receive it freely.

What happens to a person at judgment is something they earned for themselves. But what God gives through Christ is the ability to live without judgment and free from sin.

Khatru like many here are not searching for God, they are seeking only to ridicule that which they do not understand and are too frightened to comprehend or search for in case they find it to be true.

God and Jesus loves us. But man has always wanted to be his own god not realising outside the real life in god they are like Satan doomed to go where he has lead them....

Sassy

« Reply #10518 on: March 03, 2016, 09:45:28 AM »
The stand up comic, Sass, strikes again! ;D

Satan laughs and the world laughs with him.... Satan cries and the world cries with him. God loves and those who love, love with him... Guess who laughs/loves longest....

It is a joke for you floo but take 5-10 minutes today. Lock yourself away somewhere without your loved ones especially grandchildren then imagine those 5-10 minutes were eternity and you could see your family through the window all gathered together laughing and enjoying themselves and you could never join in with them again.

When you have done this ask is what you do and say worth being separated from them for eternity and knowing that for all eternity with no way out. Reality bites...

Leonard James

« Reply #10519 on: March 03, 2016, 09:59:29 AM »

My faith in God is real. It isn't programmed and has he has got me some of the worst times in my life.

I have never doubted that your faith in "God" is real to you, Sass, nor that it has helped you in times of stress.

But that is NOT evidence that he exists, it is only evidence that faith can help you, and others like you.

However, it is also a fact that you could face life equally well without that faith, just like I and millions of others do. I understand that a lifetime of leaning on your faith makes it difficult to accept, but it's true.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #10520 on: March 03, 2016, 10:01:25 AM »
Sassy: It sounds like clinical depression Sass, maybe not seeing children and grandchildren (wouldn't apply to a single person), but seeing everyone else getting on with their lives and unable to reach them, like being in a glass jar.  Everything in slow motion too.  The difference is that with depression, the glass jar also offers some protection so it's a no win situation.

You've conjoured up quite a picture!

Sassy: "Lock yourself away somewhere without your loved ones especially grandchildren then imagine those 5-10 minutes were eternity and you could see your family through the window all gathered together laughing and enjoying themselves and you could never join in with them again."

Why don't you just avoid/ignore certain people?  I have said the same to floo, only just noticed Len is joining in on it.  You and Len used to be OK, there was banter between you.  Life is too short Sass and none of you do any good to eachother by jumping to retort every time one of you posts.  It is so predictable too!  I know every time you post, a certain person will be quick on your heels with a meaningless one liner.  This person was once a Christian too, posting on forums has not done her any good whatsoever.  However we don't know what goes on in other people's lives, apart from the selected things they tell us.  That's enough from me!  I know no-one will agree with me  :D, I'm used to that.  See you later.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

ippy

« Reply #10521 on: March 03, 2016, 10:05:20 AM »
Satan laughs and the world laughs with him.... Satan cries and the world cries with him. God loves and those who love, love with him... Guess who laughs/loves longest....

It is a joke for you floo but take 5-10 minutes today. Lock yourself away somewhere without your loved ones especially grandchildren then imagine those 5-10 minutes were eternity and you could see your family through the window all gathered together laughing and enjoying themselves and you could never join in with them again.

When you have done this ask is what you do and say worth being separated from them for eternity and knowing that for all eternity with no way out. Reality bites...

Sass, you've put, "reality bites", at the end of this post of yours? 

How of all of people that post here would you know what reality is?

ippy

Leonard James

« Reply #10522 on: March 03, 2016, 10:08:21 AM »
  You and Len used to be OK, there was banter between you.  Life is too short Sass and none of you do any good to each other by jumping to retort every time one of you posts. 

Hi Brownie,

You are absolutely right, but in my defense I must say that many times I have decided NOT to reply to Sass's posts because it is a total waste of time.  Unfortunately, every now and again she posts something so daft that I am spurred to fall into the trap and answer.

Must try harder!  :(

floo

« Reply #10523 on: March 03, 2016, 10:22:41 AM »

Sass, you live in your own little world of fantasy where reality doesn't impinge, if your crazy posts are anything to go by! ::)

Shaker

« Reply #10524 on: March 03, 2016, 10:48:11 AM »

What a thoroughly foul individual.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.