Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3757311 times)

wigginhall

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #10600 on: March 04, 2016, 10:18:10 AM »
But in this case, it is more than just a gap, it is what constitutes me and you.  My conscious awareness is what I am, and science can't explain it with mere labelling.

It's not a question of labelling.  There is active research into self identity and the way in which the brain organizes this.   For example, some people with strokes can't remember who they are (as also in dementia); some can recognize objects but not faces, and so on.  It seems unlikely that there is a single 'identity zone' in the brain, but the interaction of different areas. 

To call this research mere labelling is a bit insulting.   It's thanks to this research that advances are being made in the treatment of various types of brain damage, including dementia, car crash victims, strokes, and so on.
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #10601 on: March 04, 2016, 10:30:30 AM »
It's not a question of labelling.  There is active research into self identity and the way in which the brain organizes this.   For example, some people with strokes can't remember who they are (as also in dementia); some can recognize objects but not faces, and so on.  It seems unlikely that there is a single 'identity zone' in the brain, but the interaction of different areas. 

To call this research mere labelling is a bit insulting.   It's thanks to this research that advances are being made in the treatment of various types of brain damage, including dementia, car crash victims, strokes, and so on.
Science has discovered much about how the brain works, but it does not define the difference between reaction and perception.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #10602 on: March 04, 2016, 10:43:36 AM »
AB,

Science has discovered much about how the brain works, but it does not define the difference between reaction and perception.

Actually to a significant degree it does but, even if it didn't, can you genuinely not see that the inability of science to provide an answer says nothing whatever to any other answer you may want to put into the gap? Your thinking here is precisely that of the people who had no scientific explanation for thunder so decided it was Thor, or who didn't know why the crops failed so decided the volcano god was angry with them. 

That is, as so often you're using very, very bad reasoning to attempt your point so it fails necessarily. 
"Don't make me come down there."

God

BeRational

« Reply #10603 on: March 04, 2016, 10:44:31 AM »

But you do not know the answer either.

Why are you allowed to just assert and answer to an unknown?

Am I allowed to do it as well, or just you?
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Shaker

« Reply #10604 on: March 04, 2016, 10:49:03 AM »
Amazing that anybody still deploys the god-of-the-gaps fallacy these days given science's long and, to say the least, rather successful track record of filling said gaps with knowledge and naturalistic explanations. But I suppose so long as gaps exist (i.e. as long as there's still the human endeavour of science) some people will keep trying to crowbar a god into the blank bits.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #10605 on: March 04, 2016, 11:06:58 AM »
Amazing that anybody still deploys the god-of-the-gaps fallacy these days given science's long and, to say the least, rather successful track record of filling said gaps with knowledge and naturalistic explanations. But I suppose so long as gaps exist (i.e. as long as there's still the human endeavour of science) some people will keep trying to crowbar a god into the blank bits.
It is truly amazing what the intelligently driven free thought processes of the human soul have discovered and brought into conscious human awareness.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Shaker

« Reply #10606 on: March 04, 2016, 11:08:27 AM »
It is truly amazing what the intelligently driven free thought processes of the human soul have discovered and brought into conscious human awareness.
It's even more amazing that you either don't know when you're doing it or just don't care but just keep on churning out assertion after assertion.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

wigginhall

« Reply #10607 on: March 04, 2016, 11:12:35 AM »

Well, maybe you could give a citation for that.   As far as I can see, and I am not a neurologist, (but I did work in a stroke clinic in a research project), there is research into reaction and perception.   In fact, the research on perception is enormous.  But don't let me stop you - you obviously have some superior knowledge and information.    After all, scientists merely label things, according to you.

You are making yourself look stupid and ignorant actually, with statements like this. 
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Leonard James

« Reply #10608 on: March 04, 2016, 11:14:33 AM »
Science shows how our sense organs transfer signals to separate areas of the brain.  It does not show how all these signals all get perceived into a single entity of conscious awareness.  All science can point to is molecular activity generated by lots of individual brain cells.  Reaction does not imply perception.

The brain itself is the single entity of conscious awareness, receiving stimuli and reacting accordingly. What more do you want? A label on a particular group of cells saying 'general headquarters'?

Andy

« Reply #10609 on: March 04, 2016, 11:21:20 AM »
Even if Alan had a scientific explanation that satisfied him, he can still bump his god on the end of that. Forever chasing his tail.

Maeght

« Reply #10610 on: March 04, 2016, 11:27:31 AM »
God of the Gaps is a very useful tool for the believer and as has been said there will always be gaps - its just what those gaps are will keep changing to suit.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 11:30:38 AM by Maeght »

Gonnagle

« Reply #10611 on: March 04, 2016, 11:28:47 AM »
Dear Leonard, Blue, Jeremyp, Profdavey, Outrider, Shaker, Sane, Gordon, Andy, jj, Seb Toe, Berational, and any other atheist who has debated on this very long wonderful thread,

You are all religious nutters debating with another religious nutter!!

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #10612 on: March 04, 2016, 11:31:45 AM »
Andy,

Even if Alan had a scientific explanation that satisfied him, he can still bump his god on the end of that. Forever chasing his tail.

Yes, that's the standard trope isn't it?:

"Science can't explain it, therefore god".

Science then explains it.

"Ain't god wonderful for making all that scientific stuff happen?" 
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Leonard James

« Reply #10613 on: March 04, 2016, 11:32:51 AM »
Dear Leonard, Blue, Jeremyp, Profdavey, Outrider, Shaker, Sane, Gordon, Andy, jj, Seb Toe, Berational, and any other atheist who has debated on this very long wonderful thread,

You are all religious nutters debating with another religious nutter!!

Gonnagle.

Hooray and hallelujah! I so wish that were the end of this 'very long and wonderful' thread, because it is a complete waste of time and effort!  >:(

Rhiannon

« Reply #10614 on: March 04, 2016, 11:34:51 AM »
Hooray and hallelujah! I so wish that were the end of this 'very long and wonderful' thread, because it is a complete waste of time and effort!  >:(

Len, it's been a blast. Some of the finest posts on the forum in recent times are here. Wouldn't wish it away for anything.

Shaker

« Reply #10615 on: March 04, 2016, 11:35:13 AM »
Certainly a waste of time and effort if the aim was/is to explain to Alan how and why almost everything he comes out with is either a bald assertion or a logical fallacy of some sort, I agree.

On the other hand, there has been some stellar writing here - beautifully written posts by some excellent posters and I wouldn't have missed any of that for the world.

Shaker

« Reply #10616 on: March 04, 2016, 11:35:38 AM »
Crossed posts, but there you go  :)

Leonard James

« Reply #10617 on: March 04, 2016, 11:36:10 AM »
Certainly a waste of time and effort if the aim was/is to explain to Alan how and why almost everything he comes out with is either a bald assertion or a logical fallacy of some sort, I agree.

On the other hand, there has been some stellar writing here - beautifully written posts by some excellent posters and I wouldn't have missed any of that for the world.

Yes, I agree ... but all to no avail!  :(

Khatru

« Reply #10618 on: March 04, 2016, 11:43:08 AM »
..failed then?

Yeah - epic fail.

This supposedly omnipotent god who can toss galaxies across the cosmos can't even defeat evil.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

Rhiannon

« Reply #10619 on: March 04, 2016, 11:43:59 AM »
Yes, I agree ... but all to no avail!  :(

Depends what you are trying to achieve. I've no interest in talking anyone out of their beliefs; the important thing is the sharing of knowledge and ideas. That is never a waste of time.

Gonnagle

« Reply #10620 on: March 04, 2016, 11:45:26 AM »
Dear Leonard,

Well old son! this is what happens when all you religious nutters get together. :o

Gonnagle.

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #10621 on: March 04, 2016, 11:48:22 AM »
Please don't tell me this thread is going to close!
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Khatru

« Reply #10622 on: March 04, 2016, 11:48:43 AM »
As I expected, you have answered an entirely different question from the one posed. I'll try once more: If you had been born into a Moslem community, of deeply religious Moslem parents, do you realise and accept that your own religion would have been the same as theirs?

Indeed.

If Alan had been born in Saudi Arabia he would have been a Muslim, firm in his belief that Mohammed is the one true prophet of Allah.

Of course, Alan's deep religious/chronological snobbery will prevent him from admitting that.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

Leonard James

« Reply #10623 on: March 04, 2016, 11:52:21 AM »
Depends what you are trying to achieve. I've no interest in talking anyone out of their beliefs; the important thing is the sharing of knowledge and ideas. That is never a waste of time.

I guess so. I suppose I'm becoming a lazy old sod!  >:(

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #10624 on: March 04, 2016, 12:15:08 PM »
Moderator:

Since we are 442 pages in I've 'stickied' this thread to ensure it isn't inadvertently culled.