Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3756579 times)

Shaker

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #10875 on: March 07, 2016, 02:57:39 PM »
I think one stumbling block would be trying to convince myself that conscious awareness can be generated from molecular activity alone.  It was over forty years ago that I concluded that my awareness of my own existence could not be generated in a Godless universe, and nothing has come close to convincing me otherwise.
A classic God-of-the-gaps answer.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #10876 on: March 07, 2016, 02:59:09 PM »
AB,

I think one stumbling block would be trying to convince myself that conscious awareness can be generated from molecular activity alone.  It was over forty years ago that I concluded that my awareness of my own existence could not be generated in a Godless universe, and nothing has come close to convincing me otherwise.

The "stumbling block" as you put it is irrelevant. For now, all that's being asked is whether or not you're open just to the possibility of no god.

If you're not, your mind is closed and any further discussion about that potential non-existence is pointless; if you are, then arguments about whether or not this god exists can be brought to the table.

For now, it's a simple yes/no question: are you open to the possibility of there being no god? 
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #10877 on: March 07, 2016, 03:05:36 PM »
The trouble with that is that the FSA is for like-minded people, those who are already believers - Alan's here to win converts, to change people's minds so that they stop being sceptical, critical-thinking non-believers and come to believe what he believes.

Yes, I know. Hard to believe, but that's what he thinks of as his reason for being here.
There are many things which I would personally prefer to do rather than be posting to such an unreceptive audience, suffering some quite disparaging comments.

I have tried on several occasions to get a break from writing these posts, but I keep getting called back into action.  I feel sure there must be at least one person on the Forum for whom God thinks it will be of benefit for them to consider the points I am making.  I just hope I can do the job and meet up with them on heaven.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #10878 on: March 07, 2016, 03:10:36 PM »
AB,

There are many things which I would personally prefer to do rather than be posting to such an unreceptive audience, suffering some quite disparaging comments.

You're taking it too personally. Any "disparaging" is in fact just people pointing out where your arguments go wrong. You should take it as a positive (I know I would) - the new knowledge you have should allow you not to repeat them and instead to try something that is logically robust.

I have tried on several occasions to get a break from writing these posts, but I keep getting called back into action.

By whom?

I feel sure there must be at least one person on the Forum for whom God thinks it will be of benefit for them to consider the points I am making.  I just hope I can do the job and meet up with them on heaven.

The only people you could persuade so far are those less able to reason than you are. Your problem with this audience is that they are better able to reason than you are, so your arguments will not gain traction until you replace them with some that aren't broken.

God

Shaker

« Reply #10879 on: March 07, 2016, 03:11:25 PM »

I have tried on several occasions to get a break from writing these posts
Easy enough Alan - just do other things.
but I keep getting called back into action.  I feel sure there must be at least one person on the Forum for whom God thinks it will be of benefit for them to consider the points I am making.  I just hope I can do the job and meet up with them on heaven.
Over all how do you think that's going?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Shaker

« Reply #10880 on: March 07, 2016, 03:13:26 PM »
AB,

You're taking it too personally. Any "disparaging" is in fact people pointing out where your arguments go wrong. You should take it as a positive (I know I would) - the new knowledge you have should allow you not to repeat them and instead to try something that is logically robust.
I agree that that's the way it ought to work ... but as I was reminded only this morning, with some people it just doesn't.

torridon

« Reply #10881 on: March 07, 2016, 04:40:52 PM »

That just means your thinking hasn't moved on in 40 years.  The rest of the world hasn't stopped though, neuroscience is powering ahead currently unhindered by whatever it is that is holding you back.  It seems like you had one big idea way back, and it's become a fixed thing, in effect you've been taken hostage by it, imprisoned by an idea, unable to move on or grow by integrating new findings.  I suppose we all have a tendency to become fixed in our ways as we get older, but thats not a virtue to aspire to.

wigginhall

« Reply #10882 on: March 07, 2016, 04:51:47 PM »

Well, this is the exciting bit - how do you think that conscious awareness is generated in a God-filled universe?  Just a few details would help, or maybe you have some articles you could refer to?  Can't wait.
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #10883 on: March 07, 2016, 07:58:50 PM »
Wiggs,

Well, this is the exciting bit - how do you think that conscious awareness is generated in a God-filled universe?  Just a few details would help, or maybe you have some articles you could refer to?  Can't wait.

I fear that you're going to have to...

...and wait...

...and wait...

As indeed am I to the question of whether or not AB is as open to the possibility of no god as he wants others to be open to the possibility of god...

God

Ricky Spanish

« Reply #10884 on: March 07, 2016, 08:35:21 PM »
Burnsie, do you also believe in Ghosts?
UNDERSTAND - I MAKE OPINIONS. IF YOUR ARGUMENTS MAKE ME QUESTION MY OPINION THEN I WILL CONSIDER THEM.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #10885 on: March 07, 2016, 09:11:42 PM »
You just need to be genuinely open to the possibility that God exists
As I am

before you can invite Him into your life.
How do I do that? I've tried it mentally, but he was a no show. Do I need to send a written invitation? If so, to what address?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Alan Burns

« Reply #10886 on: March 07, 2016, 10:36:35 PM »
how do you think that conscious awareness is generated in a God-filled universe?
God knows
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 10:40:05 PM by Alan Burns »
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Alan Burns

« Reply #10887 on: March 07, 2016, 10:43:52 PM »
How do I do that? I've tried it mentally, but he was a no show.
If you really want Him to come into your life, He will find a way.  I do not believe God will impose Himself where He is not wanted.

Alan Burns

« Reply #10888 on: March 07, 2016, 10:46:18 PM »
Burnsie, do you also believe in Ghosts?
I believe in souls, but I am not sure they are the same thing.

BeRational

« Reply #10889 on: March 07, 2016, 11:04:37 PM »
I believe in souls, but I am not sure they are the same thing.

Do you accept that you are closed minded?
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Shaker

« Reply #10890 on: March 07, 2016, 11:14:29 PM »
God knows
Can we have something a little more concrete?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #10891 on: March 07, 2016, 11:31:13 PM »
AB,

As it seems to have slipped your mind, let me ask you the question again: do you accept the possibility that there is no god?

A simple yes/no will be fine.

God

Leonard James

« Reply #10892 on: March 08, 2016, 06:21:15 AM »
If you really want Him to come into your life, He will find a way.  I do not believe God will impose Himself where He is not wanted.

He can't impose himself anywhere except in the minds of the gullible.  :)

Alan Burns

« Reply #10893 on: March 08, 2016, 09:13:53 AM »
AB,

As it seems to have slipped your mind, let me ask you the question again: do you accept the possibility that there is no god?

A simple yes/no will be fine.
It has to be a big no.

Shaker

« Reply #10894 on: March 08, 2016, 09:16:17 AM »
That's scarcely a hallmark of the open-mindedness you claim, then, is it?

Alan Burns

« Reply #10895 on: March 08, 2016, 09:19:11 AM »
UNTRUE!  I wanted and needed it as a kid, but it never came through for me!
There is still time, Floo.  Keep the door open.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #10896 on: March 08, 2016, 09:27:07 AM »
AB,

It has to be a big no.

Wow. So to be clear, you expect others here to be open to the possibility of god, but you are not open to the possibility of no god.

Is that really the position you want to take?

Really?

Well, this is a discussion board. By your own admission, you don't actually want to discuss anything - rather all you're interested in is proselytising and no argument of any kind can ever be allowed to challenge your certainty about that. And that incidentally is pretty much the very definition of a closed mind. 

Oh well. There is a faith sharing section of this mb - perhaps you'd be better off sharing your personal faith beliefs over there for those who like that kind of thing?

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #10897 on: March 08, 2016, 09:34:17 AM »
That's scarcely a hallmark of the open-mindedness you claim, then, is it?
I can't possibly be open minded about the existence of someone with whom I have a personal relationship.  In order to doubt the existence of God I would need to declare myself insane.

Khatru

« Reply #10898 on: March 08, 2016, 09:34:39 AM »
If you read my post I said that God's love could not be discerned through scientific methodology because it is beyond human understanding.

My earlier posts were meant to draw attention to the limitations of science and encourage people to look beyond the limits of our man made logic to discover the truth that lies beyond.

Your god is only beyond human understanding when it suits you.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

Shaker

« Reply #10899 on: March 08, 2016, 09:39:25 AM »
I can't possibly be open minded about the existence of someone with whom I have a personal relationship.  In order to doubt the existence of God I would need to declare myself insane.
I have a personal relationship with my dad in real life, not in my head. I would consider that a rather one-sided affair.