Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3755908 times)

torridon

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #10950 on: March 08, 2016, 05:43:11 PM »
Yes, a great deal of time, effort and money are being spent on trying to correlate conscious awareness with specific neuron activity in the brain, but correlation does not necessarily imply causation.

There'd not be much point in having a brain with which to make choices or to think if that is what the soul is doing.  Why bother with all those trillions of synaptic connections when God can just sort you out with a supernatural soul to do the whole business by magic ?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10951 on: March 08, 2016, 05:49:51 PM »
A sperm with speedos on is just the sort of image I needed to brighten a shitty day - kudos to you :D
IIRC Nick Marks once wrote a post which referred to sperm in their Sunday best. His sperm are obviously much more formal than bluehillside's

ETA - Having checked this, I was wrong, it was Stem Cells in their Sunday Best tadpole outfits (obviously)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 05:54:02 PM by Nearly Sane »

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #10952 on: March 08, 2016, 06:06:03 PM »

Aw bless you - I'm glad someone appreciates my efforts here!

I enjoyed reading it too (#11324), though I should add that I would have much rather had a cigar than a French Fancy!

You are a talented writer (of fiction)  ;)
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Alan Burns

« Reply #10953 on: March 08, 2016, 06:11:29 PM »
There'd not be much point in having a brain with which to make choices or to think if that is what the soul is doing.  Why bother with all those trillions of synaptic connections when God can just sort you out with a supernatural soul to do the whole business by magic interaction?
FIFY
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Shaker

« Reply #10954 on: March 08, 2016, 06:14:58 PM »

You are a talented writer (of fiction)  ;)
Your favourite genre, Alan ;)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10955 on: March 08, 2016, 06:15:04 PM »
If there was no ultimate cause, nothing would exist.

Apart from being assertion, it is as I pointed out in the post you replied to logically contradictory. If you insist everything needs a cause you create an infinite regress. If you place an ultimate cause as some form of explanation, then the first premise that everything needs a cause is incorrect.

Note in this thread this contradiction has been pointed out multiple times and you continue to ignore it. What am I to conclude? That you have no memory, that you are stupid and don't understand it and ignore it and are therefore lying, or you do understand but have no answer and are ignoring it and are lying, or some other thing for you to suggest? Because at the moment I feel as if keeping on ignoring points made multiple times, is leaning me towards you bring dishonest.

Alan Burns

« Reply #10956 on: March 08, 2016, 07:41:47 PM »
Apart from being assertion, it is as I pointed out in the post you replied to logically contradictory. If you insist everything needs a cause you create an infinite regress. If you place an ultimate cause as some form of explanation, then the first premise that everything needs a cause is incorrect.

Note in this thread this contradiction has been pointed out multiple times and you continue to ignore it. What am I to conclude? That you have no memory, that you are stupid and don't understand it and ignore it and are therefore lying, or you do understand but have no answer and are ignoring it and are lying, or some other thing for you to suggest? Because at the moment I feel as if keeping on ignoring points made multiple times, is leaning me towards you bring dishonest.
We can only deduce that the laws of cause and effect exist in our universe.  The nature of whatever exists outside this universe will be totally unknown to us.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10957 on: March 08, 2016, 07:44:47 PM »
We can only deduce that the laws of cause and effect exist in our universe.  The nature of whatever laws may exist outside this universe will be totally unknown to us.
For the first part, we might deduce it but it isn't proved but you cannot use it to extend to anything and then say the rule doesn't need to apply. .

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10958 on: March 08, 2016, 07:46:19 PM »
Oh and it should be noted that free will as described by Alan is a violation of his assumption of cause and effect and posits multiple non caused causes.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #10959 on: March 08, 2016, 07:53:37 PM »
We can only deduce that the laws of cause and effect exist in our universe.  The nature of whatever laws may exist outside this universe will be totally unknown to us.

Better to suspend judgment then.

After all you can't deduce (since deduction involves formal logic) that the phrase 'outside this universe' is amenable to deduction. As such, even though you'd like it to be so, that some people in the middle-east who lived in more credulous times, when people were relatively lacking in knowledge but lived in cultures where religious superstitions were rife, claimed one version of 'God' doesn't require you to believe them when to must be obvious to you, from what has been said to you here, that your particular approach to theism is built upon logical fallacies.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10960 on: March 08, 2016, 08:05:11 PM »
As soon as we posit free will, we destroy the idea of an ultimate cause, leaving aside the internal contradictions of such an idea. We are arguing for an infinite of ultimate causes if the decision is truly free.

Alan Burns

« Reply #10961 on: March 08, 2016, 10:38:32 PM »
Oh and it should be noted that free will as described by Alan is a violation of his assumption of cause and effect and posits multiple non caused causes.
Precisely!
That is why we need a source for free will which is not constrained by the deterministic rules of cause and effect - the human soul, with the spiritual properties of conscious awareness and free will.  The soul sets us free!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 10:40:51 PM by Alan Burns »

Alan Burns

« Reply #10962 on: March 08, 2016, 10:48:06 PM »
As soon as we posit free will, we destroy the idea of an ultimate cause, leaving aside the internal contradictions of such an idea. We are arguing for an infinite of ultimate causes if the decision is truly free.
For a decision to be truly free it needs to be initiated from outside the chain of cause and effect.  A free will event is caused by a conscious act of will.  As the bible says, we are made in the image of God whose will must have interacted with this universe to bring us into existence, just as human will interacts to bring about man made creations.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 10:57:23 PM by Alan Burns »

Alan Burns

« Reply #10963 on: March 08, 2016, 10:51:42 PM »
Better to suspend judgement then.
Not if "that which is outside this universe" has made itself known to us in the life of Jesus.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #10964 on: March 08, 2016, 11:00:13 PM »
Not if "that which is outside this universe" has made itself known to us in the life of Jesus.

You'll be able to demonstrate all this without recourse to your usual farrago of fallacies, won't you!

torridon

« Reply #10965 on: March 09, 2016, 06:33:17 AM »
For a decision to be truly free it needs to be initiated from outside the chain of cause and effect.

Such a choice would not be a choice at all, it would be a random event.  Choices have to have a reason, and that is the cause.  No cause = no reason = random event.  Choices cannot be truly free.

torridon

« Reply #10966 on: March 09, 2016, 06:40:37 AM »
We can only deduce that the laws of cause and effect exist in our universe.  The nature of whatever exists outside this universe will be totally unknown to us.

If there is something beyond our universe, and if the principle of casue and effect does not hold thee, all that indicates is such a place is incomprehensible, so it would be a poor place to look for meaning.

ippy

« Reply #10967 on: March 09, 2016, 08:32:56 AM »

Tell me Alan and all of the other contributors to this thread, when your reply says, "Not if "that which is outside this universe" has made itself known to us in the life of Jesus", how do you or anyone else acquire this knowledge, where does it come from and how do you know, whatever method you say this kind of info is supplied to you, if it is genuine, factual and it can be substantiated?

If these things you say, "are made known to us in the life of Jesus", can be substantiated", how?

ippy

Alan Burns

« Reply #10968 on: March 09, 2016, 08:38:26 AM »
Such a choice would not be a choice at all, it would be a random event.  Choices have to have a reason, and that is the cause.  No cause = no reason = random event.  Choices cannot be truly free.
OK, I should have said that the cause of a free will event can't come from within the cause and effect chain as defined by materialistic behaviour.  The cause of a free will event must come from the conscious will of a person, so until we can define conscious awareness, we can't define the cause of free will.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #10969 on: March 09, 2016, 09:16:17 AM »
But could the blind, natural processes of biology create the amazing entity of conscious self awareness which became you?

Yes.

:)
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Alan Burns

« Reply #10970 on: March 09, 2016, 09:21:04 AM »
If there is something beyond our universe, and if the principle of casue and effect does not hold thee, all that indicates is such a place is incomprehensible, so it would be a poor place to look for meaning.
Yes, it is incomprehensible to us.  When I read Stephen Hawkins' book "A Brief History of Time" it was fascinating to discover the possibility that time itself is a physical property which began with the Big Bang.  So time as we know it may not exist beyond our universe, which fits in with the Christian concept of God being ever present in the "now" throughout history.  A fascinating concept alluded to in John 8:57-59:

‘You are not yet fifty years old,’ they said to him, ‘and you have seen Abraham!’

‘Very truly I tell you,’ Jesus answered, ‘before Abraham was born, I am!’  At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #10971 on: March 09, 2016, 09:34:24 AM »
AB,

Yes, it is incomprehensible to us.  When I read Stephen Hawkins' book "A Brief History of Time" it was fascinating to discover the possibility that time itself is a physical property which began with the Big Bang.  So time as we know it may not exist beyond our universe, which fits in with the Christian concept of God being ever present in the "now" throughout history.  A fascinating concept alluded to in John 8:57-59:

‘You are not yet fifty years old,’ they said to him, ‘and you have seen Abraham!’

‘Very truly I tell you,’ Jesus answered, ‘before Abraham was born, I am!’  At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

"History" is a function of time, and you have all your work ahead of you to demonstrate this "beyond our universe" rather than just assert it as an article of your personal faith beliefs.   
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #10972 on: March 09, 2016, 09:39:44 AM »
Tell me Alan and all of the other contributors to this thread, when your reply says, "Not if "that which is outside this universe" has made itself known to us in the life of Jesus", how do you or anyone else acquire this knowledge, where does it come from and how do you know, whatever method you say this kind of info is supplied to you, if it is genuine, factual and it can be substantiated?

If these things you say, "are made known to us in the life of Jesus", can be substantiated", how?

All I am implying is that God (ie That which exists ...) made Himself known to us by becoming one of us.  As Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life" - no ordinary being, but God made man.  We can't substantiate this with scientifically controlled methodology, but we can look at the message - that Jesus came to save us from evil and enable us to return to our true home in Heaven. If we really want to be delivered from evil, we can start with an act of faith in Jesus and invite Him into our lives.

Rhiannon

« Reply #10973 on: March 09, 2016, 09:40:19 AM »
A fascinating concept alluded to in John 8:57-59:

No it's not alluded to, Alan. Really. It isn't.

Shaker

« Reply #10974 on: March 09, 2016, 09:41:22 AM »
No it's not alluded to, Alan. Really. It isn't.
That's about the most tortuous and torturous misapprehension of any passage I've seen in a very long time indeed.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.