Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3755667 times)

ippy

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #11050 on: March 10, 2016, 01:20:23 AM »
Do you know what I smell... Atheists, without answers who are having a self-pity party by stroking their egos by insulting the person who makes them feel so inadequate in their own beliefs.

Doesn't matter how many gang up... you will still be a bunch who got it wrong.

Don't forget Sass, Topnotch signs they've got a websight.

ippy

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #11051 on: March 10, 2016, 02:57:21 AM »
Do you know what I smell... Atheists, without answers who are having a self-pity party by stroking their egos by insulting the person who makes them feel so inadequate in their own beliefs.

Doesn't matter how many gang up... you will still be a bunch who got it wrong.
Do you know what I smell? .....Bullshit!
People who think they have all the answers (and especially if they can quote them in bold type), who are having a self congratulation party by stroking their egos because they are so insecure in their own belief bubble.

Doesn't matter how you you dress it up...you will still be the one who got it wrong (did anyone mention gravity and heavy spacesuits?  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)  )
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Shaker

« Reply #11052 on: March 10, 2016, 05:04:58 AM »
None of us are immune from sin
As a matter of fact anybody is immune from sin who denies the definition and concept of sin in the first place, as I do.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #11053 on: March 10, 2016, 08:44:33 AM »
Christianity is not about carrots and sticks - it is about accepting God's forgiveness, the forgiveness earned through our saviour Jesus Christ.
Forgiveness for being what God made us.  ::)

It really is a very silly idea. God makes us so we can't be perfect, then blames us for not being and then offers to forgive us if (and only if) we accept this utterly daft story.

x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Shaker

« Reply #11054 on: March 10, 2016, 08:50:38 AM »
"Created sick, commanded to be well" as Hitch used to quote.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #11055 on: March 10, 2016, 08:58:39 AM »
As a matter of fact anybody is immune from sin who denies the definition and concept of sin in the first place, as I do.
I need to clarify:

None of us are immune from sin in the eyes of God.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Shaker

« Reply #11056 on: March 10, 2016, 09:03:40 AM »
I need to clarify:

The clarification doesn't alter the import of what I said, though. Sin by the very definition of the word is wrongdoing in the eyes of a god; if you don't believe in any gods, there are no gods to dictate wrongdoing, which then becomes - entirely as it should be - a matter of the happiness or otherwise of sentient beings.

Stranger

« Reply #11057 on: March 10, 2016, 09:09:05 AM »

This god of yours should be blaming itself for doing such a bad job of making us, then.

Sassy

« Reply #11058 on: March 10, 2016, 09:10:48 AM »
Do you know what I smell? .....Bullshit!
People who think they have all the answers (and especially if they can quote them in bold type), who are having a self congratulation party by stroking their egos because they are so insecure in their own belief bubble.

Doesn't matter how you you dress it up...you will still be the one who got it wrong (did anyone mention gravity and heavy spacesuits?  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)  )

Hardly suprising can hardly escape standing by yourself, can you? :)
Just keep that Bullsh*t upwind with yourself.

Pity you don't read everything written. Catch up is something you will always be playing and how to remove your foot from your mouth...  :)
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Sassy

« Reply #11059 on: March 10, 2016, 09:14:08 AM »
Forgiveness for being what God made us.  ::)

It really is a very silly idea. God makes us so we can't be perfect, then blames us for not being and then offers to forgive us if (and only if) we accept this utterly daft story.

I suppose if you robbed a bank you would find someone else to blame.
Adam first to blame someone else. Seems a trait most  men cannot resist copying.

King James Bible
And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.

If someone gave you poison to drink would you drink it?

Seems to me atheists cannot take responsibility for their own actions. Is it any wonder the blame everyone but themselves?

We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #11060 on: March 10, 2016, 09:17:58 AM »

If someone gave you poison to drink would you drink it?

If someone gave you a cup of coffee/tea would you drink it?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Sassy

« Reply #11061 on: March 10, 2016, 09:18:09 AM »
This god of yours should be blaming itself for doing such a bad job of making us, then.

Why? where are you forced to anything but your own free will.  He didn't make a bad job of making anything.
In fact there was no error. You get to choose what you believe as well as how you behave.
Seems you are hell bent on blaming everything and everyone but yourself for your own mistakes.
Tell me, do you live a perfect life. Do you never make mistakes? Seems you want to blame God for the way you are.
But if you do not believe in God, why are you not perfect?

Guess you have to take blame in the absence of you having any faith in God.

Sassy

« Reply #11062 on: March 10, 2016, 09:19:45 AM »
If someone gave you a cup of coffee/tea would you drink it?

Depends on who the someone is and if it was poisoned.
My question was clear... if someone gave you poison to drink would you drink it.
Adam knew what he was doing when he ate the fruit. Think on!

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #11063 on: March 10, 2016, 09:26:18 AM »

.....someone from whom you have accepted a drink from in the past -
how do you determine if it is poisoned or not?
Albert Einstein

Stranger

« Reply #11064 on: March 10, 2016, 09:46:10 AM »
Why? where are you forced to anything but your own free will.  He didn't make a bad job of making anything.
In fact there was no error. You get to choose what you believe as well as how you behave.
Seems you are hell bent on blaming everything and everyone but yourself for your own mistakes.
Tell me, do you live a perfect life. Do you never make mistakes? Seems you want to blame God for the way you are.
But if you do not believe in God, why are you not perfect?

Guess you have to take blame in the absence of you having any faith in God.

Wow, I see your incoherent rants haven't got any better in the time I've been away...

Firstly, I don't feel the need to blame anybody for the way I am - I'm just pointing out the absurdity of the Christian story.

Secondly, the notion of free will in the presence of an omnipotent, omniscient creator god is ridiculous.

Thirdly, even if it wasn't, a failure rate of 100% is not indicative of any kind of free choice. More like a design flaw...

floo

« Reply #11065 on: March 10, 2016, 10:14:33 AM »
My question was clear... if someone gave you poison to drink would you drink it.
Adam knew what he was doing when he ate the fruit. Think on!

Sticking two  fingers up to the evil deity who wanted to keep them in ignorance of its crimes! Good for Adam!

ippy

« Reply #11066 on: March 10, 2016, 10:45:58 AM »
It might be better for you Sass to leave this thread although the subject isn't one of the deepest subjects discussed here on this forum but it's a subject that's obviously beyond you.

I noticed that you've tried to cut out the assertions and I couldn't help noting that you would probably burst if you were prevented from doing so; I see you're asserting at full blast again.

ippy

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #11067 on: March 10, 2016, 03:59:03 PM »
Going off at a tangent (& most of us, including me, believe the story of Adam and Eve to be allegorical), it has always struck me that Eve gets most of the blame, for being a temptress.  Yet according to the story, Satan spent a long time wearing her down, he was very convincing.  When she offered the 'fruit' to Adam - he just said, "Alright''.  Speaks volumes!
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Alan Burns

« Reply #11068 on: March 10, 2016, 04:16:56 PM »
Going off at a tangent (& most of us, including me, believe the story of Adam and Eve to be allegorical), it has always struck me that Eve gets most of the blame, for being a temptress.  Yet according to the story, Satan spent a long time wearing her down, he was very convincing.  When she offered the 'fruit' to Adam - he just said, "Alright''.  Speaks volumes!
I agree, this story does speak volumes about human nature
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #11069 on: March 10, 2016, 04:22:06 PM »

To be fair, if my wife says here's a tasty apple I would be far more likely.to go, 'Thanks hon' than of a serpent suddenly went 'Go scrumping!'

Alan Burns

« Reply #11070 on: March 10, 2016, 04:24:21 PM »
the notion of free will in the presence of an omnipotent, omniscient creator god is ridiculous.

I do not see why.
It is generally accepted that any evolutionary process could not create an entity with free will because it would be built upon the deterministic properties of material.
Anything which has true free will, unconstrained by material determinism, would have to come from a source which itself has free will.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #11071 on: March 10, 2016, 04:28:16 PM »
I do not see why.
It is generally accepted that any evolutionary process could not create an entity with free will because it would be built upon the deterministic properties of material.
Anything which has true free will, unconstrained by material determinism, would have to come from a source which itself has free will.

Actually it isn't generally accepted because the very definition of free will is difficult. You have had this explained and discussed in detail here so is it that you really don't understand it or are you actually as it appears to some, lying?

As for omniscience, it precludes free will. And as for your god having free will, whatever that could mean, could your god act in any other way than you think it has?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 04:37:59 PM by Nearly Sane »

Alan Burns

« Reply #11072 on: March 10, 2016, 04:38:00 PM »

As for omniscience, it precludes free will.
No it does not.
It is generally understood that God exists in a timeless dimension which is beyond our understanding.  So although God can be aware of everything we do from this timeless dimension, it still allows people to exercise their free will.  God can see the finished painting of our lives, but it is we who do the brush strokes.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #11073 on: March 10, 2016, 04:43:33 PM »
No it does not.
It is generally understood that God exists in a timeless dimension which is beyond our understanding.  So although God can be aware of everything we do from this timeless dimension, it still allows people to exercise their free will.  God can see the finished painting of our lives, but it is we who do the brush strokes.

Interesting that you cut out the first part of the post covering the possibility of you lying. Feels a bit dishonest to me.

As to your 'explanation' if your god is omniscient, then everything we do would be known and could be no other way.

Stranger

« Reply #11074 on: March 10, 2016, 04:50:52 PM »

No, it isn't. There isn't even a generally accepted definition of free will and the way most people think of it is contradictory.

The word "material" is irrelevant. Either our method of making decisions is deterministic or it isn't. To the extent that it isn't, it is random (which is the only other option). I'm not sure about you but I wouldn't regard a random element in my "free" choices would make them any more free.

In order for a decision to be truly mine, it should be determined by who I am. Who I am, of course, is determined by what I was initially and my subsequent experience. An omnipotent and omniscient creator would have control over both of those and hence all my decisions.

Note that whether I consider myself as entirely physical or I think I have some sort of soul makes no difference at all to the logic.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 04:54:30 PM by Some Kind of Stranger »