Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3755072 times)

Shaker

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #11475 on: March 19, 2016, 07:36:58 PM »
would it be so difficult just to accept Alan believes in something different?
For myself, absolutely not at all, not one bit.

Alan doesn't see it as just a matter of belief though does he?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Bubbles

« Reply #11476 on: March 19, 2016, 07:45:25 PM »
For myself, absolutely not at all, not one bit.

Alan doesn't see it as just a matter of belief though does he?

People very often don't see it as just belief, though.

They want you to share it, sometimes you just can't 🌹

Bubbles

« Reply #11477 on: March 19, 2016, 07:48:07 PM »
What makes you think I don't accept it?

Perhaps it's how I read your posts, you just sound a bit cross.

Alan hasn't said that much really, just giving his own viewpoint.

He isn't TW, who is a lot more ......... unsubtle. ( perhaps I'm being unfair to TW, but he seems to come out with a lot  more " wind up" statements)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 07:50:26 PM by Rose »

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #11478 on: March 19, 2016, 11:21:00 PM »
Jesus loves me—this I know,
For the Bible tells me so;
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Rhiannon

« Reply #11479 on: March 19, 2016, 11:25:04 PM »

Ok, this is a wind-up, right?

Rhiannon

« Reply #11480 on: March 19, 2016, 11:28:59 PM »

He isn't TW, who is a lot more ......... unsubtle. ( perhaps I'm being unfair to TW, but he seems to come out with a lot  more " wind up" statements)

It isn't Alan's beliefs that is the problem. Not that I'm cross exactly. Exasperated, frequently.

Sassy

« Reply #11481 on: March 20, 2016, 08:46:37 AM »
I have to say that you vastly underestimate the power of prayer coupled with reading the scriptures.

You vastly underestimate how pathetic that sounds.

Yet your reply proves what is taught is true about atheists and pagans. 

King James Bible
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

King James Version
Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Of course it sounds pathetic and foolish to those who perish. But in truth the believer sees God answer those prayers and they know and expect what others will answer. To have hope in God and to be able to know he loves us and cares is priceless and none of mans wisdom can give you the peace and hope the truth about God does.

I am sure that the futileness of no belief makes one angry and annoyed in the light of faith and hope in others.

Hosea Chapter 14.
God calls his chosen to return to him and repent.

9 Who is wise, and he shall understand these things? prudent, and he shall know them? for the ways of the Lord are right, and the just shall walk in them: but the transgressors shall fall therein.

The word of God is a sure and strong way for those who love truth and others.  God always willing to forgive and guide us in his truth. Amen.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Sassy

« Reply #11482 on: March 20, 2016, 08:49:25 AM »
I can't say that I'm seeing a tremendous amount of evidence of this alleged power over on the prayer thread :(

So LAURA not evidence of the power of Prayer?
In heaven they rejoice over just one sinner saved. Because the truth is that God is not a respector of persons.
All are his creation his sons and daughters.  I believe many forget to thank God. But God does not heal and leave us.
He remains with us and carries on with us. Sometimes healing is instant and other times an ongoing progress.
But Gods words come to pass in the end.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein

floo

« Reply #11483 on: March 20, 2016, 08:49:50 AM »
Your 'truth' isn't that of others, Sass.

Sassy

« Reply #11484 on: March 20, 2016, 09:15:11 AM »
Your 'truth' isn't that of others, Sass.

Tell me what Christian does not believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God and died for our sins and God raised him from the dead.

Seems your truth is the truth which is not in agreement with what truth for the believer is.

floo

« Reply #11485 on: March 20, 2016, 10:29:35 AM »
Tell me what Christian does not believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God and died for our sins and God raised him from the dead.

Seems your truth is the truth which is not in agreement with what truth for the believer is.

I don't think all Christians believe in the resurrection, I have come across some who don't!

Shaker

« Reply #11486 on: March 20, 2016, 12:13:28 PM »
I don't think all Christians believe in the resurrection, I have come across some who don't!
They all believe in it but it depends on what you mean by believe in - very liberal Christians of the non-realist variety (Don Cupitt et. al.) take it symbolically and metaphorically rather than literally.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

floo

« Reply #11487 on: March 20, 2016, 12:16:24 PM »
They all believe in it but it depends on what you mean by believe in - very liberal Christians of the non-realist variety (Don Cupitt et. al.) take it symbolically and metaphorically rather than literally.

Yes that is the point I was making.

ippy

« Reply #11488 on: March 20, 2016, 02:04:40 PM »
And God the kind of omnipotent deity who only helps those in its club. Or at the very least only those that stroke its ego by begging for help. Those of us that don't pray can go whistle apparently.

Believe me Rhi, you have no idea how close to home that was for my wife and I, the details we have put behind us as water under the bridge, thus one so called atheist that has no time for the collective stupidity of holding any irrational, mystical, belief based on assumed acts of magic and superstition.

ippy 

ippy

« Reply #11489 on: March 20, 2016, 02:09:32 PM »

Ever heard about, as two short planks Rose, ~TW~.

Just ignore him.

ippy

ippy

« Reply #11490 on: March 20, 2016, 02:10:42 PM »

Yet your reply proves what is taught is true about atheists and pagans. 

King James Bible
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Of course it sounds pathetic and foolish to those who perish. But in truth the believer sees God answer those prayers and they know and expect what others will answer. To have hope in God and to be able to know he loves us and cares is priceless and none of mans wisdom can give you the peace and hope the truth about God does.

I am sure that the futileness of no belief makes one angry and annoyed in the light of faith and hope in others.

Hosea Chapter 14.
God calls his chosen to return to him and repent.

9 Who is wise, and he shall understand these things? prudent, and he shall know them? for the ways of the Lord are right, and the just shall walk in them: but the transgressors shall fall therein.

The word of God is a sure and strong way for those who love truth and others.  God always willing to forgive and guide us in his truth. Amen.

How do you know Sass?

ippy

ippy

« Reply #11491 on: March 20, 2016, 02:11:55 PM »
So LAURA not evidence of the power of Prayer?
In heaven they rejoice over just one sinner saved. Because the truth is that God is not a respector of persons.
All are his creation his sons and daughters.  I believe many forget to thank God. But God does not heal and leave us.
He remains with us and carries on with us. Sometimes healing is instant and other times an ongoing progress.
But Gods words come to pass in the end.

How can you or anyone else possibly know Sass.

ippy
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 02:16:24 PM by ippy »

ippy

« Reply #11492 on: March 20, 2016, 02:15:09 PM »

Sass, believing something is the truth is just slightly different to knowing something is actually the truth, you don't seem to have grasped this rather simple fact, yet.

ippy

OH MY WORLD!

• Just between you me and a monkey sitting on a rock
« Reply #11493 on: March 20, 2016, 04:43:08 PM »
True or not Dicky Dawkins believes in the possibility that we were created by a more intelligent, superhuman, god-like civilization. Well beam me up ippy!! NO shred of EVIDENCE!

ippy

« Reply #11494 on: March 20, 2016, 04:51:06 PM »
True or not Dicky Dawkins believes in the possibility that we were created by a more intelligent, superhuman, god-like civilization. Well beam me up ippy!! NO shred of EVIDENCE!

Woody I couldn't help noting that you're easing up on Star Trek, have I acquired a convert?

ippy

floo

« Reply #11495 on: March 20, 2016, 04:51:48 PM »
Sass, believing something is the truth is just slightly different to knowing something is actually the truth, you don't seem to have grasped this rather simple fact, yet.

ippy

It is Sass you are talking about, you expect too much. ;D

Ricky Spanish

« Reply #11496 on: March 20, 2016, 06:16:24 PM »

Ahhh Solid evidence of Childhood Indoctrination at work....
UNDERSTAND - I MAKE OPINIONS. IF YOUR ARGUMENTS MAKE ME QUESTION MY OPINION THEN I WILL CONSIDER THEM.

Rhiannon

« Reply #11497 on: March 20, 2016, 06:23:46 PM »
Ahhh Solid evidence of Childhood Indoctrination at work....

That and not quite growing up.

ippy

« Reply #11498 on: March 20, 2016, 07:49:48 PM »
It is Sass you are talking about, you expect too much. ;D

Hi there Floo, I just thought I might appeal to her sense of fair play and even handedness, any answer from her should be interesting, you never know Floo, (that rhyms), have faith.

ippy

Sassy

« Reply #11499 on: March 21, 2016, 09:32:17 AM »

Just when you think an answer can't get any more ignorant of the facts.
King James Bible
And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.

There is no Christianity and they no one can be a Christian if Christ did not rise from the dead.
Are you sure they were Christians or did you make it up?