Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3754643 times)

Shaker

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #11550 on: March 22, 2016, 10:51:52 AM »
It is a famous quote from Karl Barth, described as one of the greatest Christian theologians of the 20th century
... by Mrs Barth.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Enki

« Reply #11551 on: March 22, 2016, 11:43:51 AM »
My anger is certainly aimed at the one who does the hiding, but it is not God.

Is this anger of yours aimed at those who hide from a God in which they actually believe, or is it directed towards those who have no belief in your God whatever? If it's the former, then compassion might be a better emotion to have. If it's the latter, then an attitude of respect and humility rather than anger might not come amiss. Either way, perhaps anger management classes might be helpful here. :)
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

ippy

« Reply #11552 on: March 22, 2016, 11:59:13 AM »
Is this anger of yours aimed at those who hide from a God in which they actually believe, or is it directed towards those who have no belief in your God whatever? If it's the former, then compassion might be a better emotion to have. If it's the latter, then an attitude of respect and humility rather than anger might not come amiss. Either way, perhaps anger management classes might be helpful here. :)

Good point enki, the quakers seem to have the approach you're talking of, they always, it seems to me, do their best to be really good eggs and in the manner you describe.

ippy

ippy

« Reply #11553 on: March 22, 2016, 12:09:48 PM »
You appear to be waiting for the second coming of Jesus in all His Glory.  But are you aware that by then it will be too late to be saved?

You really are a silly sod Alan, now go find your A board and get up to that high street again, nice sunny day,  not much wind so you can have the overhead board up today without getting blown over.

ippy

wigginhall

« Reply #11554 on: March 22, 2016, 12:46:43 PM »
But by eliminating evil God would also take away the gift of free will, which would turn us all into puppets.  Free will gives us the ability to choose to follow God, or reject Him.  Evil is an inevitable consequence of consciously rejecting God and His love.  Many of us are victims of this evil because God's love has been hidden from us, which is why we need Jesus.

But it's the element of retaliation which I find distasteful.   Plenty of people are indifferent to God and Christianity.  OK, since God is completely good, he would love them, and want the best for them.   There is no need to punish them at all, and it's this punishment which we seem to need protection from.   We need God - to protect us from God! 
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #11555 on: March 22, 2016, 01:00:44 PM »
But by eliminating evil God would also take away the gift of free will, which would turn us all into puppets.  Free will gives us the ability to choose to follow God, or reject Him.

As I've said before; while free will can be made to make some sense from a human point of view, it can be nothing but fiction from the point of view of an omnipotent, omniscient creator of everything. Using it as an excuse for evil is a logical absurdity.

If there is such a god - we are necessarily, from its point of view, either puppets or at the mercy of god-given randomness - in either case, for this god to blame us for our actions would be a grotesque absurdity.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Shaker

« Reply #11556 on: March 22, 2016, 01:18:50 PM »
But it's the element of retaliation which I find distasteful.   Plenty of people are indifferent to God and Christianity.  OK, since God is completely good, he would love them, and want the best for them.   There is no need to punish them at all, and it's this punishment which we seem to need protection from.   We need God - to protect us from God!

https://goo.gl/ifySwH
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #11557 on: March 22, 2016, 03:08:33 PM »
God could eliminate the Devil and his evil ways and still give humans free will.
I would suspect that this is easier said than done.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

torridon

« Reply #11558 on: March 22, 2016, 03:10:44 PM »

Well if its too difficult for God to eliminate the Devil, we can't really call him omnipotent then.  Just a bit more potent than average perhaps.

Alan Burns

« Reply #11559 on: March 22, 2016, 03:11:09 PM »
No - We need God to protect us from evil.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Shaker

« Reply #11560 on: March 22, 2016, 03:12:13 PM »
No - We need God to protect us from evil.
A question I've asked of you many times before: on the whole how do you think this is panning out?

Alan Burns

« Reply #11561 on: March 22, 2016, 03:13:29 PM »
Is this anger of yours aimed at those who hide from a God ...
I you read my post, the anger is directed at the one who hides God from us.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 04:43:49 PM by Alan Burns »

Shaker

« Reply #11562 on: March 22, 2016, 03:13:37 PM »
Not to an omnipotent entity it isn't. Nothing is easier said than done in that case.

Or perhaps you don't believe in such a god.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 03:17:52 PM by Shaker »

Shaker

« Reply #11563 on: March 22, 2016, 03:14:24 PM »
I you read my most, the anger is directed at the one who hides God from us.
... who in doing so appears to be more powerful than God.

Rhiannon

« Reply #11564 on: March 22, 2016, 03:18:00 PM »

Your god's a bit rubbish then.

Alan Burns

« Reply #11565 on: March 22, 2016, 03:19:09 PM »

If there is such a god - we are necessarily, from its point of view, either puppets or at the mercy of god-given randomness -
You do not seem able to grasp the fact that we have the ability to freely choose God as our saviour from evil.

We have been given the capacity to love, which necessitates the ability to freely choose to give that love.

Love is not derived from puppets and it is certainly not random.

Shaker

« Reply #11566 on: March 22, 2016, 03:22:53 PM »
You do not seem able to grasp the fact that we have the ability to freely choose God as our saviour from evil.
It isn't a fact but your assertion (again).

Alan Burns

« Reply #11567 on: March 22, 2016, 03:24:57 PM »
It isn't a fact but your assertion (again).
Is it not a fact that I have freely chosen to accept Jesus as my saviour?

Shaker

« Reply #11568 on: March 22, 2016, 03:25:38 PM »
Is it? Is this demonstrable as a fact?

Alan Burns

« Reply #11569 on: March 22, 2016, 03:30:22 PM »
Is it? Is this demonstrable as a fact?
I freely choose to rest my case  :)

Shaker

« Reply #11570 on: March 22, 2016, 03:32:20 PM »
You haven't made any case to rest! ::)
Quite.

ippy

« Reply #11571 on: March 22, 2016, 03:45:12 PM »

On reading posts of your Alan they make me wonder how people with beliefs like yours are still able to function and deal with all of the knowledge we're gaining every day, and still manage to hang on to these regressive ideas, like this devil idea of yours?

Don't you ever have a moment of contemplation and now and again and perhaps see a bit of light that might, if you're lucky, prompt you to go and see somebody about your line of thought, perhaps a bit of mild therapy? Only your posts aren't really making a lot of sense at the moment.

ippy

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #11572 on: March 22, 2016, 03:50:26 PM »
If there is such a god - we are necessarily, from its point of view, either puppets or at the mercy of god-given randomness -

You do not seem able to grasp that this is a logical impossibility from the point of view of a being who has had effective control over all of our nature and all of our nurture - there is nothing left to use in making a choice - except randomness.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Shaker

« Reply #11573 on: March 22, 2016, 03:51:06 PM »
I wonder if AB is having some sort of faith crisis, and he is really trying to persuade himself rather than others of the validity of his beliefs?
Just a couple of days ago: http://goo.gl/LiSgyw

floo

« Reply #11574 on: March 22, 2016, 03:52:21 PM »