Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3754493 times)

Shaker

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #11575 on: March 22, 2016, 04:00:40 PM »
OK, basically Rhiannon also opined that certain people act as though they're not really trying to convince other people of the rightness of their beliefs, but themselves.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

floo

« Reply #11576 on: March 22, 2016, 04:01:21 PM »
OK, basically Rhiannon also opined that certain people act as though they're not really trying to convince other people of the rightness of their beliefs, but themselves.

OK

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #11577 on: March 22, 2016, 04:01:36 PM »
I wonder if AB is having some sort of faith crisis
My faith grows stronger every day, Floo
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Alan Burns

« Reply #11578 on: March 22, 2016, 04:03:48 PM »
You do not seem able to grasp the fact that we have the ability to freely choose God as our saviour from evil.

You do not seem able to grasp that this is a logical impossibility from the point of view of a being who has had effective control over all of our nature and all of our nurture - there is nothing left to use in making a choice - except randomness.
God has delegated the power to control.  He does not control the human soul - we do.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

ippy

« Reply #11579 on: March 22, 2016, 04:05:23 PM »
My faith grows stronger every day, Floo

I suppose Alan the ones you think of as atheists, we're all being directed by the devil?

ippy

Shaker

« Reply #11580 on: March 22, 2016, 04:09:29 PM »
I suppose Alan the ones you think of as atheists, we're all being directed by the devil?

ippy
He's said as much.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

ippy

« Reply #11581 on: March 22, 2016, 04:18:06 PM »
He's said as much.

I just thought his answer to this one, if I get one, would be interesting.

You're right about that Shakes let's see what his answer might be.

ippy

Enki

« Reply #11582 on: March 22, 2016, 04:28:09 PM »
I you read my most, the anger is directed at the one who hides God from us.

I think you mean "If you read my post", but no matter.   If it is your belief that there is a Devil, then he must be one of those who actually believes that God exists, surely. So, compassion, as I said, rather than anger, just might be a better approach. :)
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

ekim

« Reply #11583 on: March 22, 2016, 04:39:25 PM »
I think you mean "If you read my post", but no matter.   If it is your belief that there is a Devil, then he must be one of those who actually believes that God exists, surely. So, compassion, as I said, rather than anger, just might be a better approach. :)

.... or turn the other cheek?

Alan Burns

« Reply #11584 on: March 22, 2016, 04:40:01 PM »

ippy
No - you have the power to direct yourself.  As we all have.

ippy

« Reply #11585 on: March 22, 2016, 04:50:31 PM »
I was looking into the rather obvious bias the BBC has for religion some about four years or more ago and found that Dr Dorothy Rowe the clinical psychologist well known international broadcaster about her works had been making some programmes for the BBC and one them had been doctored by them to say the complete opposite of the things she was expressing,I don't know but, it might still be out there about this episode she had with the BBC, perhaps Wikki might still have something.

Anyway she like most people of her trade aren't religious believers in fact I remember her saying in one of her broadcasts that in one way she quite liked religions because she got most of her work dealing with people';s religious belief problems and earned a good living in the process.

Have a think about it Alan see if you can contact someone, if not Dorothy, someone similarly qualified, it might help, you never know?

ippy   

Alan Burns

« Reply #11586 on: March 22, 2016, 04:52:10 PM »
If it is your belief that there is a Devil, then he must be one of those who actually believes that God exists, surely. So, compassion, as I said, rather than anger, just might be a better approach. :)
Are you suggesting that I should show compassion to Satan?  ???

Alan Burns

« Reply #11587 on: March 22, 2016, 04:56:07 PM »

Have a think about it Alan see if you can contact someone, if not Dorothy, someone similarly qualified, it might help, you never know?

ippy
Faith is the most precious gift that anyone can possess.

ippy

« Reply #11588 on: March 22, 2016, 05:06:21 PM »
No - you have the power to direct yourself.  As we all have.

Have you ever noticed perhaps a turn of the head or a slight flicker of expression in anyone's face when you may have mentioned this devil belief of yours if you have, assuming you have don't you think there might be something there inside your head that might need some attention, something a Dorothy Rowe type of person might be able to help you to sort it out?

I get that look or certain type of turn of head, when I pretend to believe in Star Trek and say something silly about it, the difference between you and me Alan, I'm having a bit of fun about S T, you're being serious about the devil, well sadly at least it looks that way, if not it's a brilliant wind up.

ippy

ippy

« Reply #11589 on: March 22, 2016, 05:09:42 PM »

Only in your opinion, there's nothing to back up this assertion of yours Alan.

ippy

P S. I forgot to mention, you may already know, but the only difference between a clinical psychologist and a psychiatrist is that a psychiatrist has been to medical school and is a qualified medical practitioner before going on to become a psychiatrist and can prescribe medicines and drugs where as a clinical psychologist, no MD so  is unable to hand out prescriptions, that's all. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 05:19:16 PM by ippy »

Enki

« Reply #11590 on: March 22, 2016, 05:09:54 PM »
Are you suggesting that I should show compassion to Satan?  ???

Indeed. According to you, he was created by your God, and therefore God should take  full responsibility for everything that he does. Hence He should show compassion towards him, and you should follow your God's lead and do the same.
 :)
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

OH MY WORLD!

• Just between you me and a monkey sitting on a rock
« Reply #11591 on: March 22, 2016, 05:10:24 PM »
Hey cartoon ippy,
I don't think you should be suggesting others see a psycho. Your the one that has taken a great atheist leap of faith on the existence of Klingons but you are not alone out there. That Dicky Dawkins describes the superhuman god-like beings that created us. Well beam me up Scotty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgMjV3Yse3U

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #11592 on: March 22, 2016, 05:10:27 PM »
God has delegated the power to control.  He does not control the human soul - we do.

Yes we do, but, if there is an omnipotent and omniscient creator, then inevitably we are what it made us (via our initial state and subsequent experiences; nature and nurture) and who we are determines any decision we make (to the extent that it isn't truly random).

Understand also, that it makes not a jot of difference to the above reasoning if you think we have a soul or not - we will still have had an initial state and subsequent experiences and they are the only things that can determine who we are (except randomness).
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Alan Burns

« Reply #11593 on: March 22, 2016, 05:12:29 PM »
Have you ever noticed perhaps a turn of the head or a slight flicker of expression in anyone's face when you may have mentioned this devil belief of yours if you have, assuming you have don't you think there might be something there inside your head that might need some attention, something a Dorothy Rowe type of person might be able to help you to sort it out?

I get that look or certain type of turn of head, when I pretend to believe in Star Trek and say something silly about it, the difference between you and me Alan, I'm having a bit of fun about S T, you're being serious about the devil, well sadly at least it looks that way, if not it's a brilliant wind up.

ippy
Belief in Satan is just as much a part of Christianity as belief in God.

In the service of Baptism, one of the baptismal vows taken on behalf of the one being baptised is:

Do you reject Satan and all his false promises?
Answer: I do.

Enki

« Reply #11594 on: March 22, 2016, 05:13:08 PM »

I thought it was happiness:

"Happiness, happiness, the greatest gift that I possess"

Via Ken Dodd.
Steven Wright

Alan Burns

« Reply #11595 on: March 22, 2016, 05:16:31 PM »
I thought it was happiness:

"Happiness, happiness, the greatest gift that I possess"

Via Ken Dodd.
and the next line is:

"I thank the Lord that I possess more than my share of happiness"

Alan Burns

« Reply #11596 on: March 22, 2016, 05:21:20 PM »
Yes we do, but, if there is an omnipotent and omniscient creator, then inevitably we are what it made us (via our initial state and subsequent experiences; nature and nurture) and who we are determines any decision we make (to the extent that it isn't truly random).

The bible tells us that we are made in God's image.  Which I would assume infers that God has given us the power to interact, rather than just react with the events in this universe.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #11597 on: March 22, 2016, 05:21:58 PM »
That Dicky Dawkins describes the superhuman god-like beings that created us.

Another theist obsessed with Dawkins.     ::)
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

ippy

« Reply #11598 on: March 22, 2016, 05:23:09 PM »
Hey cartoon ippy,
I don't think you should be suggesting others see a psycho. Your the one that has taken a great atheist leap of faith on the existence of Klingons but you are not alone out there. That Dicky Dawkins describes the superhuman god-like beings that created us. Well beam me up Scotty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgMjV3Yse3U

Woody, does this mean you're trying to plant nasturtiums on my affiliation with Star Trek?

ippy

Got you mixed up with Vlad Woody, mind you?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 05:35:50 PM by ippy »

ippy

« Reply #11599 on: March 22, 2016, 05:32:54 PM »
Belief in Satan is just as much a part of Christianity as belief in God.

In the service of Baptism, one of the baptismal vows taken on behalf of the one being baptised is:

Do you reject Satan and all his false promises?
Answer: I do.

Is that meant to make this belief in any way less of a nut job belief? And you're unable to consign that obvious historical nonsense to the wast bin of lost causes.

Wouldn't your wonderful god want you to use your brain, with a touch of common sense? think about it, there must be more heavenly brownie points if you do.

ippy