Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3755057 times)

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #11675 on: March 23, 2016, 10:54:00 AM »
You know that details in the Nativity stories were put there to give them the appearance of fulfilling OT prophecy, right, Sass?
What you assert is mere speculation.  There is no way to confirm this.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Leonard James

« Reply #11676 on: March 23, 2016, 10:55:54 AM »

Just like most of the stuff in the Bible.

Bubbles

« Reply #11677 on: March 23, 2016, 10:56:10 AM »
Since we can't even, on any level (philosophy/physics/whatever), say this about colour, how can you claim it about God?

Lots of people perceive purple/blue as a spiritual colour.

Or in this case violet

http://www.empower-yourself-with-color-psychology.com/color-purple.html

So you can do it with colour  ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:58:12 AM by Rose »

Sassy

« Reply #11678 on: March 23, 2016, 10:56:51 AM »
Since you cant establish that there is evidence that would support that the words in the bible are gods own or inspired by it, why don't you get the proof first and then it might be worth having a discussion about who said what whom, so really without any supporting evidence, as it is at the moment, why bother Sass?
Now "Star Trek"?

ippy

For someone who claims there is no god. You ask ridiculous questions Ippy. :)

Psalms
Chapter 12
1 (To the chief Musician upon Sheminith, A Psalm of David.) Help, LORD; for the godly man ceaseth; for the faithful fail from among the children of men.
2 They speak vanity every one with his neighbour: with flattering lips and with a double heart do they speak.
3 The LORD shall cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things:
4 Who have said, With our tongue will we prevail; our lips are our own: who is lord over us?
5 For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now will I arise, saith the LORD; I will set him in safety from him that puffeth at him.
6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

8 The wicked walk on every side, when the vilest men are exalted.

Deuteronomy 8:3New King James Version (NKJV)

3 So He humbled you, allowed you to hunger, and fed you with manna which you did not know nor did your fathers know, that He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord.

Do you think it chance that Christ uttered these words to the devil?
Luke 4:4
King James Bible
And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

Christ the example that every believer lives by every word of God.
Preserved for ever and the example is clear why they are preserved forever.
The Jews learned the Torah off by heart and the teachings are seen in the disciples when they remember when witnessing what Christ says and does, from the writings of the Prophets.

Ultimately...God is true and therefore whilst God, the Father, The Son of God and the Holy Spirit exist,  then so will his word endure forever.

You see the teaching of the bible is God wants a personal relationship with mankind. He has proved this in all his actions.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Shaker

« Reply #11679 on: March 23, 2016, 10:58:50 AM »
*speechless* ...
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Bubbles

« Reply #11680 on: March 23, 2016, 10:59:35 AM »
*speechless* ...

That's a first  :-X ;)

ippy

« Reply #11681 on: March 23, 2016, 11:00:08 AM »
I know of many other Christians who perceive the same God.

Then they should go to see someone too.

ippy

Leonard James

« Reply #11682 on: March 23, 2016, 11:00:35 AM »

Psalms
Chapter 12
1 (To the chief Musician upon Sheminith, A Psalm of David.) Help, LORD; for the godly man ceaseth; for the faithful fail from among the children of men.
2 They speak vanity every one with his neighbour: with flattering lips and with a double heart do they speak.
3 The LORD shall cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things:
4 Who have said, With our tongue will we prevail; our lips are our own: who is lord over us?
5 For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now will I arise, saith the LORD; I will set him in safety from him that puffeth at him.
6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

3 So He humbled you, allowed you to hunger, and fed you with manna which you did not know nor did your fathers know, that He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord.

King James Bible
And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

The Jews learned the Torah off by heart and the teachings are seen in the disciples when they remember when witnessing what Christ says and does, from the writings of the Prophets.

Ultimately...God is true and therefore whilst God, the Father, The Son of God and the Holy Spirit exist,  then so will his word endure forever.

You see the teaching of the bible is God wants a personal relationship with mankind. He has proved this in all his actions.

Take up knitting, Sass ... it would be more useful to you than regurgitating all this bullshit.

Alan Burns

« Reply #11683 on: March 23, 2016, 11:02:31 AM »
Or have built a similar one in their own minds.

You do understand that many, many people make similar claims about 'knowing' a different god to yours, don't you?

What do you think about them?
Yes, many people seek the truth, and many claim to have found it.

But there can only be one truth.

I have deduced what I profoundly believe to be the truth, and nothing I have come across in my lifetime, (including the posts on this forum), has come close to changing this belief.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 11:05:31 AM by Alan Burns »
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Bubbles

« Reply #11684 on: March 23, 2016, 11:06:04 AM »
Take up knitting, Sass ... it would be more useful to you than regurgitating all this bullshit.

Do you really not see any truths whatsoever in the bible?

Not even one?

:o

BeRational

« Reply #11685 on: March 23, 2016, 11:06:49 AM »

I have deduced what I profoundly believe to be the truth, and nothing I have come across in my lifetime, (including the posts on this forum), has come close to changing this belief.

That says a lot about your ability to reason, and nothing about the existence of a god.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Leonard James

« Reply #11686 on: March 23, 2016, 11:09:26 AM »
Do you really not see any truths whatsoever in the bible?

Not even one?

:o

Why ask me such a daft question, Rose?  :(

You know perfectly well that I have posted many times that the Bible contains a little good advice, a little true history, and a load of bullshit.

SusanDoris

« Reply #11687 on: March 23, 2016, 11:10:58 AM »
That's the second time today when the last post I've read is one of AB's.  It's like being trapped in candyfloss, or stuck in treacle!! :D

It was #12118, but by the time I posted there were a few more!!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 11:13:59 AM by SusanDoris »
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Leonard James

« Reply #11688 on: March 23, 2016, 11:11:47 AM »

If you weren't happily married, Alan, (my assumption), Sass would be the perfect partner for you.  ;)

Alan Burns

« Reply #11689 on: March 23, 2016, 11:12:53 AM »
That says a lot about your ability to reason, and nothing about the existence of a god.
You are implying that an ability to reason would lead a person to not believe in God, yet there are many very intelligent Christians whose ability to reason does not hinder their faith.

ippy

« Reply #11690 on: March 23, 2016, 11:13:47 AM »

Psalms
Chapter 12

King James Bible

Nice post Sass, so you've found the evidence to support this what only amounts to a belief without evidence?

Only a half of the bible this time Sass you're slipping, once you have the evidence of course it would be a worthwhile subject for discussion and I wouldn't be what you call an atheist any more, so until you come up with the necessary have a word with Hope he reckons he has the evidence you need Sass.

Assertions are pointless/meaningless without any evidence to back them up, I would have thought you could have worked that out by now?

ippy   

Bubbles

« Reply #11691 on: March 23, 2016, 11:13:56 AM »
Why ask me such a daft question, Rose?  :(

You know perfectly well that I have posted many times that the Bible contains a little good advice, a little true history, and a load of bullshit.

Just of late, you have come across as if you didn't think that.

But thanks for reminding me 🌹 :)

Leonard James

« Reply #11692 on: March 23, 2016, 11:14:26 AM »
That's the second time today when the last post I've read is one of AB's.  It's like being trapped in candyfloss, or stuck in treacle!! :D

We have to take our hats off to his diligence and persistence in the face of all odds, Susan.  :)

Bubbles

« Reply #11693 on: March 23, 2016, 11:16:28 AM »
Isn't it strange how there is only one truth, but it comes in lots of varieties?  ;D

:)

Leonard James

« Reply #11694 on: March 23, 2016, 11:18:02 AM »
Just of late, you have come across as if you didn't think that.

I confess that age is making me more crusty and less tolerant of foolish claims.  :(
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 11:35:04 AM by Leonard James »

Bubbles

« Reply #11695 on: March 23, 2016, 11:21:23 AM »
The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.”
― Joe Klaas, Twelve Steps to Happiness

Rhiannon

« Reply #11696 on: March 23, 2016, 11:22:06 AM »

Alan Burns

« Reply #11697 on: March 23, 2016, 11:23:56 AM »
If you weren't happily married, Alan, (my assumption), Sass would be the perfect partner for you.  ;)
I met my wonderful wife at a church seminar entitled "Life in the Spirit", which our priest advised would change one's life - and it profoundly did!

After we were married, I discovered that she was the niece of a missionary priest who I had personally supported in the past.  I suspect that her uncle's prayers in heaven may have helped to bring us together.  :)

floo

« Reply #11698 on: March 23, 2016, 11:24:20 AM »
Isn't it strange how there is only one truth, but it comes in lots of varieties?  ;D

:)

Very true. ;D

Bubbles

« Reply #11699 on: March 23, 2016, 11:25:51 AM »
I confess that age is making me more crusty and less tolerant of fools.  :(

🌹💐🍷

There is a saying, " you can't put an old head on new shoulders."

People make their own mistakes Len, I think as you get older you get less patient with forms of perceived  self destructive behaviour.

I think you see too much faith in a religion as essentially harmful.

I'm guessing, but I think you see it as restricting someone's life.