Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3755074 times)

Shaker

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #11700 on: March 23, 2016, 11:27:12 AM »
I met my wonderful wife at a church seminar entitled "Life in the Spirit", which our priest advised would change one's life - and it profoundly did!

After we were married, I discovered that she was the niece of a missionary priest who I had personally supported in the past.  I suspect that her uncle's prayers in heaven may have helped to bring us together.  :)
Nice that it always seems to be your own particular needs, wants, wishes and desires which are catered for, Alan.

I'm sure Becky's husband and children wish the same could be said of them.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

floo

« Reply #11701 on: March 23, 2016, 11:27:28 AM »
🌹💐🍷

There is a saying, " you can't put an old head on new shoulders."

People make their own mistakes Len, I think as you get older you get less patient with forms of self destructive behaviour.

I think you see too much faith in a religion as essentially harmful.

I'm guessing, but I think you see it as restricting someone's life.

Our Leonard is VERY, VERY, VERY OLD. ;D

torridon

« Reply #11702 on: March 23, 2016, 11:30:30 AM »
I know of many other Christians who perceive the same God.

and many muslims perceive a slightly different god; then we have the hindus and the rastafarians and the Mormons and the Sikhs and the animists and the pagans not to mention a bewildering array of minor or ancient religions. I don't think you've taken that on board yet.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #11703 on: March 23, 2016, 11:34:01 AM »
and many muslims perceive a slightly different god; then we have the hindus and the rastafarians and the Mormons and the Sikhs and the animists and the pagans not to mention a bewildering array of minor or ancient religions. I don't think you've taken that on board yet.
As I said in a previous post.

There can only be one truth.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Alan Burns

« Reply #11704 on: March 23, 2016, 11:36:09 AM »
Nice that it always seems to be your own particular needs, wants, wishes and desires which are catered for, Alan.

I'm sure Becky's husband and children wish the same could be said of them.
Andrew has his own witness stories which profoundly confirm his Christian faith.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Leonard James

« Reply #11705 on: March 23, 2016, 11:37:07 AM »
I met my wonderful wife at a church seminar entitled "Life in the Spirit", which our priest advised would change one's life - and it profoundly did!

After we were married, I discovered that she was the niece of a missionary priest who I had personally supported in the past.  I suspect that her uncle's prayers in heaven may have helped to bring us together.  :)

You seem ideally suited. Congratulations!

Shaker

« Reply #11706 on: March 23, 2016, 11:37:54 AM »
Andrew has his own witness stories which profoundly confirm his Christian faith.
Then his reasoning abilities sound about the same as yours, i.e. nonexistent.

Something I had already confirmed for myself via the e-mails of his which you post intermittently on the prayer thread, to be fair.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Alan Burns

« Reply #11707 on: March 23, 2016, 11:41:57 AM »
Then his reasoning abilities sound about the same as yours, i.e. nonexistent.

I can guarantee you would not say that if you met him.

Shaker

« Reply #11708 on: March 23, 2016, 11:42:10 AM »
I can guarantee you would not say that if you met him.
No you cannot.

Leonard James

« Reply #11709 on: March 23, 2016, 11:42:34 AM »
🌹💐🍷

There is a saying, " you can't put an old head on young shoulders."

People make their own mistakes Len, I think as you get older you get less patient with forms of perceived  self destructive behaviour.

I think you see too much faith in a religion as essentially harmful.

As it often proves to be.

I'm guessing, but I think you see it as restricting someone's life.

Yes, in the sense that it takes up brain space which could be more usefully employed.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #11710 on: March 23, 2016, 11:43:31 AM »
Yes, many people seek the truth, and many claim to have found it.

But there can only be one truth.

I have deduced what I profoundly believe to be the truth, and nothing I have come across in my lifetime, (including the posts on this forum), has come close to changing this belief.

Muslim -
Many people seek the truth, and many claim to have found it.
I have deduced what I profoundly believe to be the truth, and nothing I have come across in my lifetime, has come close to changing this belief.

Jew
I have deduced what I profoundly believe to be the truth, and nothing I have come across in my lifetime, has come close to changing this belief.

Sikh

::) ::) ::) ::)

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Leonard James

« Reply #11711 on: March 23, 2016, 11:46:05 AM »
Our Leonard is VERY, VERY, VERY OLD. ;D

Oy, you pack it in! I can give you a run for your money!  >:(

Except in bed, of course!  ;)

torridon

« Reply #11712 on: March 23, 2016, 11:53:17 AM »

And no doubt you think it's yours  :-\

Your god who claims to be good, but quietly creates evil in the form of the devil to mess things up; your god who claims to be all-loving but in reality only rewards his acolytes;  your god who claims to be available to everybody but in reality hides so that no objective trace of him can be found; your god who claims to be all-powerful, but in reality seems to be feeble compared to the devil;

If your god is The One Truth then I'm a pink flamingo

Bubbles

« Reply #11713 on: March 23, 2016, 11:55:24 AM »

And no doubt you think it's yours  :-\

Your god who claims to be good, but quietly creates evil in the form of the devil to mess things up; your god who claims to be all-loving but in reality only rewards his acolytes;  your god who claims to be available to everybody but in reality hides so that no objective trace of him can be found; your god who claims to be all-powerful, but in reality seems to be feeble compared to the devil;

If your god is The One Truth then I'm a pink flamingo

Ahhhh! I wondered why you were standing on one leg  ;)

wigginhall

« Reply #11714 on: March 23, 2016, 12:00:14 PM »
That's not love, that's carefully engineered favouritism.  It's rewarding your followers, and to hell with anybody who dares question assertions. This is a very tiny idea of love. Real love would do the best by everyone.

This is a fundamental problem in this kind of Christianity, and I don't think Alan dare grapple with it.   You are OK if you are saved, but what about all the others?   God loves everyone, yet some go to hell?  Of course, there is the usual finagling with 'you chose to reject God' and so on, but then why does God retaliate?
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #11715 on: March 23, 2016, 12:05:32 PM »
I have deduced what I profoundly believe to be the truth, and nothing I have come across in my lifetime, (including the posts on this forum), has come close to changing this belief.

Deduced? Please do share your reasoning....
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

ippy

« Reply #11716 on: March 23, 2016, 12:11:53 PM »

What a load of drivel, yuk.

ippy

Leonard James

« Reply #11717 on: March 23, 2016, 12:17:08 PM »
Ahhhh! I wondered why you were standing on one leg  ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

But what a beautiful leg! I don't think I could stand the strain of seeing both of them.  :)

torridon

« Reply #11718 on: March 23, 2016, 01:05:30 PM »
Calm down Len

Alan Burns

« Reply #11719 on: March 23, 2016, 02:27:45 PM »
Deduced? Please do share your reasoning....
I began to share my reasoning on this forum by showing that the human attributes of conscious self awareness and free will are evidence of the human soul and will never be fully defined by molecular activity in the brain.  We may well be able to create robots which can simulate human behaviour, but they will just be machines driven by scientifically determined events with no internal awareness or capacity for free will decisions.  Conscious awareness and free will choices can be correlated to brain activity, but correlation does not imply causation.  This universe began with a big explosion and will end with a gradual burning out of all energy, just like a big firework.  There were no entities of conscious awareness at the beginning, and there will be none at the end.  Evolution theory does not explain conscious awareness or free will capability because these attributes are not definable as material entities.

The religious concept of a non material soul, not of this universe, which will survive the death of our physical bodies fits in well with the above scenario.

You will find more detail in my previous posts which can be listed from my profile.

Alan Burns

« Reply #11720 on: March 23, 2016, 02:40:16 PM »
This is a fundamental problem in this kind of Christianity, and I don't think Alan dare grapple with it.   You are OK if you are saved, but what about all the others?   God loves everyone, yet some go to hell?  Of course, there is the usual finagling with 'you chose to reject God' and so on, but then why does God retaliate?
I would totally agree with your reasoning - if Satan did not exist.

wigginhall

« Reply #11721 on: March 23, 2016, 02:48:28 PM »
I would totally agree with your reasoning - if Satan did not exist.

Well, all my family were indifferent to religion, and had pretty decent lives.  But you would say that Satan had lured them away?  It sounds bonkers to me.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #11722 on: March 23, 2016, 02:49:32 PM »
I began to share my reasoning on this forum by showing that the human attributes of conscious self awareness and free will are evidence of the human soul and will never be fully defined by molecular activity in the brain.  We may well be able to create robots which can simulate human behaviour, but they will just be machines driven by scientifically determined events with no internal awareness or capacity for free will decisions.  Conscious awareness and free will choices can be correlated to brain activity, but correlation does not imply causation.  This universe began with a big explosion and will end with a gradual burning out of all energy, just like a big firework.  There were no entities of conscious awareness at the beginning, and there will be none at the end.  Evolution theory does not explain conscious awareness or free will capability because these attributes are not definable as material entities.

The religious concept of a non material soul, not of this universe, which will survive the death of our physical bodies fits in well with the above scenario.

You will find more detail in my previous posts which can be listed from my profile.

This is basically an argument from personal incredulity that conscious humans with free will (that, as I keep saying, makes no sense to an omnipotent, omniscient creator, anyway) could have arisen by any 'natural' processes; essentially the claim "wow, us humans are amazing, it must be magic".

You also need to consider that just adding the "religious concept of a non material soul" to humans doesn't explain anything at all. Do you know how souls work? How they make us aware and give us this self-contradictory version of 'free will' you keep talking about? If not, you might as well just say we are magic.

Apart from argument from incredulity being a fallacy - how did you decide what sort of magic religion to believe in?
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

wigginhall

« Reply #11723 on: March 23, 2016, 03:00:21 PM »
As Some Kind of Stranger said, but the phrase, 'the human attributes of conscious self-awareness and free will are evidence of the human soul and will never be fully defined by molecular activity in the brain', stands out.

How on earth do you know that?  For one thing, it's clear that the brain operates in terms of modules or specializations, so for example, some kinds of brain damage produce loss of speech (aphasia).  There is also a kind of holistic operation as well, where different modules interact.

I would think that there is optimism among neurologists and psychologists that the link between brain and consciousness will one day be understood.

torridon

« Reply #11724 on: March 23, 2016, 03:26:42 PM »

And many of us have taken time out to explain why this is wrong, on multiple levels, refering to actual science, actual logic and actual evidence. You come across as so fixated on your own rightness that you are incapable of new learning.