Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3755169 times)

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #11775 on: March 24, 2016, 05:24:57 PM »
So this soul sits there like a back seat driver while the brain is busy doing all the work, conscripting information flows, organising and synchronising them.  To pursue the driving metaphor, if the brain is doing all the driving, your soul, wanting to have experience, instead of looking out the window for itself, you seem to have it peering into the back of the driver's head to try and work out what's outside.  If a soul has these supernatural powers to look at a brain and derive second hand experience from a brain's primary information flows, why doesn't it just use those powers to see for itself instead of looking at a brain ?
I certainly do not see the soul as a back seat driver.  The soul is the driver, perceiving the sensory information in the brain and invoking every conscious decision we make.

But the bible infers that our soul is eternal, and therefore not part of this temporal universe.  So the soul must need some form of interface in order to interact with this universe, which God has provided in the form of our human bodies.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

floo

« Reply #11776 on: March 24, 2016, 05:30:28 PM »
I certainly do not see the soul as a back seat driver.  The soul is the driver, perceiving the sensory information in the brain and invoking every conscious decision we make.

But the bible infers that our soul is eternal, and therefore not part of this temporal universe.  So the soul must need some form of interface in order to interact with this universe, which God has provided in the form of our human bodies.

Whatever the Bible infers, doesn't mean it has any veracity.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #11777 on: March 24, 2016, 05:30:46 PM »

But the bible infers that our soul is eternal, and therefore not part of this temporal universe.

"The Soul that sinneth - it shall die" Ezekiel 18:20
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 05:33:07 PM by Dicky Underpants »
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

torridon

« Reply #11778 on: March 24, 2016, 05:45:50 PM »

So if a soul can interact with a brain, why cannot it interact with simpler things ? If it can look at brain cells why cannot it use that power to look at flowers and trees also ?  that would be far simpler than trying to work out what is going on in a brain.

SusanDoris

« Reply #11779 on: March 24, 2016, 05:48:56 PM »
At some time you will come to realise that you are a spiritual entity Susan.  You are so much more than mere flesh and blood.
I am a material, flesh and blood member of an evolved species of ape. I have a brain which can imagine all sorts of things that do not actually exist. I have, as all humans have, an aesthetic  aspect to my personality which means I can enjoy, to varying degrees, music, the visual arts; can appreciate the superb ability some of our species have to create

stories which enable us to think a bout ourselves as humans and how we can make life better for ourselves and others.
I have two sons and two granddaughters, so some of my, and my ex's, family genes will be passing on through them. 

One aspect of my personality is that I do not admire a tendency in people to be patronising!

The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #11780 on: March 24, 2016, 06:19:50 PM »
If memory is derived from information in our physical brain cells, and these cells become damaged, then "that which perceives the content of our memory cells" will no longer perceive that information - hence dementia.

So, if the memories of our lives are actually stored in our physical brains and not in our souls, then after we die and the brain is gone, no matter how eternal our souls are, we aren't going to remember anything....
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #11781 on: March 24, 2016, 06:53:02 PM »
So, if the memories of our lives are actually stored in our physical brains and not in our souls, then after we die and the brain is gone, no matter how eternal our souls are, we aren't going to remember anything....
Ah but that's it where is the information stored? If the earth blew up tomorrow Hancock's half hour would still be in existence in Box set quantity radiating out at the speed of light.

What is forgotten is the scriptural notion of resurrection in which we truly die but are reconstructed by God. A materialist after all should have no problem with the notion of reassembly.

Leonard James

« Reply #11782 on: March 24, 2016, 07:07:34 PM »
"The Soul that sinneth - it shall die" Ezekiel 18:20

Well spotted, Dicky! Yet another contradiction. :)

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #11783 on: March 24, 2016, 11:00:08 PM »
Indeed the more I read about his philosophy on the human mind, the more it concurs with my own thinking:

The capacities that make human minds superior to animal souls, according to Leibniz,.

Animal souls?
Have you changed your mind on that subject already?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Alan Burns

« Reply #11784 on: March 24, 2016, 11:29:50 PM »
Animal souls?
Have you changed your mind on that subject already?
That line is actually a mis quote because Liebniz did not believe animals had souls.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #11785 on: March 25, 2016, 12:00:48 AM »
That line is actually a mis quote because Liebniz did not believe animals had souls.
Not a very good source to be quoting from then is it?  ::) ::)
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

torridon

« Reply #11786 on: March 25, 2016, 06:53:27 AM »

whereas you do, it seems, since you seem to regard the brain alone as incapable of being the seat of experience.

Stranger

« Reply #11787 on: March 25, 2016, 07:05:37 AM »
Ah but that's it where is the information stored?

In memory cells, according to Alan (#12207).

If the earth blew up tomorrow Hancock's half hour would still be in existence in Box set quantity radiating out at the speed of light.

Err... What are you suggesting by this exactly?

What is forgotten is the scriptural notion of resurrection in which we truly die but are reconstructed by God. A materialist after all should have no problem with the notion of reassembly.

Right, so rather than store memories along with the means to use them - this incompetent god of yours stores them where they are going to be lost and has to go to all the trouble of reconstructing them.

Sounds like a massive design fault and a retrofit.

floo

« Reply #11788 on: March 25, 2016, 08:33:49 AM »

But as humans are only another species of animal, why should we be any different to the rest?

Alan Burns

« Reply #11789 on: March 25, 2016, 10:04:51 AM »
I am a material, flesh and blood member of an evolved species of ape. I have a brain which can imagine all sorts of things that do not actually exist. I have, as all humans have, an aesthetic  aspect to my personality which means I can enjoy, to varying degrees, music, the visual arts; can appreciate the superb ability some of our species have to create

stories which enable us to think a bout ourselves as humans and how we can make life better for ourselves and others.
I have two sons and two granddaughters, so some of my, and my ex's, family genes will be passing on through them. 

One aspect of my personality is that I do not admire a tendency in people to be patronising!
But just contemplate the thought processes you use to bring you to these conclusions.  Science may be able to point to patterns of electrons which correlate to these thoughts, but science can't even scratch the surface of how these electrons can be perceived and translated into the thoughts you experience, because science can't define the "you" in this scenario.

Shaker

« Reply #11790 on: March 25, 2016, 10:13:13 AM »
So if, as you claim, science can't do it, nothing else can either. All this talk of souls and free will and what-have-you is an exercise in gap-plugging because you're uncomfortable with saying "I don't know - in fact nobody does, yet."
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Alan Burns

« Reply #11791 on: March 25, 2016, 10:16:21 AM »
But as humans are only another species of animal, why should we be any different to the rest?
Because we do not just react.  We have an inner self, the soul, which guides our thoughts and conscious choices.

Alan Burns

« Reply #11792 on: March 25, 2016, 10:24:08 AM »
whereas you do, it seems, since you seem to regard the brain alone as incapable of being the seat of experience.
The brain alone is quite capable of producing any of the reactions we see in animal behaviour.

wigginhall

« Reply #11793 on: March 25, 2016, 10:25:48 AM »
So if, as you claim, science can't do it, nothing else can either. All this talk of souls and free will and what-have-you is an exercise in gap-plugging because you're uncomfortable with saying "I don't know - in fact nobody does, yet."

It also makes the problem much worse, since it has 'multiplied entities unnecessarily'.   Or in Occam's terms, non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem.   So not only do researchers have to explain the link between thought and neural activity, they now have to factor in the soul, free will, and probably other baggage.   I could suggest that in fact, thoughts are controlled from Alpha Centauri by a central intelligence agency, hee hee, but again, that would be an unnecessary multiplication.

"We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances."  Newton.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 10:33:46 AM by wigginhall »
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Stranger

« Reply #11794 on: March 25, 2016, 10:34:06 AM »
But just contemplate the thought processes you use to bring you to these conclusions.  Science may be able to point to patterns of electrons which correlate to these thoughts, but science can't even scratch the surface of how these electrons can be perceived and translated into the thoughts you experience, because science can't define the "you" in this scenario.

Neither can you. Just asserting it has to be a non-material soul is just making up words to cover our ignorance.

Alan Burns

« Reply #11795 on: March 25, 2016, 10:48:42 AM »
Neither can you. Just asserting it has to be a non-material soul is just making up words to cover our ignorance.
But I am not making it up.  I am just illustrating that it fits in with the divine revelations in the Christian bible which tell us that we have a spiritual soul which will survive the death of the physical body.

Shaker

« Reply #11796 on: March 25, 2016, 10:50:28 AM »
But I am not making it up.  I am just illustrating that it fits in with the divine revelations in the Christian bible which tell us that we have a spiritual soul which will survive the death of the physical body.
Shifting unsupported assertion away from yourself to a book makes it no less unsupported assertion, Alan. Who says the Bible is gospel?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Alan Burns

« Reply #11797 on: March 25, 2016, 10:52:49 AM »

floo

« Reply #11798 on: March 25, 2016, 11:08:17 AM »
Because we do not just react.  We have an inner self, the soul, which guides our thoughts and conscious choices.

The brain guides our thoughts as it does in animals, we are just a little farther along the evolutionary process that is all.

Leonard James

« Reply #11799 on: March 25, 2016, 11:13:51 AM »
The brain alone is quite capable of producing any of the reactions we see in animal behaviour.

Well done, Alan, you are slowly getting the picture. Now accept the fact that humans are a species of animal.  :)