Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3755643 times)

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #11875 on: April 02, 2016, 06:53:26 PM »
We believers are told that we are Christ's presence on earth, so here is a call to all Christians to show the living God to the world not through mere words, but by living the Gospels and allowing God's love to work through us, so that many may believe.

So, Christians - who can't even agree amongst themselves are supposed to give the rest of us the message. This is your god's idea of a 'plan' is it?

As I said before: your god appears to have crippling communication problems...
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Leonard James

« Reply #11876 on: April 02, 2016, 07:25:08 PM »
Doubting Thomas got the real deal. Why should we put up with mere Christians? Why can't the big man pop down in person and show us a few miracles?

He has, he's here on another thread, but don't hold your breath for a miracle.  ;)

Enki

« Reply #11877 on: April 02, 2016, 08:07:00 PM »
Your request for proof resonates with the story of Doubting Thomas which was read in today's Gospel.

Mere words were not enough for Thomas.  He wanted to see the real thing.

So I feel that mere words on this forum will not convince the doubters - they need to encounter the real thing.

We believers are told that we are Christ's presence on earth, so here is a call to all Christians to show the living God to the world not through mere words, but by living the Gospels and allowing God's love to work through us, so that many may believe.

I'm not sure how that would be particularly helpful in showing any sort of god exists as all sorts of human beings, regardless of belief or lack of belief, can reflect positive, caring and loving natures towards others, just as others can show the opposite. This seems to be a reflection of how humans function whatever faith or lack of faith they may have. I, certainly, would not count this as any sort of evidence for the existence of your particular God, only of certain characteristics within their nature, which may or may not have been influenced by their particular faith.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #11878 on: April 03, 2016, 10:06:55 AM »
I'm not sure how that would be particularly helpful in showing any sort of god exists as all sorts of human beings, regardless of belief or lack of belief, can reflect positive, caring and loving natures towards others, just as others can show the opposite. This seems to be a reflection of how humans function whatever faith or lack of faith they may have. I, certainly, would not count this as any sort of evidence for the existence of your particular God, only of certain characteristics within their nature, which may or may not have been influenced by their particular faith.
We are all God's creatures, and as such there is a bit of God in every one of us whether we believe in Him or not.  But faith should help every individual to bring their gifts to the fore and, in the words of a popular hymn:

They will know we are Christians by our love

I know many of us fall short of achieving this, but it is what we need to aim for.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

torridon

« Reply #11879 on: April 03, 2016, 10:28:09 AM »
We are all God's creatures, and as such there is a bit of God in every one of us whether we believe in Him or not.  But faith should help every individual to bring their gifts to the fore and, in the words of a popular hymn:

I know many of us fall short of achieving this, but it is what we need to aim for.

And that falls short of answering enki's post.  It's just another restatment of your beliefs, and not a justification as to why they are correct.

SusanDoris

« Reply #11880 on: April 03, 2016, 10:31:48 AM »
Another bland, platitude-type statement from AB.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Shaker

« Reply #11881 on: April 03, 2016, 10:34:29 AM »
... which reminds me: http://goo.gl/WTqYlm
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #11882 on: April 03, 2016, 10:42:58 AM »

Baseless assertion alert!
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

ekim

« Reply #11883 on: April 03, 2016, 10:48:56 AM »

Could you not also say 'We are all capable of expressing love and persistence in doing so will improve the well being of all.  They will know we are benevolent by our love.'?  It might cut out the risk of religious egotism.

Enki

« Reply #11884 on: April 03, 2016, 01:40:51 PM »

Only according to your beliefs. There is not a jot of evidence that I am one of "God's creatures", so until that evidence arrives(and, it seems, you are unable to give it), you will no doubt excuse me if I simply see your words as entirely without foundation.

I do not see 'faith', especially in your particular God, to be a desirable attribute.

The fact that you do not respond to the points I stated in post 12321, suggests that you have no arguments to offer. So, until you deal with the points made, then I can quite happily dismiss the words of your Hymn as being quite empty of meaning, and simply yet another assertion. :)
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Étienne d'Angleterre

« Reply #11885 on: April 03, 2016, 02:08:49 PM »
Alan,

Any chance of an answer to question 12318?

Alan Burns

« Reply #11886 on: April 03, 2016, 10:49:35 PM »
Alan,

Any chance of an answer to question 12318?
Only God Himself can answer your question, Stephen.

The Bible predicts that Jesus will come again in glory, but we need to be prepared for His coming.  If we have accepted Him as our saviour, He will accept us into Heaven.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Shaker

« Reply #11887 on: April 03, 2016, 10:51:22 PM »
Well he's a member of the forum now Alan - hopefully he'll be better at answering questions than you are.

The Bible predicts that Jesus will come again in glory, but we need to be prepared for His coming.  If we have accepted Him as our saviour, He will accept us into Heaven.
What if we don't?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #11888 on: April 03, 2016, 10:54:16 PM »
Alan,

The Bible predicts that Jesus will come again in glory, but we need to be prepared for His coming.

That's called a non sequitur - a basic flaw in reasoning. Because a book claims something does not mean that we should act accordingly.   

First you need to concern yourself with why anyone should think the book to be correct.

If we have accepted Him as our saviour, He will accept us into Heaven.

And that's argument by assertion - another logical flaw. It's also morally contemptible by the way.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #11889 on: April 03, 2016, 11:14:49 PM »
Alan,

That's called a non sequitur - a basic flaw in reasoning. Because a book claims something does not mean that we should act accordingly.   

First you need to concern yourself with why anyone should think the book to be correct.

And that's argument by assertion - another logical flaw. It's also morally contemptible by the way.
It never bothers him when antitheists do it though. THAT is morally contemptible.

Étienne d'Angleterre

« Reply #11890 on: April 04, 2016, 11:24:14 AM »

But why do you think we can't have the same evidence as Doubting Thomas? Don't you think more people would be convinced if they could put there hands in the actual wounds?

savillerow

« Reply #11891 on: April 04, 2016, 11:51:49 AM »
Msg 12330 AB "prepared for his coming" Always catches me out this phrase. Can you tell me what to expect when this happens IE he returns in a long robe, we dis-invent everything, forget all that we know, till the land, no modern appliances, no progress anywhere, every day thank him endlessly for our situation etc etc Just throwing it out there. What the heck are people like like you expecting? Will he return in a suit and start a political party? Its a bizarre wish on your part dont you think?
i know this is hard for theists to agree with but . . . .we are flying this planet.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #11892 on: April 04, 2016, 12:00:53 PM »
Sav,

Msg 12330 AB "prepared for his coming" Always catches me out this phrase. Can you tell me what to expect when this happens IE he returns in a long robe, we dis-invent everything, forget all that we know, till the land, no modern appliances, no progress anywhere, every day thank him endlessly for our situation etc etc Just throwing it out there. What the heck are people like like you expecting? Will he return in a suit and start a political party? Its a bizarre wish on your part dont you think?

Nicely put. Might be nice if he bothered handing over the cure for cancer next time too...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 12:03:19 PM by bluehillside »

God

savillerow

« Reply #11893 on: April 04, 2016, 12:08:19 PM »
BH And hes doing a get-together, say in Botswana(why not) with a new important policy change. . . . . just cant get it out to the masses because. . . . .weve got no communication systems. Oh well.
i know this is hard for theists to agree with but . . . .we are flying this planet.

Alan Burns

« Reply #11894 on: April 04, 2016, 01:05:22 PM »
Your comments bring to mind the profound lyrics to Bob Dylan's "When He Returns":

The iron hand, it ain't no match for the iron rod
The strongest wall will crumble and fall to a mighty God
For all those who have eyes and all those who have ears
It is only he who can reduce me to tears

Don't you cry and don't you die and don't you burn
For like a thief in the night
He'll replace wrong with right
When he returns

Truth is an arrow and the gate is narrow that it passes through
He unleashed his power at an unknown hour that no one knew
How long can I listen to the lies of prejudice?
How long can I stay drunk on fear out in the wilderness?

Can I cast it aside, all this loyalty and this pride?
Will I ever learn that there'll be no peace
That the war won't cease
Until he returns?

Surrender your crown on this blood-stained ground, take off your mask
He sees your deeds, he knows your needs even before you ask
How long can you falsify and deny what is real?
How long can you hate yourself for the weakness you conceal?

Of every earthly plan that be known to man
He is unconcerned
He's got plans of his own to set up his throne
When he returns

SusanDoris

« Reply #11895 on: April 04, 2016, 01:07:21 PM »
Well said! The sort of questions you ask here are never answered; they are filtered through a way of thinking that blurs their meaning,and people like AB will come back with a meaningless assertion instead.* It's all very shallow thinking.

*As in #12339 !!!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 01:10:25 PM by SusanDoris »
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

savillerow

« Reply #11896 on: April 04, 2016, 03:15:08 PM »
Msg 12339 AB Bob Dylan exists. Give him a call and ask him what he meant by those lyrics. Then if that happens you can have a discussion about your differences. Hey AB having real people in real situations, whatever next!!!!

Alan Burns

« Reply #11897 on: April 04, 2016, 04:01:03 PM »
Well said! The sort of questions you ask here are never answered; they are filtered through a way of thinking that blurs their meaning,and people like AB will come back with a meaningless assertion instead.* It's all very shallow thinking.

*As in #12339 !!!
But I can confidently predict that my "meaningless assertions" will one day be discovered to comprise the very meaning behind our existence.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #11898 on: April 04, 2016, 04:05:41 PM »
What the heck are people like like you expecting? Will he return in a suit and start a political party? Its a bizarre wish on your part dont you think?

Well, we must assume that the earth is going to be made flat, since "every eye will see him".
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #11899 on: April 04, 2016, 04:12:40 PM »
AB,

But I can confidently predict that my "meaningless assertions" will one day be discovered to comprise the very meaning behind our existence.

Oh well, there it is then. Now we know that you can "confidently predict" that what need is there of reason or argument or evidence? Why didn't you just say so in the first place?

So there we have it. Alan's assertions must be true because he can confidently predict that at some unspecified time in the future they will be shown to be true.

Case closed!

God