Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3756574 times)

Sassy

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #12000 on: April 08, 2016, 10:19:49 AM »
And you've also told us that we need to seek God before he will choose to do that for us. Which is it? Or did God make an exception in your case?

Which was it for you?

You claimed to know God and Christ, once.
Did they move without leaving a forwarding address? Or did what Christ said would happen, happen?

20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;

21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.

22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful

Which one was it? Which was your way? Rhiannon, you know God loves you and I know every day it lessens you become numb/harder to the reality. Truth is God did not send you your troubles and eventually would have taken you through it to the other side. You may have given up on God but he has never given up on you.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

floo

« Reply #12001 on: April 08, 2016, 10:21:49 AM »
More assertions from Sass without any evidence to back them up. ::)

Sassy

« Reply #12002 on: April 08, 2016, 10:22:44 AM »
God doesn't seem to be coming through for Alan's poor friend and others like her.
Lack of knowledge sometimes causes people not to come through. God is the only one who gives us hope and actually helps.
She survived this far... you mock all you want... I find it hard to believe that your husband came through something similar and we all prayed for him. How would  a remark like yours have encouraged you if made about your husband.

That is low and below the belt.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein

floo

« Reply #12003 on: April 08, 2016, 10:36:33 AM »
Lack of knowledge sometimes causes people not to come through. God is the only one who gives us hope and actually helps.
She survived this far... you mock all you want... I find it hard to believe that your husband came through something similar and we all prayed for him. How would  a remark like yours have encouraged you if made about your husband.

That is low and below the belt.

As I have said many times, when people made well meaning prayers for my husband, a friend of ours (a born again) was also extremely ill. No doubt he was the subject of many prayers too. My husband survived albeit with half a brain, and an experience whilst in a coma that no god or afterlife exists. Our friend died leaving a young family, one of whom is disabled. If my husband had died it would have been sad, but possibly for the best, due to the frustration he has now at not being able to do the things he loves best in life. Our friend's family we left devastated and found it hard to cope.

I am firmly of the opinion that people will survive and others will die, prayers will not make the slightest bit of difference either way.

Shaker

« Reply #12004 on: April 08, 2016, 10:39:48 AM »
I am firmly of the opinion that people will survive and others will die, prayers will not make the slightest bit of difference either way.
Indeed.

Life is random. Some stuff happens to some people sometimes; to other people at other times it doesn't.

Some people are aware of that fact and are reconciled to it. The ones who aren't think that bending the metaphorical ear of a supposedly omniscient entity will change things, because of their need to believe that a someone is ultimately in control.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 10:42:16 AM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #12005 on: April 08, 2016, 11:00:35 AM »
My husband survived albeit with half a brain, and an experience whilst in a coma that no god or afterlife exists.

That should convince AB then, a first hand personal witness statement.
I'm sure that he will be withdrawing all of his assertions now.
Unless he has got his industrial goalpost moving equipment up and running again?  ::)
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

floo

« Reply #12006 on: April 08, 2016, 11:22:49 AM »
I'm sure that he will be withdrawing all of his assertions now.
Unless he has got his industrial goalpost moving equipment up and running again?  ::)

The human brain is a remarkable organ and can convince people of almost anything. I don't give my husband's 'experience' anymore credence than I do of those claiming 'experiences', which they believe come from god.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #12007 on: April 08, 2016, 11:55:37 AM »

I know of many first hand witness statements which confirm the existence of God.

Quoting examples of God's apparent non intervention does not negate the many obvious examples of God's intervention.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

BeRational

« Reply #12008 on: April 08, 2016, 12:00:32 PM »
I know of many first hand witness statements which confirm the existence of God.

Quoting examples of God's apparent non intervention does not negate the many obvious examples of God's intervention.

And the apparent intervention does not demonstrate a god. Just a mistake.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Étienne d'Angleterre

« Reply #12009 on: April 08, 2016, 12:15:32 PM »
Jesus Christ, rose from the dead.

Allegedly

How big a miracle do you want?

Well as I said if Doubting Thomas got the real deal why can't I have it as well?

Seems reasonable to me.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #12010 on: April 08, 2016, 12:27:54 PM »

Incredible.

You really don't see the blindingly obvious flaw in this, do you...?
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #12011 on: April 08, 2016, 12:51:59 PM »

Quoting apparent first hand witness statements does not confirm the existence of God.

See I can play that game also.

Next........
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

torridon

« Reply #12012 on: April 08, 2016, 12:57:49 PM »

I know of many first hand witness statements which confirm that some individuals are being visited and interfered with by aliens.

Do we believe every fantastic claim without murmur ?

Shaker

« Reply #12013 on: April 08, 2016, 01:01:18 PM »
I know of many first hand witness statements which confirm that some individuals are being visited and interfered with by aliens.
Do we believe every fantastic claim without murmur?
As wedded, indeed welded to the negative proof fallacy as he is, Hope comes very close to espousing such a position - it's the (il)logical consequence of the stance that anything without explicit proof to the contrary is either true or at the very least worth serious consideration.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Maeght

« Reply #12014 on: April 08, 2016, 02:54:20 PM »

More correctly in my view would be to say 'I know of many first hand witness statements which confirm people's belief in the existence of God.' since people are interpretting things to be acts of God with no supporting evidence that they are.

horsethorn

• Anomalographer
    • "We are star stuff. We are the universe made manifest trying to figure itself out." (Delenn, Babylon 5)
« Reply #12015 on: April 08, 2016, 03:10:45 PM »
More correctly in my view would be to say 'I know of many first hand witness statements which confirm people's belief in the existence of God.' since people are interpretting things to be acts of God with no supporting evidence that they are.

And, of course, there are plenty of first hand witness statements which confirm peoples' belief in the existence of many different gods.

I wonder if AB gives them the same credibility?

ht
Darth Horsethorn, Most Patient Saint®, Senior Wrangler®, Knight Inerrant® and Gonnagle of the Reformed Church of the Debatable Saints®
Steampunk Panentheist
Not an atheist
"We are star stuff. We are the universe made manifest trying to figure itself out." (Delenn, Babylon 5)

BeRational

« Reply #12016 on: April 08, 2016, 03:25:06 PM »
And, of course, there are plenty of first hand witness statements which confirm peoples' belief in the existence of many different gods.

I wonder if AB gives them the same credibility?

ht

Apparently he has a high I.Q, but cannot see the most obvious flaws.

floo

« Reply #12017 on: April 08, 2016, 03:41:52 PM »
Apparently he has a high I.Q, but cannot see the most obvious flaws.

Even people with high IQs can compartmentalise their faith so logic doesn't impinge.

BeRational

« Reply #12018 on: April 08, 2016, 04:55:48 PM »
Even people with high IQs can compartmentalise their faith so logic doesn't impinge.

Clearly (I do not believe his claim though)

Étienne d'Angleterre

« Reply #12019 on: April 08, 2016, 05:00:35 PM »
As wedded, indeed welded to the negative proof fallacy as he is, Hope comes very close to espousing such a position - it's the (il)logical consequence of the stance that anything without explicit proof to the contrary is either true or at the very least worth serious consideration.

I think what happens is that if a belief is unproven then they default to the odds being evens on it being true or false.

Sassy

« Reply #12020 on: April 09, 2016, 10:46:35 AM »
Allegedly

Well as I said if Doubting Thomas got the real deal why can't I have it as well?

Seems reasonable to me.

You don't reason Stephen,

You sit on the fence thinking it exists but it really doesn't.
You are not a doubting Thomas. Thomas was HONEST and believed in Jesus being the Son of God.
But it was his resurrection he had trouble believing. He said if he could see him and put his hand in his side.
But when Jesus came to him he knew Jesus was risen. You have no point of faith. Had you really sought the truth then you would have told God you really want to believe but you need to know who God is. Who is the real God.

A young man a reported having witnessed many things told God he wanted to believe but how would he know which is the truth. God sent someone to him and this person told them what God wanted him to know. What he wanted to know.

Sometimes like Thomas, God acts on the knowledge and faith of our hearts. In these cases he responded to the faith of these men and the fact they had asked God to reveal himself. So you know the way Stephen. But do you really want to know for the right reasons.

savillerow

« Reply #12021 on: April 09, 2016, 11:11:10 AM »
Msg 12477 Sassy "You have no point of faith" No i do not, i have none, zippo, bereft, lacking, vacant, empty, devoid of the bloody thing. Your "faith" answers nothing. Its the curse of the planet. It really is.
i know this is hard for theists to agree with but . . . .we are flying this planet.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #12022 on: April 09, 2016, 11:24:35 AM »
Msg 12477 Sassy "You have no point of faith" No i do not, i have none, zippo, bereft, lacking, vacant, empty, devoid of the bloody thing. Your "faith" answers nothing. Its the curse of the planet. It really is.
Ah, faith in no faith...........I'm sure if we scratched the surface we would find another little sunbeam for ontological naturalism.

floo

« Reply #12023 on: April 09, 2016, 11:30:09 AM »
Ah, faith in no faith...........I'm sure if we scratched the surface we would find another little sunbeam for ontological naturalism.

Far better than the pie in the sky nonsense for which there is no evidence whatsoever.

savillerow

« Reply #12024 on: April 09, 2016, 11:46:39 AM »
I have no faith(such an annoying word) but I tell people  i have a shed load of hope. I do hope for so many things for this planet and the population. Why wouldnt I. But "coming together" for all of us must be a much more shared view of all the things that have been mentioned in the past IE(in no particular order) logic, science, common sense, evidence, rationality etc. . . . .glass of wine. Its not a bad wish is it?
i know this is hard for theists to agree with but . . . .we are flying this planet.