Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3748720 times)

bluehillside Retd.

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #15550 on: February 21, 2017, 09:10:03 AM »
AB,

My gift of free will is what I used to open up the door to God and discover His love for us.  If I was merely a product of determined complexity I could not have done this.

But you could have only believed you did that - which is what appears to have happened here. Just asserting your claim as if it was a fact is another of your countless fallacies.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #15551 on: February 21, 2017, 09:18:19 AM »
My gift of free will is what I used to open up the door to God and discover His love for us.  If I was merely a product of determined complexity I could not have done this.

Two baseless assertions. While I'm sure you believe the first, you have not given any reason why anybody else should do so. Nor have you given us any reason to think that "determined complexity" cannot do anything that humans do.

And you continue to ignore the glaring logical contradiction at the heart of your claims.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

floo

« Reply #15552 on: February 21, 2017, 09:18:43 AM »
Whilst we might very sincerely believe something to be true and it works for us, it doesn't necessarily work for other people. We all create our comfort zones where faith, or lack of it, is concerned as there is no verifiable evidence to back up any position.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:33:54 AM by Floo »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #15553 on: February 21, 2017, 09:45:43 AM »
AB,

Just out of interest Alan, can I ask you something about your use of logically false arguments? You are I think aware at least conceptually that some arguments are false: "birth rates are higher where there are lots of storks, therefore storks cause more babies" for example you would recognise as logically wrong (because correlation does not imply causation).   

You are also I assume aware that many such false arguments have been codified and categorised such that they can be expressed succinctly (as an ad hom, an argumentume ad consequentiam etc). 

Finally you're presumably aware too that, while the outcomes of logically false arguments may still be true (just by dumb luck), the arguments themselves are always wrong, and so offer nothing to support the contention that the outcome is true.

OK, so here's the question: over and over again you rely on logically false arguments, and when they're pointed out to you you dissemble by calling them "labelled", "man-made" or "not watertight" as if that in some way made them legitimate. As it immediately exits you from any meaningful discussion though, why do you do it? Do you just not care that your logical fallacies detonate your position, or do you think that eventually your repetition of them will somehow make people give up and decide that they're OK arguments after all?

I'd genuinely like to know if you don't mind telling us.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:45:04 PM by bluehillside »

God

SusanDoris

« Reply #15554 on: February 21, 2017, 12:35:59 PM »
#15,555 bluehilside

I too will be genuinely interested in the answer.

(Interesting post number!)
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #15555 on: February 21, 2017, 01:37:24 PM »
AB,

Just out of interest Alan, can I ask you something about your use of logically false arguments? You are I think aware at least conceptually that some arguments are false: "birth rates are higher where there are lots of storks, therefore storks cause more babies" for example you would recognise as logically wrong (because correlation does not imply causation).   

You are also I assume aware that many such false arguments have been codified and categorised such that they can be expressed succinctly (as an ad hom, an argumentume ad consequentiam etc). 

Finally you're presumably aware too that, while the outcomes of logically false arguments may still be true (just by dumb luck), the arguments themselves are always wrong, and so offer nothing to support the contention that the outcome is true.

OK, so here's the question: over and over again you rely on logically false arguments, and when they're pointed out to you you dissemble by calling them "labelled", "man-made" or "not watertight" as if that in some way made them legitimate. As it immediately exits you from any meaningful discussion though, why do you do it? Do you just not care that your logical fallacies detonate your position, or do you think that eventually your repetition of them will somehow make people give up and decide that they're OK arguments after all?

I'd genuinely like to know if you don't mind telling us.
You won't be surprised that I do not consider my logic to be flawed.  Most arguments boil down to a difference of opinion - such as what can and can't be achieved from the deterministic activity of purely material entities.  And in your case I hold a difference of opinion as to what comprises an emergent property.  I have tried to highlight that the limitations of material entities are incapable of defining conscious awareness, and this is based on logic, not just personal incredulity.  I have also maintained that our apparent illusion of free will is not an illusion at all, and that we have the real ability to control our thought processes and actions as directed by our conscious awareness.  The fact that conscious awareness has not been defined in material terms means that my arguments can't be dismissed.  You mention the fact that correlation does not imply causation, which is an argument I have used myself to show that chemical activity in the frontal cortex of the brain does not define the cause of our thought processes, or indeed the thought itself.  I detect a great deal of personal optimism on this forum in efforts to try to come to terms of a reality without God.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #15556 on: February 21, 2017, 01:57:25 PM »
I detect a great deal of personal optimism on this forum in efforts to try to come to terms of a reality without God.

From the opening post on this thread:
I was reading some of the threads and it is abundantly clear that people do not seek the truth regarding God but simply reasons to keep from believing in him.
I haven't enough faith to be an atheist.

BeRational

« Reply #15557 on: February 21, 2017, 02:02:33 PM »
You won't be surprised that I do not consider my logic to be flawed.  Most arguments boil down to a difference of opinion - such as what can and can't be achieved from the deterministic activity of purely material entities.  And in your case I hold a difference of opinion as to what comprises an emergent property.  I have tried to highlight that the limitations of material entities are incapable of defining conscious awareness, and this is based on logic, not just personal incredulity.  I have also maintained that our apparent illusion of free will is not an illusion at all, and that we have the real ability to control our thought processes and actions as directed by our conscious awareness.  The fact that conscious awareness has not been defined in material terms means that my arguments can't be dismissed.  You mention the fact that correlation does not imply causation, which is an argument I have used myself to show that chemical activity in the frontal cortex of the brain does not define the cause of our thought processes, or indeed the thought itself.  I detect a great deal of personal optimism on this forum in efforts to try to come to terms of a reality without God.

So you do think that 2 + 2 = 5 and this is not logically flawed?
I see gullible people, everywhere!

floo

« Reply #15558 on: February 21, 2017, 02:05:40 PM »
Sword, how can you find out the so called 'truth' for something which is a human creation? Even if it exists it has not provided any verifiable evidence to support its existence.

Stranger

« Reply #15559 on: February 21, 2017, 02:13:20 PM »
You won't be surprised that I do not consider my logic to be flawed.  Most arguments boil down to a difference of opinion - such as what can and can't be achieved from the deterministic activity of purely material entities.

The point is that you don't know what can be achieved by deterministic "material entities" (because nobody does). You also don't know how consciousness works (you've admitted as much), so you don't know what is needed to produce it.

You can hold the opinion that we need something non-material but you have provided no basis whatsoever for it in evidence or logic.

I have tried to highlight that the limitations of material entities are incapable of defining conscious awareness, and this is based on logic, not just personal incredulity.

What logic? You keep on pointing to determinism as a problem with "material entities" but then totally ignoring the fact that you have an exactly equivalent problem with any entities - whether material or not.

I have also maintained that our apparent illusion of free will is not an illusion at all, and that we have the real ability to control our thought processes and actions as directed by our conscious awareness.

Yes, you've maintained that but have been totally unable to even define what it means.

The fact that conscious awareness has not been defined in material terms means that my arguments can't be dismissed.

This is the negative proof or argument from ignorance fallacy.

I detect a great deal of personal optimism on this forum in efforts to try to come to terms of a reality without God.

Why would anybody need "to come to terms" with it? I for one, have never been given any sort of rational reason to take any (of the many) god concepts seriously. If there is a god, it's doing a great job of hiding its existence.

And you are still ignoring the glaring logical contradiction in your position. That in itself, would totally undermine any logical argument for it, even if you could come up with one...

Stranger

« Reply #15560 on: February 21, 2017, 02:18:32 PM »

I was reading some of the threads and it is abundantly clear that people do not seek the truth regarding God but simply reasons to keep from believing in him.

::)   Somebody else who thinks baseless assertions are a substitute for logic or evidence.

Do you have the slightest rational reason to take any of the god concepts seriously?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #15561 on: February 21, 2017, 02:30:05 PM »
AB,

You won't be surprised that I do not consider my logic to be flawed.

I’m afraid that that’s not a choice you get to make. To go back to the earlier example, if I said that there are higher birth rates where there are lots of storks therefore storks cause more babies then I’d be committing a logical fallacy. Whether I'd consider it to be one is neither here nor there – it’s false regardless on my opinion on the matter. And that essentially is what you do when you attempt arguments that are classically defined as false.

Most arguments boil down to a difference of opinion - such as what can and can't be achieved from the deterministic activity of purely material entities.  And in your case I hold a difference of opinion as to what comprises an emergent property.

No they don’t, or at least they don’t for this purpose. Whether tea is better than coffee is a difference of opinion, but logical fallacies aren’t. Your only way out of that is to argue that, say, the post hoc ergo propter hoc (storks and babies for example) isn’t logically false at all. And that would give you many problems, not least that if you think it in respect of storkism then you have no basis to exclude the same argument in respect of any other correlation = cause claim.   

I have tried to highlight that the limitations of material entities are incapable of defining conscious awareness, and this is based on logic, not just personal incredulity.

No it isn’t. Your position about that is entirely an argument from incredulity because you’ve provided no logic or evidence or any kind to support it. Time and again you say things like, “I can’t imagine how X, therefore Y” etc but that is the argument from personal incredulity – precisely so in fact.

I have also maintained that our apparent illusion of free will is not an illusion at all, and that we have the real ability to control our thought processes and actions as directed by our conscious awareness.

Yes you have, but “maintaining” something with no supporting logic or evidence (indeed in flat contradiction of the logic and evidence we do have) is just assertion. There’s no argument there at all – just wishful thinking.

The fact that conscious awareness has not been defined in material terms means that my arguments can't be dismissed.

No, but your “arguments” (or rather assertions) can be dismissed for other reasons, just as someone who claims an invisible orbiting teapot will have his claim dismissed even though that teapot claim hasn’t been fully “defined in material terms” either. While a great deal about “conscious awareness” has been defined, and while the property aligns very well with the known phenomenon of emergence, the absence of a full understanding of it does not in other words give you licence to drop in any alternative explanatory conjecture you like with no evidence at all. 

You mention the fact that correlation does not imply causation, which is an argument I have used myself to show that chemical activity in the frontal cortex of the brain does not define the cause of our thought processes, or indeed the thought itself.

If you have then you misunderstand the argument. It’s not that the fact of a prefrontal cortex existing means that it must cause consciousness, but rather that its architecture, complexity and functions align perfectly well with the theory that consciousness is an emergent property of it. If you want to claim something else as an explanation for consciousness, then you need to explain first why the neuroscience doesn’t provide a cogent working model, and second why your alternative provides a better one.

So far at least though, you’ve not even attempted to do either.

You might think rational argument in the face of superstitious beliefs to be optimistic, but to me it’s the only response I can give. If I suspended my critical faculties and succumbed to your claims, I’d have no choice but to succumb to any other illogical and un-evidenced claims too. And that’s not somewhere I’d like to be.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:56:11 PM by bluehillside »

God

SusanDoris

« Reply #15562 on: February 21, 2017, 02:31:00 PM »

::)   Somebody else who thinks baseless assertions are a substitute for logic or evidence.

Do you have the slightest rational reason to take any of the god concepts seriously?
I think the answer to that is a resoumnding no, but he is very clever at quoting other people's posts!

Well, he thinks he is!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #15563 on: February 21, 2017, 02:51:01 PM »
... but he is very clever at quoting other people's posts!

comes in handy at times to remind the theists what they are up against. After all, why let truth get in the way...especially in your case, because
Quote from: SusanDoris
At my age, I'm far too old to be concerned about whether I have made a mistake or not!

Oh, and what was the excuse given for the lack of evidence for an assertion by Floo yesterday?

Quote from: floo
In this case you will have to take my word for it
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:54:26 PM by SwordOfTheSpirit »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #15564 on: February 21, 2017, 02:58:30 PM »
Sword,

comes in handy at times to remind the theists what they are up against. After all, why let truth get in the way...especially in your case, because

Quote from: SusanDoris

At my age, I'm far too old to be concerned about whether I have made a mistake or not!

Do you not realise that constantly re-quoting this just makes you look a bit scummy? Why not finally attempt a positive argument of your own instead?

God

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #15565 on: February 21, 2017, 02:59:33 PM »
Sword, how can you find out the so called 'truth' for something which is a human creation?
Can you prove that cars are a human creation?

Can you prove that the 'something' you are referring to is a human creation?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #15566 on: February 21, 2017, 02:59:56 PM »
Oh, and what was the excuse given for the lack of evidence for an assertion by Floo yesterday?

What Floo actually said without the dishonest quite mine was

'In this case you will have to take my word for it, as I can't print the post in full, of someone who doesn't as far as I am aware, post on this forum'

Why did you quote mine in this dishonest fashion. Why did you think it is a good thing to lie in this way?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #15567 on: February 21, 2017, 03:04:23 PM »
Can you prove that cars are a human creation?

That there are no reports of naturally occurring cars is one factor: the other being reliable evidence that all objects referred to as 'cars' are designed. You need a better analogy.

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #15568 on: February 21, 2017, 03:04:54 PM »
Sword,

Do you not realise that constantly re-quoting this just makes you look a bit scummy?
I think you're confusing me with someone who gives a damn.

Quote from: bluehillside
Why not finally attempt a positive argument of your own instead?
What, like Alan Burns or Emergence have done in their hundreds of posts? I'm more interested in your tautological, unfalsifiable worldview that keeps on looking for evidence of the non-natural, using a methodology that assumes that that which is being investigated has a natural cause/explanation.

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #15569 on: February 21, 2017, 03:05:38 PM »

What Floo actually said without the dishonest quite mine was

'In this case you will have to take my word for it, as I can't print the post in full, of someone who doesn't as far as I am aware, post on this forum'

Why did you quote mine in this dishonest fashion. Why did you think it is a good thing to lie in this way?
Why do you continue to lie by incorrectly accusing others of lying?

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #15570 on: February 21, 2017, 03:06:55 PM »
If you quote the real example I will tell you why.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #15571 on: February 21, 2017, 03:10:56 PM »
Why do you continue to lie by incorrectly accusing others of lying?
Oh dear, you just cannot help with the lying. You quotemined. That"s shown by my post. So you lied. You lie so often that I almost suspect you of being a POE.

Stranger

« Reply #15572 on: February 21, 2017, 03:12:46 PM »
What, like Alan Burns or Emergence have done in their hundreds of posts?

If you want to post obviously flawed, fallacy ridden 'arguments', then you can - but perhaps you could do better...?

I'm more interested in your tautological, unfalsifiable worldview that keeps on looking for evidence of the non-natural, using a methodology that assumes that that which is being investigated has a natural cause/explanation.

Something you've totally failed to demonstrate. But, anyway - why don't you post any reason whatsoever that isn't obviously wrong, for believing any of the various god concepts on offer?

Go on!

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #15573 on: February 21, 2017, 03:15:00 PM »
Perhaps a good indirect illustration of the problem that exists, regarding the approach to Alan Burns' posts.

Changing the sum: 1+1=10 is incorrect. Logically flawed. The assumption. Base 10

1+1=10 is correct if base 2 is applied.

Alan Burns' reasoning comes from his worldview. The arguments (including all the charges of fallaciousness, etc) are based on an entirely different worldview. It is never going to work.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:38:39 PM by SwordOfTheSpirit »

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #15574 on: February 21, 2017, 03:16:28 PM »
Oh dear, you just cannot help with the lying. You quotemined. That"s shown by my post. So you lied. You lie so often that I almost suspect you of being a POE.
You quotemined from my post! Why are you such a hypocrite?