Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3739411 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #16675 on: April 14, 2017, 09:37:42 PM »
What eye witness accounts?
I have 10,000 eye witness accounts that say differently.

You cannot check them of course, just like your alleged accounts cannot be checked.

It is a CLAIM of eye witness accounts not the ACTUAL accounts so they can be ignored unless you allow my greater number of 10,000 to count
10,000 eyewitnesses to what?

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #16676 on: April 14, 2017, 10:09:53 PM »
What eye witness accounts?
I have 10,000 eye witness accounts that say differently.

You cannot check them of course, just like your alleged accounts cannot be checked.

It is a CLAIM of eye witness accounts not the ACTUAL accounts so they can be ignored unless you allow my greater number of 10,000 to count
But can you honestly equate this with the case for leprechauns?
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #16677 on: April 14, 2017, 10:53:10 PM »
Vlad,

Although against that there is what Paul Davies refers to as the law of mediocrity where so far every part of the observed universe follows the laws of physics.

First, if he does say that then he’s as daft as you are for being in thrall to the argumentum ad consequentiam fallacy. Whether or not you find something to be mediocre tells you nothing about the truth of the matter.

Second, if he really thinks a universe that “follows the laws of physics” is mediocre then he needs to get out more. If you genuinely don’t find the findings from Hubble, Cassini, Voyager etc to be jaw-dropping compared with the tawdry tales of iron-age tribes about blood sacrifices and the like then you need to re-evaluate your wonder index.

I wonder if you aren't straw clutching in this post.

Then wonder no more – I was merely correcting Alan Burns on one of his many mistakes.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #16678 on: April 14, 2017, 11:01:21 PM »
AB,

You have often compared my Christian faith to a belief in leprechauns...

No I haven't. What I have done though is to compare the arguments made for these claims and, when they are the same, concluded that they are probably bad arguments. Although the point is utterly lost on Vlad, the fact remains that a bad argument for one faith belief dos not somehow become a good argument for a different faith belief. If we take one of your favourite fallacies for example – the argument from personal incredulity – then if you want use it to lead to your god, you cannot deny the same argument to someone else when it leads him to leprechauns.

It would really help you a lot if you could understand this   

...but in doing this you are exercising your God given gift of free will by choosing to ignore all the available evidence and eye witness accounts.

Priceless! I just pointed out your use of the fallacy of reification, and your attempt to engage with it another example of the same fallacy!

In this nicest possible way Alan, it really would help you if you invested some time in understanding some basics about logic before you post again.

Really, it would.

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #16679 on: April 14, 2017, 11:04:10 PM »
AB,

If the argument(s) in each case are identical, then yes.

God

BeRational

« Reply #16680 on: April 14, 2017, 11:42:12 PM »

I have 20,000 eye witnesses of Leprechauns
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #16681 on: April 15, 2017, 12:10:37 AM »
What evidence, and on what basis has this evidence been critiqued in relation to the risks of human artifice?

For example, don't forget to explain how you know claims of there being witnesses are factually accurate.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #16682 on: April 15, 2017, 12:14:55 AM »
Vlad,

First, if he does say that then he’s as daft as you are for being in thrall to the argumentum ad consequentiam fallacy. Whether or not you find something to be mediocre tells you nothing about the truth of the matter.

Second, if he really thinks a universe that “follows the laws of physics” is mediocre then he needs to get out more. If you genuinely don’t find the findings from Hubble, Cassini, Voyager etc to be jaw-dropping compared with the tawdry tales of iron-age tribes about blood sacrifices and the like then you need to re-evaluate your wonder index.

Then wonder no more – I was merely correcting Alan Burns on one of his many mistakes.
The law of mediocrity isn't about how jaw dropping the universe is or isn't but how uniform it is.

torridon

« Reply #16683 on: April 15, 2017, 07:36:10 AM »

I think we can easily trump that with the number of alien abduction witnesses.  The USA alone numbers over 3 million individuals with vivid claims, not just as passive witnesses to an inexplicable event, but personally involved, being kidnapped and often subjected to invasive medical procedures by extraterrestrial beings.  By any measure, this dwarfs the claims of resurrection and yet we don't take them seriously.   There have always been people making fantastic claims, it is nothing new, although nowadays we are more likely to treat them sceptically.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 07:39:13 AM by torridon »

Spud

« Reply #16684 on: April 15, 2017, 08:16:00 AM »
What would be the point of, say, a flying pig, and what is the point of Jesus' resurrection?

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #16685 on: April 15, 2017, 08:48:44 AM »
and what is the point of Jesus' resurrection?
You will find out one day, but if you want to know now, try reading the Bible.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16686 on: April 15, 2017, 09:10:27 AM »
You will find out one day, but if you want to know now, try reading the Bible.
I think you are missing Spud's point here, AB. Spud's a believer and I was think is suggesting that because of what he sees as the point of the resurrection that somehow gives more weight to the 'eye witnesses'. It doesn't. 

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #16687 on: April 15, 2017, 09:36:02 AM »
I think we can easily trump that with the number of alien abduction witnesses.  The USA alone numbers over 3 million individuals with vivid claims, not just as passive witnesses to an inexplicable event, but personally involved, being kidnapped and often subjected to invasive medical procedures by extraterrestrial beings.  By any measure, this dwarfs the claims of resurrection and yet we don't take them seriously.   There have always been people making fantastic claims, it is nothing new, although nowadays we are more likely to treat them sceptically.
Analogies are alright but you have to have fairly good one's.
If you are talking about encounters far more have reported an encounter with God in Christ than perhaps any other description of God or god...than alien abduction.

Invasive medical procedures should be investigable. Jesus I believed proffered his injuries for inspection.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #16688 on: April 15, 2017, 09:37:48 AM »
Jesus I believed proffered his injuries for inspection.

So the story goes.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #16689 on: April 15, 2017, 09:46:22 AM »
I think you are missing Spud's point here, AB. Spud's a believer and I was think is suggesting that because of what he sees as the point of the resurrection that somehow gives more weight to the 'eye witnesses'. It doesn't.
I think it does since it is consistent with his experience.

wigginhall

« Reply #16690 on: April 15, 2017, 10:09:27 AM »
If you are talking about encounters far more have reported an encounter with God in Christ than perhaps any other description of God or god...than alien abduction.

Invasive medical procedures should be investigable. Jesus I believed proffered his injuries for inspection.

So are you going off numbers now?   In other words, the more common religions are 'truer'?   So Judaism is a bit less true than Sikhism?   
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #16691 on: April 15, 2017, 10:12:07 AM »
What evidence, and on what basis has this evidence been critiqued in relation to the risks of human artifice?

For example, don't forget to explain how you know claims of there being witnesses are factually accurate.
But research on conspiracies has been mentioned Gordon.

You have, on the other hand done nothing....You have de facto suggested an alternative history. Let's have your account and subject it to consideration of whether the subsequent history is consistent with your alternative.

It isn't obvious that ''of course a story like this can survive'' that seems to be hindsight.

You seem firmly fixed in these things don't happen (not proper science)and the staff aren't doing their jobs...i.e.....when Gordon tells you to prove his case you jolly well do it (managerial expectations)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:19:49 AM by Emergence-The musical »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #16692 on: April 15, 2017, 10:15:22 AM »
So are you going off numbers now?   In other words, the more common religions are 'truer'?   So Judaism is a bit less true than Sikhism?
If you actually came off the bardo and read the thread I come in at the end of an escalation by be Rational and Torridon. You would have noticed if you weren't so keen on being a ninja monk.

Aaayeeeee huh huh nooooooooooowaaaaaaaaahhh.

wigginhall

« Reply #16693 on: April 15, 2017, 10:22:58 AM »
If you actually came off the bardo and read the thread I come in at the end of an escalation by be Rational and Torridon. You would have noticed if you weren't so keen on being a ninja monk.

Aaayeeeee huh huh nooooooooooowaaaaaaaaahhh.

I just noticed that you said 'far more have reported an encounter with God in Christ  ...', so presumably you think that quantity is about truth. 
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #16694 on: April 15, 2017, 10:24:56 AM »
But research on conspiracies has been mentioned Gordon.

And?

You have, on the other hand done nothing....You have de facto suggested an alternative history. Let's have your account and subject it to consideration of whether the subsequent history is consistent with your alternative.

No I haven't - I've just asked you guys to explain how you've excluded the risks of mistake, exaggeration or lies.

It isn't obvious that ''of course a story like this can survive'' that seems to be hindsight.

Translation please.

You seem firmly fixed in these things don't happen (not proper science)and the staff aren't doing their jobs...i.e.....when Gordon tells you to prove his case you jolly well do it (managerial bollocks)

Nope - I've simply asked you guys to explain how you've excluded the risks of mistake, exaggeration or lies. Any chance of a relevant reply?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #16695 on: April 15, 2017, 10:37:30 AM »
Vlad,

The law of mediocrity isn't about how jaw dropping the universe is or isn't but how uniform it is.

There is no law of mediocrity. Possibly you'e thinking of the principle of mediocrity (which pretty much says the opposite of what you'd want it to say by the way, namely that there's nothing special about the fact of us or of anything else)?

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #16696 on: April 15, 2017, 10:40:29 AM »
Well....we know that in certain ways of looking at the world witness accounts DO matter.
However we have to distinguish between witnesses to the bodily resurrection and witnesses to the ascended Jesus here.

Witnesses to the resurrection are the focus here. An account of the history is submitted. The epistles were never intended for posterity but talk of a community for which the bodily resurrection is history.

Opposition to this de facto proposes another version of history. I believe proponents of this should state what it is and how the subsequent history accommodates it....otherwise they are just arguing from disbelief.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #16697 on: April 15, 2017, 10:44:35 AM »
Vlad,

There is no law of mediocrity. Possibly you'e thinking of the principle of mediocrity (which pretty much says the opposite of what you'd want it to say by the way, namely that there's nothing special about the fact of us or of anything else)?
At last you've retracted a dumb interpretation you have made.

The principle of mediocrity is precisely about the uniformity of everything....it militates against your principle of unknown unknowns (How can they be scientific?) as if there wasn't enough to militate against the relevance of those bad boys.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #16698 on: April 15, 2017, 10:45:21 AM »
Vlad,

Oh dear.

First, “far more” people have reported “encounters” with whatever god happens to be most familiar to them.

Second, if you really want to play that numbers game then you lose.

Third, you’re back into the argumentum ad populum again. Torri wa just playing on AB’s turf by pointing out that if he really wanted to follow that line then he’d have no basis on which to eliminate other popular beliefs. You missed the point though by looking for a larger set with a common opinion as if the argumentum ad populum was actually a good argument. 

Oh, and alien surgery wouldn't be investigable at all if we use your approach and throw magic into the mix such that all traces of it disappear.

Job done!

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #16699 on: April 15, 2017, 10:47:19 AM »
And?

You seem to be in denial that anybody has looked at the question of whether there has been human failing in epistiolary and gospel accounts. We've been on to it...Have you since you suggest them?