Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3734410 times)

torridon

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #17075 on: April 24, 2017, 01:02:00 PM »
It shows that I am not blinkered by trying to match my perceived reality with the limited human scientific discoveries to date.  And my ability to think this way is ample evidence that I am able to drive my own thoughts and that I am not deterministically driven by events beyond my control.
You cannot really drive your own thoughts though.  If you can choose which thought to think next that would imply that you can think a thought before you thought it. This is nonsense.  Thoughts happen to us.

torridon

« Reply #17076 on: April 24, 2017, 01:11:55 PM »
It shows that I am not blinkered by trying to match my perceived reality with the limited human scientific discoveries to date....

And much of the 'scientific discoveries' suggest that our 'perceived reality' is not to be trusted, ie it is a concoction of mind that fills a purpose rather than a true guide to objective reality.  So the question becomes, do we take on board these insights, or do we pretend otherwise, hoping they will go away ?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17077 on: April 24, 2017, 01:18:50 PM »
You cannot really drive your own thoughts though.  If you can choose which thought to think next that would imply that you can think a thought before you thought it. This is nonsense.  Thoughts happen to us.

Just to expand if there is a choice to think a thought, then that choice would be a thought which would have to have been chosen, by a previous choice which would be a thought, which would have to have been chosen by a previous choice that would be a thought.....
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 01:21:54 PM by Nearly Sane »

wigginhall

« Reply #17078 on: April 24, 2017, 01:19:29 PM »
Yes, science has shattered  'perceived reality', and continues to do so.   How many old ideas have been broken up by empirical research?   The earth is flat, the earth is the centre of everything,  the  sky is a heavenly realm, stars are 'holes in the floor of heaven', and the rainbow is a ladder to heaven.   Well, OK, if you like that kind of thing.
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17079 on: April 24, 2017, 01:24:04 PM »
Yes, science has shattered  'perceived reality', and continues to do so.   How many old ideas have been broken up by empirical research?   The earth is flat, the earth is the centre of everything,  the  sky is a heavenly realm, stars are 'holes in the floor of heaven', and the rainbow is a ladder to heaven.   Well, OK, if you like that kind of thing.
  and the idea of the unitary self with a controlling function is specifically undermined by experimental neurology but AB thinks that that can be ignored.

ippy

« Reply #17080 on: April 24, 2017, 01:25:35 PM »
I have to say A B I've been trying to explain the root of your problem to you for some time amounting to the same thing Blue is trying to penetrate into your blinkered way of thinking, unfortunately for you you're unable to escape the rather obvious indoctrinational process you've been subjected to, more than likely from birth.

I have my view of life just as you have but that would be very unjust of me to inflict my view on vulnerable young children, my own or anyone else's young, other than promoting my children to think for themselves at that so very young age, I'm not guilty of anything as sad as it looks to be for this young Charley's future upbringing; you must remember any successful indoctrination, especially of the very young, will result in the victim not realising they had been indoctrinated, as is very likely in your case.

So like others on this thread I think it's really sad to think how such a severely indoctrinated closed unit of a person impervious to any kind of rational reasoned thinking on this subject, is now more than likely rejoicing the passing on the imposition of even more indoctrination to this poor Charley, in just as the way you people have been indoctrinated to do so.

I have to admit that this getting them when they're young aspect of all religions is to me about as obscene as it gets.

ippy

wigginhall

« Reply #17081 on: April 24, 2017, 01:30:44 PM »
  and the idea of the unitary self with a controlling function is specifically undermined by experimental neurology but AB thinks that that can be ignored.

The old litany - Copernicus, Darwin, Freud - all made humans part of nature.

“Humanity has in the course of time had to endure from the hands of science two great outrages upon its naive self-love." (Freud).   He means Copernicus and Darwin, but modestly stick himself on the end. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 01:35:42 PM by wigginhall »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17082 on: April 24, 2017, 02:40:31 PM »
AB,

But the logic and evidence I see points overwhelmingly to the truth of God's existence.

Doesn’t work. The terms “logic” and “evidence” have meanings independent of what you (or I for that matter) might like them to mean. Thus various logical constructions are fallacious regardless of whether or not you like the outcomes they produce. It’s no good calling them “man-made” or some such in the hope they’ll just go away – it you want to play on the turf of logic, then you cannot complain when logic itself defeats you. Similarly with evidence – you could claim an apple on the ground to be “evidence” that a pixie put it there if you wanted to, but you’d so devalue the term if you did that it’d be meaningless.

In short, that you “see” what you think to be logic and evidence does not of itself make it either logical or evidence. 

The conclusions you draw do not make any sense to me.

But they do make sense to people capable of understanding the logic and assessing the evidence. Your personal incredulity about that does not give you licence to insist that your alternative conjectures must therefore be facts (another logical fallacy), and certainly not to assert them to be so to children.

Your faith in the capabilities of emergent properties derived only from material reactions seems incredibly optimistic.

You’re abusing the term “faith” here by conflating it with the religious version (effectively speculations gussied up as supposed facts), and my conclusion is neither optimistic nor pessimistic – it’s just a function of where the evidence points. 

And if we are both just emergence from material reactions, why does your emergence conflict so much with mine?  And why should your be right and mine be wrong???

First, that’s a non sequitur (another logical mistake). Why our positions conflict and how we decide on right and wrong tells you nothing about the case for consciousness as an emergent property.

Second, why wouldn’t we have different opinions? The chains of cause and effect that led to them are unfathomably long and complex, and have been subject to who knows how many disruptive influences along the way.

Third, by introducing right from wrong you’re implying some kind of absolute standards rather than opinions and instincts. I argue for no such thing.

Final thing: you’ve tried to argue (ok, to assert) that when the evidence contradicts your personal perceptions your personal perception must be right. This is palpably nonsense, and I and others have given you examples of when personal perceptions are clearly wrong. Rather than just ignore that as you so often do why not this time try to be honest and either explain why we’re wrong about that or withdraw the argument?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 02:42:49 PM by bluehillside »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #17083 on: April 24, 2017, 02:57:05 PM »
But, as blue has pointed out, 'perceived reality' is a very poor guide to discoveries about nature.   Humans used to 'perceive' that we are at the centre of the universe, that the earth is flat, and stars are holes in a dark curtain, and objects are solid, and so on and so on.   Are you really going to go along with naive realism?
But all the reality we know is ultimately perceived through human conscious awareness.  I agree that some earlier views get modified in the light of new discoveries.  But something as fundamental as my freedom to choose what I say or do is not up for challenge.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Alan Burns

« Reply #17084 on: April 24, 2017, 02:59:45 PM »
And much of the 'scientific discoveries' suggest that our 'perceived reality' is not to be trusted ....
Then what can you possibly trust?
Perceived reality is all we have.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17085 on: April 24, 2017, 03:01:49 PM »
But all the reality we know is ultimately perceived through human conscious awareness.  I agree that some earlier views get modified in the light of new discoveries.  But something as fundamental as my freedom to choose what I say or do is not up for challenge.

You haven't even been able to make a logical statement about what you mean by free. So in that sense you are right, your belief cannot be challenged because it is logically incoherent

Alan Burns

« Reply #17086 on: April 24, 2017, 03:02:27 PM »
Your reality must be vastly different to mine.
Are you a robot?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17087 on: April 24, 2017, 03:12:19 PM »
AB,

But that wasn't your argument. What you said was that when evidence contradicts your personal perception then your personal perception is right nonetheless. You made it a general principle: "In particular, the conclusion that we have no free will is very dubious because it conflicts with our perceived reality" etc. What you're saying now however is effectively, "OK, sometimes my personal perception is wrong when the evidence shows it to be" – a very different position.

Now though you have to figure out a method to explain when you think your personal perceptions trump the evidence and vice versa. Why for example does your personal perception about consciousness trump the evidence that shows you to be wrong, whereas your personal perception of what happens to you in a lift does not?

Good luck with it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 03:32:52 PM by bluehillside »

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #17088 on: April 24, 2017, 03:34:07 PM »
You haven't even been able to make a logical statement about what you mean by free. So in that sense you are right, your belief cannot be challenged because it is logically incoherent
I have the freedom to type whatever key I want -m ;oihjgpq;ksajvergw;bwberta ghuevp5
How can you possibly challenge this freedom?

Alan Burns

« Reply #17089 on: April 24, 2017, 03:35:59 PM »
AB,

But that wasn't your argument. What you said was that when evidence contradicts your personal perception then your personal perception is right nonetheless. You made it a general principle: "In particular, the conclusion that we have no free will is very dubious because it conflicts with our perceived reality" etc. What you're saying now however is effectively, "OK, sometimes my personal perception is wrong when the evidence shows it to be" – a very different position.

Now though you have to figure out a method to explain when you think your personal perceptions trump the evidence and vice versa. Why for example does your personal perception about consciousness trump the evidence that shows you to be wrong, whereas your personal perception of what happens to you in a lift does not?

Good luck with it.
I do not choose what happens when I am in a lift - I just try to make sense of it.
But I evidently do choose how I respond to your posts.

wigginhall

« Reply #17090 on: April 24, 2017, 03:42:54 PM »

You are hilarious.   You have to agree that many human perceptions have been shown to be wrong, e.g. flat earth, or the sun is a god,  but still, you just know that XYZ cannot be challenged - because?  Because you say so.   

It's like talking to someone in the 12th century.   

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17091 on: April 24, 2017, 03:43:49 PM »
I have the freedom to type whatever key I want -m ;oihjgpq;ksajvergw;bwberta ghuevp5
How can you possibly challenge this freedom?

Because you still haven't defined freedom in a logical fashion.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17092 on: April 24, 2017, 03:47:08 PM »
I do not choose what happens when I am in a lift - I just try to make sense of it.

Choosing something in a compatibilist sense does not mean free will. Tgat a choice is made, just as when a dog choses to run in one direction not another, does not equal free in any sense, but given that after all this time you are not capable of giving a logical definition of what fre means here to you, it woukd appear that you don't have any understanding of what you are trying to argue.

wigginhall

« Reply #17093 on: April 24, 2017, 03:50:45 PM »
It reminds me of the quote from Nietzsche: "The desire for “freedom of the will” in the superlative metaphysical sense ... still holds sway, unfortunately, in the minds of the half-educated."   Bit harsh.   (Beyond Good and Evil).

floo

« Reply #17094 on: April 24, 2017, 03:53:41 PM »
One person's 'reality' is different to that of another.

Alan Burns

« Reply #17095 on: April 24, 2017, 03:54:38 PM »
Choosing something in a compatibilist sense does not mean free will. Tgat a choice is made, just as when a dog choses to run in one direction not another, does not equal free in any sense, but given that after all this time you are not capable of giving a logical definition of what fre means here to you, it woukd appear that you don't have any understanding of what you are trying to argue.
If I were able to define my freedom in logical scientific terms, it would not be freedom - just programmed reaction according to scientifically based criteria.

But my freedom to choose what I am now typing defies any such definition or logic, because it emanates from the conscious free will of my human soul.

wigginhall

« Reply #17096 on: April 24, 2017, 03:58:54 PM »
If I were able to define my freedom in logical scientific terms, it would not be freedom - just programmed reaction according to scientifically based criteria.

But my freedom to choose what I am now typing defies any such definition or logic, because it emanates from the conscious free will of my human soul.

I suppose you are saying that you are not constrained by nature.   Or you are not in nature.   Well, I can understand the words, but I don't know what that means. 

Alan Burns

« Reply #17097 on: April 24, 2017, 04:05:28 PM »
I suppose you are saying that you are not constrained by nature.   Or you are not in nature.   Well, I can understand the words, but I don't know what that means.
Perhaps you will understand more when your entity of self awareness no longer has its link to this physical universe.

torridon

« Reply #17098 on: April 24, 2017, 04:24:26 PM »
Perhaps you will understand more when your entity of self awareness no longer has its link to this physical universe.

Eh ?  That was supposed to be a clarification ?

If you mean that we can understand things better when dead I am afraid the evidence is against you.  Dead people cannot understand, neither can they nurse ambitions or play backgammon in the shade of olive trees.  These are things that are characteristics of being alive.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17099 on: April 24, 2017, 04:26:25 PM »
AB,

You completely miss the point. When they contradict each other either you think your personal perceptions trump evidence or you don't. If, say, you sleep walked into a lift and woke up as it descended absent any other information you'd "make sense of it" by thinking you were stationary and something was rising under your feet. If you were to look outside your personal perception though, you'd have a completely different explanation.

So now we've exploded the general principle you attempted, what makes just one area of your personal perception so special that no amount of evidence to the contrary could change your mind?

What is this "I" of which you speak? The material you with consciousness as an emergent property as the evidence suggests, or does your personal perception about an irrational and un-evidenced conjecture you call "soul" trump that for some reason?

Look, I've already given you a way out of sorts of the ever-deepening problems you're giving yourself here. Just don't try to argue for your beliefs - accept that there's neither cogent logic nor meaningful evidence for them, and just tell us that you believe them anyway. That'd be fine – what you happen to believe is no-one's business but your own. Any pretensions to evangelise for those beliefs would be out of the window, but as they've long since been defenestrated anyway what would you have to lose in exchange for repairing at least some of the reputational damage you've suffered? 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 04:28:45 PM by bluehillside »

God