Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3730854 times)

bluehillside Retd.

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #17500 on: May 03, 2017, 10:20:07 AM »
AB,

But having experienced the life on earth with all its pain, suffering, good, evil, love, hatred, joy and happiness, the souls in heaven will no doubt have a richer appreciation of what heaven can offer.

But using your own "logic" if, say, someone dies young enough not to have suffered any pain in this life, does that mean that he won't be able to realise how wonderful a heaven with unlimited supplies of twiglets and Billy Graham sermons actually is?

Seems a bit cruel to me.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

torridon

« Reply #17501 on: May 03, 2017, 10:26:09 AM »
But having experienced the life on earth with all its pain, suffering, good, evil, love, hatred, joy and happiness, the souls in heaven will no doubt have a richer appreciation of what heaven can offer.

This implies that souls in heaven will have memories, both pleasant and unpleasant, of their time on Earth.  So heaven will not really be very heavenly if you are going to be eternally plagued by bad memories, not to mention a sense of loss for other souls not in heaven, not to mention a sense of guilt for all the things you could have done better while on Earth, not to mention the loss of all the good things of Earth no longer available to a resident of Heaven.  So, in summation, Heaven doesn't sound very heavenly, really.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #17502 on: May 03, 2017, 12:05:52 PM »
AB,

But using your own "logic" if, say, someone dies young enough not to have suffered any pain in this life, does that mean that he won't be able to realise how wonderful a heaven with unlimited supplies of twiglets and Billy Graham sermons actually is?

Seems a bit cruel to me.
But I assume there will be a wealth of shared experiences from other souls to call upon
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17503 on: May 03, 2017, 12:10:23 PM »
But I assume there will be a wealth of shared experiences from other souls to call upon

How does a child that dies in childbirth 'call on experiences'? In what sense are non shared experiences, shared? Admit it Alan, you've just made this up and have once again written something with no logically coherent definition. Same as your free will stuff, absolutely meaningless.

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
« Reply #17504 on: May 03, 2017, 12:51:03 PM »
Surely in his own words it would be 'What I  have witten, I have witten'. At least that's how Biggus Dickus always reported he said it
And Biggus is a superb authowity, he wanks as high as any in Wome.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #17505 on: May 03, 2017, 12:59:07 PM »
How?
According to you, the soul accesses our physical brain, which is where our memories are stored. What happens to those memories once our brain is but a lump of rotting meat?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17506 on: May 03, 2017, 01:00:40 PM »
AB,

In the absence of either cogent logic or meaningful evidence for support you assume pretty much everything Alan but, just for funsies, let's go with your latest convolution – are you now suggesting that a "soul" that had never experienced pain or loss would nonetheless have a meaningful sense of it because other "souls" just told him/her/it about it?

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #17507 on: May 03, 2017, 03:34:19 PM »
AB,

In the absence of either cogent logic or meaningful evidence for support you assume pretty much everything Alan but, just for funsies, let's go with your latest convolution – are you now suggesting that a "soul" that had never experienced pain or loss would nonetheless have a meaningful sense of it because other "souls" just told him/her/it about it?
The awareness of the human soul will no longer be restricted to a few brain cells in the physical body.  The awareness we will have in heaven will be far beyond anything we can ever imagine on this earth.  We will be in our spiritual home.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 03:39:11 PM by Alan Burns »
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17508 on: May 03, 2017, 03:40:04 PM »
The awareness of the human soul will no longer be restricted to a few brain cells in the physical body.  The awareness we will have in heaven will be far beyond anything we can ever imagine on this earth.
so we didn't need to go through life at all then. If a baby that dies in childbirth can have this awareness then life is pointless. More logical incoherence from you.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 03:45:16 PM by Nearly Sane »

floo

« Reply #17509 on: May 03, 2017, 03:47:18 PM »
The awareness of the human soul will no longer be restricted to a few brain cells in the physical body.  The awareness we will have in heaven will be far beyond anything we can ever imagine on this earth.  We will be in our spiritual home.

Whilst you might wish that to be true, you have no evidence to support it.

Alan Burns

« Reply #17510 on: May 03, 2017, 03:48:03 PM »
so we didn't need to go through life at all then. If a baby that dies in childbirth can have this awareness then life is pointless. More logical incoherence from you.
But you can't see the big picture.  Neither can I.  So I put my trust in God, not in the Devil's temptation to think we know better than God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17511 on: May 03, 2017, 03:49:35 PM »
But you can't see the big picture.  Neither can I.  So I put my trust in God, not in the Devil's temptation to think we know better than God.
I don't, I just think better than you.

Alan Burns

« Reply #17512 on: May 03, 2017, 03:54:16 PM »
I don't, I just think better than you.
But without your God given soul, you would not think - you would just have uncontrollable reactions to events.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17513 on: May 03, 2017, 03:55:48 PM »
But without your God given soul, you would not think - you would just have uncontrollable reactions to events.

And there's an example of where I do. Assertion with a begging the question and circular argument.

Alan Burns

« Reply #17514 on: May 03, 2017, 03:59:05 PM »
And there's an example of where I do. Assertion with a begging the question and circular argument.
Are you not amazed by what your naturally driven, biological machine can come up with?

ippy

« Reply #17515 on: May 03, 2017, 04:09:09 PM »

You speak about assuming, the more of your posts I read lead me to assume how much you seem to be living your life in fairyland or it could be leprechaun land.

You seem to be oblivious to how much out of touch you are with reality.

I wonder if you know that you can lead a really good life just as well as you do now, with a bonus of not having to keep making excuses for this never never land of yours.

ippy

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17516 on: May 03, 2017, 04:10:56 PM »
Are you not amazed by what your naturally driven, biological machine can come up with?
I:m amazed that you think trotting out fallacies is an argument. And I note the attempt at switching the burden of proof.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17517 on: May 03, 2017, 04:15:49 PM »
AB,

Presumably by "brain cells" you actually mean neurons, and by "few" you actually mean about a hundred billion. Leaving these things aside for now, as your conjectures and speculations appear to be solely functions of your "trust" that your beliefs are correct and as you dismiss out of hand the neuroscience that undoes you because consciousness isn't "fully defined", can you think of a good reason for anyone else to reject the partially evidenced and partially defined emergence model for your completely un-evidenced and completely undefined trust model?

God

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #17518 on: May 03, 2017, 04:31:00 PM »
the Devil's temptation
What is that and how doesn't work practically?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

torridon

« Reply #17519 on: May 03, 2017, 04:58:49 PM »

Absolutely, yes I am.

Reality, as is gradually being revealed through investigation, is way more fascinating than any of your naive make-believe.

wigginhall

« Reply #17520 on: May 03, 2017, 05:03:45 PM »
Neuroscience is indeed amazing, and I am sure that future discoveries will add to this.   If only I was young again, and could do more research.   
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

wigginhall

« Reply #17521 on: May 03, 2017, 05:38:05 PM »
Sean Lock: 'if there was no such thing as science, you'd be right'. 
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17522 on: May 03, 2017, 06:00:14 PM »
Bzzzz...Equation of science with atheism?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17523 on: May 03, 2017, 06:03:47 PM »
Apparently Sean Lock couldn't perform at one gig because he felt 'a bit funny'. His manager told him to get on stage quick before it wore off.

Alan Burns

« Reply #17524 on: May 03, 2017, 06:11:54 PM »
Absolutely, yes I am.

Reality, as is gradually being revealed through investigation, is way more fascinating than any of your naive make-believe.
And this amazing revelation is achieved by the aimless, chaotic, inherently destructive forces of nature.
 ???