Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3729798 times)

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #17625 on: May 06, 2017, 12:31:51 PM »
Depends on what is being presented as being evidence in the first place, and then there is the risk in what you say here that if you've already decided which 'direction' suits you then your ability to both identify credible evidence and assess any evidence that is contrary to your preferred 'direction' of travel may be compromised. 

Don't be silly: picking you guys up on fallacies or asking you how you've excluded risks involving human artifice doesn't necessarily involve evidence, and especially so if there is none presented that stands scrutiny: the obvious example being what method(s) should be used to scrutinise the supernatural claims you cite in support of your God (such as so-called miracles).
My take on things is that we are surrounded by overwhelming evidence of God's amazing creativity, yet so many people are deluded into thinking it all happened naturally from nothing more than the unattended consequences from a cloud of exploding gas.

And many ignore the evidence of our own supernatural spirituality by assuming that our conscious free will is just an illusion.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 12:34:55 PM by Alan Burns »
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

floo

« Reply #17626 on: May 06, 2017, 12:35:13 PM »
My take on things is that we are surrounded by overwhelming evidence of God's amazing creativity, yet so many people are deluded into thinking it all happened naturally from nothing more than the unattended consequences from a cloud of exploding gas.

And we ignore the evidence of our own supernatural spirituality by assuming that our conscious free will is just an illusion.

If the Biblical god is responsible for creation, it is responsible for cocking it all up, and doesn't deserve any praise, let alone worship! >:(

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17627 on: May 06, 2017, 12:38:14 PM »
If the Biblical god is responsible for creation, it is responsible for cocking it all up, and doesn't deserve any praise, let alone worship! >:(
How do you know it is all cocked up? Is it something you just know or do you have evidence that as far as the universe is concerned things are not right?

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #17628 on: May 06, 2017, 01:19:37 PM »
, yet so many people are deluded
How so, exactly?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #17629 on: May 06, 2017, 01:58:58 PM »

Yes well we know your 'take' is founded in numerous fallacies whereas the 'exploding gas' alternative (even if your use of this term is simplistic) has at least some supporting evidence.

And many ignore the evidence of our own supernatural spirituality by assuming that our conscious free will is just an illusion.

Not really: you've yet to present any evidence for this, where 'supernatural spirituality' is yet another example of reification. You seem unable to post without resorting to fallacies.

BeRational

« Reply #17630 on: May 06, 2017, 01:59:23 PM »
There is evidence of correlation of brain activity with conscious thought, but correlation does not imply causation.

Agreed.

What evidence do you have for a soul?

Nothing from what you have posted to date, just assertion.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

floo

« Reply #17631 on: May 06, 2017, 02:41:28 PM »
How do you know it is all cocked up? Is it something you just know or do you have evidence that as far as the universe is concerned things are not right?

If god is responsible for creating human nature, it either cocked up BIG TIME, or it enjoys seeing humans suffer!

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17632 on: May 06, 2017, 02:52:09 PM »
NS,

As you know, I disagree with by this characterisation of AB.

But why? Here's the quote:

"But we do have the ability to choose to ignore evidence which might take us in a direction we do not wish to go.  I fear that some non believers cherry pick the evidence that suits what they want to believe and deliberately ignore or try to falsify any evidence to the contrary."

AB dismisses the logic that undoes him as "man-made", refuses even to contemplate the evidence for speciation etc. If that's not cherry picking so as not to go in a direction he doesn't like, what is?
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17633 on: May 06, 2017, 03:01:24 PM »
NS,

"But we do have the ability to choose to ignore evidence which might take us in a direction we do not wish to go.  I fear that some non believers cherry pick the evidence that suits what they want to believe and deliberately ignore or try to falsify any evidence to the contrary."

AB dismisses the logic that undoes him as "man-made", refuses even to contemplate the evidence for speciation etc. If that's not cherry picking so as not to go in a direction he doesn't like, what is?

A form of cognitive dissonance, I would suggest. His experience seems to him to trump anything that can be said.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 03:21:18 PM by Nearly Sane »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17634 on: May 06, 2017, 03:46:52 PM »
Vlad,

My original post this morning was about your treatment of the rationalwiki quote and definition of Philosophical Naturalism. What are you quoting? Something different?

The Wikipedia page on philosophical naturalism. If you want the RationalWiki one though it makes no difference. Here it is:

Philosophical naturalism is the doctrine that the natural world is all there is — in other words, that the supernatural is definitionally impossible, since whatever is shown to exist (via affecting the natural world) is clearly part of that same natural world.[1]

Basically all scientists (and a vast majority of modern philosophers) adhere to some version of naturalism, which is why reference to supernatural or miraculous effects or forces is frowned upon in academia.[2]

Two refinements of the term "naturalism" that are of use for any rationalist to know are methodological naturalism (on the one hand) and metaphysical naturalism (on the other).

Science is itself a process based on methodological naturalism, i.e. treating the world as if metaphysical naturalism was the case (even in utmost issues of philosophy), but without actually taking a stand on matters philosophical (outside of method).[3]

Metaphysical naturalism, on the other hand, is what it means to extend scientific principles all the way into the farthest reaches of philosophy. Scouting future territory for the natural sciences to conduct research in (and defending naturalism generally), philosophical naturalism is what Richard Carrier simply describes as "science with less data",[4] operating in anticipation of scientific data where possible.

Metaphysical naturalism is more or less a basic precept of all modern analytic philosophy , which was itself formed partially in protest of the centuries of woo that had accreted in philosophy prior to the explosive triumph of modern science in the last 150 years or so.

Strict adherence to methodological naturalism creates a theoretical space in which positions like NOMA may be compatibly held by those who chose to do so. Methodological naturalism is, as such, the "minimum position" to which science is reducible[5] — and it still entails not giving the time of day to woo-meistry.
In that context, metaphysical naturalism simply means "closing" said NOMA/gaps space by taking the fight all the way against theology and accommodationism.[6]

Furthermore you are giving your commentary of it. In fact your reply is heavy on your commentary.

Stop avoiding and bring yourself to quote the rationalwiki definition of philosophical naturalism.

There is no avoidance. Here’s something that will explain where you’re going wrong though (also from RationalWiki):

Quote mining (also contextomy or, when used to attack somebody, Breitbarting) is the fallacious tactic of taking quotes out of context in order to make them seemingly agree with the quote miner's viewpoint or to make the comments of an opponent seem more extreme or hold positions they don't in order to make their positions easier to refute or demonize.[2] It's a way of lying. This tactic is widely used among Young Earth Creationists in an attempt to discredit evolution.

Quote mining is an informal fallacy and a fallacy of ambiguity, in that it removes context that is necessary to understand the mined quote.”

methodological naturalism has no philosophical entailment.

Other than the method itself, that’s right. Are you finally getting it? Wow!

Any definition you have given contains philosophical entailment.

No it doesn’t. Specifically, it does "not take a stand on methods philosophical” at all, and certainly not on the metaphysical naturalism you keep trying to yoke to it.

There is no getting away therefore from your conflation and confusion of Methodological naturalism and philosophical naturalism.

And now you can see why a debate would be pointless. You’ve been categorically shown to have your terms confused but, rather than accept that, adjust your claim and move on, you just assert the opposite to be the case.

And that’s dishonest.

Incidentally, as your thought processes are so shambolic and as you find me in generous mood, let me unscramble them for you once and for all.

You describe a position in which scientific principles – essentially materialism – extend into a statement of philosophical certainty, namely that the material is necessarily all there is.

You then mischaracterise that as “philosophical naturalism” whereas in fact what you mean is “metaphysical naturalism”. No matter – you’ve been corrected now, and you can use the correct term in future.

Then though you argue (OK, assert) that metaphysical naturalism (as you now know it to be called) is problematic because methodological naturalism doesn’t demonstrate it.
This is wrong. Metaphysical naturalism (as you now know it to be called remember?) is problematic, but not because of the supposed failings of methodological naturalism. It’s problematic for the same reason that any claim of certainty is problematic – there’s no way to eliminate the possibility at least of data that would falsify the claim.

Metaphysical naturalism does not however rely on methodological naturalism for support, and nor does methodological naturalism have anything at all to say about metaphysical naturalism (which you now know... etc). To the contrary, methodological naturalism merely proceeds as if naturalism is the only game in town because that’s all its tools and methods can address.

Does this imply in some way that there is a non-material? Of course not – for that claim to be distinguishable from white noise its proponent would have to provide tools and methods of his own to investigate the claim. Which is the point at which you always suddenly remember that you have another appointment to attend to.

Anyways, now you have no excuse to get this wrong again have you? If ever you do go a bit wobbly again though, can I suggest that you carry a copy of this around in your wallet for easy reference?

Jolly good. So there's you straw man correctly phrased. Now all you have to do is to find someone who actually is a metaphysical naturalist so you can take the matter up with him. Good luck with the search!

You’re welcome.   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:08:25 PM by bluehillside »

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17635 on: May 06, 2017, 03:48:44 PM »
NS,

A form of cognitive dissonance, I would suggest. His experience seems to him to trump anything that can be said.

Well yes, but the workings are the same aren't they - refusing even to consider logic or evidence that would falsify him because he doesn't like the answer?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:02:53 PM by bluehillside »

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #17636 on: May 06, 2017, 05:03:02 PM »
NS,

.....  refusing even to consider logic or evidence that would falsify him because he doesn't like the
Just to clarify, I do not dispute any of the evidence presented - just the conclusions you draw from it.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17637 on: May 06, 2017, 05:08:06 PM »
Hillside you say I am confusing metaphysical naturalism with philosophical naturalism.

Here is the Wikipedia entry for metaphysical naturalism...and I leave you with todays polishing duties to explain why you think there is a difference between metaphysical naturalism and philosophical naturalism.

''Metaphysical naturalism, also called ontological naturalism, philosophical naturalism, and scientific materialism is a worldview, which holds that there is nothing but natural elements, principles, and relations of the kind studied by the natural sciences. That is, those required to understand our physical environment by mathematical modelling. In contrast, methodological naturalism is an assumption of naturalism as a methodology of science, for which metaphysical naturalism provides only one possible ontological foundation.'' source Wikipedia
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 06:03:04 PM by Emergence-The musical »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17638 on: May 06, 2017, 06:20:43 PM »
Vlad,

Hillside you say I am confusing metaphysical naturalism with philosophical naturalism.

Actually "conflating" rather than "confusing", but no matter.

Here is the Wikipedia entry for metaphysical naturalism...

''Metaphysical naturalism, also called ontological naturalism, philosophical naturalism, and scientific materialism is a worldview, which holds that there is nothing but natural elements, principles, and relations of the kind studied by the natural sciences. That is, those required to understand our physical environment by mathematical modelling. In contrast, methodological naturalism is an assumption of naturalism as a methodology of science, for which metaphysical naturalism provides only one possible ontological foundation.'' source Wikipedia

Aw, look what you just did. I went to the trouble just a few posts ago of explaining quote mining to you, and you went right ahead and did it again anyway! Shame on you you naughty, naughty boy you.

So let’s keep reading the same article from the same source shall we?

Metaphysical naturalism is an approach to metaphysics or ontology, which deals with existence per se. It should not be confused with methodological naturalism, which sees empiricism as the basis for the scientific method."

Say what now? Metaphysical naturalism “should not be confused with methodological naturalism”?!?!?!

No! Say it ain’t so! Turns out then that “also called” doesn’t mean “means the same thing” at all!

Who’d have thunk it eh? What are the chances? Gor blimey guv’nor, there’s a turn up for the books etc etc.

But wait! There’s more!:

Regarding science and evolution, Eugenie C. Scott, a notable opponent of teaching creationism or intelligent design in US public schools, stresses the importance of separating metaphysical from methodological naturalism:

If it is important for Americans to learn about science and evolution, decoupling the two forms of naturalism is essential strategy. ... I suggest that scientists can defuse some of the opposition to evolution by first recognizing that the vast majority of Americans are believers, and that most Americans want to retain their faith. It is demonstrable that individuals can retain religious beliefs and still accept evolution as science. Scientists should avoid confusing the methodological naturalism of science with metaphysical naturalism.[5]

— Eugenie C. Scott, Creationism, Ideology, and Science

So there we have it. You looked for a reference (RationalWiki) you thought would support you if you quote mined from it selectively enough but that turned out to falsify you after you looked at the quote in context. Rather than have the decency to concede the point and move on, instead you scuttled off to find a different source that you thought would support you if you quote mined that one too, and instead that one too blew up in your face when you bothered reading the context!

What next? The Janet & John Book of Philosophy only with all the relevant bits carefully snipped out too?

Do tell. 

But hang on again. What did that highly selective quote you posted say again?:

...methodological naturalism is an assumption of naturalism as a methodology of science, for which metaphysical naturalism provides only one possible ontological foundation.'' source Wikipedia

But, but, but...you've invested all this time telling us that "philosophical naturalism" (by which you actually meant metaphysical naturalism) is problematic because methodological naturalism doesn't doesn't "demonstrate" it, when it turns out that metaphysical naturalism provides "only one possible ontological foundation for it"

Man when you shoot yourself in the foot you really give it both barrels don't you. Priceless!

…and I leave you with todays turdpolishing duties to explain why you think there is a difference between metaphysical naturalism and philosophical naturalism.

Ask Eugenie Scott!  I think perhaps I’ve had sport enough with you now so I’ll leave you to your private embarrassment here.

Now your labelling errors have been so comprehensively smashed out of the park though, perhaps you’d care to turn your attention to the bigger problem you’ve given yourself – namely that no-one much actually subscribes to the metaphysical naturalism straw man you’re so desperate to pin on them in any case. 

Looking forward to it!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 06:38:40 PM by bluehillside »

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17639 on: May 06, 2017, 06:44:06 PM »
AB,

Just to clarify, I do not dispute any of the evidence presented - just the conclusions you draw from it.

In the case of evolutionary speciation it’s not the conclusions that “I” draw from it, but rather that pretty much the entire scientific study of the subject draws from it. If you looked at the evidence with an open mind you’d conclude the same thing.

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17640 on: May 06, 2017, 07:01:39 PM »
Vlad,

Actually "conflating" rather than "confusing", but no matter.

Aw, look what you just did. I went to the trouble just a few posts ago of explaining quote mining to you, and you went right ahead and did it again anyway! Shame on you you naughty, naughty boy you.

So let’s keep reading the same article from the same source shall we?

Metaphysical naturalism is an approach to metaphysics or ontology, which deals with existence per se. It should not be confused with methodological naturalism, which sees empiricism as the basis for the scientific method."

Say what now? Metaphysical naturalism “should not be confused with methodological naturalism”?!?!?!

No! Say it ain’t so! Turns out then that “also called” doesn’t mean “means the same thing” at all!

Who’d have thunk it eh? What are the chances? Gor blimey guv’nor, there’s a turn up for the books etc etc.

But wait! There’s more!:

Regarding science and evolution, Eugenie C. Scott, a notable opponent of teaching creationism or intelligent design in US public schools, stresses the importance of separating metaphysical from methodological naturalism:

If it is important for Americans to learn about science and evolution, decoupling the two forms of naturalism is essential strategy. ... I suggest that scientists can defuse some of the opposition to evolution by first recognizing that the vast majority of Americans are believers, and that most Americans want to retain their faith. It is demonstrable that individuals can retain religious beliefs and still accept evolution as science. Scientists should avoid confusing the methodological naturalism of science with metaphysical naturalism.[5]

— Eugenie C. Scott, Creationism, Ideology, and Science

So there we have it. You looked for a reference (RationalWiki) you thought would support you if you quote mined from it selectively enough but that turned out to falsify you after you looked at the quote in context. Rather than have the decency to concede the point and move on, instead you scuttled off to find a different source that you thought would support you if you quote mined that one too, and instead that one too blew up in your face when you bothered reading the context!

What next? The Janet & John Book of Philosophy only with all the relevant bits carefully snipped out too?

Do tell. 

But hang on again. What did that highly selective quote you posted say again?:

But, but, but...you've invested all this time telling us that "philosophical naturalism" (by which you actually meant metaphysical naturalism) is problematic because methodological naturalism doesn't doesn't "demonstrate" it, when it turns out that metaphysical naturalism provides "only one possible ontological foundation for it"

Man when you shoot yourself in the foot you really give it both barrels don't you. Priceless!

Ask Eugenie Scott!  I think perhaps I’ve had sport enough with you now so I’ll leave you to your private embarrassment here.

Now your labelling errors have been so comprehensively smashed out of the park though, perhaps you’d care to turn your attention to the bigger problem you’ve given yourself – namely that no-one much actually subscribes to the metaphysical naturalism straw man you’re so desperate to pin on them in any case. 

Looking forward to it!
Great son of nutty slack!!!
The prince of red herring non sequitur quotes is accusing me of quote mining my definitions.

A definition is a definition is a definition.

He who rises by Wikipedia falls by wiki etc.

Eugenia Scott has obviously seen the danger of confusing metaphysical or as it is known alternatively, philosophical naturalism (source Wikipedia) with methodological naturalism...You would do well to heed her warning.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17641 on: May 06, 2017, 09:50:46 PM »
Vlad,

Great son of nutty slack!!!

And all who sail in her…

The prince of red herring non sequitur quotes is accusing me of quote mining my definitions.

Yes. Unequivocally so.

(Oh, and you won’t find any examples of me trying red herrings and non sequitur either by the way (I wouldn't dream of stepping on your turf). Well done for finally managing to spell non sequitur though. For that at least you get 10/10.)

A definition is a definition is a definition.

Indeed – which is precisely your undoing. Do I really need to spell it out for you again?

Really?

OK. Imagine that you had staged a play and I was the drama critic for your local paper – the Trollboy Tribune. Let’s say that the play was shit – properly, properly shit – so my review read (and I quote): “Terrific that Vlad attempted to revive this turkey, but it’s a piece of ordure nonetheless”.

You though wanted to publicise your play so, after a due amount of Vladdish mendacity, you posted outside your theatre some really, really big signs. And you know what those signs would say? Yup….

"“TERRIFIC” – Trollboy Tribune."

After all, “a definition is a definition is a definition” right?

He who rises by Wikipedia falls by wiki etc.

And indeed RationalWiki. And while you’re at it, the Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy too. And guess what? Yup, you “fell” by all of them. Spectacularly so in fact.

Eugenia Scott has obviously seen the danger of confusing metaphysical or as it is known alternatively, philosophical naturalism (source Wikipedia) with methodological naturalism...You would do well to heed her warning.

“Daddy, Daddy – there’s a man over there in the sea clinging to a concrete lifebelt. Why is he doing that?”

"I don’t know my love – but he seems to be drowning awful fast."

Look laddo – you crashed and burned here. Toe-curlingly, embarrassingly so because it was done at your own hand - and not once, but twice. Deal with it. Learn from your mistakes, lick your wounds, accept the defeat and move on. Seriously. OK, your “philosophical naturalism is a problematic because methodological naturalism doesn’t demonstrate, it and besides it’s all a big fat straw man anyway” schtick is a busted flush but who knows – maybe, just maybe, you actually have something that isn’t logically hopeless to bring to the table.

Your do don’t you?

Something?

Anything?   

Ah well. I guess not then.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 10:37:30 PM by bluehillside »

God

torridon

« Reply #17642 on: May 07, 2017, 07:44:03 AM »
But we do have the ability to choose to ignore evidence which might take us in a direction we do not wish to go.  I fear that some non believers cherry pick the evidence that suits what they want to believe and deliberately ignore or try to falsify any evidence to the contrary.

You're havin' a larf right ?  You are accusing others of cherry-picking to suit ?  This would be the same Mr Burns that denies being a science denier whilst blithely dismissing the core tenets of evolutionary biology, the most deeply and broadly researched branches of all science ? as if you would catch the likes of SKoS doing that. This would be the same Mr Burns that has no issues with general relativity or quantum electrodynamics but when it comes to the work on neural correlates, that is dismissed as just coincidence not causation, as if you would find the likes of Sane doing that. This would be the same Mr Burns that cherry picks out a single piece of work by Fred Hoyle on the improbability of proteins forming spontaneously whilst quietly ignoring that fact that this view is now fifty years out of date and the field of biogenesis has moved on, as if you would catch the likes of Hillside or Gordon doing that. This would be the same Mr Burns that claims as an interventionist miracle when he finds a parking space at the supermarket but fails to claim it as an unmiracle whenever a sick child goes right ahead and dies despite all the prayers of her family for her to get better.

What you see as the cherry picking by others is more likely their refusal to share your particular set of biases, preferring to remain avowedly unbiased. Before you have the gall to accuse others of cherry picking go and buy one of those mirror things and take a good hard look in it.  Maybe all humans exhibit confirmation bias to some degree, but you offer us all a masterclass in it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 07:47:39 AM by torridon »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17643 on: May 07, 2017, 08:52:13 AM »
Vlad,

And all who sail in her…

Yes. Unequivocally so.

(Oh, and you won’t find any examples of me trying red herrings and non sequitur either by the way (I wouldn't dream of stepping on your turf). Well done for finally managing to spell non sequitur though. For that at least you get 10/10.)

Indeed – which is precisely your undoing. Do I really need to spell it out for you again?

Really?

OK. Imagine that you had staged a play and I was the drama critic for your local paper – the Trollboy Tribune. Let’s say that the play was shit – properly, properly shit – so my review read (and I quote): “Terrific that Vlad attempted to revive this turkey, but it’s a piece of ordure nonetheless”.

You though wanted to publicise your play so, after a due amount of Vladdish mendacity, you posted outside your theatre some really, really big signs. And you know what those signs would say? Yup….

"“TERRIFIC” – Trollboy Tribune."

After all, “a definition is a definition is a definition” right?

And indeed RationalWiki. And while you’re at it, the Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy too. And guess what? Yup, you “fell” by all of them. Spectacularly so in fact.

“Daddy, Daddy – there’s a man over there in the sea clinging to a concrete lifebelt. Why is he doing that?”

"I don’t know my love – but he seems to be drowning awful fast."

Look laddo – you crashed and burned here. Toe-curlingly, embarrassingly so because it was done at your own hand - and not once, but twice. Deal with it. Learn from your mistakes, lick your wounds, accept the defeat and move on. Seriously. OK, your “philosophical naturalism is a problematic because methodological naturalism doesn’t demonstrate, it and besides it’s all a big fat straw man anyway” schtick is a busted flush but who knows – maybe, just maybe, you actually have something that isn’t logically hopeless to bring to the table.

Your do don’t you?

Something?

Anything?   

Ah well. I guess not then.
Let's just get stuff straight Hillside.

You seemed to suggest my definitions were singular. They turn out to be the definitions found in rationalwiki and Wikipedia.

When asked for the definitions of philosophical naturalism your quotes frequently go to methodological materialism.

You say I am mistaking metaphysical naturalism with philosophical naturalism. Yet Wikipedia has them as being one and the same.

You denounce my argument that some around confuse or conflate  metaphysical naturalism AKA philosophical naturalism with methodological naturalism (source Wikipedia) as a straw man argument. And yet you quote Eugenie Scott's critique of people who do exactly that.

n the other hand you now seem to be back in the fold of those of us committed to separating philosophical Naturalism from methodological naturalism (I shall prepare the fatted calf) although backsliding is a possibility...

...and at least you have taken these terms seriously unlike the knuckle draggers.

Is philosophical naturalism undone by having no philosophical support from methodological naturalism?......We are left to wonder then where it gets it's justification for it's central premise from...I'm all ears.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 09:05:32 AM by Emergence-The musical »

Alan Burns

« Reply #17644 on: May 07, 2017, 10:29:58 AM »
You're havin' a larf right ?  You are accusing others of cherry-picking to suit ?  This would be the same Mr Burns that denies being a science denier whilst blithely dismissing the core tenets of evolutionary biology .......
I do not dismiss the findings of evolutionary biology or other scientific investigations.  They are showing how things work at the material level.  But as in Lewis's essay on "Fern Seed and Elephants",  many scientists are so busy examining the minutia of the physical workings, they fail to see the bigger picture in front of them.

floo

« Reply #17645 on: May 07, 2017, 10:39:32 AM »
I do not dismiss the findings of evolutionary biology or other scientific investigations.  They are showing how things work at the material level.  But as in Lewis's essay on "Fern Seed and Elephants",  many scientists are so busy examining the minutia of the physical workings, they fail to see the bigger picture in front of them.

The bigger picture is whatever you want it to be hence the considerable number of world religions, with not one shred of evidence to support them.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17646 on: May 07, 2017, 10:49:45 AM »
The bigger picture is whatever you want it to be hence the considerable number of world religions, with not one shred of evidence to support them.
I feel you are attempting the ''Acid turns litmus red therefore God does not exist'' argument here.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #17647 on: May 07, 2017, 10:57:33 AM »

I'm not certain that a 1959 effort, originally titled 'Modern Theology and Biblical Criticism', by a non-scientist is in any sense relevant to current scientific knowledge and ongoing research. 

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17648 on: May 07, 2017, 11:10:49 AM »
Quote miner General,

Let's just get stuff straight Hillside.

I already have. Let’s whether it’s sunk in though shall we?

You seemed to suggest my definitions were singular. They turn out to be the definitions found in rationalwiki and Wikipedia.

Er, no. What I actually think is that RationalWiki and Wiki set out the position perfectly clearly, only you don’t like that so quote mine from them instead.

When asked for the definitions of philosophical naturalism your quotes frequently go to methodological materialism.

Because that’s what the references you though supported you but don’t do.

You say I am mistaking metaphysical naturalism with philosophical naturalism. Yet Wikipedia has them as being one and the same.

“Metaphysical naturalism is an approach to metaphysics or ontology, which deals with existence per se. It should not be confused with methodological naturalism, which sees empiricism as the basis for the scientific method." (Wiki)

In case you miss it again, here’s the key bit in bold: “Metaphysical naturalism…should not be confused with methodological naturalism, which sees empiricism as the basis for the scientific method."

And in red: “Metaphysical naturalism…should not be confused with methodological naturalism, which sees empiricism as the basis for the scientific method."

And in a larger font just for good measure: “Metaphysical naturalism…should not be confused with methodological naturalism, which sees empiricism as the basis for the scientific method."

All clear now? Good. So from now on, you have no excuse whatever for asserting them to be “one and the same thing” again have you.

You denounce my argument…

Actually I falsify it, and you have no argument – just assertion. Nonetheless…

…that some around confuse or conflate  metaphysical naturalism AKA philosophical naturalism with methodological naturalism (source Wikipedia)…

See above for what Wiki actually says but OK…

…as a straw man argument. And yet you quote Eugenie Scott's critique of people who do exactly that.

Nope. Your problem is first that you get the terminology wrong. The straw man part is that, even when we unscramble the terminology for you, no-one actually subscribes to the position you try to pin on them in any case. Not me, and so far as I can tell not anyone else here either.

On the other hand you now seem to be back in the fold of those of us committed to separating philosophical Naturalism from methodological naturalism (I shall prepare the fatted calf) although backsliding is a possibility...

...and at least you have taken these terms seriously unlike the knuckle draggers.

I have no idea what you’re trying to say here.

Is philosophical naturalism undone by having no philosophical support from methodological naturalism?......We are left to wonder then where it gets it's justification for it's central premise from...I'm all ears.

If by “philosophical naturalism” you’re trying to describe metaphysical naturalism (see Wiki, RationalWiki etc) I have no idea where it gets its “philosophical support” from as I’ve explained to you already. It seems to me to be unsupportable because there’s no way to eliminate the possibility of an unknown unknown spoiling the party. 

If on the other hand you’re trying to describe the position that the physical is all we know of that’s reliably accessible and investigable (which incidentally has been my position all along) then again it doesn’t get “support” for that from methodological naturalism. It’s just a matter of observation. Methodological naturalism takes no stand on either philosophical or metaphysical naturalism (again, see Wiki and RationalWiki for details) and merely proceeds as if either or both was the case.

You’re welcome (again)

God

floo

« Reply #17649 on: May 07, 2017, 11:25:45 AM »
I feel you are attempting the ''Acid turns litmus red therefore God does not exist'' argument here.

I am saying as there is no evidence to support the existence of god, the default position is unbelief, unless proved otherwise.