Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3729170 times)

Gordon

• Administrator
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #18075 on: May 22, 2017, 05:49:12 PM »
If my posts make you feel uncomfortable, then this gives me hope.

Then you're fooling yourself.

The Christian faith is not what we would choose for an easy life.  Peter never wanted to become a Christian disciple and leader - he wanted to carry on as a fisherman.  But choosing the easy option may not be he right option.  Embracing the Christian faith will reveal the true meaning for which we were brought into existence.  You will realise that we are not just an accident of the unguided, aimless forces of nature, but part of God's wonderful creation with a divine purpose.

Did Peter say anything about the problem of some (but not all) Christians peddling fallacy-ridden bollocks? In your case, Alan, I'd check that out!

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18076 on: May 22, 2017, 05:51:03 PM »
AB,

I have never claimed that we have unrestricted freedom - this is just confusing the issue.

That's exactly what you claim. If you seriously think that "free" will is free of the constraints of cause and effect then it is "unrestricted". 

What else would restrict it?
"Don't make me come down there."

God

ippy

« Reply #18077 on: May 22, 2017, 05:53:16 PM »
If my posts make you feel uncomfortable, then this gives me hope.  The Christian faith is not what we would choose for an easy life.  Peter never wanted to become a Christian disciple and leader - he wanted to carry on as a fisherman.  But choosing the easy option may not be he right option.  Embracing the Christian faith will reveal the true meaning for which we were brought into existence.  You will realise that we are not just an accident of the unguided, aimless forces of nature, but part of God's wonderful creation with a divine purpose.

If you were to attempt some smilar psychical gymnastics that compared with your verbal gymnastics, you would need to be taken to a hospital, (taken, I doubt you'd be able to convey yourself), even then they'd have quite a challenge and probably wouldn't know where to start unravelling the knots you have tied yourself into Alan.

All your posts amount to persistently flying into the face of rational logic, fingers in the ears and just repeating goddit no matter how anyone puts things to you.

Barmy, have a good day Alan.

ippy

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18078 on: May 22, 2017, 05:53:54 PM »
AB,

If my posts make you feel uncomfortable...

They do make me feel uncomfortable, but only on your behalf.

...then this gives me hope.

It shouldn't. It really, really shouldn't.

God

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #18079 on: May 22, 2017, 06:09:26 PM »
AB,

That's exactly what you claim. If you seriously think that "free" will is free of the constraints of cause and effect then it is "unrestricted". 

What else would restrict it?
My claim is simply that we have freedom to consciously choose between several viable options, rather than have the option chosen for us by the physically deterministic forces of nature.  I have used my God given gift of free will to consciously choose to accept Jesus as my saviour.  I have never claimed that human free will does not have a cause.  Just that the cause is free from the restrictions of physical determinism.  Of course, if you claim that there can be nothing but physical determinism, then you will have to assume that all your perceived choices are an illusion.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:13:17 PM by Alan Burns »
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18080 on: May 22, 2017, 06:13:41 PM »
AB,

My claim is simply that we have freedom consciously choose between several viable options, rather than have the option chosen for us by the physically deterministic forces of nature.  I have used my God given gift of free will to consciously choose to accept Jesus as my saviour.  I have never claimed that human free will does not have a cause.  Just that the cause is free from the restrictions of physical determinism.  Of course, if you claim that there can be nothing but physical determinism, then you will have to assume that all your perceived choices are an illusion.

So your latest reverse ferret is that "free" will isn't free after all, but the constraint from which it's not free is actually non-physical determinism (whatever that would be).

Is that where you've arrived at now?

God

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #18081 on: May 22, 2017, 06:13:51 PM »
.  Of course, if you claim that there can be nothing but physical determinism, then you will have to assume that all your perceived choices are an illusion.
Of course if it is an illusion which is indistinguishable from the free will that you describe. Where does that leave you?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Alan Burns

« Reply #18082 on: May 22, 2017, 06:20:34 PM »
AB,

So your latest reverse ferret is that "free" will isn't free after all, but the constraint from which it's not free is actually non-physical determinism (whatever that would be).

It is where I have been all the time.  We have spiritually derived freedom to make choices.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18083 on: May 22, 2017, 06:22:46 PM »
AB,

Alan has been asked this precisely throughout the thread. He was in particular asked it by Some Kind of Stranger on this exact point. I suspect Alan's not answering and evasion drove SKoS to set up a training school on a small atoll in the Marshall Islands to train people not to evade questions. He is still there. Alan is still here not answering after being asked many hundreds of times.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18084 on: May 22, 2017, 06:23:27 PM »
AB,

It is where I have been all the time.  We have spiritually derived freedom to make choices.

No it isn't. You pouffed "soul" into being all along, but to my knowledge this is the first time you've pouffed "non-material determinism" into existence. How in your head at least would that work?

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18085 on: May 22, 2017, 06:25:49 PM »
indeed, still not answering in a logically coherent way. How dies freedom work outside of determinism/random ness? Note sticking 'spiritual' another word you have been unable to define in any logically coherent way in the sentence doesn't help, it makes it worse. Why are you unable to say what you mean in a logically coherent fashion?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18086 on: May 22, 2017, 06:30:43 PM »
Hi NS,

Alan has been asked this precisely throughout the thread. He was in particular asked it by Some Kind of Stranger on this exact point. I suspect Alan's not answering and evasion drove SKoS to set up a training school on a small atoll in the Marshall Islands to train people not to evade questions. He is still there. Alan is still here not answering after being asked many hundreds of times.

I've seem him ignore every request to address his "not deterministic/not random" incoherence but this is the first time I've seen him suggest that "free" will is deterministic after all, only a special kind of determinism – "non-material determinism" – is apparently at play. 

What on earth he means by it and how it would work is anyones guess, as is the problem that whether material of not a deterministic "free" will (presumably) wouldn't be free after all.

Oh well - confusion and incoherence piled upon confusion and incoherence is all he has in the locker it seems.   

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18087 on: May 22, 2017, 06:35:52 PM »
Hi NS,

I've seem him ignore every request to address his "not deterministic/not random" incoherence but this is the first time I've seen him suggest that "free" will is deterministic after all, only a special kind of determinism – "non-material determinism" – is apparently at play. 

What on earth he means by it and how it would work is anyones guess, as is the problem that whether material of not a deterministic "free" will (presumably) wouldn't be free after all.

Oh well - confusion and incoherence piled upon confusion and incoherence is all he has in the locker it seems.

It makes no difference, as was pointed out by SKoS continually. You could call it May determinism, Corbyn determinism or even wanky cheese biscuits determinism  but it is still the same thing. Alan has offered no coherent definition of 'free'.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18088 on: May 22, 2017, 07:16:56 PM »
NS,

It makes no difference, as was pointed out by SKoS continually. You could call it May determinism, Corbyn determinism or even wanky cheese biscuits determinism  but it is still the same thing. Alan has offered no coherent definition of 'free'.

Quite so, except of course if instead of May, Corbyn etc you call it spiritual then all bets are off - he can be as incoherent and logically inconsistent as he likes because "spiritual" means, like, you know, magic

Or something.

Innit.

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18089 on: May 22, 2017, 07:27:52 PM »
NS,

Quite so, except of course if instead of May, Corbyn etc you call it spiritual then all bets are off - he can be as incoherent and logically inconsistent as he likes because "spiritual" means, like, you know, magic

Or something.

Innit.
I think this misses the point, it wouldn't matter if 'spiritual' was defined coherently, it still doesn't get round the issue of no logical coherence for the use of free.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18090 on: May 22, 2017, 07:34:26 PM »
NS,

I think this misses the point, it wouldn't matter if 'spiritual' was defined coherently, it still doesn't get round the issue of no logical coherence for the use of free.

Yes I know it misses the point for the grown ups (I said as much a while back) but not for AB. For him, terms' like "spiritual" are all that's needed to get him off the hook with no definition of any kind, coherent, incoherent or cheese and onion flavoured. And when someone points out this fairly obvious problem, he just tells us that - unlike him it seems - we're not seeing "the big picture".

So there it is. What's white noise to anyone else isn't white noise to him, and he's bewildered by the inability of the rest of us just to take his word for it that he alone sees this alleged big picture.   

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #18091 on: May 22, 2017, 08:30:28 PM »
Why is it so difficult for you lot to get to grips with the concept that human free will is simply the freedom to consciously choose between several viable choices?  I have never suggested it is unrestricted or random - simply that it is free from the dictates of physically determined chains of cause and effect, which would render the apparent freedom to choose to be an illusion.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18092 on: May 22, 2017, 08:35:20 PM »
Why is it so difficult for you lot to get to grips with the concept that human free will is simply the freedom to consciously choose between several viable choices?  I have never suggested it is unrestricted or random - simply that it is free from the dictates of physically determined chains of cause and effect, which would render the apparent freedom to choose to be an illusion.
It's difficult because as has been pointed out to you many many many many tines, Alan, sticking physical/spiritual determined or wanky cheese biscuit determined, doesn't get you away from determined to sine definition of free. Why is that you continually ignore this point?

Alan Burns

« Reply #18093 on: May 22, 2017, 08:45:05 PM »
Of course if it is an illusion which is indistinguishable from the free will that you describe. Where does that leave you?
My freedom to consciously guide my thoughts and actions are so much a part of me.  It is what defines me.  If it is all an illusion, then I myself must be an illusion.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18094 on: May 22, 2017, 08:50:16 PM »
AB,

Why is it so difficult for you to get to grips with the concept that determinism (regardless of the synonyms for “magic” you attach to it) means determinism.

And if something is determined, then it’s not free in the sense you’re attempting.

Inserting a conjecture you call “soul” that is itself subject to this new kind of magic determinism just moves the issue back one step. And if you add another homunculus to control this first one, you’re on the road to an infinite regress.

Is any of this sinking in yet?

Anything?

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18095 on: May 22, 2017, 08:51:15 PM »
AB,

My freedom to consciously guide my thoughts and actions are so much a part of me.  It is what defines me.  If it is all an illusion, then I myself must be an illusion.

Actually the "I" as you perceive it to be probably is, yes.

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18096 on: May 22, 2017, 08:59:14 PM »
in what way can you freely guide your thoughts? Again as has been pointed out many many many many times, Alan, this leads to you guiding the choice to make the choice to make the choice etc etc... As ever until you deal with the pointing out of your logically incoherent positiin , you are just posting meaninglessness.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18097 on: May 22, 2017, 09:01:06 PM »
AB,

Actually the "I" as you perceive it to be probably is, yes.

But then as AB will no doubt point out what is the 'you' in that sentence if it is not also the 'I'?

torridon

« Reply #18098 on: May 22, 2017, 09:05:50 PM »

Yes, that is probably right.  All experience is fabrication of mind, including our sense of self. Here is a blog post by Sam Harris on the illusion of self :

https://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-illusion-of-the-self2

In the West we have been misled by centuries, nay millenia, of JudeoChristian teaching on the soul and we find it hard to shake off.  Buddhism by contrast has been way more insightful in these matters.

Alan Burns

« Reply #18099 on: May 22, 2017, 09:07:22 PM »

And if something is determined, then it’s not free in the sense you’re attempting.

It is your own (and some others') interpretation of "free" which is causing so much confusion.
A physically determined choice is not really a choice but an unavoidable reaction.
A consciously determined choice can only be deemed a real choice if the conscious property is not entirely physical.  If conscious awareness is just a physically determined "emergent property" then there is no choice - just an unavoidable reaction.
So if everything is physically determined, all is just reaction and freedom has no meaning.
So my freedom to make conscious choices must derive from something non physical, otherwise it is just reaction.