Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3729756 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #18175 on: May 24, 2017, 06:41:19 PM »
So, a free will choice is not really free if it is not free from influences is it ? 

Suppose you subtract all relevant influencing factors, so that it is genuinely free from all influence, on what basis then would your soul then make a choice ?
I think literature, cultural references, religious works, non religious works are full of choices and changes, epiphanies, realisations, repentances and goings against.

Your working model of the 'uman, your Homonculus, strikes me as er, reductionist.
One wonders if the New atheists literary experience is in fact but a stack of dog-eared copies of Dennett, Dawkins and others....available at all good bookshops and Waterstones...under the bed.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18176 on: May 24, 2017, 06:48:45 PM »
I think literature, cultural references, religious works, non religious works are full of choices and changes, epiphanies, realisations, repentances and goings against.

Your working model of the 'uman, your Homonculus, strikes me as er, reductionist.
One wonders if the New atheists literary experience is in fact but a stack of dog-eared copies of Dennett, Dawkins and others....available at all good bookshops and Waterstones...under the bed.
Admit it, what's under your bed are the photo shopped pictures of Dawkins in a silky  negligee with the speech bubble 'Reduce me, Vlad boy'

wigginhall

« Reply #18177 on: May 24, 2017, 06:51:59 PM »
Thinking of a number is an interesting example, as it seems to show how unfree we are.   Not many people will pick 12, 431, as they will go for something 'easier', and probably from 1-100.   

This gets caught up in randomness, since it's probably impossible to choose at random,  a vague memory creeping in here about pseudo-randomness, but anyway, 'free' is a misnomer.

Interesting point that pseudo-random number generators are actually deterministic!   Yeah, baby, rock me one more time.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 06:55:54 PM by wigginhall »
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #18178 on: May 24, 2017, 06:56:25 PM »
Admit it, what's under your bed are the photo shopped pictures of Dawkins in a silky  negligee with the speech bubble 'Reduce me, Vlad boy'
Who said anything about them being photoshopped? phwah, phwah, phwah, phwah

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18179 on: May 24, 2017, 06:57:01 PM »
Thinking of a number is an interesting example, as it seems to show how unfree we are.   Not many people will pick 12, 431, as they will go for something 'easier', and probably from 1-100.   

This gets caught up in randomness, since it's probably impossible to choose at random,  a vague memory creeping in here about pseudo-randomness, but anyway, 'free' is a misnomer.
. And of course, don't think of purple elephants. Go on, choose not to think of purple elephants.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18180 on: May 24, 2017, 06:58:00 PM »
Who said anything about them being photoshopped? phwah, phwah, phwah, phwah
Dick, like Marilyn, sleeps only in Chanel No.5

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18181 on: May 24, 2017, 06:58:32 PM »
NS,

Given his sadly unrequited man love, I see it as the other way around. Our nervous but curiously aroused young hero Vlad (for it is he) wearing naught but his duct tape S&M outfit and ball gag looks pleadingly over his shoulder at the looming RD as he snarls, “Let me reduce you Vlad. Let me reduce you like you’ve never been reduced before…”

Ooh the thrill of it!
"Don't make me come down there."

God

wigginhall

« Reply #18182 on: May 24, 2017, 07:02:16 PM »
. And of course, don't think of purple elephants. Go on, choose not to think of purple elephants.

I keep seeing one in a negligee, sorry, I mean négligée.   Pray for me.
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18183 on: May 24, 2017, 07:05:35 PM »
NS,

Given his sadly unrequited man love, I see it as the other way around. Our nervous but curiously aroused young hero Vlad (for it is he) wearing naught but his duct tape S&M outfit and ball gag looks pleadingly over his shoulder at the looming RD as he snarls, “Let me reduce you Vlad. Let me reduce you like you’ve never been reduced before…”

Ooh the thrill of it!

I think Vlad sees himself as a top but following your idea I can now picture the young Vlad, as a fresh faced neophyte, nervously backing away as the great Dick takes off his white coat, and half swallowing, half ejaculating the line 'Are you trying to reduce me, Dr Dawkins?'

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18184 on: May 24, 2017, 07:07:17 PM »
if it were only purple elephants in  négligées I was seeing after this latest set of posts!

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #18185 on: May 24, 2017, 07:08:00 PM »
Dick, like Marilyn, sleeps only in Chanel No.5
Are you suggesting that one could don one's party policemans outfit (The one with the Velcro seams) and arrest him for fragrancy? Phwooooooar.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18186 on: May 24, 2017, 07:08:40 PM »
Wiggs,

Consider it done. Nice use of accents there by the way. Mind you, you'd have to go some on that front to beat "hétérogénéité".

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18187 on: May 24, 2017, 07:11:21 PM »
NS,

I think Vlad sees himself as a top but following your idea I can now picture the young Vlad, as a fresh faced neophyte, nervously backing away as the great Dick takes off his white coat, and half swallowing, half ejaculating the line 'Are you trying to reduce me, Dr Dawkins?'

It's as if you were in the room!

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18188 on: May 24, 2017, 07:13:28 PM »
Are you suggesting that one could don one's party policemans outfit (The one with the Velcro seams) and arrest him for fragrancy? Phwooooooar.
is that a truncheon in your pocket, or ...

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18189 on: May 24, 2017, 07:17:14 PM »
NS,

It's as if you were in the room!
I saw The Vladuate, featuring the story of Vlenjamin Vladdock at an early age.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #18190 on: May 24, 2017, 07:18:44 PM »
Wiggs,

Consider it done. Nice use of accents there by the way.
Is that what they were? I've just wiped my laptop screen trying to get them off.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18191 on: May 24, 2017, 07:23:02 PM »
Is that what they were? I've just wiped my laptop screen trying to get them off.
So you should, probably immigrants causing cancer with their accented bastard letters

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18192 on: May 24, 2017, 07:23:50 PM »
NS,

I saw The Vladuate, featuring the story of Vlenjamin Vladdock at an early age.

I wonder whether Vlad wants RD to do to him what he does to the English language? This week's term for abuse for example is "reductionism", which apparently means "refusing to accept as fact whatever assertions I Vlad happen to make".

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18193 on: May 24, 2017, 07:27:11 PM »
Vlad,

Yes of course Vlad – accents, that's what it was. All that talk of Richard Dawkins and suddenly your screen was covered with "accents".

Natch. 

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18194 on: May 24, 2017, 07:31:38 PM »
Vlad,

Yes of course Vlad – accents, that's what it was. All that talk of Richard Dawkins and suddenly your screen was covered with "accents".

Natch.
I believe some people have described Dawkins as having a drippingly white accent.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18195 on: May 24, 2017, 08:33:45 PM »
NS,

I believe some people have described Dawkins as having a drippingly white accent.

Strictly Come Dawkins?

Just think, our Vlad would practically turn himself inside out at the priapic prospect of it.

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18196 on: May 24, 2017, 08:44:50 PM »
NS,

Strictly Come Dawkins?

Just think, our Vlad would practically turn himself inside out at the priapic prospect of it.
i was more thinking There's Something About Dicky. 

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #18197 on: May 24, 2017, 11:05:22 PM »
I think you have all just generated substantial evidence for the existence of human free will. :)
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #18198 on: May 24, 2017, 11:07:16 PM »
Why can you not just simply answer the question?

Your avoidance speaks volumes.
I answered it several thousand posts back on this thread.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18199 on: May 25, 2017, 12:50:27 AM »
I answered it several thousand posts back on this thread.
err no,  you didn't. Why are you posting what looks like a blatant untruth?