Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3733071 times)

Gordon

• Administrator
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #18625 on: June 06, 2017, 01:55:34 PM »
They do boil down to differences of opinion.  You need to put forward alternative logical arguments and not just claim "fallacy" as the trump card.

You've been told this before: opinion is irrelevant when fallacies have been used, and when fallacies are used there is no need to provide 'alternative logical arguments' since all that is needed is to cite the fallacy.

SusanDoris

« Reply #18626 on: June 06, 2017, 01:58:56 PM »
I can't answer this without being judgemental.  God is the final judge.
That is one of your most cringe-making, smug, Uriah Heep-ish posts.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #18627 on: June 06, 2017, 02:01:17 PM »
You've been told this before: opinion is irrelevant when fallacies have been used, and when fallacies are used there is no need to provide 'alternative logical arguments' since all that is needed is to cite the fallacy.
In my post I have shown why they should not be labelled as fallacies
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Alan Burns

« Reply #18628 on: June 06, 2017, 02:04:42 PM »
Your reasons like your arguments are themselves wrong. For one example out of many, you keep robotically repeating that the soundness of an argument is merely a matter of opinion, when this is no more the case than 2 + 2 = 5 being wrong is merely opinion.I haven't ignored them - they have been refuted. Very different.
in your opinion
Since you're in relativist mode, do you consider the following statement:

to be 'an assertion'?
My post made clear that none of my arguments are analogous to "2+2=5"  This was just one of BH's assertions.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 02:07:55 PM by Alan Burns »
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

BeRational

« Reply #18629 on: June 06, 2017, 02:07:37 PM »
My post made clear that none of my arguments are analogous to "2+2=5"  This was just one of BH's assertions.

Every time you use a fallacy it IS equivalent to saying 2+2=5.

Why are you finding this hard to grasp?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 02:36:36 PM by BeRational »
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Alan Burns

« Reply #18630 on: June 06, 2017, 02:08:28 PM »
Every time you use a fallacy it IS equivalent to saying 2+2=5.

Why are you finding this hard to rasp?
I do not use fallacies

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18631 on: June 06, 2017, 02:09:12 PM »
AB,

It depends upon whether you can show that the uncontrolled deterministic nature of particle physics is capable of generating and controlling human thoughts.  Bearing in mind that correlation does not prove causation.

No it doesn’t, and you’ve missed the point entirely. Whether that can be shown or not, the argument you attempt for it is false. The argumentum ad consequentiam entails back-fitting the outcome of the argument to its logical soundness. Whether you find the outcome of an argument to be desirable, likely or anything else tells you nothing whatever though about the validity of the structure of the argument.

This is not a matter of opinion or difference of interpretation. It’s just about the logic of the reasoning that leads to the conclusion, which in this case is wrong.

The question here is whether the blind evolutionary process alone is capable of creating the spiritual awareness evident in the history of the human race (and not evident in any other species).

No it isn’t and again you’ve missed the point entirely. The “question here” has nothing whatever to do with that. Rather the actual question is whether lots of people believing something (or “yearning” for it) tells you anything about the validity of the argument that leads to that conclusion.

It doesn’t. Either the force of the reasoning stands on its merit or it doesn’t. Truth isn’t a popularity contest, however much you may wish it otherwise.   

This is not a matter of opinion or difference of interpretation. It’s just about the logic of the reasoning that leads to the conclusion, which in this case is wrong.

If there is no natural explanation, the conjecture that it could be supernatural is not exactly a 2+2=5  analogy.  And we have the difference of opinion as to whether an emergent property based on material reactions can generate a single entity of conscious awareness which perceives the state of many brain cells.

No we don’t, and you’ve missed the point entirely. Again. Having “no natural explanation” tells you only one thing: that you have no natural explanation. It tells you nothing about whether a natural explanation could be found tomorrow. It tells you nothing about whether there is a natural explanation but we’ll never have the means to identify it. It tells you nothing about whether there is a supernatural, what that term would actually mean, nor how we’d ever identify it even if it did exist.

As shown above, these arguments cannot simply be labelled as wrong.  They do boil down to differences of opinion.  You need to put forward alternative logical arguments and not just claim "fallacy" as the trump card.

You’ve shown no such thing above. All you have shown is that, despite assuring us that you knew what the term “logical fallacy” means, you actually have no idea whatever.

Logical fallacies are not concerned with the content of an argument – you can plug any data into them you like, and produce any outcome as the result. What they are concerned with though is the structure and force of the argument itself regardless of the data with which it’s populated. Thus your efforts above are all irrelevant because they’re just about the data. If you want to grasp your problem, you'll finally need to engage with the logicnot with the data.

And that’s why you’re so catastrophically wrong. We can discuss topics like emergence and evolution as much as you like, but they are irrelevant to your basic problem of false argument. When you structure an argument that precisely correlates to one of these codified fallacies, then it’s a wrong argument – not a matter of opinion, not a difference of interpretation – just a wrong argument.

Is any of this sinking in yet?

Anything at all?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 02:17:31 PM by bluehillside »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Shaker

« Reply #18632 on: June 06, 2017, 02:10:14 PM »
I do not use fallacies
That stupid, or that dishonest - anyone?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Shaker

« Reply #18633 on: June 06, 2017, 02:11:15 PM »
In your opinion, one assumes?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18634 on: June 06, 2017, 02:11:29 PM »
AB,

In my post I have shown why they should not be labelled as fallacies

No you haven't. In your post, you just missed the point entirely.

I do not use fallacies

Yes you do. So far at least, fallacious reasoning is all you have.

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18635 on: June 06, 2017, 02:14:24 PM »
AB,

And my reply explained why your use of fallacies is equivalent to "2+2=5", while my use of argument and examples was pretty much the opposite of assertions.

Your "God", "soul", "spirit" etc on the other hand...

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #18636 on: June 06, 2017, 02:15:48 PM »
AB,

No you haven't. In your post, you just missed the point entirely.

Yes you do. So far at least, fallacious reasoning is all you have.
You seem unable to see the logic behind my reasoning.  It is not fallacious.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18637 on: June 06, 2017, 02:19:08 PM »
AB,

It's all fallacious, for the reasons I just set out at length. Why not try to engage with that rather than just ignore your problem?

God

floo

« Reply #18638 on: June 06, 2017, 02:19:19 PM »

What logic?

Shaker

« Reply #18639 on: June 06, 2017, 02:19:52 PM »
You seem unable to see the logic behind my reasoning.

No, it's not that it's there but nobody else can see it; it's that you have neither logic nor reasoning.

Alan Burns

« Reply #18640 on: June 06, 2017, 02:25:59 PM »
AB,

It's all fallacious, for the reasons I just set out at length. Why not try to engage with that rather than just ignore your problem?
In your post #18633 you answered none of the points I made to defend the original arguments you quoted. 

BeRational

« Reply #18641 on: June 06, 2017, 02:37:58 PM »
I do not use fallacies

That is a LIE.

You do use, them and they are clearly pointed out to you.

Make your argument, then when a fallacy has been pointed out. Lets look at that fallacy and see if you can change your argument to remove the fallacy.

Have a go, let's see if you can do it.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18642 on: June 06, 2017, 02:41:26 PM »
AB,

In your post #18633 you answered none of the points I made to defend the original arguments you quoted.

In my Post 18633 I explained perfectly clearly why all your points were entirely irrelevant to the subject under discussion.

Try this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

It’s the article from Wiki that lists logical fallacies. What do you notice about them?

That’s right, none of them are concerned with the content of any particular argument. Rather they are concerned only with the structure of the arguments themselves. When your arguments correlate to those structures (as they always do) then they are necessarily wrong arguments. How you populate those arguments is utterly irrelevant for this purpose – evolution, emergence, unicorns, which raindrop will reach the bottom of the windowpane first, none of these or any other objects of the argument matter a snippet of a jot of an iota of a smidgin.

All that does matter is that its the structure of the argument itself nullifies it a priori. Logical fallacies are self-negating.

Surely something of this must be sinking in by now mustn’t it?

Mustn’t it?       
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 02:45:24 PM by bluehillside »

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18643 on: June 06, 2017, 02:56:32 PM »
Oh yes he did.

Shaker

« Reply #18644 on: June 06, 2017, 02:57:56 PM »
That is a LIE.
I don't know if it's a lie in the sense of its being a deliberate falsehood intended to deceive and mislead; but it's most certainly untrue.

You do use, them and they are clearly pointed out to you.

Make your argument, then when a fallacy has been pointed out. Lets look at that fallacy and see if you can change your argument to remove the fallacy.

Have a go, let's see if you can do it.
Not a hope in hell.

Alan Burns

« Reply #18645 on: June 06, 2017, 03:01:11 PM »
AB,

In my Post 18633 I explained perfectly clearly why all your points were entirely irrelevant to the subject under discussion.

Try this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

It’s the article from Wiki that lists logical fallacies. What do you notice about them?

That’s right, none of them are concerned with the content of any particular argument. Rather they are concerned only with the structure of the arguments themselves. When your arguments correlate to those structures (as they always do) then they are necessarily wrong arguments. How you populate those arguments is utterly irrelevant for this purpose – evolution, emergence, unicorns, which raindrop will reach the bottom of the windowpane first, none of these or any other objects of the argument matter a snippet of a jot of an iota of a smidgin.

All that does matter is that its the structure of the argument itself nullifies it a priori. Logical fallacies are self-negating.

Surely something of this must be sinking in by now mustn’t it?

Mustn’t it?     
It would appear that your label of fallacy is preventing you from seeing the explanations I gave to support the arguments I was making.  In your eagerness to support your allegation of fallacy, you are ignoring the content of my arguments.  It was you who brought up the points in a way which made them look fallacious, so I elaborated to explain the reasoning which makes them non fallacious.  Can you not see that the allegations of fallacy are side tracking the content of the arguments being made?  Would it not be far more productive to stick to dealing with content (as Torri does) rather than keep claiming "fallacy"?

Shaker

« Reply #18646 on: June 06, 2017, 03:05:49 PM »
Can you not see that the allegations of fallacy are side tracking the content of the arguments being made?  Would it not be far more productive to stick to dealing with content (as Torri does) rather than keep claiming "fallacy"?
No and no.

Make a fallacious argument - which you do, over and over and over - and those who recognise them (i.e. almost everyone who isn't you, basically) will call you out on it. That's the way it works.

If side-tracking bothers you so much, look to your own actions in trying to maintain, apparently in all seriousness as far as anyone can tell, that you don't deploy fallacies. That's side-tracking on a Cecil B. DeMille scale.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 03:08:01 PM by Shaker »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18647 on: June 06, 2017, 03:20:18 PM »
AB,

It would appear that your label of fallacy…

It’s not “my” label – it’s just the standard definition of the term, ie an argument whose structure is self-negating regardless of its content. The Wiki link I gave you makes that pellucidly clear.

… is preventing you from seeing the explanations I gave to support the arguments I was making.

No. The meaning of the term “logical fallacy” renders your “explanations” entirely irrelevant.

In your eagerness to support your allegation of fallacy, you are ignoring the content of my arguments.

I’m not “ignoring” them at all. Rather what I did was to dismiss them because, as I explained to you, they were irrelevant.

It was you who brought up the points in a way which made them look fallacious, so I elaborated to explain the reasoning which makes them non fallacious.

No, what I did was to explain that the arguments you attempt correlate precisely to the structures of arguments defined as false. Your “reasoning” didn’t make them non-fallacious at all because that reasoning had nothing to say to the fact that it’s the structure of your arguments that nullifies them, not their content.

Can you not see that the allegations of fallacy are side tracking the content of the arguments being made?

Oh stop it now. Can you not see that your insistence on discussing the content of the argument is “sidetracking” from the real problem of their structural failure a priori

Would it not be far more productive to stick to dealing with content (as Torri does) rather than keep claiming "fallacy"?

Of course not, for the reasons I have set out. You can feed whatever premises you like into a bad argument – it won’t somehow become a good argument when you do though.

A false argument is a false argument is a false argument – whether its about evolution, “God” or the man in the moon are all downstream of that. What you’re asking me to do here is akin to focusing on how fond you are of the number five, while ignoring the problem that you got to it by asserting “2+2=5”.

Doesn’t wash does it.

Oh, and don’t try to use torri for support – he’s as alert to your reliance on logical fallacies as the rest of us are.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 03:30:46 PM by bluehillside »

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #18648 on: June 06, 2017, 03:31:41 PM »
AB,

It’s not “my” label – it’s just the standard definition of the term, ie an argument whose structure is self-negating regardless of its content. The Wiki link I gave you makes that pellucidly clear.

No. The meaning of the term “logical fallacy” renders your “explanations” entirely irrelevant.

I’m not “ignoring” them at all. Rather what I did was to dismiss them because, as I explained to you, they were irrelevant.

No, what I did was to explain that the arguments you attempt correlate precisely to the structures of arguments defined as false. Your “reasoning” didn’t make them non-fallacious at all because that reasoning had nothing to say to the fact that it’s the structure of your arguments that nullifies them, not their content.

Oh stop it now. Can you not see that your insistence on discussing of the content of the argument are “sidetracking” from the real problem of their structural failure a priori

Of course not, for the reasons I have set out. You can feed whatever premises you like into a bad argument – it won’t somehow become a good argument when you do though.

A false argument is a false argument is a false argument – whether its about evolution, “God” or the man in the moon are all downstream of that. What you’re asking me to do here is akin to focusing on how fond you are of the number five, while ignoring the problem that you got to it by asserting “2+2=5”.

But I have explained quite clearly why my arguments are not the equivalent of "2+2=5"

Shaker

« Reply #18649 on: June 06, 2017, 03:33:27 PM »
But I have explained quite clearly why my arguments are not the equivalent of "2+2=5"
In your opinion. And you haven't explained at all, merely asserted.