Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3733727 times)

torridon

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #18700 on: June 07, 2017, 02:55:14 PM »
Human science can't yet define how the soul interacts with our physical brain, but that does not mean that the interaction is not there.

No, there is no evidence for (immaterial) souls and there is no evidence for souls interacting with brains, just asserting it will not pouf it into existence.

The concept of the soul is incoherent because of the word immaterial, whether explicit or implied. An immaterial soul is one that cannot interact with matter which interacts with matter.

Incoherent.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #18701 on: June 07, 2017, 02:57:52 PM »
You are making stuff up.

Whatever you make up, can be replaced by some other made up stuff.

Jesus, God, Leprechaun, Pixie. All the same.
You have said that no person has died for sin. evidence that thank you.
You have said I have made God up. Evidence that.

,,,,,,this should be good......

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #18702 on: June 07, 2017, 02:59:59 PM »
No, there is no evidence for (immaterial) souls and there is no evidence for souls interacting with brains, just asserting it will not pouf it into existence.

The concept of the soul is incoherent because of the word immaterial, whether explicit or implied. An immaterial soul is one that cannot interact with matter which interacts with matter.

Incoherent.
By evidence you are talking about material evidence aren't you? Can you not see your circular argument here?

torridon

« Reply #18703 on: June 07, 2017, 03:00:26 PM »
I do not presume to make judgements about Heaven until I get there!

Maybe you have changed your mind then; previously you were asserting that Earthly suffering served a purpose - so that we would know the difference when we get to heaven, and appreciate its lovely heavenliness.  But of course that implies memories, bad memories in particular, which would ruin all that nice noodly heavenliness.

Incoherent.

BeRational

« Reply #18704 on: June 07, 2017, 03:01:38 PM »
You have said that no person has died for sin. evidence that thank you.
You have said I have made God up. Evidence that.

,,,,,,this should be good......

You cannot die for someone sin, because sin does not exist.

You have bought into the idea of a made up god.

I thought you were leaving?
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18705 on: June 07, 2017, 03:03:57 PM »
By evidence you are talking about material evidence aren't you? Can you not see your circular argument here?
And non material evidence is what? note it may exist but you have to provide a definition and a methodology for such a thing for discussion first. Something you consistently haven't done despite being asked many hundreds of times.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #18706 on: June 07, 2017, 03:06:23 PM »
Ah, you fail to evidence two positive assertions and introduce a third.....well done............. now evidence all three.

Not while you are still on the hook.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #18707 on: June 07, 2017, 03:07:44 PM »
And non material evidence is what? note it may exist but you have to provide a definition and a methodology for such a thing for discussion first. Something you consistently haven't done despite being asked many hundreds of times.
methodology is not ontology.

BeRational

« Reply #18708 on: June 07, 2017, 03:09:47 PM »

Not while you are still on the hook.

What hook.

You believe stuff that has no credible evidence, and you think that a good thing?

I see you lied about leaving then?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18709 on: June 07, 2017, 03:11:28 PM »
Never said it was. No methodology for evidence means any of your claims are meaningless currently though, and I note that again rather tgan deal with tge question you came up with a non sequitur.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #18710 on: June 07, 2017, 03:11:54 PM »
Non sequitur. Saying evidence is material and therefore the immaterial cannot exist is a circular argument.
Stop Handwaving.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #18711 on: June 07, 2017, 03:14:03 PM »
What hook.

You believe stuff that has no credible evidence, and you think that a good thing?

I see you lied about leaving then?
Argument from incredulity and invincible ignorance.

Lying ? Did I set a time?

torridon

« Reply #18712 on: June 07, 2017, 03:14:55 PM »

No more circular than not believing in leprechauns because of the lack of evidence.  Engage brain before opening mouth

Shaker

« Reply #18713 on: June 07, 2017, 03:18:29 PM »
Vlad catchphrases and buzzwords are catchphrases and buzzwords, though.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18714 on: June 07, 2017, 03:26:16 PM »
Non sequitur. Saying evidence is material and therefore the immaterial cannot exist is a circular argument.
Stop Handwaving.
I didn't say it cannot exist. i asked for a methodology and a definition. Stop lying.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18715 on: June 07, 2017, 03:33:47 PM »
Fallacy Boy,

As far as I know no Leprechaun has died for anyone's sins. There is I think you'll find that if you kept going your logic would have Leprechauns and God the same thing and your appeal inevitably would and is just to ridicule.

Fallacy number eeeeeiiiiggghhhttttt…. The argumentum ad consequentiam.

Now all you have to do is to find some logic that takes you from someone saying, “I will die for your sins” and that person being divine.

What happened to the retirement by the way? Or was it perhaps just a brief sabbatical to give you the chance to put together a few more fallacies for future use?

Fallacy 1: The straw man

Fallacy 2: The ad hominem/abusive terms fallacy

Fallacy 3: Judgmental language

Fallacy 4: Circular reasoning

Fallacy 5: The moralistic fallacy (“ought from an is”)

Fallacy 6: Negative proof fallacy

Fallacy 7: The tu quoque

Fallacy 8: Argumentum ad consequentiam

Fallacy 9: Argumentum ad populum

Fallacy 10: Argumentum ad ignorantiam

Fallacy 11: Argumentum from incredulity

Fallacy 12: Vacuous truth fallacy (argument from irrelevance)

Fallacy 13: The appeal to self-evident truth (that turns out to be no such thing)
"Don't make me come down there."

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18716 on: June 07, 2017, 03:37:42 PM »
Fallacy Boy,

Fallacy number ooooonnnnneeeeee.... The straw man.

Fallacy number tweeeelllllvvvveeee.... Vacuous truth fallacy (argument from irrelevance).

No-one says otherwise. You still though need a method to distinguish your "ontology" from utter rowlocks.

Fallacy 1: The straw man

Fallacy 2: The ad hominem/abusive terms fallacy

Fallacy 3: Judgmental language

Fallacy 4: Circular reasoning

Fallacy 5: The moralistic fallacy (“ought from an is”)

Fallacy 6: Negative proof fallacy

Fallacy 7: The tu quoque

Fallacy 8: Argumentum ad consequentiam

Fallacy 9: Argumentum ad populum

Fallacy 10: Argumentum ad ignorantiam

Fallacy 11: Argumentum from incredulity

Fallacy 12: Vacuous truth fallacy (argument from irrelevance)

Fallacy 13: The appeal to self-evident truth (that turns out to be no such thing)

God

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #18717 on: June 07, 2017, 04:10:54 PM »
"Sin does not exist"

This is the terrifying logic which materialist thinking leads to.  If we pretend that we have no free will, it gives evil doers a licence to do whatever they want, because whatever they do will be seen as an inevitable consequence of the material reactions in their brain.

The reality is that God has given us the knowledge of good and evil, and with it has given us the power to choose by conscious interaction, not just inevitable reaction.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18718 on: June 07, 2017, 04:16:50 PM »
"Sin does not exist"

This is the terrifying logic which materialist thinking leads to.  If we pretend that we have no free will, it gives evil doers a licence to do whatever they want, because whatever they do will be seen as an inevitable consequence of the material reactions in their brain.

The reality is that God has given us the knowledge of good and evil, and with it has given us the power to choose by conscious interaction, not just inevitable reaction.

I note you accuse people of lying by 'pretending' here, Alan. Are you saying torridon is lying? If not then you need to rephrase the above post.

BeRational

« Reply #18719 on: June 07, 2017, 04:17:36 PM »
"Sin does not exist"

That is not a reality, just your belief. I completely disagree.

Sin and evil do not exist.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18720 on: June 07, 2017, 04:17:50 PM »
AB,

No it isn't. Moral philosophy is a substantial body of thinking, research, discussion and debate. "Sin" on the other hand is a word religious people use to describe rules written in books they think to be "holy" (and therefore inerrant) with no cogent logic to support the claim.

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18721 on: June 07, 2017, 04:24:21 PM »
Incidentally Alan, as you haven't replied are we now agreed that logical fallacies are a function of the structure of the argument and not of their content? You referenced the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy a while back for example - do you now agree that it's a bad argument regardless of whether you happen to populate it with gods, leprechauns or anything else?

And if you do agree, can you now see why your post about evolution, emergence etc was irrelevant?

And if you do see that, can you also see why any argument you make whose structure correlates to that of a fallacy is necessarily a wrong argument, regardless of what it happens to be about?   

And if you do see that, can you now see why identifying the fallacies on which you depend isn't a matter of difference of opinion or of interpretation at all?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 04:27:11 PM by bluehillside »

God

floo

« Reply #18722 on: June 07, 2017, 04:25:18 PM »
Of course wrongdoing exists, but the word 'sin' often covers things no reasonable person would consider bad. 

Shaker

« Reply #18723 on: June 07, 2017, 04:49:00 PM »
"Sin does not exist"

Argumentum ad consequentiam. What's that you were saying about not using fallacies?

That's not reality: it's a statement of belief.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #18724 on: June 07, 2017, 05:03:08 PM »
AB,

No it isn't. Moral philosophy is a substantial body of thinking, research, discussion and debate. "Sin" on the other hand is a word religious people use to describe rules written in books they think to be "holy" (and therefore inerrant) with no cogent logic to support the claim.
I think you'll find sin is a part of moral philosophy. Moral irrealism actually has nothing to offer the debate ultimately because morality needs arbitration and there is no actual arbitration in moral irrealism. In other words, what moral irrealists perform is a kind of intellectual pretence. Unlike you I would not seek to exclude moral irrealism no matter how cranky it's proponents are.

In other words you are wrong to exclude sin from moral philosophy....but hey....if intellectual totalitarianism isn't about saying ''moral philosophy is whatever I say it is''....what is it for?