Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3739757 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #25625 on: January 07, 2018, 10:32:41 AM »
Perhaps that's his way of 'fending off' or coping with a dozen or so posters often with lengthy diatribes.  He possibly doesn't have the time to read and digest every post.  At least he doesn't resort to 'offending'.

Not reading the points made is discourteous in the extreme. Let's remember that he has stated that he understands all posts completely. You seem to think he was lying.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:44:54 AM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #25626 on: January 07, 2018, 10:50:13 AM »
.. then give it a rest for a while.  Try a little muthos instead of logos.  It might sooth your pain.
Ha! People not posting pabulum pieces of fallacies might help.

ekim

« Reply #25627 on: January 07, 2018, 10:58:11 AM »
Not reading the points made is discourteous in the extreme.
Not necessarily, he may be using logic in assessing priorities and frames any replies courteously.
Let's remember that he has stated that he understands all posts completely. You seem to think he was lying.
I don't remember that so I am not in a position  to  think he was lying.  Understanding all posts is not the same as reading all posts, it might be that he claims to understand all posts that he reads but doesn't read all posts.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #25628 on: January 07, 2018, 11:01:26 AM »
Not necessarily, he may be using logic in assessing priorities and frames any replies courteously.I don't remember that so I am not in a position  to  think he was lying.  Understanding all posts is not the same as reading all posts, it might be that he claims to understand all posts that he reads but doesn't read all posts.
No, understanding all posts necessitates reading them.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #25629 on: January 07, 2018, 11:14:54 AM »
Thanks Sweetpea.  I think this thread is beyond balance.
You seem to think balance in itself is worthwhile. This seems nonsense to me. If Alan posts illogical nonsense then the imbalance is caused by that.

SusanDoris

« Reply #25630 on: January 07, 2018, 11:30:49 AM »
Perhaps that's his way of 'fending off' or coping with a dozen or so posters often with lengthy diatribes.  He possibly doesn't have the time to read and digest every post.  At least he doesn't resort to 'offending'.
I think perhaps one could consider his refusal to offer any alternatives - any except the same one all the time - as being somewhat offensive. However, as ever, offense is in the eye of the one who feels it.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #25631 on: January 07, 2018, 12:04:36 PM »
Covered this only a week ago I seem to recall.  If a closed system is subject to outside influences, then it is not a closed system at all.

Eh?!!

Enki

« Reply #25632 on: January 07, 2018, 12:27:23 PM »
Ekim, I looked back and didn't find your comment patronising towards Alan, at all. Your contributions and Sriram's have given balance to this thread and I've found your efforts in trying to explain what you think Alan is saying very useful.

The materialists here, not able to take on the spiritual, cannot get off the starting blocks with what Alan is trying to say.

I count myself as a very spiritual person, so I find your comment in your last sentence to be both patronising and ignorant. Furthermore I understand what Alan is trying to say, it's just that I disagree with him. I would suggest he is saying it rather badly, and without any evidence whatever which, of course, if one counts spiritual evidence, would necessarily for me, include that as well. :)
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #25633 on: January 07, 2018, 12:45:56 PM »
Do have a look at Professor Jim Alkali's talk about the way the European Robin navigates it's migration, (the U K Robin doesn't migrate).

It's very interesting and a mind bender, I'm sure you'll find it on YouTube.

The Robin's about one of the most loved of our English native birds it'll sit on the hand of your gardening fork inches away from you when they get to know you, I've two in my garden the both look at me and think this silly old sod's harmless and grub about when I'm digging looking to see if I've dug up any fresh looking worms for them to eat and they do this at arms length sometimes jumpingf on to the bit of ground inches in front of me right before my face, they're such cheeky little devils, call one up on google, they're a very small bird. 

Like you say things get curiouser and curiouser the more you look into them.

Regards ippy

Yes...birds are smart and have been known to do amazing things.

Looking out of my balcony there are plenty of trees and about 10-12 species of birds.  It is bright sunny with clear blue sky nearly 9 months in the year. So, dozens of kites circling high up in the blue sky. Plenty of parrots. Koyal (cuckoo), barbets, bulbul (nightingale), owls , hawks, partridges...and the usual crows and pigeons. Lots of squirrels and sometimes even monkeys. A tribe lives in a nearby wooded area and they visit now and then.

There were plenty of sparrows at one time but they seem to have disappeared now. I saw sparrows only in Paris last year.

Cheers ippy.

Sriram   

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #25634 on: January 07, 2018, 12:50:24 PM »
Just heard this in church on this feast of the epiphany.   I felt it was appropriate for this thread -

You are my special patrons and the patrons of all latecomers, of all who have a tedious journey to make to the truth, of all who are confused with knowledge and speculation, of all who through their politeness make themselves partners in guilt, of all who stand in danger by reason of their talents.

For His sake, who did not reject your curious gifts, pray always for all the learned, the oblique, the delicate. Let them not quite be forgotten at the throne of God when the simple come into their kingdom.

from: A Prayer to the Magi by St. Helena (from Evelyn Waugh's novel Helena)
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

ippy

« Reply #25635 on: January 07, 2018, 01:43:38 PM »
Just heard this in church on this feast of the epiphany.   I felt it was appropriate for this thread -

You are my special patrons and the patrons of all latecomers, of all who have a tedious journey to make to the truth, of all who are confused with knowledge and speculation, of all who through their politeness make themselves partners in guilt, of all who stand in danger by reason of their talents.

For His sake, who did not reject your curious gifts, pray always for all the learned, the oblique, the delicate. Let them not quite be forgotten at the throne of God when the simple come into their kingdom.

Are we supposed to be impressed in some way by that load of mindless drivel? I would think it's more suited to the poor indoctrinated minds like yours  Alan?

Necessarily the very kindest of regards to you Alan, ippy

floo

« Reply #25636 on: January 07, 2018, 01:45:57 PM »

That appears to mean it is the less intelligent who are gullible enough to believe in god and an afterlife.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #25637 on: January 07, 2018, 01:47:51 PM »

What do you think Waugh's point is here?

Enki

« Reply #25638 on: January 07, 2018, 01:52:03 PM »

Yes...birds are smart and have been known to do amazing things.

Looking out of my balcony there are plenty of trees and about 10-12 species of birds.  It is bright sunny with clear blue sky nearly 9 months in the year. So, dozens of kites circling high up in the blue sky. Plenty of parrots. Koyal (cuckoo), barbets, bulbul (nightingale), owls , hawks, partridges...and the usual crows and pigeons. Lots of squirrels and sometimes even monkeys. A tribe lives in a nearby wooded area and they visit now and then.

There were plenty of sparrows at one time but they seem to have disappeared now. I saw sparrows only in Paris last year.

Cheers ippy.

Sriram

This took me back to my visits to India and Sri Lanka. I remember vividly how flocks of rose ringed parakeets(with a few larger alexandrines) would wheel and swoop around some of the places we visited, and the sky was always full of black kites, Indian crows and the ubiquitous feral pigeons. Also I remember seeing a range of barbets, hearing and seeing the red vented and red whiskered bulbuls and the odd Asian koel. Especially common and vocal were the common mynas which seemed to fulfill the niche of our common starlings in the UK. Great memories. :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 01:56:36 PM by enki »
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Alan Burns

« Reply #25639 on: January 07, 2018, 02:02:55 PM »
What do you think Waugh's point is here?
That human intellect can sometimes hinder, rather than help, in our search for truth.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Alan Burns

« Reply #25640 on: January 07, 2018, 02:11:52 PM »
Are we supposed to be impressed in some way by that load of mindless drivel? I would think it's more suited to the poor indoctrinated minds like yours  Alan?

And Evelyn Waugh, the author of what you deem to be a load of mindless drivel is recognised as one of the great prose stylists of the English language in the 20th century. (as quoted in Wiki)

floo

« Reply #25641 on: January 07, 2018, 02:25:31 PM »
That human intellect can sometimes hinder, rather than help, in our search for truth.

Hmmmmm, that sounds like an excuse to me.

wigginhall

« Reply #25642 on: January 07, 2018, 02:36:05 PM »
Such an odd comment - 'all who stand in danger by reason of their talents'.    What is the danger?   
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

floo

« Reply #25643 on: January 07, 2018, 02:50:16 PM »
Such an odd comment - 'all who stand in danger by reason of their talents'.    What is the danger?

They grasp how little evidence there is to support belief in god.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #25644 on: January 07, 2018, 02:55:06 PM »

Then it sounds like an appeal to simplicity, lest knowledge get in the way of this 'truth'.

ekim

« Reply #25645 on: January 07, 2018, 03:01:32 PM »
No, understanding all posts necessitates reading them.
Yes, I agree but I am questioning the extent of 'all'.  Does that mean all posts since the beginning of this topic, all posts on every topic, all posts addressed to him, all posts written by you.  You said  'he has stated that he understands all posts completely' so if you could direct me to this statement I can see for myself and that it's not you exaggerating for effect.

ekim

« Reply #25646 on: January 07, 2018, 03:03:55 PM »
You seem to think balance in itself is worthwhile. This seems nonsense to me. If Alan posts illogical nonsense then the imbalance is caused by that.
Yes I do think balancing is worthwhile.  From your comment do I take it that you think imbalance is worthwhile?

Enki

« Reply #25647 on: January 07, 2018, 03:06:02 PM »

On the basis of not using my intellect, I readily came to the conclusion that if your God represents some sort of truth, no such God exists. Then I decided to use my intellect, and came to the much sounder conclusion that I would be foolish to dismiss any god at all. A far more sensible position would be not to have an actual belief in any god until evidence accrued which would make my unbelief unsustainable. Until then, I could simply disregard any thought of his existence. Are you suggesting that I should simply revert back to my intuitions and innermost feelings in some sort of a search for truth?
Steven Wright

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #25648 on: January 07, 2018, 03:35:34 PM »
Yes I do think balancing is worthwhile.  From your comment do I take it that you think imbalance is worthwhile?
Not in itself, but in certain circumstances. If someone says 2+2 =5, then if they are criticised by many people, wanting balance simply for the same of it is nonsense.

Alan Burns

« Reply #25649 on: January 07, 2018, 03:40:21 PM »
Not in itself, but in certain circumstances. If someone says 2+2 =5, then if they are criticised by many people, wanting balance simply for the same of it is nonsense.
But nothing I have posted could be dismissed as being equivalent to 2+2=5.