Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3737511 times)

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #25750 on: January 10, 2018, 03:37:58 PM »
Another post where you show your lack of understanding! How is will not thought? To have an intention is thought. You have just repeated your infinite regress position with different words.
If thoughts are just deterministic patterns of electrons buzzing around my brain, then I have no control.  But there is more to it than that, because I can direct my thoughts by my conscious willpower.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Alan Burns

« Reply #25751 on: January 10, 2018, 03:40:53 PM »
Dreams are a form of thought.

Can you control your dreams too ?
Dreams occur when I am not fully conscious - I can perceive them, but I do not control them.  This highlights the difference between controlled thoughts and uncontrolled thoughts. 
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #25752 on: January 10, 2018, 03:41:32 PM »
If thoughts are just deterministic patterns of electrons buzzing around my brain, then I have no control.  But there is more to it than that, because I can direct my thoughts by my conscious willpower.
And as direction/driving/willpower are all thoughts your infinite regress continues.

Maeght

« Reply #25753 on: January 10, 2018, 04:05:00 PM »
Our abilities to make assertions (whether they are deemed to be right or wrong) are clear evidence that we are in control of what we say or post.

No it isn't. I think this sort of comment just reflects your simplistic view of what people mean when they say our apparent choices are not free but are predetermined by previous events.

ippy

« Reply #25754 on: January 10, 2018, 04:58:52 PM »
I think for myself, Ippy, using the gift of free will which God has given me.  I back up my so called assertions with the fact that there is no possible material explanation for our conscious awareness and conscious interaction, so I look to God's revelations to seek the truth.

So you think Alan.

Without any sensible use of logic or reason you're just hanging on to a blind use of the rapidly overall diminishing remains of primitive man's bygone belief world.

I really do feel sad for you and the others that find it so hard to come to grips with the realities of this world and would rather than face reality, instead prefer to submerge themselves/yourself into these largely discredited mystic, magical and superstition based beliefs.

Incidentally, I note Alan you seem to be totally oblivious to the amount of completely unsupported assertions you keep making and totally unable to prevent yourself from making them, even when you must be aware they are so completely unsupported.

Surly Alan, you must be aware of how ridiculous these continuing unsupported assertions make you look, it's not as though overall you're not a reasonably intelligent bloke, these unfounded assertions of yours lead me to think that you must have been very heavily indoctrinated with this stuff when you were very young, if it were otherwise I don't think you'd be making so many of them. 

Wishing you all of the best and kindest of regards Alan, ippy.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:36:10 PM by ippy »

torridon

« Reply #25755 on: January 10, 2018, 05:33:38 PM »
Dreams occur when I am not fully conscious - I can perceive them, but I do not control them.  This highlights the difference between controlled thoughts and uncontrolled thoughts.

So you accept that some thoughts are not controllable.

Think of a number at random between 1 and 100.  What was the first number that came into your head ?  Did you 'control' which number was the first one to pop into mind ?

Alan Burns

« Reply #25756 on: January 10, 2018, 07:40:01 PM »
No it isn't. I think this sort of comment just reflects your simplistic view of what people mean when they say our apparent choices are not free but are predetermined by previous events.
Do you honestly believe that every choice you make is entirely predetermined by previous events, or are you just trying to comply with human scientific theory?

Alan Burns

« Reply #25757 on: January 10, 2018, 07:43:52 PM »
So you accept that some thoughts are not controllable.
Yes, but some are most definitely controlled.
Think of a number at random between 1 and 100.  What was the first number that came into your head ?  Did you 'control' which number was the first one to pop into mind ?
I control the act of deciding whether or not to bother to choosing a number
I chose not to bother.

Maeght

« Reply #25758 on: January 10, 2018, 08:08:33 PM »
Do you honestly believe that every choice you make is entirely predetermined by previous events, or are you just trying to comply with human scientific theory?

I think our brains are programmed by previous experiences to respond to situations in a certain way. With each experience the programming can be altered so beliefs, response and tastes can change, but at any one moment I think our choices are predetermined by previous events, yes. I cannot see how it can be different unless there is a separate entity making choices for us which is totally detached from our previous experiences and I see no evidence for that.

torridon

« Reply #25759 on: January 10, 2018, 08:12:20 PM »
Yes, but some are most definitely controlled.I control the act of deciding whether or not to bother to choosing a number
I chose not to bother.

Yes, we've noticed you are never really interested in actually engaging with insight.  Habitual avoidance is rendering you a long way behind the curve.

Alan Burns

« Reply #25760 on: January 10, 2018, 08:14:07 PM »
Yes, we've noticed you are never really interested in actually engaging with insight.  Habitual avoidance is rendering you a long way behind the curve.
But it is still my free choice, and I choose not to engage in fruitless excercises

torridon

« Reply #25761 on: January 10, 2018, 08:15:30 PM »

Can you honestly believe that your mind state in any moment is not a consequence of what has gone before ?

Something good happens, we feel happy; Something bad happens, we feel upset. 

We do not choose our mind state, it forms within us as a consequence.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:20:18 PM by torridon »

Maeght

« Reply #25762 on: January 10, 2018, 08:17:47 PM »
But it is still my free choice, and I choose not to engage in fruitless excercises

Or your brain is programmed to do it.

torridon

« Reply #25763 on: January 10, 2018, 08:19:17 PM »

Like the teacher's nightmare pupil, not the one who finds learning difficult, but the one who doesn't want to learn.

ippy

« Reply #25764 on: January 10, 2018, 11:05:42 PM »

Just trying to comply with human scientific theory, I wonder if you realise exactly what you're, in effect saying here?

Complying with human scientific theory that could also be described as, complying with a reasoned, evidence based theory, I would say reasoned thoughts trump assertion any time, why is this so difficult for you to understand Alan?

I also noticed you haven't managed to learn anything from the rather large amount of posts that mostly appeal for some sort of reasoned reply from you, looks like a reasoned reply from your direction unfortunatly that wont be arriving any time soon, it would also be good to hear a sensible answer from you that doesn't include another one of your meaningless assertions Alan.

All of the very best wishes and kind regards to you Alan, ippy

torridon

« Reply #25765 on: January 11, 2018, 07:24:41 AM »
Just trying to comply with human scientific theory, I wonder if you realise exactly what you're, in effect saying here?

Complying with human scientific theory that could also be described as, complying with a reasoned, evidence based theory, I would say reasoned thoughts trump assertion any time, why is this so difficult for you to understand Alan?

yes, well picked up.

'just trying to comply with human scientific theory' is both condescending, as if Alan is above all that mere human stuff, therefore above all the rest of us; also it suggests the idea that we all secretly see the world like Alan, but are affecting otherwise out of some sort of politically correct nod to the current supremacy of science.

Alan Burns

« Reply #25766 on: January 11, 2018, 10:15:30 AM »
Like the teacher's nightmare pupil, not the one who finds learning difficult, but the one who doesn't want to learn.
And what is it that drives this want? (or lack of it)?
You have hit on the unique human gift of being free to do what they want - within certain constraints of course.

Alan Burns

« Reply #25767 on: January 11, 2018, 10:17:45 AM »

But no matter how reasoned human thoughts can be, they do not trump reality.

torridon

« Reply #25768 on: January 11, 2018, 10:27:56 AM »
And what is it that drives this want? (or lack of it)?
You have hit on the unique human gift of being free to do what they want - within certain constraints of course.

My rationale says there are reasons behind that want, yours has only 'mystery'.  My rationale says there are reasons for things; yours just has souls wanting things with no explanation or derivation. My rationale is true to the sweeping insight that all things are connected and every action has consequences; you've just got a magic black box, disconnected, irrational, inexplicable.  If a god created this universe, then he made it understandable, in principle, it seems, and we are at our best when we rise to that challenge, rather than just settling for 'magic'.

floo

« Reply #25769 on: January 11, 2018, 10:33:53 AM »

Your reality is different to mine.

Alan Burns

« Reply #25770 on: January 11, 2018, 10:41:06 AM »
My rationale says there are reasons behind that want, yours has only 'mystery'.  My rationale says there are reasons for things; yours just has souls wanting things with no explanation or derivation. My rationale is true to the sweeping insight that all things are connected and every action has consequences; you've just got a magic black box, disconnected, irrational, inexplicable.  If a god created this universe, then he made it understandable, in principle, it seems, and we are at our best when we rise to that challenge, rather than just settling for 'magic'.
I believe God's universe was intended to be consciously understood and manipulated, but these attributes of conscious understanding and manipulation are in themselves beyond human comprehension - because they are not of this inherently deterministic universe.

floo

« Reply #25771 on: January 11, 2018, 10:44:51 AM »
I believe God's universe was intended to be consciously understood and manipulated, but these attributes of conscious understanding and manipulation are in themselves beyond human comprehension - because they are not of this inherently deterministic universe.

Your god is a psycho if it deliberately created something, which it knew would cause terrible suffering to some of its puppets!

torridon

« Reply #25772 on: January 11, 2018, 10:45:57 AM »

That's nonsense, without any justification.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #25773 on: January 11, 2018, 12:34:14 PM »

A superb example of vacuous theobabble: well done you.

ippy

« Reply #25774 on: January 11, 2018, 02:06:17 PM »

=====

There you go again Alan, throwing your rationality to the wind and going to ridiculous illogical lengths to square things with your mind about your unsubstantiated unsupported beliefs.

With the kindest of all possible well wishing regards Alan, ippy.